Why did anime switch from a model of satisfying if anime original endings to a model of no conclusion and hoping for a...

Why did anime switch from a model of satisfying if anime original endings to a model of no conclusion and hoping for a season 2 that will never come? Isn't it better for them to adjust admit there will be no S2 and write an original ending?

>Why did anime switch from a model of satisfying if anime original endings to a model of no conclusion [forcing you to buy the source material to get the full story]?
ftfy
Now you may guess what might be the reason.

It doesn't work though since I don't buy the original.

It works.
You aren't the target audience you filthy gaijin leech.

I rather have "season 2 maybe someday ", than season 2 never honestly. Also most anime original endings are rushed copouts

Why are Japanese consumers so undiscerning?

"maybe someday" and "never" are the same thing. You just need to look at things with a realist's eye.

Obviously to keep the option for a 2nd cour open.
Also keep in mind that anime also switched from a straight up 2 cour model to a 1 cour + 1 cour if success model.

Loaded question.

They're falling for what is essentially a scam to sell more product. Seems pretty undiscerning.

>They're falling for what is essentially a scam to sell more product.
No. They are watching an advertisement for what it is, and decide based on that information whether or not to try out the source material. That is way more discerning than what you are doing, which is basically to just watch advertisements like a retard.

You have 10 seconds to name 1 (one) good anime original end.

I don't watch series without an end though. I wait until a show is done airing, go to some board and look for the inevitable "SEASON 2?!?!" posts and if I see that I don't watch it.

Your loss.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A

When they stopped adapting VNs and switched to LNS. They also figured that it's better to not make an anime original ending for manga that way you can get people to buy it.

Shaman King (was actually better than the manga ending)

The manga was an atrocity.
I still can't get myself to pick up the sequel.

>You watch unfinished advertisement crap!
>>No I don't
>Your loss

I think the sequel has already been cancelled.

You're missing out on lots of good stories. Plenty of shows have calls for S2s not because they need a conclusion but because they are good.

Hao was shit in the anime though. So cringeworthy that I have to drop it in a few weeks before finally having the guts to finish it.

Can something that is not a comedy or sol be good without a conclusion?

Can't something with a story have a conclusion and also get a sequel?

>So cringeworthy
What did you expect out of a villain in a show aimed at kids?

He's saying that some shows get a second season even though the first one had a conclusion simply because it sold well. Like Darker than Black. Although some people might not agree this was a good thing for that show.

At least you could pick up manga adaptations when it's over because scanlators picking them up. LNs are horrible to follow the source material if they aren't something super popular.

If it gets a conclusion then you can pick it up and watch from the beginning. But most things that go without a Season 2 for years simply aren't going to get one. Stuff like Fafner is the exception.

But then you can watch the S1 since it has a conclusion.

>But then you can watch the S1 since it has a conclusion.
Which is the point of .

So how is it my loss if I do watch the S1 because it has a conclusion? Because now S2 comes out and sucks and has no conclusion? Might be true in some instances but probably rather rare.

>I do watch the S1 because it has a conclusion?
That's not what you said.

I said I wouldn't watch something that has no conclusion. Are you saying people are going to be saying "WHERE'S SEASON 2?!" in a show that has a conclusive end?

>Are you saying people are going to be saying "WHERE'S SEASON 2?!" in a show that has a conclusive end?
If you enjoy something, of course you'll want more of it.

I'll let you in on a secret: the vast, vast majority of scanlation translations suck big dicks. They have no quality control standards. It's not really even worth reading manga unless you can speak Japanese or the manga is officially licensed.

I think a season 2 for Yona could've been possible if the manga had a decent enough boost (which I believe it did) and the BDs sold, the latter of which couldn't happen because they were horribly delayed for whatever reason.

So I guess you're positing a scenario like this for a hypothetical anime:
>villain is dead
>Entire plotline of the anime is resolved, everyone is happy
>retards on mal: LOL IS DER GON 2 B A S2??

