Why is she, the worst girl, so popular?

I'm an anime casual. I had no intentions watching NGE, so I readily read all of the spoiler stuff about it. Then, a few weeks ago, reading some more stuff on the series sufficiently piqued my interest to go watch all 26 episodes, the movie and the rebuild movies. (My short review: it's the anime version of LOST, with lots of philosophically, religious and psychological references and ideas added because the creators felt it sounded cool and exotic, but they had an insufficient knowledge and screen time to make it all coherent in end, or indeed to make the plot end satisfactorily complete and coherent. The NGE action sequences are good and the characters are reasonable deep for this kind of story (except for one, of course), but the package feel too short to feel complete or to say it reaches some kind of greatness).

One things that struck me is how thin the character of Rei is. She has so personality beyond being shy and quiet, and she has no character arc beyond what the main plot demands. The only character development she gets is that she's a clone, then the current version dies, replaced with a clone which then kickstarts the Orange Tang Apocalypse that may or may not have been eventually averted. Compare that to the arcs of the other characters, which, when stripped of their sci-fi trappings, are at least somewhat relatable.

Yet she's everywhere in that fandom, with tons of art (both official and fan-made), figurines and other trickets to buy. There are lots of fanfiction and comics with her that you can please yourself with if you have a day or two, a private place and full balls needing expelling. All over a fucking non-character.

I don't get it. I really don't. Please explain it to me, Sup Forums.

Probably pasta but she is cute and quiet. She is also the best girl if you had to choose between Asuka and Rei. Also the rebuild movies are shit.

>I'm an anime casual.
Get the fuck off the anime board then, you idiot.

Most anime fans like 'em submissive silent type of anime girls, I mean look at all those Remfags.

>She is also the best girl if you had to choose between Asuka and Rei.

But Asuka feels like a real person, with real character traits and a well thought-out character arc.

>Also the rebuild movies are shit.

They are okay; some of its ideas are interesting. I think their big problem is that they are movies, so they (obvious) can only be a few hours long at most. So something had to be cut, and they cut the character development.

But then once you remove that the story just becomes another action story with some philosophically, religious and psychological bullshit added in as spice.

>Get the fuck off the anime board then, you idiot.

I'm just passing by to post my thoughts, dude.

>I'm just passing by to post my thoughts, dude.
Considering you're in Sup Forums, you should have expected this much.

"Dude".

this.

Because, unlike Shinji, she actually has convictions.

Because, unlike Asuka, she actually has standards.

Shes a quiet and plain character with that as defining traits. People like her because they're attracted to her, attatched to her character, or losers who want a blank slate waifu or like short hair. Also Asuka is a bitch so it makes liking Rei easier

>Because, unlike Shinji, she actually has convictions.
>Because, unlike Asuka, she actually has standards.

It seems like the only convictions and standards she has are what her superiors and the plot demands.

You are a fucking moron. She specifically rebels from both Gendo and SEELE at every point she's able.

Asuka is the one who only follows the whims of her superiors without thinking.

Please actually watch the show.

I wanted all 3 girls to just have a fuck party, and go nuts with shinji. taking turns fucking him and licking balls while the other rides him. Asuka grinds her cunt on his face while misato sucks him off like she's siphoning gas

and then after like just a week of that he actually quits being a pilot and runs away for good.

FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE! THANK YOU!

The truth is, I have no emotional attachment to Rei at all.

In the midst of making Eva, I suddenly realized that I had forgotten her. Her very existence. For example, in episode seven, I remembered and added one shot with Rei. I had no attachment to her at all. I think that was okay, because in episode eight, she didn't appear. Not even in a single shot.

Episode 6 was too early.

At the end Rei says "I don't know what to do," and Shinji says, "I think you should smile," and Rei smiles. ... Afterwards, when I thought about it, I cursed. In short, if she and Shinji completely "communicated" there, then isn't she over with? At that moment, Rei, for me, was finished.

When she smiled, she was already finished, this character.

>She specifically rebels from both Gendo and SEELE at every point she's able.
>Asuka is the one who only follows the whims of her superiors without thinking.

IIRC, Rei followed order until the end of the movie when she betrays Gendo.

Asuka follows orders because she wants to prove to herself and the world that she's number 1, which she bases her entire identity on. Which, once is shown she's not number 1 (anymore), falls apart.

