Is depression a mental illness or is it a choice?

Is depression a mental illness or is it a choice?

I've seen depression and mental illness constantly be pressed by the media and doctors, always prescribing medication like SSRI's and Benzos over and over.

Is it a mindset that people have due to a lack of self-control? Or is it something bigger?

choices in life can lead to depression, grief and stress too. I think the scientists are right with their theory of plastic changes to patients brains but I am not sure about SSRI and SNRI drugs. they seem to come at a hefty price (side effects that apparently stick after the drugs have bern cleared out of the patients system).
they are even experimenting with dissociatives and there haven‘t been many new AD‘s reaching the market in the last years.

Sometimes fate (no matter how well you chose or plan) shits on you.

depends on your belief, fate implies there is a god.

>Is depression a mental illness or is it a choice?
Neither, it's a state of mind that everyone goes through for different reasons.

It could be a mental problem, it could be from external stimuli. Some people DO have this as a cronic issue, most however do not. SSRI's are just being pushed by Big Pharma.

Of course there are going to be medical reasons for someone's depression, but in the vast majority of cases the reason for depression could be through unprocessed trauma.

If you're a 48 year old woman, with no husband or children, or an 16 year old boy with no father, most people will be happy to diagnose you with x, y or z, but how many people are out there who would be willing to tell these hypothetical subjects the truth?

All the people who have I encountered with depression or just general discontent, seem to have had incredibly clear reasons as to why, yet the ability to answer for this seems just TOO uncomfortable to discuss

Also, think about the implications of recognizing trauma. If mainstream society started to informally and formally recognize the abuses of say, single motherhood, then there are literal tens of millions of people who are suddenly guilty of propagating and supporting this abuse.

The consequences for drug treatments are far less risky

>fate implies there is a god

Not necessarily. Shit just happens. Take for example you're on a beachhead say Normandy and your buddy to the left of you get's blasted and so does the buddy on your right and you made it to the end of end war or vice versa you get blasted and your buddies survive. This does not imply there is a god. Fate is just a nicer way of say shit happens.

It is more than a mental state. The brain has shown to have plasticity and while depressed, you can have chemical inbalances. As far for anti depressants, i believe that they are affective in accordance with psychological therpay at lower dosage. Just anti depressants alone make you a zombie.

It's the consequence of being intelligent in a sick society.

we've been on this planet for at least 100,000 years. SSRIs and other anti-depressants have been around for the last 50. you don't need pills to get over what's bothering you. never let them dull your mind.

SSRIs are not meant to cure depression but alleviate some symptoms. The core is psychological

No it's from low dopamine and serotonin imbalance, that can be caused from a number of things but I've been depressed before and it's basically just a lack of motivation and a pessimistic outlook on most things in a sort of melancholic state.
It's not rocket science and it baffles me how people think it isn't real.

I’m living proof that it’s an actual mental illness
>be me lose weight get fit and eat healthy every day after being fat for a child
>still depressed and miserable
>get girlfriend and fuck her every single week after getting fit
>still depressed and feel more emptier than ever before after realizing that having a gf wasn’t enough and that women are a meme
> be me now, I consider suicide every living second of the day

Since I was a child *****

This

SSRI's are a leg up to help you sort your shit. They work for some people, and not for others.

Language, used effectively, can be highly useful. However, there's a catch. You're perceiving through your senses, which are noticing differences in your environment. Through humans evolving, we gained ability for language. We're able to talk about our precepts. Language is thus a 2nd filter, 1st filter is perceiving through senses, which is still limited. Thinking involves time, so that's where wording like "depression" is problematic. Can you point to depression? Put depression in a box? Usually words with "ion" are transforming a ongoing process into a frozen in time word. Usually through working with logic, changing static words into processes, which they are, and changing how you use language, you can change how you feel. Even a person who claims they have "depression", which is illogical, because do they have "depression" when they're sleeping?? nope. Also, even though they generalize their experiencing by using word "depression" there's still been times where they're feeling happy/excited ect. Your nervous system acts mostly directly on what you tell it to do, so ensure you're commanding it specifically, and in a direction you want to head in.

Depression develops from addiction to the pleasant relief experienced when you consider yourself incapable of facing your problems head-on, for it frees you from the responsibility of solving them. This relief comes at the price of MAKING you incapable of handling responsibility by automatizing your inclination to give up.

Then your life falls apart, the pleasure is reduced to the ephemeral high of a heroin addict and you feel... morbid.

I expected a thread about mental illness to get trolled into the dirt. Then i realised, who TF else would be on here.

wise words

I wouldn't be so depressed if my life wasn't so shitty. But maybe my life wouldn't be so shitty if I wasn't so depressed.

There's only two tragedies in life. The first is wanting something, the other is getting it.

Playboy operated a CP ring in the 70s. Spread the word on social media. Send the info to independently produced news.

I became depressed after years of seeing people and faces that weren’t really there. It started when I was around 8 years old. My parents kept telling I was seeing “spirits” and that it was some sort of gift.
I tried my best to ignore it. At the age of 12 I began having very bad nightmares every single night. They felt extremely real and intense. The nightmares stopped around the age of 16 but the hallucinations became far more intense.
Around the time I was going to turn 18 is when I finally snapped. I had decided to take more than 20 credits my first semester at a very rigorous university. I only had one class on Thursdays and it was a discussion. I would stay up from Monday to Wednesday and sleep through Thursday. Then stay up Friday and Sunday and try to get some sleep on Sunday night.
I held on for months like this until I started to hear voices. The very first time it was actually dogs barking in the distance, more dogs than were even in my neighborhood. I didn’t think too much of it. The next time I tried to sleep I began hearing screaming. My ears felt like they were ringing because of it. Then I would start seeing people or creatures that were normally accompanied by whispers and shrieks.
In the middle of November I finally decided to go see a doctor. They ran lots of tests and told me how badly I had declined. The suicidal thoughts were constant by then. My doctor wamted to put me on antidepressants but my parents weren’t having that. Instead I was treated for migraines and told I need to be getting 8 hours of sleep each night.
My grades went downhill fast and the next semester was even worse. Over the sunmer I got a job and started seeking treatment that my parents were unaware of. I was finally treated for depression.
I felt a lot better and I stopped wanting to kill myself but I was still heard voices and saw shit. It wasn’t until two years later that I was finally able to be treated for that. I’m definitely on the mental illness boat.

it's a sick marketing campaign that tricks you into taking life-altering, debilitating, addictive and harmful/unhealthy drugs, not to mention the staggering financial cost
>and now for some more mental illness "awareness" campaigns, coming to a kindergarten near you
it also has the added bonus of dumbing down the population through infantilization and rewarding laziness
>it's not my fault, i just have anxiety and autism

Oscar Wilde over here.