Canadian Thread. I hate the tragically hip, and I'm glad Gordon Downie is dead...

Canadian Thread. I hate the tragically hip, and I'm glad Gordon Downie is dead. I'm sick of hearing about the feigned heartbreak over his death.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LAZUsCONjIQ
youtube.com/watch?v=UprEPvCJZE4
youtube.com/watch?v=9vST6hVRj2A
youtube.com/watch?v=lbc6qig7XjI
youtube.com/watch?v=oUwAzgyQYSM
youtube.com/watch?v=lfPwb4f6lo8
youtube.com/watch?v=v3JaosE-gZE
youtube.com/watch?v=-wbQY7Hz_Ns
youtu.be/QE2joQsWXJg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I have no idea what his music was like but seeing that picture and Cuckdeau crying over him made me glad as well

The reason you've never heard their music is because they suck balls. Canadians celebrate mediocrity because that's all we know. If we didn't celebrate something we'd kill yourselves for not being American.

That's why almost every Canadian hates Americans. We have a deep-seated inferiority complex as a nation.

Watched a compilation video of their top 10 songs, fuck that is definitely aggressively mediocre.

Thank you. I feel like I'm going insane. Everyone will not stop talking about this shitty fucking band.

Can you link their "least shitty" song? I'm curious but don't wanna spend too much time trying to find one half decent thing about them

youtube.com/watch?v=LAZUsCONjIQ

Thanks. That sounds like any random blues rock band in any town over 5,000 people. Truly mediocre.

There are 3 reasons this band is popular.

1. They write all their shitty songs about Canada which appeals to the insecure Canadian
2. Government institutions heavily pushed the Tragically Hip as Canada's iconic band in the 90's
3. Radio stations are required by law to play at least 30% Canadian music

They're like something that would start playing when you're at the pub on a Saturday afternoon to half a dozen disinterested patrons who don't even look up from their beer to give them a smattering of polite applause when they finish

The Hip are unironically my favourite band of all time. Hearing Road Apples as a kid is why I learned to play guitar.

how did this degenerate get to be so big

But he was a champion for indigenous rights

You must be really shit at the guitar then if that's your inspiration.

Another reason to be glad he's dead in my book.

I've met many Americans (invariably from border states) who love the Hip.

Wheat Kings is a pretty good song, it's the only one I somewhat like. Who's considered the best Canadian band of all time I wonder?

This is now a 2016 census ethnicity data release prediction threads.
How white are we know? For reference in 2011 we were sitting at about 76.7% white.
My prediction based on the trend of about 3%/5 year reduction trend that has held for 20 years is 73.5% white.
How white will we be anons?

Did you meet them on /r/TragicallyHip you faggot?

There's an infinitesimal % of Americans that have actually heard of the Tragically Hip, and an even smaller % that actually like them.

t. never listened to their albums (or the radio; they've had innumerable radio hits in Canada)

I'm from Kingston and I fucking hate these garbage bags of a band. I can handle the tune but as soon at he starts singing I thank the cancer that took him.

I "radio hit in Canada" means nothing. Radio stations are required to play at least 30% Canadian music and the bar is much lower here.

Someone who gets it. Finally. He sounds like a castrated sheep.

the answer to that is "The band", but america helped. Its the tragedy of the colonies, we work best when its together.

Hip were good, but as stated, Canada has lots of good artists like that, I have heard live many people as good/better then them who never really got famous.

rush? but east coast stuff is probably the best. matt mayes coyote album for more mainstream stuff.

The Hip are not good. They were never good.

This is why they're popular:

I'm in border town and most if my faggot friends love the Hip
I fucking hate it
My shitty ass cover band made me learn New Orleans Is Sinking and I cringe through the whole song as I'm playing it

So much forced contrarianism in this thread.

youtube.com/watch?v=UprEPvCJZE4

mhmm who is a good band then?

Is that supposed to be you proving to us why we're wrong? That song is awful.

Good Canadian music
youtube.com/watch?v=9vST6hVRj2A

I've begun exploring venues to escape the mediocraty.
Here are my favourite songs so far:
youtube.com/watch?v=lbc6qig7XjI
youtube.com/watch?v=oUwAzgyQYSM
The escape comes from a serach

better canadian music

youtube.com/watch?v=lfPwb4f6lo8

I've spent much of my life abroad in expat circles, and for every ~30 Canadians and northern-tier Americans in a place they'll be a Tragically Hip cover band. They become all the more fanatic about it for living abroad.

This thread is not about what's good. It's about venting over feigned empathy over a band no one truly cares about but feel they have to so that they're not attacked by a mindless horde of Canadians.

30 percent white, all on the east coast

best Canadian music

youtube.com/watch?v=v3JaosE-gZE

Agree, the Hip and Matt are the best music to come out of Canada the past couple decades. I have no idea why neither became popular internationally while so many shit Canadians acts do.

Oh ya let the Americans pick music for the world, everyone would be listening to 2 chainz and coffee pot man roasting their own cuck Zionist president 24/7

Road apples is the best album of all time, followed by phantom power

any recommendations for an exchange student here?

What's up, leafbros?

I unironically enjoyed listening to the hip if they just happen to come on the radio... might not be the best band but its stupid to call them bad, mediocre is fair, good is realistic enough.