Which is, again, stripped of it's sci-fi guise, is quite related, I think.

there is literally nothing related to 'I'M GONNA SHOW EVERYONE I'M TEH BEST' unless you're Ash or Naruto.

In reality (of which Asuka is quickly introduced to) her actions continually led to coordinated sorties being ruined and resulted in failed operations because of her refusal to operate in a military unit.

I can tell you're a civilian, so I'll explain this:

THERE IS NO INDIVIDUALITY IN COMBAT OPERATIONS.

Running off to do your own thing results in a breakdown of structure and failure to both provide and recieve necessary support. This is blatantly demonstrated when Asuka tries to glorify herself against Israfel and Arael. She is utterly humiliated both times.

Meanwhile, Shinji and Rei follow orders during military operations and succeed against the enemy.

Meanwhile, when Rei has opportunity and ability to resist Gendo's criminal actions, she does so.

I'm not a Reifag (I fag for someone else), but Asuka is not a likeable person. I know she's a very human character. Unfortunately, she's a shit human.

Asuka is probably my favorite one, aside from Misato. They're both developed and heavily flawed characters, and more or less believable.

It's a close tossup between asuka and misato for me. Both way above Rei "no personality" ayanami

Nice to see that you're a flaming cuckold.

Asuka and Misato are both terrible people. Surely you can appreciate the writing behind their characters while still knowing they're fundamentally unlikeable.

People who like them are usually sheltered suburban white manchildren who have never experienced interhuman relationships with personalities like Asuka's or even Misato's.

this kills the reifag

I'm going to make a blogpost for the sake of proving that, at least in my case, your claim of Rei being unrelatable is completely wrong.
At my lowest I wasn't nearly as socially incapable as her, but I was just as numb. Call it edgy, stupid, whatever you want, but it's just how it was. You don't feel anything, or you think you don't feel anything. As Rei, I didn't have any friends or family close to me at that time, only orders to follow. And inside you think that as long as you do what you are told nothing else really matter. Not even yourself matter. You don't even create the lie on purpose, you really, literally feel nothing about anything. And then one day suddenly you realize nothing's actually right and that you are completely fucked up (remember the scene where Rei cries and at first she doesn't even realize she's crying, and then she suddenly realizes she's lonely? That's exactly how it went for me, mind you, many years before I watched this series). To me Rei is the opposite of unrelatable. I think that goes for most of the characters really.

Truly. The primary reason I fucking hate Asuka is because I've known girls like her in real life, and they're vicious and abusive.

>Emiliafags still start shit
You're both shit. Ram is the true best or the three

>implying anno or his opinion matter even in the very slightest
He's a hack. Look at the rebuilds and tell me how his opinion matters.

Nobody give a fuck what your opinion is casual shit, now go out.

The only people who think Rei has no personality are the ones who didn't pay attention while watching.

There are numerous small and subtle indications of who she is as a person, and it is much more appealing than Asuka's never ending menstrual cycle. Then there is the fact that she is trying to exist in spite of being different, that makes her much more relatable to the sad lives that inhabit this malasian basket-weaving cult compared to Asuka who is as Mary Sue as possible.

Cuz everyone on Sup Forums is a giant pussy who can't handle an actual woman with emotions. Rei is a doll, so she is incapable of having an argument with you, or any kind of emotion at all.

Also, Misato best eva girl.

You know, I'm going to go so far as to say that Asuka is the one I can't relate to. Maybe Rei is boring and inoffensive. That's fine. I could not see myself treating others, or even behaving in the way Asuka does. No, I'd be actively opposed to a person like her.

>The only people who think Rei has no personality are the ones who didn't pay attention while watching.
I agree. I don't find Rei particularly compelling, but it's ridiculous to call her a blank slate. Actually absorb the content you're viewing before you vomit out your opinions.

>Rei is a doll, so she is incapable of having an argument with you, or any kind of emotion at all.
Do you not remember when she slapped Shinji?

The only doll in the series is the one that literally becomes a comatose puppet when her strings are dropped. Asuka loses her drug supply of attention and prestige and she's reduced to a gelatinous mass that slits her wrists in a bombed out bathroom.

Cuck harder.

Both girls have serious problems, I don't think you are supposed to be attracted to any of them.

It's been twenty years and they still don't realize this. It's a lost cause.

