Why are nips so obsessed with fantasy worlds that literally operate like a D&D campaign run by a DM with a hard on for...

Why are nips so obsessed with fantasy worlds that literally operate like a D&D campaign run by a DM with a hard on for numbers?
Complete with stat sheets and skill points, even?

Other urls found in this thread:

frogkun.com/2016/05/05/whats-the-appeal-of-those-stuck-in-another-world-fantasies-some-japanese-bloggers-explain/
i1.pixiv.net/img-original/img/2016/07/09/14/30/00/57816376_p0.png
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

frogkun.com/2016/05/05/whats-the-appeal-of-those-stuck-in-another-world-fantasies-some-japanese-bloggers-explain/

The blogger Umetsubame claims that others look down on narou stories because they think that people should work hard in order to succeed. Yet in real life, lots of people try hard but fail to succeed, while others do nothing and succeed anyway. At this point, Nobuo Kawakami, the Representative Director of Dwango, chimes in to say: “In fact, the idea that if you try hard you will (definitely) succeed is more of a fantasy.”

If it’s taken as a given that people cheat their way to the top in society, then in order for a narou protagonist to succeed, he needs to be placed into a world where his own particular skills can be used as cheats. It’s no surprise, then, that the vast majority of isekai stories are based on JRPG-inspired worlds, particularly the pseudo-medieval settings of the Dragon Quest series and the early Final Fantasy games.

Why isn't there a shitty smut web novel where even the sex is governed by skills and stats? 100 skill points to learn doggystyle? 300 to learn reverse cowgirl? 600 for shortened refractory period cool down?

Fuck off with your blogshit.

There are a lot, just look for them.

Shut up, nerd.

Link?

Lemme guess you're one of those losers who stop at 20th level and don't become Demi-Gods

>get handed cheat abilities on a silver platter until you can bend reality over your knee
>do fuck-all with it because "in the end, a normal, worry-free lifestyle is best."
Isekai protagonists are a bunch of spineless wankers.

A lazy cunt with superpowers is still a lazy cunt.

No life experience outside of playing video games.

This.
Basically otakus and faggots that don't have any worthwhile skill, trade, or ability use the concept of RPG-like 'skills' and shit to feel important.
It's just autistic chuuni shit.

What is chuuni?

Why are fat americans so obsessed with superheroes?

& (Me)

>What is chuuni

Why are Europeans such cucks and obsessed with refugees?

Why are Asians so emotionless and obsessed with reality escapism?

Why are muslims/middle easterners so violent and obsessed with beheadings?

Why are Australians so depressed and obsessed with shitposting?

Why are is Mexico and south America so poor and obsessed with random acts of violence?

I want to reincarnate into a vampire loli.

You and me both, buddy.

Post more!

There's only 4 chapters translated ( ´・ω・)

One day we'll get more, one day.

Pubic tattoos are my fetish.

A QT!

Becaus elike RPG grinding that's boring as fuck to write.

The reason eastern games are more grindy is because they need something to do to turn their brains off all day.

i1.pixiv.net/img-original/img/2016/07/09/14/30/00/57816376_p0.png

They're used heavily in part because the reader has an easy way to identify with a skill-point system, and also because it's an extremely quantifiable way to showcase your characters' strength progression.

Describing your characters' mastery of their skills and hard work making them more skilled, faster/stronger, etc., is hard and requires writing skill. Bumping their stats and lengthening the skill list is easy.

Because the modern trend is for publishers to trawl isekai fiction websites and turn them into manga and anime. Not even kidding.

Autism. Not even joking, autists like numbers and stuff like that because it makes the complexities of our world easier for them to grasp.

The idea is that by autistic grinding, you can actually get earn stuff and get points. Like, if you kill a hundred wolves, you reach Level 10.

Real life, of course, doesn't work this way. Reality's inherently unfair. But fantasy worlds with levels and stats and so on are reassuring in how they work.

