Lazy animator tricks

What are some tricks you notice lazy animators use?

This is probably more common but I just noticed that they'll cover a mouth with a shadow so they don't have to anime the talking

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=6wyk5tGYTjY
youtube.com/watch?v=PHNnL9hSEBU
youtu.be/BBAJdtPVnZc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

CG

>Berserk
>animated

>I just noticed that they'll cover a mouth with a shadow so they don't have to anime the talking

That's literally not a thing. You don't have to do much to animate mouth movement, just three frames and call it a day.

Yeah, I'm also sick of seeing coconut guns everywhere. It's turned from a tool to a shortcut.

You seriously underestimate how lazy/underbudget some studios are

They save frames where they can, it all adds up

Shortcuts are not inherently lazy.

The classic

>trips
Fuck that was awkward as fuck.

If you need to save money just use markers for color. It looks more artistic.

They're not. There's plenty of reasons why someone would use a shortcut without just being lazy.

Ever tried animating something? Or even educating yourself in the topic? Don't complain about shit you know nothing about.

>you have to be an animator to know when an animator is being lazy

You know what's lazy? Just posting a reaction image instead actually responding to someone.

It is but at least I won't deny it.

Gundam used pink ink for explosions because it was cheap and they didn't use it for much else
Bright's hair turns green sometimes in 0079/Zeta/ZZ because they kept on running out of black ink, they used a ton of it making all the space backgrounds in the show

assume it's true, why would I want to put in effort for fags like you? is the IP sells, then effort itself is not needed.

if*

>effort itself is not needed.

I never implied it was. Some of the best selling anime shows employ shortcuts all the time. I just like noticing them.

What about this?

>CG
>hiding the mouth

doubly lazy

>What are some tricks you notice lazy animators use?
Shaft's powerpoint presentations they like to pass off as animation.

I heard before that Sunrise purchased too much pink paint and wanted to get rid of their stockpile. VOTOMS also had pink explosions and, later in the series, the enemy Scopedogs start using a pink color scheme which looks fruity as heck.

Speed lines

m.youtube.com/watch?v=6wyk5tGYTjY

I really wish there was a show that did something like this. The closest I can think of is a few shorts, and Kaguyahime. It looks fucking great.

You mean fucking terrible.

>4.5 minutes with only maybe 20 actual frames of animation

impressive

>characters are walking
>feet are not visible
>it's just a still image of the characters upper bodies being moved side to side

I introduced my friend to Eva and he was caught off guard when the scene continued because he thought I paused it

Yes, the fact that it still looks good is quite impressive. That is the proof of a good team. Making a lot with a little.

Let's leave the 80s shows alone in this. Nothing they did in that period was easy.

I'm not picking on em, I was just bringing it up since it was related to the thread

You have pretty bad taste man.

>I have to work based on a budget and take shortcuts while using methods to save as much money as possible
>Nah, you're lazy as fuck

Alright.

this never happens

wageslave animatorcuck detected

It didn't look good.

Maybe I didn't describe it well, ESLfag and all, but I meant something like this

Isn't EVA infamous for a bunch of stuff like this?

>Extremely competitive job
>Wage slave

I highly doubt any animator would actually be lazy in that kind of situation. Japan has really great work ethics.

>competitive
>implying they don't just shit out korean animatorcucks left and right

it was probably much more competitive 20 years ago when computers weren't involved

christ now that's literal corner cutting

Well technically they used more than 20, but still a small amount for 4 minutes
You're wrong

It's what happens when an anime production is really poorly scheduled.

>Japan has really great work ethics
literally laughed IRL

>You're wrong

He isn't.

It's visually incredible boring.

Maybe you should do real research.

>they don't bother animating jaw movement, unless it's a profile view, occasionally

I've come to accept it. Funnily enough, people bitch about Killer Queen but I noticed they ALWAYS animate jaw movement in Jojo. Even Kyoani usually doesn't bother.

ah yes all those hours of undocumented overtime and """optional""" time coworkers

It's kinda jarring when a show is 90% mouth flaps but then has actual proper facial movement in a scene.

Ei Aoki isn't a very good director.

>walkingaroundincircles.gif

I mean, I can understand that some designs just don't gel well with proper facial movement. It's not like Samurai Jack moved his chin when he deigned to speak either.

I noticed an increasing amount of animators like to draw very simple-looking effects these days. Smoke is drawn with simple forms that has either basic two tones or even one, in a basic shape and then debris tends to get drawn as blocky shapes instead of pieces that break off in a way that makes sense.

isn't that just the webgen style?

>Japan has really great work ethics
The teaching job can't be THAT good, Ken-sama.

