Retro Sup Forumsnime Thread

Can we have a retro thread? Post what you've been watching recently/what you think etc. etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/iT3K-ve-D4I?t=2m27s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Code Geass
>Retro

Why retro design looks better than most morden design? Watched Birdy 1996 OVA and I find realy dificult to watch the newer version with this "updated" designs. Aside from Birdy herself, all others look generic as fuck

I want to pick up more anime on Laserdisc, but it requires some homework as I can't stomach dubbing.

They weren't pandering to otaku who will only watch and pay for shit drawn in that generic style we got now.

Watched this a few days ago, does that count as retro? Never watched the Swan Lake play so I can't compare it to that. Thought it felt sort of like one of those old Disney movies.

It doesn't necessarily.

Is kind of true, but there's tons of 90s anime that I think looks really ugly. Actually most of it. Those chins, man.

I finished the Lodoss OVA recently. Not bad. The one on one fights were fairly well done, but scenes like a dragon flying were panning, but it wasn't terrible. I'm grabbing as many fantasy anime as my shiternet will let me, and older shows seem to do sword and sorcery much better than newer ones.

Well I think it's more so the fact that the OVA was a commercial for the manga, and those designs look similar to early Masami art.

I finished Nadia the last week. It was pretty good, and the filler was nowhere close to as bad as I feared from what people were saying. It was pretty fun, had some interesting character development, although when the mosquito bites became a plot point I knew I wanted it to end. Episode 34 had some really nice qualities too that I'm not going to spoil.

Digital, but after I finished Nadia I started Eureka Seven. Only seen a few episodes so far. Please tell me this sexually problematic content ends, and I don't have to suffer through this for 50 episodes. It's painful to watch.

How old is "retro"?

Before 2000?

I consider anime that used cell animation as "retro" but it is a very broad term

I would say anything until cel animation went out in favor of digital. The Big O S1 and Jin-Roh were among the last few.

Before digital

It's definitely not if that's what you're thinking.

Pre-1990

Which Dezaki production is objectively the best? And why is it Aim for the Ace?

But 1990 didn't mark any real change in style.

Yes it did

I'm not sure if this counts.

No it didn't and if you think that image is an accurate representation of ALL of those decades, you're wrong.

Does Trigun count as retro? Is it old enough yet?

pew pew pew

Okay, I guess it doesn't. I don't know if it's considered retarded to reply to one's own thread on Sup Forums, but I'll do it anyway.

Anyone know what became of Live-eviL's plan to sub the Wizard of Oz?

I'm aware, I don't like the 90s anime aesthetic either. It was also not literally picked up on Jan 1, 1990.

Creative young Dezaki.
Sports is just so gud.

>They weren't pandering to otaku
wwwww

My Best Friends - St. Andrew Jogakuin-hen
It's actually a strip puzzle for the Saturn with anime FMV.

I know the Cross Game anime isn't retro but the manga is and I really like the storytelling and artstyle. Gonna watch some more by the author soon.

I'm also still watching Ranma 1/2. Only 69 episodes in but this show is way better than the harem/ecchi stuff that come out today. Way more creative and funny than the derivative shit that I'm use to.

why does retro feel so comfy and right ?

what is thy desire?

Anne of Green Gables.

>the manga is
It started in 2005. How is that retro?

Hand drawn grittiness, comfy layer of grain. New stuff is sterile which puts you at unease.

Does YKK count?

Watching Kite feels like watching an extended version of the anime short from Kill Bill Vol 1.

>Gonna watch some more by the author soon
Yeah you should watch/read Touch next.

Avoid Kite Liberation

>watched like a third to a half of all available gundam
>none of it involved a whole uc segment

>Avoid Kite Liberation
It wasn't THAT bad user, it just wasn't nearly as good as Kite.

It was you who broke my hassan plate.

Just finished episode 6 of Votoms and it was pretty much a scene from starwars. Will it ever be military mecha action?

I've had ~15 years to watch Eva and still haven't. It's like I shouldn't even bother at this point. I also never watched Berserk, but that looks to be a good idea to keep it that way.

>White people?

>*crowd starts getting upset and heckles begin*

>Listen listen my brothers!

>White people should be fucking ENSLAVED!

>*crowd starts slowly applauding*

>Every single fucking subhuman white man should be strung on meat hooks

>*crowd starts standing and giving a standing ovation*

>The white man should then be anally penetrated with not black cocks, but black dildos

>*crowd is stunned and is getting slightly violent*

>Why you ask? These privileged white men don't deserve the dark chocolate cock!!!!

>*crowd ferociously yells in approval*

>These white men will only lick up the creme filling after their women are chained up and rammed by the giant chocolate yodels that are the BBC!!!!!

>*crowd is making tribal chants*

>We will hunt down the white man!! We shall castrate them all and sacrifice their women to the black man!!!!!! The offspring will be brought to the interracial breeding grounds!!!! I will clean up the remains with my white boy tongue!!! I shall serve the black man's cock with my white boy tongue!!!! The black man will have his way with me and my people!!!!

>*crowd is erupting and stampedes the theater as the white men are hog tied and dragged to the cock chambers and the women willfully submit to their black masters

>SHABAZZ!!! SHABAZZ!!!! THE BLACK MAN SHALL RISE AGAIN. LITTLE WHITE DICK? i DON'T THINK SO!!!!!

