Anyone here Autistic Enough to watch anime on VHS?

Anyone here Autistic Enough to watch anime on VHS?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jVoSQP2yUYA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why do people keep making VHS threads? Is it the same retard that keeps making these threads?

Can't appreciate what you have without going backwards.

Not really, but enough to watch DVDs in 4:3.

I would totally do this.

Problem is finding a decent VCR.

I like to call those "Autism Bars". A friend of mine flips his shit whenever something on his $1000 TV is displayed in 4:3.

There is literally no reason to watch something with a sub-DVD effective resolution filled with transfer problems and analogical degradation.

>There is literally no reason

Aesthetics. They're going to be unplayable one day soon, may as well enjoy them for a few more years while you can right?

>Anyone here Autistic Enough to watch anime on VHS?
It's not a question of autism.
Face it - there'll be a significant portion of the anime output on home video formats that will never get a DVD release. It'll forever be on VHS (like Kaikan Phrase) or on laserdisc.

>young people today will never understand the pleasure of sliding a VHS tape into a VCR
I pity the youth.
I still have a vhs of the old Akira dub.

I think it's a combination of people trying to recreate the epic VHS thread from a few weeks ago and people reminded of the existence of VHS through the recent news on the end of VCR production.

>young people today will never understand the pleasure of sliding a VHS tape into a VCR

I remember when people would say that ironically.

>A friend of mine flips his shit whenever something on his $1000 TV is displayed in 4:3.
Not everything out there was recorded in 16:9. Punch him next time an episode of Alf shows up and he flips out. I detest watching things in the wrong aspect.

>They're going to be unplayable one day soon
Only when a machine eats the tape.
There are color videotapes from 1958 that still contain a signal and are still playable. Search "An Evening with Fred Astaire." It won 8 Emmy awards when it first aired, and a 9th when a man named Ed Reitan made it possible to recover the video from the source.

>like Kaikan Phrase

Did that actually come out in america? I didn't think there was a Fujoshi marked in america in the 90s.

>the end of VCR production
Just means Funai won't make them.
Someone else will.

Same with cassette tapes, though hipsters are trying to keep those alive.

I wish I could watch Lain on VHS to be honest, feels like the anime atmosphere would benefit from it.

Do those degrade like VHS do? Casette tapes are on Magnetic tape that degrades with time right?

Late 90s and early 00s there was a massive one.

Inuyasha, Clampshit, etc

There isn't literally any reason for watching vhs except muh aesthetics.
I can understand people buying vinyls because they are supossed to sound better (or different), but VHS are inferior in every way to Blu Ray and DVD.
You guys miss VHS because it reminds you of your childhood going on friday to Blockbuster and renting Ghost in the Shell for the robotits.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
People who watch stuff in the original aspect ratio are sticklers for image quality and fidelity, while those who stretch stuff to fit the TV are sticklers for complete screen real estate usage.

If my copy of Quiet Riot's Metal Health is anything to go by, they do degrade, but it takes quite a while.

I bought mai waifu's series on VHS because I'm insane. I also want to buy the UMDs.

Lain on VHS is an Experience.

No shit, Sherlock.

>I can understand people buying vinyls because they are supposed to sound better (or different)

They don't sound better, they were RECORDED better. Records were recorded quietly, so you could turn up the volume if you want. Modern CDs were recorded LOUD, & then when you turn up the volume they distort.

Now with things like spotify automatically adjusting audio we're barely recovering from the loudness wars.

Casettes are simply awful. The worst thing about them is how they can unravel in the machine, leaving you with a lovely mess of tape everywhere. It takes true hipster spirit to be enthusiastic about those awful things.

Vinyls do sound different; they generally contain the original sound mix.

>Casettes are simply awful.

You keep telling yourself that.

youtube.com/watch?v=jVoSQP2yUYA

I own more anime on UMD than I do on VHS. They cost a dollar fifty each and I like the satisfying noise my spring loaded PSP 1000 makes. I have about 10 movies total on the thing. The real problem is that the library is mostly then current mid 2000s movies, which in the case of live action stuff, means junk.

I still have old VHS tapes of recorded episodes of YYH and Outlaw Star I used to watch with my sister.

I don't have the heart to get rid of them ;_;

Don't have any official commercial anime VHSs though, not like I didn't rent a ton back in the day (like the digimon movie)

Funai quit the business because of low demand and low availability of parts. You could argue about the former being reversed (say, a hipster craze like vinyl), but the latter is going to be much harder.

A manufacturer like Funai had to rely on a network of suppliers for specialized parts used only for VCR's. When VHS was all the rage, this was a lucrative and competitive business. As VHS slowly fell from grace, some of these suppliers laid off or reassigned workers (losing knowhow), scrapped tooling (losing production capacity) or even went out of business. By now, it was probably getting to the point where they had to pay a lot to simply keep a production line alive, or hunt unsold stocks of parts. Funai quitting only makes this worse, since now there's even less money in the VCR parts business.

With the industry in this condition, there's going to be a much higher barrier for entry for any new player and higher costs for any existing player. I doubt that even a VHS fad would be enough to suddenly resurrect all of that forgotten knowledge, tooling and supplier network. Anyone seeking to make a new VCR player would have to reinvent a lot of wheels in the process, putting it way out of reach for hipster impulse purcahses.

Yes, stuff like Impossible Project exists, but it works because the product in question (instant photo media) is simple enough to have a factory producing it from simple raw materials, making it possible to buy all the machinery and just keep producing. Good luck doing that with a VCR.

Can you slim that down a bit?

>Funai quits making VCRs, throws out its VCR making machines and forgets about them
>VCR part makers throw out their VCR part making machines and forget about them
>to make new VCRs, your'e going to have to build new machines that nobody remembers
Hardly anyone was willing to make VCR's before, and now it's even worse, since you'd pretty much have to reinvent them.

My condolences.

Use and storage conditions.

I had a few Pokemon episodes on VHS