>Rei is a doll, so she is incapable of having an argument with you, or any kind of emotion at all.
>slaps shinji for being a cunt
>btfo Asuka and Misato multiple times
>betrays gendo for being a cunt and literally ends the world
>an obedient blank doll
ok

>an actual woman with emotions
>it's a hysteric chinese drawing
ayy lmao

>I'm an anime casual
Thank you OP. Stopped right there.

>who can't handle an actual woman with emotions
>he equates women to being complete children who spass out all the time
Nigga the rest of the women in the show were characterised just fine and they didn't need to constantly chimp out like Asuka, you're just a fucking idiot who bases his argument on the Rei-Asuka dichotomy then detaches from it by adding 'Misato best girl'. If you include characters like her your whole argument falls to pieces.

And Misato has daddy issues too.

Sure but she isn't a complete fucking wreck. She doesn't tipify not being able to handle a 'real women with real emotions'. The only overly emotional character (consistently) is Asuka who, in his argument is being conflated with everyone that isn't Rei. It's retarded and deceitful.

i cant wait till summer ends

>Sure but she isn't a complete fucking wreck.
She is though. She drinks multiple beers before going into work every morning. She can't perform basic hygiene for her apartment. She can't even feed herself properly.

Yet she has friends, comports herself well and has a status position in a large corporation. She isn't a wreck.

She's constantly bickering with Ritsuko, and is push and pull with Kaji because of her own issues. You can be a wreck in your personal life and still conduct yourself passably in a work environment.
But mainly I dislike Misato because I have zero tolerance for terrible caretakers.

>Why is she, the worst girl, so popular?

Because the other two girls are a Christmas Cake drunkard and Asuka, who is literally the worst girl of all time.

Next to them Rei looks like a goddess.

But in all seriousness Kaworu is the best girl OP.

>terrible caretakers
>charitably takes on some depressed loser kid

>apparently absolved
>dumps loser kid with his underling

Ayyyy-la-fucking-mayo

>But in all seriousness Kaworu is the best girl OP.
Kaworu is barely compelling in the anime, but I really love him in the manga.
However, it is Shinji who is best girl.

There's no best anything you idiots, everybody is fucked up.

Yes, she charitably takes him in, but she's not great at taking care of him from the very start, and only gets worse as time goes on. Trying to do a good thing doesn't mean she wasn't shit at it.
I'm not sure what you're referring to with that second bit.

Kaworu is top fucking tier in the manga, he's also the best girl in the movies too.

She had no reason to take him in. That coluors all of her actions thereon differently. She is a fine caretaker within that context. She gives him attention he desperately needs while Gendo fucks about with clones and dreams of his waifu.

I'm not asking you to look at this relativistically however there are different criteria to different roles and contexts.

Agreed that he's great in the movies, but I admit that I love the time travel schtick, or whatever it is. I know everyone shits on 3.0, but at least we see more emotional complexity from Kaworu there than in the anime.

I'll say it again: trying to do a good thing doesn't mean she wasn't shit at it. She doesn't get a free pass for being poor at caring for a child just because she chose to do it.
Could she have been worse? Absolutely. But she wasn't good.

I literally just finished 3.0 5 minutes ago, 4.0 when?

never, right?

He may have just started working on it very recently, if at all. Apparently he was quite close to ditching it completely, but Godzilla gave him strength.
Also, it's 3.0+1.0. Just what you'd expect from the master.

>Both girls have serious problems, I don't think you are supposed to be attracted to any of them.

I think you're right. I think Asuka is the designated love interest ... if it were a normal show not made by a crazy person with a crazy protagonist and a crazy love interest.

So instead ending with a loving kiss or something like that, you get one trying to strangle the other while crying like a bitch.

>I literally just finished 3.0 5 minutes ago, 4.0 when?
>never, right?

Yes, since you will only be disappointed in it.

Even if you thought the movies were complete and total horseshit.

Look at this delusion.

>people who are legit interested in anime
The fuck is wrong with you guys

1.0 and 2.0 were fine, if less intelligent than the series.

3.0 is steaming dogshit

Insecure fags pick Rei, Cucks pick Asuka.

All the girls in EVA suck then again they are fairly realistic so it makes sense.

