Asterisk

>not only is the original novel version of Yuu Miyazaki's The Asterisk War not just a cookie-cutter harem, but its heroine, Princess Julis-Alexia von Riessfeld, is not nearly as much of a stereotypical tsundere

>care is taken to make both of the primary protagonists more complex characters rather than rehashed caricatures

>all genestellae are equally judged solely by their strength, not how they acquire it. That sets this series apart from its many similar “magic battle high school” stories

I see those aniplexbucks are still doing their work.

animenewsnetwork.com/review/the-asterisk-war/novel-1/.105999

>primary protagonists more complex characters
What
>he Asterisk War not just a cookie-cutter harem, but its heroine, Princess Julis-Alexia von Riessfeld, is not nearly as much of a stereotypical tsundere
Ahahaha

Pink Houki a shit.

Claudia a best. The show should have been about her trying to seduce and fuck Ayato.

>The show should have been about her trying to seduce and fuck Ayato.
It wasn't already?

All the girls are shit.

Sounds about right for Julis. She's the only decent thing from Asterisk.

She looks awful in that shot

Julius is not the stereotypical tsundere though
Shes just a normal girl

>battle harem LN
>protag is a gary stu japanese aristocrat who is the real ultimate power without even trying and is only kept in check by his older sister having put him into bondage as a young shota
>the series launches into a tournament arc, followed by ANOTHER tournament arc, and then OH SHIT ARE YOU GONNA DO IT ARE YOU GONNA DO A THIRD TOURNAMENT ARC AWWW YISSSSSSSS
>"unique characters"
>"good writing"

dohohoho

This anime is pretty bad senpai, well, maybe I say this because I hate harem type of animes, I just can't watch it.

Compared to Stella and Ouka who respectively got into a romantic relationship early and a surprisingly decent character, Julis got the shortest end of the stick supplemented by being in the most dreadfully boring series I've ever watched.

Fuck off, Stellafag. Claudia is the worst.

Oh baby. I see ANN is still loving all that money from Aniplex.

They're not even trying to be subtle about it

>Ouka
>I've been conducting summary executions of suspects, but instead of being court martialed I'm just busted down to cadet.
>Also I guess I'll stop now because you did your equal redistribution of the burden speech and because Mari is cute
>Decent

Introducing what kind of character she was in the past and then having her turn into a decent human being is pretty par for the course, which is saying a lot for these types of series.

Even out of context, that sounds way more entertaining.

No, it's genuinely fucking terrible.

So she has a background? Wow so original and unique

Right? Way better than most.

Yeah except Julis also has a background, shocking right?

The anime is a so-so adaptation, but I still enjoyed it. It's not good, but it isn't that bad either. There are far worse harem anime out there.

Its far better than most battle harems because of the animation and soundtrack

The stories are all shit in these anyway

Too bad they never bothered to explain anything about her until AFTER she had to be walked in on changing. One of the most laughable ways to introduce a character.

As a novelfag, I have to say that while Julis as a heroine and character is one of the stronger merits of the LN, Asterisk's setting and its variety of cute and interesting secondary supporting characters are all exceptional themselves.

>Too bad they never bothered to explain anything about her

Confirmed for not watching

Why is the fan translation so verbose compared to the official version? Is it a reflection of the original writing or was the fan translator just being pretentious? The official translator does have a Master's degree in modern Japanese literature.

Can't disagree about the animation and OST there.

Just dat ED.

Before the she gets walked in on?
Read again.

Too bad I'll never give this series an actual chance. The adaptation was so boring that it killed any sort of minimal interest I had in it. If it was a faithful adaptation, then I wouldn't want any more of it.

Julis is one of the characters that I think would benefit from being in another series. She's actually a well balanced character. She isn't particularly quirky though, and in all honesty, would be the template for "normal" I think.

I wish I could work for ANN and get paid everyday to write absolute fucking horseshit. Oh wait. That's just internet publications in general.

Asterisk was a show about headpats, disguising itself as a battle harem.

Seems like you need haven't watched it either. Julis' first scene is her changing.

Good girl stuck in a mediocre as hell series.

The anime ends after that scene right

Shit budget antimagic had around the same level of headpats.

Asterisk was such a failure that it, along with Hundred, killed magical academy battle harems probably for a good dozen or so seasons.

it should've been about SAYA's dad inventing a machine that lets him pat kirin and saya's heads, together.

Thank god. Now we can get to the other shit, isekai. From one shit to the other.

Sounds like watching anime is a chore for you

That's still a year down the line lad. Until then, we're back to harem manga and romcom LN adaptations.

You can't kill something that can't be killed. Battle harem are eternal.

I love it. It's shit but I love it. Nothing as good as good trash. This is the best kind of trash, better than real literature.

But of course. Thankfully their horrid magical academy ilk are dead.

>dead
I can only say you're delusions.

I wish I was the physical manifestation of delusions. ;_;

How many battle harems are we getting on the next season?
1? 2?

Well, you are always super special.

Battle harems are finished atlast!
Until next year.

Actually, nil. LN adaptations are down to two (Occultic;Nine and Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku).
Remember that Index aired in Autumn (of 2008) though.

I bet Kadokawa will shill isekai shows starting Winter. I can feel it in my GUTS.

>their horrid magical academy ilk are dead
Feels fucking amazing.

Maybe we can all go back to the superior absurd comedy harems again, trashy highschool romcoms, chuuni ass urbanfantasy harems, or even the classic 'definitely not copying IS' battle harems. Actually wait. Looking at all the harems on the horizon, we already are going back to that wondrous time. Glorious.

Fall season might have 1, depending. Maybe 2 if Tenchi Muyo's new series heads in that direction.

I'm already betting on Arifureta anime.

