Is comedy anime dead?

Honestly, when was the last time an anime made you laught without resorting to anime industry selfreferences or being cute?

Luluco.
Mob Psycho.
Tanaka.
Sakamoto.

I'm rather easy person to amuse..

Recently watched Magi, and the whole 19th episode was gold.

20 minute format and tempo of anime in general work badly with comedy. Stuff like gag manga biyori work better.

About four hours ago.

>it's an infinite amount of yottsuns until more Mayoiga

>Mob Psycho.
People find that show funny? I mean, its fun to watch but definetively not funny.

>Sakamoto.
I had a werid experience with this show, heard great things about the manga and checked the anime and it bored me to death, I dropped after the fat mom episode.

Then I picked the manga and it blew my sides. And I don't think is a bad adaptation, but I guess there are some things that doesn't work on anime format. All the reactions from the background characters kind of spoils all the jokes, like those murrican show with laughs, its so forced that it makes you feel the oposite.

Yesterday.

Quite a long time ago, but that's not least as my sense of humour is fairly dry. The way most animes are currently it's usually schadenfreude or hyperbole that makes me laugh.

Last season had tanaka and sakamoto

I genuinely laughed watching Konosuba but I guess that's just me

Nichijou

Big Order was also a great unintentional comedy

>I guess that's just me
I thought everyone who watched Konosuba found it at least pretty funny?

Tanaka was nice but not really "comedy". Neither is mob now.

Saiki is really doing the comedy genre justice now.

Also made me laugh, i was also surprised at how funny i found certain bits in New Game.

Tanaka had a lot of dead pan humor, it was good.

There was a single scene where I think they held the moment for a few seconds too long, though.

relife, new game

Handa. That fucking X = 12 gets me every time.

I was a firm believer that Japanese people couldn't be funny until konosuba.

Servant x Service is the funniest anime I've watched in recent years. Non Non Biyori was funny too.

>Saiki
Too bad that it's still on the verge of getting axed recently.
Nips just couldn't appreciate decent comedy.

Yesterday.

Gintama is basically chock full of them.

Granted theres a lot of crotch humor but it still manages to do good with other kinds of humor

It also made me laught but it relied too much in the rpg parody thing. Not that it is something bad, but its something you find pretty common, I wish more comedy relied on comedy instead of just parody.

But I guess anime in general is a type of media prone to selfreference and feed back itself.

Konosuba.

Recent anime:
Prison School
Konosuba
Sakamoto
Galko-Chan
Luluco
Bakuon

Older anime that I've seen recently:
Jubei-Chan
Kodomo no Omocha
Dragon Half

I don't know, anime has been pretty funny for me lately.

>type of media
That's called a "medium".

Active raid
Kokkuri san
New game
Working!!!
Nichijou
Tanaka kun
Konosuba
Galko chan
Bakuon
List could be endless but I would stop here

I think my first was Excel Saga and the last show to make me laugh hard was S.Y.D.

Seto no Hanayome S2 fucking where?

I second this. Konosuba was last anime that actually made me pause it so I could laugh it off for a moment at multiple points.

Ange vierge.

RE:Zero

Just watch Saiki.

Why in the world doesn't self-reference count? And do you mean industry like the actual production like New Game and Shirobako, or industry like any kind of anime navelgazing?

Gag Manga Biyori. An adaptation from the manga and have 4 seasons. The episodic plots and multiple characters being put in different situations are fun to watch. It also doesn't rely much on pop culture references.

Re:zero runs this season. Best comedy of the year.

This is probably the last new one I watched, though I haven't followed seasonal stuff in a while (and still haven't finished Kuma Miko).

In general, good comedy series tend to go under the radar because there's not much to talk about (unless you go full retard with meme shouting), the average watchers have terrible sense of humor and the average comedy series aren't really that funny (as an overall package with characters, setting, pacing, originality and references, not to mention production side like art style, animation, voice acting and music), but series like Cuticle Tantei Inaba and Sekkou Boys still suddenly happen, not to mention long-running giants like Gintama and Working!! still hanging there.

I picked Sakamoto with the anime and overall it felt quite average as a comedy; somewhat original premise with generic characters and setting, done with poor execution, especially with the various tsukkomi (internal monolog, reactions) dragging the pace down, which isn't a problem in manga since you can read it as fast as you can.

Tsukkomi is definitely the laugh track over there and the people who know how to use it to make jokes actually funnier than without it are very rare among both gag manga/anime authors and Japanese 3DPD comedians (owarai geinin).

>Active raid
That series improved a lot since S1, moving more towards the comedy was the right call.

It has movie references but Momoka is what made the show funny.

