So why was Light killed when Near and co knew if he died the world would go back to being shit...

So why was Light killed when Near and co knew if he died the world would go back to being shit? Even in the epilogue they start doubting whether it was a good idea or not.

eh, fuck him. he was good for a spectacle but nothing more.

dude justice LMAO

Because criminals are criminals and blah blah.

Because he was still technically a murderer and they wasted so much time and effort trying to find him

yeah its flimsy writing

Why is Guts trying to kill Griffith when the world is technically better now?

You can't stop someone's revenge user. They can mask it as justice and whatnot, but revenge is revenge.

It's pretty simple. He was going to be apprehended. But then he made an attempt to kill them, so they had to shoot.

Because he's a filthy pathetic piece of human trash with a god complex that deserves to bleed to death crying for help. Because mass murder of people he has never even met is definitely an effective solution.

Lightfags are truly retarded. What he did was not justified. What he did was not right. He deserved much worse than what he got.

A murderer's a murderer no matter what their justifications may be.

I wonder how many innocent people Light murdered in his glorified killing spree? He didn't know the cases for every single person's name he wrote down. And, believe it or not, it is possible to be falsely convicted.

I wonder just how many completely innocent people Light murdred while telling himself he was helping the world?

In the live action drama he was burned to death.

>Because he's a filthy pathetic piece of human trash with a god complex that deserves to bleed to death crying for help.
Yeah, the man who took global world crime rates down by 70% got what he deserved. Death for all the good he did and people he honestly helped.

Stay sedated by society, it suits you. tell me, if government passed a law where you lick shit off the floor would you do it?

Governments were starting to lose power, IIRC. He was a foreigner agent that was disrupting structures of power.

>Stay sedated by society, it suits you.

Because the ends do not justify the means. For all his talk of justice, all Light ever was is a murderer. "Oh but he only murdered criminals." Nope. He murdered people who on his cursory examination appeared to be criminals. And police officers who investigate these murders and strangely aren't willing to take "don't investigate, I'm totally only killing people who deserve it" at face value. And he announced his intention to kill people who aren't criminals but just aren't what he considers morally upright enough.

Tell me, ever-so mature individual who's definitely not an edgy faggot, how do you explain
All those people just don't matter? Have to break eggs to make an omelet? What bullshit do you spew out to justify murdering innocent people?

Not to mention that he might've brought down crime rate in a fictional universe, but this bullshit would never happen in the real world if someone had a DN.

>the world is technically better now?

The world already was shit with Light fucking with it due to his misguided god complex.

Light was evil, plain and simple.

If you were actually rooting for Light then you are a fucking edgelord.

I think he was questioning the collateral damage caused by Light, not the other way around

le edge xd

Episodes 26-37 didn't happen

Yeah crime dropped heavily, but everyone in the world lived in constant fear and was too scared to commit even the most simple of crimes.

He stripped mankind of there free will and forced them to be good not out of a sense of general willingness to be good, but out of fear of committing evil.

Is a drastic reduction of crime really worth living in constant fear of being killed by a tyrant?

Nice try, most people supported Kira. That makes you the edgelords!

Some innocents die. That's the unfortunate reality of having power and trying to achieve objectives. The fact that there were "innocents" in the criminal system proves the faultiness of the very judiciary system Light and many others snubbed their noses at.

Get your head out of care bear world and face reality.

I love this meme.

You can't be in a position of power and not get your hands dirty, the same system that was out to get light had just as much blood on their hands as a whole I'm sure.

I'm not saying what he did was right, only that light and the law are the same in that they are both forces which give themselves the authority to dish out punishment as they see fit.

Deathnote is simply a power struggle between 2 imperfect sides.

>too scared to commit even the most simple of crimes
Uh, good? People shouldn't commit crimes. People get punished if they commit crimes. All that means is Light's methods were more effective at doing the job than law enforcement.

If you love freedom so much, get rid of laws.

>ends do not justify the means
Funny you say this while Sup Forums sucks Lelouch's cock. Why? Because he was right and so is Light. Results are what matter and both got good results.

Sorry, that's the way of the world. Politicians are professional criminals and everyone knows it. But they'll be forgiven if they deliver the goods.