>Actually, nil. LN adaptations are down to two (Occultic;Nine and Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku).

Woah, and back in last winter there were like five.

Jesus, the official translation reads like an actual novel.

Left reads like shitty teenage fanfiction.

Right reads like typical American novel. Left reads like a typical LN that tries to keep the original source eastern prose. If I'm reading a LN, then I rather have left. If I wanted to read Americanized literature style novels then I'll do that instead of reading LNs.

Right feels flowery for some reason and left reminds me of good old shitty translations Right is definitely better, but it's just not the same when reading shitty LNs..

Light novels have garbage prose even in Japanese. I'll take my refined beautiful English over the amateur Japanese that makes up most LNs.

Gotta do everything for those jew shills

>Actually praising right
Disgusting YP devs or Commiefags.

>Commie
>masterful use of English to really let the viewer immerse himself into the anime
>other fansub groups
>shitty use of English draws the viewer out of the anime and creates an unpleasant experience as he frantically tries to read the TL note in time

>being a weeb

That's actually how most Japanese literature are written. Japan is almost as poetic and shit in their fictional writing as China.

Also, that degree means nothing when a TL has to conform to Yen Press' policies.

Agreed.

Left has that stupid "it cant be helped" line

I prefer right

>original source Eastern prose
Do you know how Eastern prose reads to an Eastern reader? A sentence structure that reads naturally to an Easterner should be rewritten to a sentence structure that reads naturally to a Westerner, with underlying meaning preserved. Preserving the actual feel of the end result is important. Unless you think that a translation should preserve the Subject Object Verb sentence construction too because "no Americanizing allowed, the idiosyncrasies of amateur literal J-C-E translation must be preserved"

>Not liking "It can't be helped"

holy shit the fan translation on the left looks like garbage compared to the right

there's such a thing as following TOO closely. English =/= Japanese, you can't just swap out words without regard to conventions

Learn how to compartmentalize and get a higher powerlevel and culture yourself. Problem solved.

>That's actually how most Japanese literature are written. Japan is almost as poetic and shit in their fictional writing as China.
In Japanese and Chinese, poetic writing is laconic because vast quantities of meaning can be conveyed in a space efficient manner through meaningful kanji. There's a whole class of idioms that can be expressed in only four Chinese characters that, when translated into English, end up becoming verbose and clunky and not at all feeling like the original. This is why preserving every little word used is the wrong approach and it's better to just write it into a structure that feels as natural to an English reader as the original felt natural to a Japanese reader.

definitely the best girl

>If I'm reading a LN, then I rather have left. If I wanted to read Americanized literature style novels then I'll do that instead of reading LNs.
Serious. If you hate Japanese in your Japanese cartoons and books then why are you even here? This is mainly why I hate YenShit.

Basement dwelling weebs are the worst.

Holy shit ANN, you can't possibly be sucking this thing's dick any harder

Claudia is wasted in this series.

Her step father is the law.

I'm afraid you've been deceived. You've been reading shit translations by amateurs for so long that in your mind the various errors and awkward stock phrasings that these unqualified travesties fall into have been normalized as "that's how Japanese is supposed to sound!"

Sometimes even knowing Japanese can be a double edged sword. Because in your mind, the translation makes sense because you already know what it's supposed to mean. This is how awkward sentences and things that kind of make sense but also don't are born. This is why professional translator also have editors who don't know any Japanese also read the TL passes, because sometimes someone who doesn't know any Japanese at all is invaluable for being a sounding board to see if a text makes sense or not to someone not familiar with the original. Because while someone who knows Japanese might think 'ahh, the original probably said something like this', you don't have that kind of leeway with someone who has no idea about the original language/text.

And that's why the official translation reads

>Oh well.
Instead of fucking
>It can't be helped

In short, Japanese prose is written differently from English prose. This is very clear if you look at literature outside of light novels. There are standard literary devices that are considered logical in Japanese that do not hold the same kind of nuance, innuendo, and significance when translated one for one into English.

>Literally Yen Press TL dev
Figures you guys woulds shill to get sales.

Those Yen Press devs know a hell of a lot more about Japanese and English than you do.

>anyone who knows an East Asian language is a YP dev

Yen press' localization choices are a separate issue from the quality of the English prose.

I mean shit, the fan translation falls flat on the first fucking sentence.

>falls flat on the first fucking sentence.
How so?

Go away, Digibro.

The PS Vita game was fucking insulting.

>Custom Character mode
>Very fun but every girl frindzones you at the end, basically NTR mode
>Ayato mode
>Super speshul weapon and attack and high stats and girls orbit your dick 24/7

>you need to be Digirbo to hate Asterisk

Are you from Sup Forums? This reads like a Sup Forums post

You must be pretty new if that's your first time seeing dev meme on Sup Forums. It's been used regularly ever since the shitstorms over gg and fansub drama.

That doesn't mean that it should stay. It's a lazy insult.

Digibro doesn't have a monopoly on thinking Asterisk is trash.

Wait, you play as an OC doughnut character? Was the game actually any good?

The fan translation just jumps in and says that "it" has been caught with no attempt to define "it" anywhere in the sentence. The official translation at least established that "something" is falling first.

Seriously? The following paragraph after defines what "it" is.

How is
>closer inspection revealed the vestiges of past repairs
more Japanese than
>with a closer look, he could see where it had been mended
Is it because the fan translator actively tried to avoid inserting the subject of the sentence like a moron?

Antimagic was better.

Kyouya did nothing wrong.
Except that 1 time.

tips fedora

Threadly reminder that Ayato is literally worse than Ichika and nobody likes him unironically.

Am I not the only one who somehow enjoyed antimagic more so than the other two?

LN MCs in general are pretty trash. You get good ones now and then but most of the time they're trash that no one actually cares about.