Drugs in anime

So why does anime barely have drug users? Even a minor character with a subplot of doing drugs would suffice.
I know Japan is harsh as shit on drugs, but is it a taboo to even mention it in fiction?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IMb-Cc5R7fk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Mostly it's seen as a very dark thing, when marijuana has a bad stigma with it.

Also cause of it's nature, most natives can't relate

They exist in a decent amount of settings. The better question is why you want more of them.

>wanting shitty "dude weed elemayoh" humor in chinese cartons

Drug content is only appropriate for adults and its hard for anime to make money if kids can't watch it.

Most drugs in Japan are foreign. That alone tells you a lot.
It's not taboo, it's simply very uncommon there. Ask yourself why Western Cartoons don't talk about durians.

Drugs are rarer and looked down upon,
Except smoking.
Everyone loves smoking.

Theres alot of that in anime, for example.

Shows where the characters uses some drug to power up or obtain power because they weren't born with it.

Like Chrome Shelled Regios

There's even drugs in sao when the characters are in the hospital

They are rarely mentioned, and when they are it's usually just drug trafficking, never the use of it.
I just have interest in seeing them being portrayed in anime, drug addiction is interesting to watch when well done.
I don't like that type of humor, and I'm not talking about weed, I'm talking about hard drugs used in a serious setting.

It's not uncommon in manga, I think TV probably has harsher restrictions on 'encouraging' drug use by depicting it at all.

Is smoking banned on TV in Japan like in the US? We can't show anyone smoking on TV, or even cig adverts. I think you can show smoking if the show's rating is MA or something really high.

because asians dont like to have fun

thats why they all do speed/meth/coke
to be more productive

Nice rec thread.

they smoke weed in black lagoon, they never really say its weed but it is weed

>Kamisama no Memocho
>Code Geass
even One Piece has drug in Punk Hazard arc

I remember in 08th Ms Teams omake there was a scene where a soldier offers his team mate a cigarette. He turns it down because he's underage. Even though they're in a fucking war.

Japan's serious when it comes to drugs.

> I know Japan is harsh as shit on drugs, but is it a taboo to even mention it in fiction?
Issues brought up in anime are somewhat connected to real Japan, and there drugs are absolutely not something that exists in the life of an average citizen. Unlike America, where everyone and their mother knows at least a couple of stoners and probably a guy who sells stuff, and the Japanese are very likely to go through their life without ever meeting anyone who does drugs. This + very negative perception of drugs pushed by media and the government = absolutely one-sided view. It's not even "a controversial issue", most everyone deems drugs to be an incarnation of absolute evil.

I doubt considering that One Piece has Sanji with his permacig and it isn't censored like in the US.

>cute girls doing cute drug addict things
Now that would be a good anime.

lmao

Only anime I can remember with something drug related was Charlotte, and that was as indirectly as it could get.

Welcome to the NHK was supposed to have the MC smoking cannabis, but that was taken out. Would've made a lot more sense though, him being psychotic without any kind of drug abuse was rather silly.

The only time I saw drugs mentioned in Japanese media were in yakuza movies and shitty B movies.
Seems like normales movies and the ones that aren't about the mafia don't like touching the subject.

The Japanese government is pathological about drugs.
You can't even bring perspiration medication with you while traveling there without clearing it with the Japanese embassy first.

Japan has issues with drugs.

It was supposed to be random synthetic cannabinoids he was buying online.

he don goofed

They can't show Jotaro since he's 17, but every thing else is fair game.

Murakami barely mentions drugs (except for that one time), and he's a Westaboo who collects Lovin' Spoonful albums.
Japs just say no.

The novel has Satou and Yamazaki doing drugs quite oftens whick makes Satou hallucinate and become paranoid.
And in the manga there's a page where he snorts a line of cocaine

*prescription

Damned auto-correct!

Sanji's smoking has been uncut in the US for years now, which is funny since the network OP currently airs on shows anti-cig commercials everyfucking time during those hours.

did i (google) get the translation right?

also 420.moe

It wasn't cannabis, it was RCs

Yeah, i've only watched the anime but it doesn't really make sense there. I guess you can get psychotic from massive stress or depression, but that didn't exactly fit, and he wasn't schizophrenic. Also the hallucinations wouldn't be like that from organic psychosis, it seemed to be drug-induced psychosis.

Legendary Gambler Tetsuya had a meth addict.
There was even a warning at the end of the episodes he appeared in telling, the viewer that Hiropon(meth) is dangerous and illegal.

Oh I'm not from the USA so I didn't know that One Piece got re-aired, I only knew about the 4kids dubs which is the I got in my country.

>organic psychosis

I obviously mean inorganic psychosis. Damn I'm tired.

How I wish this was real

>not posting the best drug scene in anime

youtube.com/watch?v=IMb-Cc5R7fk