Shinji all the way.

you're on Sup Forums, faggot

Wait, what board am I in again?

and Piper is Mari while Curie is Rei and Cait is Asuka. You literally picked the worst fallout character to put in your shitty image.

Cait is also shit

Good call.

Plus, she has interests outside of angsting about shit or piloting. She reads high-level books on various subjects well beyond her age, whenever she gets the rare chance she talks with conviction about philosophy or has internal poetry sessions, actually has reasons for piloting, it being her connection with the rest of the world, her bond to humanity, and deeply considers the slightly alien nature that lies underneath the surface.

She also defies orders in order to fight the 14th Angel.

Right before she dies, after connecting with the 16th Angel, Rei realizes her emotions more fully, and sacrifices herself specifically to save Shinji, and realizes she does in fact love him.

Rei III is a more of a cypher, and only lived for a fucking week anyway, much of it with an unspecified amount of memory loss and the knowledge that they were at the endgame anyway so fuck it all, so who knows what she was like, outside of defying Gendo.

Anno just finished Godzilla, and it came out to critical acclaim. He's back at work on 3.0+1.0 now.

>videogames
Both mediums are about as shallow. As long as you don't indulge too much in either of them I don't see the problem.

She's cute as fuck.
And...that's it, probably.
I love Evangelion because i can kinda relate to Shinji and i felt a connection with the characters and their situation (among other things) but i just can't like Rei as a character, she's way to bland and boring, and her character development is so small and basic that i can't even consider it as such.
Misato best woman.

2.0 had her develop

That is until the end

What the fuck is wrong with all of you. at least half of you don't even like Evangelion.

and not a single one of you can agree on anything at all. a bunch of fucking animals foaming at the mouth over who's the best cartoon character.

Do you like Evangelion?

>he says posting Jerry the Superman autist

It doesn't make my top ten.

i dont like asuka because of her personality and how mean she is to shinji and rei (who the fuck goes "lets be friends cause itll be convinient")
rei is rei and flat as we've established

misatos lowkey been qt but i never understood shinji has like written on the photo of her pointing to her tits but he never tried ig man
also rebuild was whack(y) but mari also seemed waifu tier

redpill me senpai

I like it.

Misato was by far the best girl and most of her problems would have been fixed if she had a reliable man to wake up to everyday

She did, but she dumped him.

>intentionally avoiding the question
It's time to stop posting. Go to bed or something your subversive little fag.

Mari is a qt

>but the package feel too short to feel complete or to say it reaches some kind of greatness
wow get the fuck out of here with your shitty bait thread

It's not even a relevant question though. I watched the series. but whether or not I liked it has no bearing on the best waifu.

I'll ask you a question. why does it matter? What difference does my overall opinion of the series make to you?

You said in your first post that not even half the people in this thread like the show. If you don't like it either, it's hypocritical of you to criticize that.

Rie Character wise she grew from a robot to a person to a robot realizing that she was a person and got butthurt.

Sounds like development.

Shingi didn't really progress as a character he found people he liked but him as a person didn't change

No character progression

Asuka grew from a royal bitch to a team player with bitchy tendencies.

Progression

The whole plot is based off this

>'s not even a relevant question though
Then don't respond to it. Instead you dodged it making you look like a MASSIVE faggot.

Why does it matter? I think it would change the context of your criticisms but to clarify, it's not me that asked the question. I wouldn't have in the first place. It was you who responded like a drop-kick, however.

>Shinji
>not having character progression

You are all a big bunch of faggots desu

>desu
No not desu, I meant desu

If I don't like the show then I'm just half of the people in this thread, case closed. I didn't criticize people who didn't like it. It was merely an observation.

>Then don't respond to it
no fun in that. The fact that someone here wants to know something, is reason enough to not tell them.

Ok better stated he only got worse and when get finally got good the world was ending

>he only got worse
That's how untreated depression works, user.

>Ok better stated he only got worse and when get finally got good the world was ending
>better stated
also your understanding of the show is shit but I'm gonna make fun of your bad grammar instead

kek

Also quick reminder not to respond to those two who are clearly baiting- or do. This was always going to be a shit fling anyway

You ironically made fun of his understanding of the show, while informing him that you were going to make fun of him for something else.

10/10

Telling people not to respond to trolls, is like telling trolls to stop trolling. It's an involuntary response, there's nothing anyone can do to stop it.