Don't use MAL

People on Sup Forums wanted a sequel to Madoka long before the plot hook was created with the movies.

Are you going to tell me to stop using Sup Forums now?
Why don't you start using it?

Madoka is anime original. You know they're not hiding a conclusion for the anime in the "source material" because the anime is the source.

That's irrelevant to the point being made.
Conclusion does not preclude the desire for more.

Only retards desire more after the conclusion.

RahXephon Season 2 when?

JoJo is getting a conclusion at the end of every arc. The story keeps continuing.
Sailor Moon had a proper conclusion after the first season. It kept continuing.

And why the hell not? Neither of them suffered for it.

I think the issue is we're thinking of different kinds of series. For a plot focused series, after the conclusion there is no way a conflict can arise again and still have the series really be the same "thing" as the original. Take for example. You can't pick up RahXephon after episode 26 and do anything with it and still have it be the same series. It's done. The main conflict is resolved. Now take a case like that where they DID pick it up after the end: Eureka 7. What they did with Eureka 7 is what they had to do: Pick it up in the future but make it a totally different series with a totally different conflict with Ao, and unsurprisingly that series sucked. So there was no reason to watch Ao. Sailor Moon they can always bring up some new villain out of their asshole because it was intended as a potentially infinitely propagating franchise-type show from the beginning.

They like manga, dumbass. It's cheap and convenient for them, so it's generally the preferred medium even if they watch the anime advertisement.

>Sailor Moon they can always bring up some new villain out of their asshole
>>villain is dead
>>Entire plotline of the anime is resolved, everyone is [dead]
No, we're not talking about different things. Of course there are shows that make a sequel pretty much impossible (or pointless). But the topic was if you can watch a conclusion and want an S2 anyway.

Because of Gonzo.

I meant everyone is happy literally. If everyone really was dead then there really would be no way for anyone, even total retards, to call for a S2.

But we are talking about different KINDS of series, though a similar scenario in those different kinds of series. Sailor Moon can kill off a season's main villain and just throw in a new one, it's modular. Something like RahXephon, which isn't even fully a villain-centric conflict, cannot.

Generally I watch the RahXephon "kind" of series and not the Sailor Moon "kind" of series. So I wouldn't need to look up whether people are saying they want a S2 of Sailor Moon...because I wouldn't be watching it.

Basically, with the kind of series I like to watch, you can't have a conclusion and then shoe horn in another conflict after it and still have it still be "the same series." They aren't modular in that way. Think Eureka 7 or Last Exile. Both got follow ups but they were in no way the same series as their predecessor.

>They like manga, dumbass. It's cheap and convenient for them,
>cheap and convenient for them,
>they're undiscerning
You only seem to be proving his point. Who likes something because it's "cheap and convenient" except total plebeians?

>If everyone really was dead then there really would be no way for anyone, even total retards, to call for a S2.
But it got an S2. That's the fucking thing. And people liked it. I must admit that I wasn't on Sup Forums when SailorMoon was first airing, but I'm pretty sure people were looking forward to S2.

>But we are talking about different KINDS of series,
You are just limiting the discussion to a particular kind so you can't lose anymore. The original question was whether or not you could determine if a show had an unsatisfactory last episode going by the calls for S2 on Sup Forums. It's called moving the goalposts and it's a logical fallacy.
>Sailor Moon can kill off a season's main villain and just throw in a new one,
You have no idea what you are talking about.

>the kind of series I like to watch,
But how do you even know which kind it is without trying it out?
Madoka and Utena are magical girl shows too. In fact, Utena has HUGE amounts of monster of the week. So it's basically exactly what you are saying about SailorMoon. Except it is also a very and absolutely conclusive show that managed to get a good movie ending anywa.

Everyone was not dead at the end of any season of SM AFAIK unless Crystal totally shat on the original.

>You are just limiting the discussion to a particular kind so you can't lose anymore.

