ITT we post overrated anime

ITT we post overrated anime

By the sixth time the characters talked about how talented and brilliant Tsukimoto is, I had to make sure I wasn’t watching a battle shounen series. At least the observers in Medabots looked anxious and worried. Ikki fought against tough enemies and had to find chinks in their armor. Here, Tsukimoto hits the ball a few times, push up his glasses and walks away. Not smiling did not add depth to the character.

There’s a brilliant story here somewhere. The story follows a cast that each has a different approach to the sport. This is an archetype that gives you so much do it never gets old. Often, the series understands how to use it. There are about five different viewpoints here. Each is unique in its way, and each is presented as reasonable. The creators never rely on caricatures. They rely more on super-talented protagonists and an unorthodox art style that adds nothing.

Tsukimoto and Peco are both talented people who we are supposed to cheer for because they’re talented. While Peco’s lively energy is fun, it’s not enough to drive a main character. It’s barely a quirk for a supporting one. Tsukimoto is supposed to be unique with how he refuse to smile, but his character never settles on pretentious moron or angsty teenager. Both would’ve been fine, but at best the series makes him the former. It also takes his pretense seriously.

There is nothing exciting or valueable in being unenthusiastic about life. Tsukimoto walks around with an apathetic expression and doesn’t seem to like anything. His attitude towards life is the same thing that made Joy Division successful, but Joy Division didn’t just sell indifference. They explored that attitude.

People who reach such a state probably have something in the past that made them this way. They would also lead terribly dull and sad life. The idea that such a person can be so talented is far-fetched. Wouldn’t winning games require some sort of drive? People sometimes hate what they’re good at, but that’s at least an emotion. Ping Pong wants us to believe that a walking embodiment of Joy Division’s classic album is somehow a champion in table tennis.

A bullying story is tacked on at the end. It’s a predictible story that shows us that the kid was disliked, but never the horrible reality of it. Tsukimoto even gets a cheerful person to stick with him. Both of them turn out to be extremely talented in ping pong. Where’s the struggle?

Peco faces losing for the first time and gets bummed, but this is where their troubles end. They’re celebrities and heroes in the eyes of everyone, but not heroes that are uncomfortable in their position. They’re not like Kazama, who was driven to succeed to cover up his emotional troubles. Kazama is a champion who uses victories as a way to find happiness that he can’t achieve. His talent is part of his struggle.

Ping Pong also has a strange view of talent. Talent is something you either have or don’t, and no amount of practice can make up for it. It’s a fatalist view, and not a good one. It could be talent is something you’re born with, but how will you know if you’ll never try to prove it? Indifference like Tsukimoto’s rarely produces noteable people.

What’s thrilling in such stories is not to see the characters win. All the creators have to do is just write that the characters won. What’s interesting is their struggle, their view on victory and why they’re doing it. Their reaction to losing or winning is what makes things exciting. China, Sakuma and the long-haired dude all have such an arc. One uses the sport to return back home. One uses it to lift up his own low self-confidence. Another one is on an eternal search for meaning.

Their stories are far more exciting and humane than Tsukimoto’s/Peco’s. They are stories of people like us, rather than two people who found out they’re talented. It’s amazing how similar it is to cookie-cutter heroic stories. Substitute ‘talent in ping pong’ with ‘magic sword’, ‘victory’ for ‘saving the world’ and it turns out the anime isn’t so unique as it looks.

How it looks is a big discussion point, but not that exciting. The only good thing about it is how unorthodox it is. The character design is a weird take on realism that looks grotesque without bridging the gap. What especially sticks out are the lips, which look huge. The sketchiness also makes the character design inconsistent. In too many scenes, the characters look like blobs.

This is not minimalism. They look like shapes drawn in a few seconds. The roughness achieves nothing. It could be an expression of the character’s imperfection, but the story disagrees with that. Peco and Tsukimoto are heroic champions. It doesn’t achieve any type of warmth because it’s too stylized and distant. All the rough lines and emphasized lips don’t give it the elegant simplicity that saved Mushishi’s character design. Being different is great, but if it doesn’t contribute to the story it’s just a fancy cover. There’s nothing particularly unusual about it other than a sketchy look that achieves nothing.

The animation is different, and Ping Pong fares better there. The series overcomes one of anime’s main flaws – its static animation. Most anime are fairly static, with more focus on design rather than motion. While Ping Pong fails in design, it’s a total success in kinetic energy. The Ping Pong matches are stylized action scenes that rely on visual expressions, not coherency.