Whatever it is, it looks lazy and unappealing.

i fucking hate what digital animation has done to the industry
animators are getting lazier every single day, what the fuck is going on

youtube.com/watch?v=PHNnL9hSEBU

There isn't a single pre-digital TV anime that's as well animated as Mob Psycho.

weak bait

>Item (usually a Kimono/Yukata) has a complicated pattern on it
>Pattern stays perfectly still on the screen while the item moves around
It annoys me

I find this in-fucking-excusable.
youtu.be/BBAJdtPVnZc

It's true though. The best-animated TV anime come from the modern era. Great animation in old anime is more easily found in movies and OVAs.

Annoyed me too but I kinda learnt to love it with Gankutsuou

Every anime: tons of pans and scans with the only animation being lip flaps.

That's more due to limited resources than laziness though.

Why do you think it's the fault of digital animation rather than the animators themselves?

Not even b8ing. It's one of the few anime that actually makes use of the 12 principles, can't say that about your precious MUH SHADING OVA's.

OVAs look way better than Mob Psycho trash tho.

Pretty sure the average anime demonstrates the 12 principles to an extent for them to qualify as animated work. You may argue some of the principles may not be well-executed, but they're there nonetheless.

Record of Lodoss War was a beautiful looking picture book.

If you include OVAs then Mob Psycho is not as good looking as a lot of shows. Mob Psycho is very good looking for a tv anime, but OVAs are not tv anime, so you shouldn't be comparing them just as you wouldn't be comparing to to something like an Oshii movie where the animation is on a very high standard.

>muh 12 principles
Go b2Disney films, you fag.

OVAs were released in a monthly or annual format.
It wasn't a good time.

Doesn't help that most of them looked pretty bad.

Meant to say
>Mob Psycho is very good looking for a tv anime that aren't made by KyoAni

it was animated better than anything kyoani has done

Mob Psycho, or any of the best TV shows can go toe-to-toe with the best of old OVAs.

>lodoss
>animated

Lodoss was interesting in that regard. The reason for there being a lot of stills is pretty simple. The character designs are some of the most advanced I've ever seen, really detailed. If there were to be a lot of movement, the douga would've taken ages, which is not something they could've afforded on an OVA. I liked the overall feel the anime had, specially the stuff Matsumoto animated, but I gotta agree that the amount of stills made me lose a bit of interest.

It Lodoss worth the watch? I only watched Legend of Crystania.

Disney animators mastered 2D animation, their approach to animation is sound and remains a great guide for the right approach to animating even today.

>disney
>mastering anything
If you still truly believe that any western animated production is better than Japanese animation at it's height, you're insane. The Japanese mastered 2D, no one else has.
Pic related must be you.

I don't think they are lazy most of the time, just highly constrained by time and money which forces them to cut from every corner and input as little frames as possible for everything else other than main scenes.

Having loadsa money on the other hand is harmful as well and is the main cause of laziness.

Having more time never hurts, but generally speaking things need to be in balance, not too much money or too much time nor the opposite of it.

If we're talking visuals in general than sure, but if we're talking purely animation wise then there's simply a lot more movement in a lot of those polished OVAs. Even the 90s SDC OVAs are more frequently hitting the highs that Mob does, and I don't even consider that to be one of the best animation-wise. Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying Mob and it is very fun to look at, but you can't deny that it's not quite on the same level as, y'know, some of the greatest examples of animation coming from japan.

Yes. Surprisingly more plot than you'd expect, too.

>Even the 90s SDC OVAs are more frequently hitting the highs that Mob does
I'd say Mob has more impressive highs than Stardust Crusaders, though I agree the latter was well-made.

The only thing Japanese 2D animation better than their western counterparts is action. In terms of character animation and effects, the westerners do it much better.

Name one instance where this is true.
The Japanese have far superior backgrounds, which is something you cannot refute.
Character animation is debatable, but movies such as GitS and Metropolis excel in that regard.

You're forgetting that everydisneyshit etc has had a lot of time and money.

>westerners
>animating

I remember reading an article on this. But basically, in the west (note: Not in shows animated in Korea, made in the west), they have so much time to work on shit, that they can almost always use the animation to convey everything. In Japan, they time they have to produce things is much shorter, so they rely a lot more on composition, good storyboarding and visuals to tell the story.

IIRC there's a scene where Rei and Asuka are on an elevator and were stuck on the same frame for like a minute, not saying a word.

Disney animators were very good at what they did, however what they did was a fairly specific thing that has little in common with modern anime.

Both Japanese and Western productions have shown their fair share of great background art. The background art in Bambi and Sleeping Beauty come to mind as far as western productions go.

GitS and Metropolis have got good examples of character animation, but nothing beats the expressiveness and "acting" range of the best Disney 2D animators. The very best of them approached their work like actors would and really aimed to get into the mindset of the character they were animating.

>disney animators
>good at anything
lol

>sad state of current western TV cartoon (due to all the fucking teen shows they are interested in)
>In terms of character animation and effects, the westerners do it much better.
Am I really reading this?

Too bad Western shows lack the basicas of direction and framing.