That's the fucking point of Death Note. It shows the double edged sword of leaving the world the way it is or reducing crime by stripping free will away from mankind.

Yeah the system is fucked and yeah the world is in a bad state, but with Light at the reins the world got worse.

Light was an evil tyrant and got everything he deserved.

Yeah sure, because we should all live in fear of dying of a heart attack just for taking a cookie from a cookie jar.

>If you love freedom so much, get rid of laws.
Good lord, you are both edgy AND an idiot. Yes... AN EDGIOT.

Oh look, another thread of edgy faggots insisting they're actually totally mature.

>yeah its flimsy writing
>we should just let a serial killer with a supernatural power to kill whoever he deems unworthy to run amok

The fundamental difference between Light and Lelouch is that Light thought that what he was doing was justified. Lelouch knew that he was committing evil and that he would have to pay the price in the end.

Light saw himself as God while Lelouch knew that he was devilish.

Light was a coward who died a pitiful death begging for his life while Lelouch faced his death head on after focusing all the world's hate on him in order to bring an end to all global strife.

Light was a pitiful coward while Lelouch was a tragic hero.

>Get your head out of care bear world and face reality.
Oh man, DNfags are just adorable. Mind recommending me the best Linkin Park album while you're here? I mean, you're obviously worldly and knowledgeable.

Death Note: Entry-level edge-faggotry great for making its viewers think they've become more intelligent.

>Light at the reins the world got worse
Actually it objectively got better and went back to shit when he died. Light being a meanie didn't mean dick because he was doing a lot of good.
>Yeah sure, because we should all live in fear of dying of a heart attack just for taking a cookie from a cookie jar.
Nice slippery slope. You're still on the wrong side, the contrarian side and by definition: edgy.

It is pretty much a "GUARANTEED REPLIES: The Thread" and still is after almost 10 years

It's just the Lightfags that are edgy.
>doing a lot of good by committing mass genocide
>Lightfag calling others edgy

If any of you honestly thought what Light did was justified than you miss the ENTIRE point of the series.

None of that matters. Both committed heinous acts but good came out of it. Knowing he was a bastard didn't absolve Lelouch and being the 'better man' of the worth isn't worth anything. All that mattered was the end result.

It's simple: Light lost, Lelouch won. That's the true reason people praise one and hate the other.
Funny you post Archer. You realize he killed innocents along with the guilty, right? And it was righteous.

>genocide
Who, criminals? What a shame. Are you one of those kids who makes a big stink about some thug getting the death sentence?
Except the end implied you can make up your own mind. Sorry you can't think for yourself but that's expected. It is a kid's manga after all.

Trouble is, making a good world to live in is very complex, and simple solutions such as "these are the rules, you break them you die" and "there are no rules whatsoever" are inadequate.

I think he was referring to Light planning to kill reformed criminals and "lazy" people (the latter of which describes most of Sup Forums). Still doesn't change the fact that using "genocide" as an argument against Light is fucktarded.

Yeah Light killed some innocent and good people, but he was shown killing bad people far more often. The only thing you can argue against that is that we don't know if all the criminals he killed were rightly convicted.

>Who, criminals? What a shame. Are you one of those kids who makes a big stink about some thug getting the death sentence?
There's a difference between murder and capital punishment you edgiot.

>Except the end implied you can make up your own mind.
Both of the mangaka behind Death Note say flat out in interviews that Light was evil and that his life was ruined when he picked up the Death Note. When the fucking creators of Death Note say outright that Light was evil and that you're not supposed to root for him, I'm pretty sure that that settles it.

>if he died the world would go back to being shit?
What do you think would happen when he died of old age anyways? Not like anyone else could have taken up his reigns. We see this with Mikami and Misa, both are his "disciples" aren't cut from the same cloth and for all he would have built up it would have collapsed on itself instantly.

At the end of the day he was just a man with a god complex. Another criminal who thought his actions were justified when it was all just his own mental gymnastics working to frame his actions in a positive light.

For all the good Light was doing, he was also taking away people's freedom and ruling through fear, so good thing to do or now, he had to be stopped to get that freedom back.