Animating a sports match as it looks in reality is pointless. If you want to watch a real game, you’ll watch a real one. The only reason we watch a sports story is because of what the sport means to the characters. Each match is animated with focus on its place in the character development. The matches are the same in what happens in them. They all consist of people hitting the ball. The difference between them is the meaning, and so every match is an engrossing action scene that leaves everything else in the dust. It doesn’t just set the blueprint for how to animate sport scenes but how to animate action scenes in general.

Ping Pong is not the peak of anime. It’s not even among the more unusual of its type. Despite trying to create its own rules, not enough of them serve the story and it falls back on sport prodigies. The exploration of that type doesn’t go deep enough. Still, it has a great cast of side-characters and fantastic action scenes. Its attempts at understanding its cast are admirable, and so it relies more on developed characters than emotional manipulation. It’s not a milestone, but there’s enough to enjoy here.

Kys

>Reverse search
>links to MAL

Stop posting your reviews here.

Basically anything that gets talked about.

t. ping pong fans that can't refute my points.

I wouldn't say everything, but a good portion are yeah.

Aria is a decent iyashikei series with awful comedy that gets promoted to greatness by waifufags.

I haven't seen a thread about it since it aired until just now
I think you need to look up the definition of what overrated means

Agreed

I find EoE to be overrated as well, since most people seem to love that and consider it better than the series. But I'm the opposite, the series is much better for me.

Texhnolyze was another overrated grimdark edgy show for the sake of being edgy. It reminded me of an anime version of The Road in that regard.

being discussed a lot doesn't make a show overrated, unless you consider Re Zero overrated.

Ashita no Joe never gets any threads but people unanimously agree that it's a masterpiece.

bump

Gurren Lagann, not so good

Fuck off

THIS.

how about you refute my points or fuck off yourself, retard.

this

Tatami Galaxy
One Punch Man
Re:Zero

rezero is overrated yes.

I don't need to read your shitty mal review to know how wrong you are

pretty much everything from memeaaki yuasa

>Ashita no Joe never gets any threads but people unanimously agree that it's a masterpiece.

Who the hell gathered together and decided that?
I think Joe is great, but keep in mind that it's a 126 episode long series that's nearly half a decade old, of course the majority of opinions you're going to hear about it are positive. Most people who didn't like it wouldn't watch the entire thing.

It's way older than half a decade user, unless u mean half a century. And most complaints that I've seen towards the series are the animation in fights, with the manga having next to no complaints at all.

It gets a lot of threads, but it seems like very few actually consider it a great show.

Any Tomino written Gundam series, honestly. But Zeta gets a particular amount of praise for being dark and edgy.

0079 and ZZ are god-tier. ZZ is even underrated. It is just Zeta that is horrible shit.

You're favorite anime

my favorite anime are Digimon Tamers and Kill la Kill. I'd hardly call them overrated.

Monster, now there's a show that needs some surgery.

Legend of the gaylactating homos

0079's the one exception to my Tomino rule, but even then he managed to fuck that up with Char's Counterattack.

I think ZZ is a solid 6/10 and better than Zeta, but it still shared a lot of the problems I had with Zeta in the first place.

Besides the size of the mechas, and that character, I didnt find anything appealing on TTGL.

Seriously, everytime I try to remember something good other than what I just said, nope.

I started to watch monster because so many people sold it to me like it was some sort of hot shit that NEEDED to be watched.

I do like stories with people with psycological or psychiatrical disorders, So I though Moster fits the bill and should be interesting

I watched like 10-15 episodes, dropped it because nothing of interest was found. Boring? no. For me it was just MEH.

Is Monster even overrated anymore? It seems like a good 50 percent of Sup Forums hates it, though I guess outside of Sup Forums it's still loved. But yeah, I found it utterly boring too.

Death Note is much more compelling desu.

Gurren Lagann, not so good.

205 minutes

By using a phrase like "overrated" loses meaning if you misuse it.

Its lazy criticism that has no real meaning where you can apply it to nearly everything.

>Re:zero is overrated
>Gurren Laggan is overrated
>Nyon nyon biyori is overrated
>Monogatari is overrated

Etc

Overrated is a term used to pretty much say "You like this too much" and a majority of the time its used as a way of understanding that its an overall good thing.
Not everyone is going to agree that these are acceptable anime but there are majorities who do love it and there is no universally loved anime; however, a person who does have a lesser interest will may say "stop liking it so much." Just by using the word "Overrated" to hide their true emotions towards it.

>Too many people like this is not a argument.
>Its too popular is not a bad thing in its entirety.

Now how do you really feel about it?

Shit, I ment to reply to