F I G H T F O R J U S T I C E

Yesterday, Saiki.

Macademi Wasshoi! Episode 5

Yesterday, almost 24h ago. Right before I went to be, probably somewhere around the middle of the episode I was watching.

Read some manga then. I find Renai Kaidan Sayoko-san extremely hilarious.

Aqua cleansing the lake is the funniest shit i've seen in a long time. Shame the comedy kinda went downhill as the show went on.

Comedy/gag manga is never be the top ranking in magazine.
But they can run long with their low expectation and their books selling.

A few days ago when Active Raid aired

Anime has never had strong comedy.

Kyoukai no Rinne

And what has?

Movies? When has a move made you laugh?
TV shows are getting more horrible every year and good shows get ruined few seasons in by greed and laziness.

Gintama had me crying from laughter, Nichijou and Konosuba were great too.

Only thing that was on par with that is british comedy stand up.

You can't expect every episode to be great and things should be judged as a whole.

Comparing shows to Nichibros is unfair.

I agree though, there hasn't been good comedy anime for a long time. Shows that actually make you laugh

Even Konosuba is not very funny. Characters are too dumb. And jokes are mean-spirited. Ixion Saga DT is a funnier show with similar premise.

This.
Anime is not very good at comedy usually, if we take away the infatuation with the cute characters, almost all tries fall flat in humor.
For example Sakamoto was okay-ish yet still a bit underwhelming in humor, but it also lacked characters you would like, so it felt a bit worse than how it was.

Saiki is not bad though. Too bad it has low production quality and shit voice acting. Better read the manga.

Everyone forgets excel saga

Galaxy Angel is the funniest anime of all time.

Not anime but this is great.

now this is high quality comedy

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun certainly relied on industry references, but it was great.

While I agree with you
It is quite filled with anime industries references. And the girls are cute

I miss Azumanga Daioh.

Sakamoto.
Saiki this season.
You're a faggot OP.

nice rec thread but i'll bite

konosuba
mob psycho
sakamoto

>I genuinely laughed watching Konosuba but I guess that's just me
I actually thought all Japanese female writers in japan didn't know what comedy was until I saw Konosuba. Then I got the doubleshock that not only was it incredibly funny but it sported one of the best MCs in recent anime history; a double gut punch provided by a very talented female writer.

proving occasionally, women can do things other then cook, bleed and spawn children after losing to the dick.

Thumbs up for Akatsuki Natsume, shame more MALE writers can't grasp what makes a good mc like Natsume did.

Tiny hand

sauce

Saiki.

Underrated post.

Osomatsu-san was pretty funny, even with all the meta jokes

>People find that show funny?

Yes, turn out that there are 7 billion people on the world, and not all of them have your type of humor.

Will there ever be another anime as funny as NichiBros?

D-Frag!

Search the image from the archive and you'll find it.

Enjoying Handa-kun atm, I think its pretty good.

Boueibu is hilarious.

The parts of Amagi where the mascots bring up their divorce/child custody problems make me laugh.

>Honestly, when was the last time an anime made you laught without resorting to anime industry selfreferences or being cute?

What's wrong with being cute? That's a big part of comedy anime. I'm sorry if there's no anime equivalent of Family Guy.

But in answer to your question, I laughed tons during Galko-chan.

already did and got nothing

Sabagebu was fucking great but two years isn't really what I'd call recent. I still wish we had more anime like that.

Not anime but Saint Onii-san. The OVAs & movie are more to comfy than funny but the manga is GOAT. Hinamatsuri too.

if Tanaka wasn't comedy then what is it? Drama? Action?

You're doing something wrong.

Best 11th episode ever.

Konosuba for recent stuff
nothing has come close to Fumoffu or Seto no Hanayome for me though

I didn't want to give Saiki a try due to the artstyle at first, but I've had quite a few laughs from it.

The season before that, Tanaka-kun was a really great sleeper hit with how it delivered its comedy not through slapstick humor, but by just letting a scene hang before moving on as if nothing happened.

>hey guys I've watched about 20 Essential Anime, why aren't there any anime like x?

comfy sol my favorite

If the anime ever comes, they better make it good.

I don't know if I laughed harder at the show or at the threads.

I dropped season 2 after probably 3 episodes
Pleas tell me it's worth watching

Wait, Konosuba was written by a woman? I don't know how to feel about that.

Last week when I watched the latest AV episode.

>only one person has mentioned Osomatsu-san, comedy of the decade contender

God damn, step up your fucking game, Sup Forums

>fujomatsu
>giving a shit

Osumatsu-san stopped being funny after the first episode. Also the OP clearly mentions without resulting to self-awareness, meaning most fans of the series can actually read, unlike you.