Mindless Canadian zombies.

hahahha i bet this thread was started by chris murphy of sloan because he was always jelly gordo got more attention than him or someshit.

I KNOW ITS YOU CHRIS MURPHY YOU TWAT

>I hate the tragically hip, and I'm glad Gordon Downie is dead
couldn't give less of a fuck over these two.

>Radio stations are required by law to play at least 30% Canadian music

holy shit this is so bad

You're spot-on about everything you said. God I'm glad I'm Québécois and actually have a distinct culture from this cucked faggot-ass excuse for a country.

If forced I'd choose Fully Completely, Road Apples a very close second. All their albums are great though up to We Are the Same which is just OK.

Canada is truly the most pathetic country on earth. We literally would be a third world country if we weren't direct neighbours with the US.

Back to China with you Lu Xia

Canadas lost mate... full outbreak levels
You are infected too... we all are

If only you knew how bad it is

I'm glad he's dead too.

Seeing him cry holding a feather while being embraced by native leaders before he died was a pathetic sight.

Glad I won't have to listen to people talk about him in a week or so.

Their music was so overrated. Only a couple good songs.

Brings me back to growing up in the 90's though.

I hear ya
My local one is called Strictly Hip
I saw them once in a bar right after seeing Van Halen about 5 years ago
Talk about 2 totally different energy levels

>Implying we are not already a third world country
>Implying canadians are not proud being pathetic.

And yet you still dont get how bad it is do you....

Checking
Kek has spoken everyone Canada is now Brazil 2 Winter Edition.

as far as I'm aware of, this and "Sundown" are Canada's best songs

Fuck off nigger, they're a decent band. Trudeau being a little bitch doesn't change that.
Not a band, but I have to say Stan Rogers would be the best Canadian musical artist. The east coast in general is disproportionately good.

Mindless Canadian zombie.

>itt chink who is now staying in Canada doesn't like the Hip because it doesn't appeal to his weeb shit k-pop trash.

Or they are just a shittet from Toronto or Quebec. Same shit.

>Trudeau being a little bitch doesn't change that.
I've avoided all the Trudeau/Hip coverage as much as I could, listened to the last concert on radio, haven't seen the crying clip, because I don't want bad feelings about Trudeau's opportunism to spoil my memories / feelings about the Hip.

Mindless contrarian edgelord.

they're an objectively bad band m8

why are québécis so much better at everything

youtube.com/watch?v=-wbQY7Hz_Ns

>A world where being annoyed by nation-wide hysteria over a shitty band is considered edgy
You are truly retarded, leafbro.

I don't expect an Americunt to understand the significance of the Hip for Canadians. So fuck off ya goof.

He was a good man with good intentions. My family has a cottage on the same island as him and he was always a great person within the community.

Just because you diagree with his politics doesn't change that.

>generic shitty roots rock band that comes on the radio all the time

yeah we have one over here it's called Steve Miller

The significance of the Hip is that every song they wrote is about you. That matters to you because you're insecure and the only thing keeping you from killing yourself is being proud of being born in a mediocre country.

If you grew up in Canada it must have been in some immigrant ghetto if you don't get it.

>Not posting best hip song
youtu.be/QE2joQsWXJg

That's the same in almost all countries.

>being annoyed
vs
>sperging out about how much you hate your own country and how everything you don't like is terrible and deserves to die
You're a sad sack of shit.

if it required tax dollars to promote and ain't a national park it probably ain't that important

They're not the greatest thing ever but they're hardly bad. I'm sure there is some local band that's pretty big in every American locale not necessarily because they're the best musically but they make songs referencing and appealing to the locals.Probably helps that they've been around for like 30 years as well.

>listening to the lyrics

look at this faggot

Neil Young. Anyone who disagrees is a pleb

lyrics are more enjoyable when your culture shuns just rhyming nigger with nigger over and over

>How to piss off a Canadian, call them out on their inferiority complex

Try making an actual argument, leafbro.

t.chinkfag

That song makes me wish I were deaf so that I'd never have to listen to it again.

Rush
Bto
Lenord cohan
Guess who
The band
Neil diamond
There's lots

Then you have shit taste little girl

Not a chink. I just have an identity outside of liking things just because they are Canadian.

>Neil diamond
You mean Neil Young?

rate my reading list brahs

Where you from ya goof?

Yeah sorry.... Sorry everyone

Born here, and white.

Ya PC rat goof

oops

I have a Canadian friend that I met on PS4. He’s uber liberal from Ontario. I told him I wanted to visit Quebec City because it seems historic and nationalist and he said, “it’s filthy there and everyone hates you if you don’t speak French”

Is this true Sup Forums?

I meant what provence, chucklefuck.

Are you 14?

Yes Montreal is the only ok part of quebec

>If it required tax dollars

You know that the vast majority of musicians pay for airtime, right?

In Canada there is forced Canadain content. Basically what that means is the entertainment we make is so shitty that it can't compete with American or European entertainment so the Canadian government had to put minimums on how much Canadian content you play each day. That goes for TV, radio and things like Netflix.

It's hell, I hate Canadian music so much now after being forced to hear it on the radio at work everyday.

No.

Quebec City is the prettiest in North America. Your friend has never been to Quebec.

Unfortunately, Ontario. Also, learn to spell.

No its like football... If you're good enough you'll go to the u.s