If you actually got dropped into a fantasy world, you'd be dead within a week.

>eastern games are more grindy

western RPG are far worse in that and the ones that consistently spam tinted enemies with variable stats against player.

most often, they don't even bother to recolor the enemies and simply give it a different name to differentiate variants from the original mook.

With exceptional few difference, WRPG also have worse and simpler mechanics

Russian RPG are the worst offender in grind

It makes strength easily quantifiable so the writer doesn't have to think hard about how power levels and characters getting stronger work.

Is Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? a parody or just a fresh and different take on a stale genre?

>operate like a D&D campaign
Most of them are based off JRPGs which of course were originally based on D&D, but then the Japanese being Japanese kind of ended up missing the entire point due to MISUNDERSTANDINGS.

Overlord is the only LN I've read that genuinely resembles D&D somewhat.

It's a spider fucking around.

Seems like it's neither.

I think it'd be interesting if right after a Protagonist does his cheat character creation stuff right before getting reincarnated, "God" then turns around and says "Oh by the way all those game like numbers and ratings were just so you have an idea of how you'll measure up in your new life, that world doesn't actually have any systems like that to begin with." then drops them off before they have a chance to get a word in.

And I love it so much.

>western RPG are far worse
Care to give some recent examples?

All that time in the labyrinth was definitely not good for her mental health

It was never good to begin with.

Yeah, lessons like "I should let myself get burned to build up fire resistance" really made Sophia's life hell, along with the whole "eat parts of you while drunk" thing.

JRPGs and WRPGs are both the same shit. Neither has any depth. Most of both are easy and can be won with minimal grinding, and the "hard" ones are timesinks where success is mostly a matter of how much you grind.

Mostly because he (and Log Horizon guy) play tabletop games with each other.

Nasu and Urobuchi did too, even before Red Dragon (which became that travesty of an anime Chaos Dragon)

Isn't the Log Horizon guy in prison for tax evasion?

Blade Play is one that's kind of like that.

I really don't understand how Ariel + Kumoko (Body-in-Charge) = Maou Shoujo Ariel-chan.

Because Kumoko was definitely not that happy-go-lucky, let alone Ariel. 0 + 1 = 10?

>newfag trying his hardest to fit in
Blosgshit does not refer to that you dumbass.

>Slave Harem in the Labyrinth of the Other World
This sounded like a parody of isekai stories rather than an actual series title, but apparently it is a thing and has over 200 chapters translated.

I gues I know what I'm reading the rest of the afternoon.

Could you please let us know how it is after a chapter or two?

It is shit with an OP Mc that is scared of his own shadow fucking slaves with no personality.

It's shit I read it all
That said, it's passable at first

I've skimmed through more than half of what's translated. it's literally the worst thing I've ever read.

It's mostly about the MC grinding in a dungeon and the rest is his harem with no personality other than two paragraphs of back story and a verbal tick. he, no joke, spends a whole chapter killing mobs, one at a time that drops one feather each, to fill up a futon.

Thoughts on pic related?

More old men, less everyone else.

Got bored around volume 6, but at least it was somewhat enjoyable up to that point

became boring after he meets the red hammer girl

Honestly I fucking love the whole "multiple lives in one body" trope so its great.

The parts I've read so far, MC and his girl don't seem to have much character though.

And that's the main plot point of Kumo desu ga.
The status system was fake the whole time. It's just an elaborate well-built magical super computer connected to everybody's souls.
Think the status as well built magic that wraps around your body and controls in like a puppet. And the skills as computer code and apps.

After she became a God she couldn't use any of that and had to brute force it. Technically she got weaker after she became a God than when she was in the system

First chapter's pretty nondescript, I was hoping it'd pick up, but does it actually get worse?

I'm used to waifus being one-dimensional, but are they at least cute?

Love how this series makes the MC cute to hide the horrible shit she's doing.