>u tryin 2 win da internt argment!!

Come on now, I'm just telling you why my situation of looking for S2 beggars works when I didn't take into account in the first post I made the types of "modular" series where people will call for a S2 even after a conclusive ending because the series could just intro another villain or the like.

>The original question was whether or not you could determine if a show had an unsatisfactory last episode going by the calls for S2 on Sup Forums.
It was not a question. It was saying what I factually do: "I don't watch series without an end though. I wait until a show is done airing, go to some board and look for the inevitable "SEASON 2?!?!" posts and if I see that I don't watch it."

Note what I said above. The reason why this happens to work in my case is because of the types of series I tend to watch. It may not work for you if you watch more modular series.

>But how do you even know which kind it is without trying it out?

Well I didn't say I wouldn't try a series out, find out it isn't my cup of tea and then drop it. Sure, I do guess wrong on what a series is like from the promo material sometimes. But I meant by "generally I watch the X kind of series" was about watching something all the way through. I should have specified that.

>Madoka and Utena are magical girl shows too. In fact, Utena has HUGE amounts of monster of the week.
Utena's "motw" is more character focused though. They aren't throwaway characters portrayed as just the villain's henchmen. Plus you can use other context clues to figure out something like Utena has a conclusive ending, just from banter about it you see on the Internet or because it's praised so highly long after it ended.

>that managed to get a good movie ending anywa.
The movie is alt universe though.

The point is that it was a fucking stupid use of the term in the first place. It's like saying they're undiscerning because they use chopsticks instead of a knife and fork.

>I'm just telling you why my situation of looking for S2 beggars works
But it doesn't.
The likes of story heavy shows that you are trying to turn the discussion to, are the kinds of shows that always get a proper ending. So if you were only looking for those, you'd just be waiting time.
There is only a point when you are looking at stuff that is actually somewhat "modular", as you call it.

Like with your chosen image in , there are plenty of points where you could make a really nice ending to the story, but would still be able to continue telling it just the same. The fact that the anime ended as awkwardly as it did is owed more to the fact that they wanted to introduce everybody than proper story telling.

>just from banter about it you see on the Internet
You get this banter now. Back when it was first airing nobody had the luxury of talking to people who had already seen the end.

Sounds like you're just invoking some veiled notion that because it's their culture they can't have plebeian tastes even if they take in their media on a train with two fat guys sitting next to them rather than in front of a 40 inch home theatre while watching some of AFI's 100 best movies of all time.

Not to me.
To me it sounds like you are just unfamiliar with the concept of books and reading.

Man I'm sure this is going to be a productive thread with good discussionfsdfuigerugerthtedrhrthtrtrhtrhdthrfdhdffd

Don't even try to compare manga to real literature. You wouldn't read Tolstoy on a fucking train on the way to work.

"Books" can be many things.
Comics are books too.

Look it up, moron.

You are so pretentious it hurts

Any book worth reading, you wouldn't read with distractions

>getting distracted from passengers on the train

You just aren't immersed enough.
Maybe stop reading literature that is above you and try something that's more up to your speed?

>The likes of story heavy shows that you are trying to turn the discussion to, are the kinds of shows that always get a proper ending.

But Yona didn't. That, from the ep I saw of it and reading reviews, looked like it was a story focused conflict rather than a modular one. After Yona kills Suan or whatever his name was, and reclaims her kingdom, they can't really tack on some new villain. That is the conflict introduced at the very beginning. But it will never have an ending, so I won't watch it. It could've had an ending. But it won't.

>Like with your chosen image
Well I chose Yona because I tried one ep, felt it was pretty borderline, looked for S2 beggers, saw a bunch and then dropped it.

>You get this banter now. Back when it was first airing nobody had the luxury of talking to people who had already seen the end.
I don't watch many things as they are airing, for this reason and to get BD releases rather than horrible encoding artifacts smeared everywhere from Crunchy and Funi's incompetent encode teams.

see