>Because he's a filthy pathetic piece of human trash with a god complex that deserves to bleed to death crying for help

Careful with that edge.

But everything in between the extremes are just as imperfect and also subject to human error.

Light gets so much shit because he isn't this infallible being, but neither is anyone else or any system of government for that matter. A organized execution is no more justified than a execution carried out by one man.

My goal isn't to offend you by saying this, but you should really know that you've had the attitude of a conceited asshole in this thread. You are neither going to entertain, nor convince anybody else this way.

You should also know that all five of these statements...
>None of that matters.
>Both committed heinous acts
>good came out of it.
>being the 'better man'of the worth isn't worth anything.
>All that mattered was the end result.
...are quite attackable, depending on one's moral foundation.
Just look over that teleological/consequentialist edge of the plate of yours and at least recognize that positions like virtue ethics and deontology exist, too.

To answer your question, op, the only reason Near and Mello wanted to stop light was because they wanted to be better than L. The cops wanted to stop Light out of a sense of "justice" even after he explained to them the whole "Reduced crime rate by 70% and stopped wars" shit.

The thing I don't understand is the argument that he "took away free will and made people live in fear". Made who live in fear? Criminals? Because normal people, aka not fucking rapists and murderers had nothing to worry about. If anything, life was better off for them knowing that anyone who would commit crimes would be killed. The only people who were "oppressed" would be people who don't deserve to live anyway.

Because Light was still getting to the point where even simple things he disagreed with were becoming a 'crime', or even people who went against him.

Did he do a lot of good, sure. But he also did a lot of bad. He's no different than your typical dictator. In the end he was the very thing he was going against, a hypocrite. He had to be stopped at the very least. It likely would have gotten to a point where Light just became so driven by that point that a toddler 'stealing' something from their brother and him seeing it would have gotten him to kill that toddler.

Please, Light does not know shit about due process
The moment he accidentally kills someone who turned out to be innocent, people would then call him out on it
Light's the type of person who would let his ego get the better of him because we see the lengths he went through like putting his family in harms way to save his own hide
He's a terrible human that cannot be trusted with the Death Note
He would become a second Stalin

>There's a difference between murder and capital punishment
Says the bootlicker. It's rather arbitrary tbqh. Light "murdered" criminals, including those the system overlooked. He offed more evil people than the law ever did. He did more good than anyone.
>Light was evil and that his life was ruined when he picked up the Death Note
Irrelevant. If anything, that makes him a martyr. He ruined his life to better the lives of billions. Seriously, grow up.
They exist and I repudiate them because they're idealistic garbage. I don't care if you find me conceited for that. Should you care if I find you a pussy? Yes because it's true, but you don't have to. You can always concede and move along.

>The moment he accidentally kills someone who turned out to be innocent, people would then call him out on it
Except this doesn't happen because they believe the person he killed deserved it. This is what happened in Stalin's Russia.

>He would become a second Stalin
That's pretty much what he became.

Hitler: Killed 11-17 million people.
Stalin: Killed 56-62 million people.
Mao: Killed 49-78 million people.
Light Yagami: Killed so many they stopped counting the number.

Light was right but he lacked the proper mindset to carry such a big responsibility, that's the reason he got too drunk in power and started killing whoever he felt like killing.
If he truly remained a lawful evil like he was supposed to be then he would have been a proper god.

yeah, too bad that's not how it went
there is always the argument "what if Light had the better mind set" which isn't the case
That means nothing because he's a horrible person
The only time I felt that Light was a good genuine person was when he lost his memories of the Death Note
I think the theme of the manga was supposed to show how absolute power currupts absolutely
The Death note is just too powerful for a human to not get drunk on its power
Why do you think only Shinigami use it, they use it sparingly for whatever otherworldly agenda they have to keep up with

>I don't care if you find me conceited for that.
You may not care about me in particular, but you do seek willful assent, or else you wouldn't be here and argue. Unless, of course, your goal is merely some form of release of frustration, akin to masturbation, rather than discourse.