In a hand of a better writer, it would be a great work on protagonist-biased narrative.

>It’s no surprise, then, that the vast majority of isekai stories are based on JRPG-inspired worlds, particularly the pseudo-medieval settings of the Dragon Quest series and the early Final Fantasy games.

Don't forget Tales. They're ripping off the politics from Tales.

>the vast majority of isekai stories
You mean the vast majority of isekai stories after SAO

>Why are muslims/middle easterners so violent and obsessed with beheadings?

I'm not obsessed with beheadings.

>monstrous spider doing horrible things
>it's still cute because of the high school girl narrating inside its head

>SAO
>isekai

Tales' plots are the epitome of generic JRPG schlock, so not really.

waifus need personality to be cute when all you have is text, so no.

I might be a little jaded with how stale the whole genre is. I have 30+ dropped series and down to 5 on my reading list. most thing are at least a little entertaining for the first few chapters, just don't get too invested in them.

Nah, Tales are the ones that love to add "muh racism" and "muh politics/war" to fantasy worlds. Dragon Quest and early FF never have that.

>obsessed
No, they're braindead. They write what sells and don't actually think

Stop reading shit user.

Well, yeah, not the whole thing, just the first arc and apparently the fourth arc too.

>frog-kun

I still remember his SJW as fuck article about racism in the Little Women animu.

Care to elaborate for someone who hasn't played those games?

most of them were taken off NU's top ranking. but it wouldn't surprise me if that community as a whole had shit taste.

got any better suggestions?

>down to 5 on my reading list
I'm curious what the last survivors of this battle royale are.

It gets better for a little while, but at some point it just gets really fucking shit.
Don't remember when since it's been a while since I read it, but once it starts going on about cooking and clearing dungeon levels, it just doesn't stop

You can tell a series is going to go to shit once the author needs cooking as a crutch

You know the obligatory harem member in every isekai series that's a half-breed/demi-human slave?

That's a Tales thing.

Tales series don't have demon lords or races ala Dragon Quest. Instead, it has politics and wars and shit and the protags are engulfed in that Until the end boss appears anyway where then it goes Final Fantasy..

>cooking

Might as well read Dungeon Meshi.

It seems Slave Harem is a tag on NU and has about a dozen series. I wonder how many of them have the magical slave collar that kills you if you don't obey. That shit is such a stupid plot device.

Fuck off with your overhyped trash.

Yeah that's literally about cooking though.

Magical slavery seems to be pretty hardcore, and I'm pretty sure all of them do because that's kinda the thing.

Just absolute obedience wish fulfillment.
No more stupid than literally any other plot device

Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken
Ascendance of a Bookworm
Genjitsushugisha no Oukokukaizouki
Death March (used to be a guilty pleasure but it's been falling apart)
Lazy Dungeon Master (new guilty pleasure)

there are a few others but they haven't updated in over a month so I wouldn't bother
also I'm excluding proper LN, still waiting for Overlord V10

>Ascendance of a Bookworm

Stop right now. It turns to shit the more you go through it.

Did you try Dungeon Defense?

>Sevens

Damnit why cant the translator just get back to translating Evil Org

REMOVE BELTS
FUCK BELTS AND ANY CHARACTER WEARING MORE THAN ONE

Nah, unless Maine literally becomes god I ain't dropping it. No, I really don't care that she's a selfish cunt.

>No, I really don't care that she's a selfish cunt.

What a cuck.

You know that belt where used like tourniquets, right? You need at least two

I've heard, but It's passable for now so I'll make that judgement myself. already expected it to end up like Tensei Shoujo

tried it, didn't click with me, don't remember why. I was going through so many new series at the time that I had a pretty high bar. might give it another shot later

>Ascendance of a Bookworm

Love the replies to the one star reviews on Amazon.

Goddamn fanboys.

You know exactly what Im talking about

You really should try it again. It's really good. Vol 2 just got finished yesterday and it was glorious.