Yamada likes extremely surreal arthouse cinema like Pastoral: To Die in the Country and The Color of Pomegranates but...

Yamada likes extremely surreal arthouse cinema like Pastoral: To Die in the Country and The Color of Pomegranates but she hasn't really gone full arthouse for any of her anime. I want her to direct a work with no restraint involved like Yuasa did with Mind Game.

Other urls found in this thread:

kyotoanimation.co.jp/staff/anibaka/blog/?p=475
youtube.com/watch?v=2WkcLMapo_Y
youtube.com/watch?v=Gdt4h0ZobfI
youtube.com/watch?v=VBobdeRdzGA
youtube.com/watch?v=zBw4YqgorLs
youtube.com/watch?v=tUS7gSv2ZxE
youtube.com/watch?v=vr64or0cee4
youtube.com/watch?v=8xstl2ki39M
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I want her to come out of the closet already.

This.
She should just marry Horiguchi already.

Which Kyoani character is her self insert?
I always thought it was Mugi, but now not sure.

Rare yamada.

She probably wants a normalfag audience

Artsy Yamada never

To be honest, all EDs directed by her are surreal as fuck, so I would absolutely love to see an independent work by Yamada.

>naive art anime never

Oh, nice taste. Shame she works for the love factory.

Someone post all her EDs.

You have a source for that?

She mentioned Parajanov here but didn't say the name of the movie so OP probably got it from some other interviews.
kyotoanimation.co.jp/staff/anibaka/blog/?p=475

There is a Japanese fan who compiled a list of things Yamada likes and her influences somewhere but I can't find it.

Damn, Yamada seems to have sophisticated taste in kino.

This is one of her favorite anime.
It's just released in HD recently.
youtube.com/watch?v=2WkcLMapo_Y

Patrician as fuck.

Holy fuck, I did not expect to see Belladonna on here.

youtube.com/watch?v=Gdt4h0ZobfI
youtube.com/watch?v=VBobdeRdzGA
youtube.com/watch?v=zBw4YqgorLs
youtube.com/watch?v=tUS7gSv2ZxE
youtube.com/watch?v=vr64or0cee4
youtube.com/watch?v=8xstl2ki39M

Belladonna seems to be cited by people in the anime industry quite a fair bit.

Don't Say lazy, Neguse, and Inside Identity a best

By who'm? I only know Ikuhara mentioned it.

>Too much green or being surrounded by the wrong shade of green can bring up the feelings of boredom, lack of life and stagnation. It can also communicate rot and decay.
Yamada/Ishidate collab when?

That's pretty bad.

The episode is good though.

Anime isn't a medium where you go "full arthouse".
It has a very limited audience to begin with, so it would never work out financially.

Actual arthouse film can be shot at a very low cost, and has a massive audience compared to anime.

The best thing about her direction is her ability to denote characterisation and relationships through realist situations, it's all about traditional framing, lighting and montage. She wouldn't benefit from going full arthouse unless the surrealism informs a greater human narrative (see: Eraserhead).

Also, strictly there is no "arthouse" animation because animation is inherently abstract. Even in the most mundane seasonal SoL show characters might deform and the setting distort simply for a punchline. Anime is incomparable to live action arthouse because one could argue the case that all anime is arthouse.

>the episode's title was Chartreuse Light

It's like poetry

It's pretty mainstream that you could even find the title in the "top 10 blablabla" blogposts about animated feature films.

She could be the David Lynch of moe.

Interesting point, user. But then isn't the quality of an arthouse film lies in the intended audience and also the seriousness of the creator to make an artistic work?

Not necessarily. A director could approach an experimental idea with their audience in mind and entirely serious and it comes across as trite. Having seen many student films this can very easily be the case. I don't doubt Yamada is a talented director, however her talents lie in the nuance of her character development denoted through her visuals, an element of her storytelling that heavily relies on a conventional linear narrative and realist setting. I wouldn't look for an arthouse work from Yamada the same way I wouldn't look for an action work, the style and skill she has presented thus far doesn't suit that genre/conventions. Though that isn't to say she couldn't have hidden talents, but I'd argue there's nothing to convince me from her current work that she could pure off "pure arthouse" (which I've already explained as a fallacy in anime regardless).

Basically this, Naobe worked better with characterization, if the surrealism worked with that thing I believe she would use it.

All episodes of KnK were titled based on the color palette for the episode.

Yeah, the show's visual became hit and miss because of that.
Some palette just didn't work.

Just because she likes those kinds of works doesn't mean she could pull it off herself.

Which ones?

I disliked episode 3 the most.

Yeah, purple a shit.

She will be able to do an episode for VEG, right?

Well there are occasional surreal moments in her shows. Yui's fever dream in K-On S1 with the mugi blob and Azusa's summer dreams in K-On S2, Tamako's reaction to Mochi's confession, and the entire existence of Dera come to mind. Then there's the funky imagery in her EDs. It's nothing major, but it seems she's interested in trying weird things out.

Where you the guy I was talking about this with yesterday?

If you end up finding that list I'd be interested in seeing it.

Animation is inherently abstract but norms exist from which one can deviate.

Can't wait to see what weird stuff Koe has.