They weren't pandering to the otaku of today. The otaku of the '90s liked other shit and were less into light novel and visual novel garbage.

Berserk TV is good as fuck.

I didn't know there were people on Sup Forums who haven't seen NGE.

Don't you feel left out?

damn I thought it was earlier than that. by like 20 years

There was a marked difference in body type. 90s bodies became much thinner and longer-limbed.
Great example is looking at 80s Dirty Pair

Compared to their 90s iteration.

I may have had some interest in One Piece, KanColle, and School Days, but I don't think I want to end up having to ride on an im@s boat.

Nope? I'm not denying Eva's history, but there are elevens who joined the current anime industry that never watched it and don't really need to. It's not like I won't be able to enjoy the OP etc without watching it. It's just one series within that timeframe and that's not including older.

I watched the first part of Giant Robo. Don't really know what's going on but it's pretty cool. Has a more Lupin-esque feel than I imagined. Might rewatch before continuing to see if I get more of it, I dunno.

He always makes such stylish stuff. I really need to learn Japanese, because at this point I'm the only one who wants to translate his stuff.

That is only six episodes.

>but there are elevens who joined the current anime industry that never watched it
That's gotta be some serious bullshit.

Holy shit that's so true. I don't know why Ace wo Nerae S2 hasn't been translated yet.

The first OVAs, yes.
I don't care for Kei but Yuri looks pretty good.

Why Kei is sexual as fuck? She is like sex incarneted

I wish I could watch this over again.

Depends on what you want to believe. You could say Love Live is "popular" with Japanese "otaku", yet you could go to their events involving general anime music all year round and you'd barely hear it. Eva or something like Pokemon are not immune to the effects of time.

One of the episodes in Flash had Kei giving her tit to a baby.

I love Takahiro Kimura character designs.

Ongoing. If you're following Live-eviL be prepared to be in for the long haul.

I've been keeping an eye on Queen Millennia for years.

There's definitely art styles that are distinctively 90s. We're arguing over technicalities. Just that things released in 1990 and 1991 don't really look too different from late 80s stuff.

In any event, look what happened to the poor Lunar series between 1994 and 1998.

I am watching maison ikkoku right now and it is pretty good.

The second Maruko-chan movie is pretty good, trippy music video sequences mixed with nostalgic-feeling slice of life.

what
I have no idea what you're talking about anymore

Where're you at user? I'm at ep 26.

1997 berserk is fucking great. I didn't read the manga

>1997 berserk is fucking great.
It's not.
And the manga is better.

But this movie came out in 2006 and used traditional cels.

Was it really?

All of the Pokemon movies until Diamond and Pearl used traditional cel animation.

You can see the texture a lot better on a moving image.

What counts as retro? 99 and earlier?

Impressive.
But for what purpose? It's not like kids would notice the difference.
I mean, even Ghibli stopped using cel animation after Mononoke.

Oh yeah. The 80s in Japan lasted almost to 95.
One of the early stick-girls was Nadia from Gainax in 1990.

Does this hold true for the show? Recently watched a bit of the Hoenn arc and looked a bit like cel animation.

What does even mean? If you want to be on top of the game, on top of the market, you got to make use of every improvement you can get. So Ghibli did.

I think is time to watch Pokemon movies then.

Nah.
Show switched to digital part way through Johto.

Have fun.

How about that Yawara, though

I wish Saizen would hurry up with those BD releases.
I don't understand why they can't just release the raws and their old subs re stylized.

Any good XDCC List for old anime?

>xdcc
>for old anime

xdcc is bad for old anime, what are you doing?

So, I have to stick with torrents?

1997 berserk is fucking great. I've read the manga.
2 filler episodes vs. 2 volumes of filler (saving Griffith). I'd rather take the 2 episodes.

Anime? Image search turns up nothing

Stop being dumb, user.

Bakabt should be fine for most older series. It's only really currently licensed shit from Funi that they take down.

The subs are definitely better, at least. The ones for the first 40 episodes or so came from the AnimEigo DVD release from way back when.

After I watch episode 13 of the Blu rips I think I'm gonna push on with the old versions so I can just watch the show because I don't want to wait half a decade for Saizen to finish slightly re-writing the subs.

I have been recently watching "You're under arrest". Pretty good so far, and comfy as fuck.

That's one of my favorites of all time. Good choice user.

Is City Hunter worth the 100+ episodes?
The opening alone makes me nostalgic for something that I have never even seen.

Yes.
100+ isn't even that bad, senpai. And City Hunter is definitely worth it.

It's not that bad when you actually just sit down and watch for a few hours at a time, but going in 100+ eps feels pretty daunting.

It's not the length that I'm afraid of, really. Older shows just tend to be more episodic instead of having longer story arcs.
Like, I just finished Galaxy Express 999 and felt that half of the episodes could have been cut and no character development would have been lost.
Marathoning something like Yu Yu Hakusho is so much more easier because the episodes are at least somewhat connected.

No. That would be Rose of Versailles or Ashita no Joe 2.

Watched Ai City. It was kinda interesting, but also bad. The opening scene is really cool, but the music is bad and the story just confusing. If you want a B-version of Akira, watch this.
youtu.be/iT3K-ve-D4I?t=2m27s