And if you want that assent, you'll have to argumentatively show core claims such as "only the end results matter" to be true, rather than just deciding that it is.
If you don't, the stasis of this discussion won't move and any further efforts will only amount to repeating what you've already said over and over, while mixing the occasional insult in, while your interlocutors do the same. It would be a fruitless endeavor, an ineffective and frustrating waste of time for everyone involved.

I'd rather live in a world where I might have to defend myself from some nigger than a world where I could be killed instantaneously without any way to defend myself because some asshole thought I was being unproductive.

Because people need to be free, and having a society which makes people enslaved and fearful defeats the purpose of having a society at all.

It's not technically better, thanks to Griffith Falconia is the only safe city in the world. Everywhere else is getting fucked by trolls/dragons/drakes and other monsters.

Lelouch isn't a tragic hero. Between CG and DN, L is probably the closest character to a tragic hero.

I lol'd at the user pro-light calling the other one a bootlicker. Saying that Light is right is agreeing to be at his mercy. And the work made it very clear how he was getting more and more intoxicated with power.
So it's not just "don't commit crimes then!", the very definition of what a crime can be changed according to Light's will. He did have plans, as stated relating to those who could help but cant and lazy.

Ending wars can be a good thing, sure. But it's not a good idea to trust humanity fate to a god complex human.

>light got what he deserved
>Took free Will away

Sure fags, posting from 1st world country where you can go out without fear.

This board is full of children

Shinigami use it because they have a quota but mostly they stopped using it because they were lazy and bored.

gr8 b8 m8 I r8 8/8

For most of the world today and most of the world throughout history people have little to no freedom. It might surprise you know how little a premium humanity collectively would place on "freedom" you seem to think is fundamental.

To me the point of the story wasn't about right or wrong or even consequences. The Shinigrami are bored with nothing to do. Ryuk dropped the Death Note because he wanted to see something interesting. Everything happens because of this. It wasn't a destined battle between good and evil, it was manufactured conflict to ease the ennui. Death Note was about poking the ant hill to watch them all pour out. In the end it doesn't matter what happened,it's just something to do until it get boring.

>For most of the world today and most of the world throughout history people have little to no freedom.
For most of the world today and most of the world throughout history, the world's shit.

>mfw Lightfags are all Lawfags

>Because normal people, aka not fucking rapists and murderers had nothing to worry about.
There was a part during a montage where some kid threatened another that he'd "post his name and pic online for Kira" as a threat. Everyone should be worried, because like someone else said, it's not criminals, it's anyone suspected/detained with criminal suspicion. There's this thing called due process and innocent until proven guilty that's important to justice, dunno if you've ever heard.

>why was Light killed when Near
Near had nothing to do with Light's death. Ryuk wrote his name. Not Near. Ryuk was bored of Light, that's why Light died. Near beat him but he didn't pull the trigger.

He's not going to kill Griffith though

>I repudiate them because they're idealistic garbage.
There are actually some pretty non-idealistic virtue ethics aiming very low and some pretty idealistic consequentialist ethics, you stupid faggot.

Oh boy another Lulu Light comparison

>If you fight back the terrorist win

How is that working out, Trudenu against ISIS.

>I wonder how many innocent people Light murdered in his glorified killing spree?
We at least know he killed some innocents who were investigating the matter. Ray Penbar and his wife come to mind, among others.

One of the first thing he does is killing a guy on national television just because he said "hey Kira 1v1 me feget".
He was always a huge faggot that killed people on a whim.

>If he didn't react to being called out on national television, nobody would ever figure him out and L would be ridiculed for his retarded supernatural explanation for the random heart attack epidemic.

All Light had to do to win was not be a bitch. That was literally it: if he wasn't a bitch, he would've won.

Hes not trying to kill Griffith hes just jealous that Casca got the D and he didnt.

And most of the anti-Light's are morafags or closet edgelords.

You just can't win.

Funny thin Light still could've dealt with Lind L. Taylor for bruising his ego by having him die from something other than a heart attack, and having his death not happen immediately.

That's...pretty much what he said?

>If he truly remained a lawful evil like he was supposed to be
Light was never supposed to be lawful evil. He was a faggot since the very beginning.

Seriously, how hard is it for a supposed genius to just write down shit like "slips after his speech and cracks his skull" or "chokes on a taco later that night" or even "dies of lung cancer one week from now"?

The entire show relied on our "genius" being a little bitch.

>Stay sedated by society
but crime is a social construct. plus, Light didn't even make up his own mind about who "deserves" death rather than just transcribing a database of criminals mindlessly, didn't he? that obviously makes him the spooked one, and a hack

A Thousand Suns, 9/10 desu

Regardless of whether he actually did kill innocents (which he did), the process by which he decides whether to kill someone or not is highly flawed and susceptible to error and manipulation. Error and manipulation happen in the normal judicial system, too, but that at least has all sorts of safeguards to minimize them, like actually doing systematic searches for evidence and extensive investigations on the credibility of data, and giving accused people at least a chance to defend themselves from allegations by hearing their side of the story. There are dozens of experts involved per case, not just a random guy nobody of his subjects wanted to be the watchman.

Just look at what's happening in the Philippines right now. Duerte is a Light-analogy against drug dealers. Sure, he kills a lot of the (lowest-ranked) members of the chain, but through doing so, he opened up all sots of possibilities to kill innocents. You just have to spread the rumour that your neighbour takes or deals drugs and suddenly he's someone anyone can kill without him ever getting the chance to prove his innocence. Ironically enough, the drug cartels can greatly exploit this: Never before has it been this easy to frame anyone to death by planting a pouch of any drug in their home.
Also an interesting aspect: While the drug dealers are being swept off the streets right now, the empirical data of comparable cases (e.g. Haiti) shows that this might just be a market clearance and the crime will just rebound, once the dealers have adjusted to the draconian measurements. Similarly, Light's actions are shown to have been effective, but we were only shown the short term.

>duterte is light

Yeah why have laws and shit?

Uh oh we got a feel feel libtard here.

Killing the bad guys will ONLY LEAD TO MORE BLOODSHED AND MAKE YOU JUST LIKE THEEEEEEMMMMMMM.

This is why modern society is shit because of nu males like you making society weak and making them afraid to fight back because CRIMINALS ARE PEEEEEPPPPPOOOOLLLLLEEEE.

But but more people will die. Either you fight or you die. That's how it should be not be a pussy ass being afraid of dying because you're some filthy millennial coward that thinks "he'll do more for society if the is alive".

Fuck that shit.

Ironic shitposting is just shitposting.

He's only arguing for due process, you fucking retard. Go back to Sup Forums.

Reminder he never killed Innocent people only criminals or cops try to catch him

he eat chip tho

How is that due process working out for you?

Enjoying Jose stealing your jobs when there are plenty of legal citizens who need them? Your tax dollars going to their welfare while feeling their anchor babies?

How about Obongo paying 400 million to Iran in ransom to sponsors of terrorist?

Man, ISIS has finally seen the light and accepted American and western values and stopped murdering, eh?

Are you guys liking Shillary's new colors of black and white stripes? Oh wait...

m8 you can't just execute people as soon as they're charged with committing a crime

Light was an egomaniac pure and simple.
If he was truly good he would have done everything he could to not draw attention to himself and not kill innocent people to achieve his goals (and yes, police who were doing their jobs ARE innocent people).
Instead he gleefully murders people who he even suspects of looking at him the wrong way, he always had sadistic smiles whenever an officer dies, showed zero compassion when his dad died (he was only interested in getting Mello's name) , even approves of the murders of people who took to worshipping him (who have done nothing wrong).
Hell even when he temporarily loses his memory of being Kira he was thinking how wrong it was for Kira to do what he was doing.

Are you guys implying that there are people who didn't agree with Light?

>technically better
>literally monster everywhere now and only falconia is safe
Like praising the arsonist for putting out the house he set fire to

True that. But how do you make sure that particular one man makes better decision than everyone else? And I don't mean the man has to be perfect, just better. How do you find your philosopher king? It used to be easier due to the big knowledge gap between aristocracy and the rest.

We have yet to find a way to measure that so it's less risky to spread the power as much as possible. I don't even think there's a single human capable of doing the job so it has to be something like AI with a deathnote for it to work.

>2016
>still glorifying Raito as savior instead of harambe