WWII

Is there any realistic, historicaly accurate anime/mango about WWII?
Specially interested on japanese perspective of the war, if possible.

>inb4 GuP, war harems, or little girls in uniforms
Avoid posting childish stuff

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_mutilation_of_Japanese_war_dead
youtube.com/watch?list=PL495100993320E310&v=c-y3o3hamls
nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=362487
nadesiko-action.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Presentation-to-Bby-Council-April-9th-2015.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I know this one, but it's not about the militar campaign

>accurate portrayal of non-fictional setting
>anime
Pick one faggot

> Historically accurate
> Japanese perspective
Yeah, not likely, the Japs have a bit of a complex about WW2, mainly in that they absolutely refuse to admit they basically war crimed their way across most of Asia and the Pacific. It's like the opposite of the German reaction.

>Specially interested on japanese perspective of the war, if possible.
no

I was just watching Riben Guizi yesterday and wondered if there was anything similar but animated
I expected it to be hard to find, due to their guilt-complexed reserved take on the matter, but not for it to be inexistent.
Damn shame, some histories could be greatly portrayed through animation.

Riben Guizi's an interesting documentary, but it's basically alone. I don't even know of any similar productions in the documentary field, let alone animation.

Autobiographical ones yeah.

>realistic, historicaly accurate
>anime/mango about WWII
>japanese perspective
Pick no more than two.

The cockpit ep2.
Hadashi no Gen.

>realistic, historically accurate anime/mango about WWII?
>Specially japanese perspective

Just give up user.

t. Xian Cheng

There is the winner's history, and there is the loser's history. Only the winner has the right to write what he wants the way he wants.

Alfred Smoular, who received many awards from the French President De Gaulle as a resistance fighter and survived tortures at the concentration camps in Auschwitz and Bofenvalt:

"World War II including the movement of resistance was the fight against Fascism. I can not keep myself silent for such absurd statements which to say we should regard Japan as same as Hitler's Germany. Those absurd statements are nothing but someone's ideological propaganda."

Memoir "Auschwitz 186416 dies in Japan" (Tokyo:Fuso-sha, 1995)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_mutilation_of_Japanese_war_dead

During World War II, some members of the United States military mutilated dead Japanese service personnel in the Pacific theater of operations. The mutilation of Japanese service personnel included the taking of body parts as "war souvenirs" and "war trophies". Teeth and skulls were the most commonly taken "trophies", although other body parts were also collected.

The phenomenon of "trophy-taking" was widespread enough that discussion of it featured prominently in magazines and newspapers, and Franklin Roosevelt himself was reportedly given, by a U.S. Congressman, a gift of a letter-opener made of a man's arm (Roosevelt later ordered that the gift be returned and called for its proper burial).[3][4] The behavior was officially prohibited by the U.S. military, which issued additional guidance as early as 1942 condemning it specifically.[5] Nonetheless, the behavior continued throughout the war in the Pacific Theater, and has resulted in continued discoveries of "trophy skulls" of Japanese combatants in American possession, as well as American and Japanese efforts to repatriate the remains of the Japanese dead.

May 22, 1944 Life Magazine Picture of the Week, "Arizona war worker writes her Navy boyfriend a thank-you-note for the Jap skull he sent her"

>Is there any realistic, historicaly accurate anime/mango about WWII?
Why the actual fuck would Japan do that?
>Avoid posting childish stuff
Nigga fuck off you newfag dick.

Well Hitler did read this one American author's book on eugenics and shit fanatically. Everyone loved that shit back then. Nordics had sterilization programs running in the 70s. Belgians had zoos with pygmies or whatever in the 60s.

They can't do that.

>t.
Fuck off Sup Forums.

"Comfort Women of the Empire" by Professor Park Yuha of Sejong University in South Korea.

"I first confronted the comfort women issue in 1991. It was near the end of my study in Japan. As a volunteer I was translating former Korean comfort women's testimonies for NHK. When I returned to South Korea, the nationalism was out of control. The anti-Japan lobby "Korean Council for the Women Drafted for Military Sexual Slavery" aka "Chong Dae Hyup" (정대협 挺対協) was formed by the South Korean communists. Its leader said publicly it was determined to defame Japan for the next 200 years. Its propaganda turned me off, so I stayed away from this issue for years. I regained my interest in this issue in the early 2000's when I heard that Chong Dae Hyup was confining surviving women in a nursing home called "House of Nanumu." The only time these women were allowed to talk to outsiders was when Chong Dae Hyup needed them to testify for the UN Special Rapporteur or the U.S. politicians. But for some reason I was allowed to talk to them one day in 2003. I could sense that women were not happy being confined in this place. One of the women (Bae Chun-hee) told me she reminisced the romance she had with a Japanese soldier and the sorrow when he died in combat. She said she hated her father who sold her. She also told me that women there didn't appreciate being coached by Chong Dae Hyup to give false testimonies but had to obey Chong Dae Hyup's order. When Japan offered compensation through Asian Women's Fund in 1995, 61 former Korean comfort women defied Chong Dae Hyup's order and accepted compensation. Those 61 women were vilified as traitors. Their names and addresses were published in newspapers as prostitutes, and they had to live the rest of their lives in disgrace. So the rest of the women were terrified of Chong Dae Hyup and wouldn't dare to defy again.

Animentary Ketsudan.
youtube.com/watch?list=PL495100993320E310&v=c-y3o3hamls

>Translation never

Chong Dae Hyup (some of its members were arrested as North Korean spies) has used the comfort women issue for its political purpose, which is to drive a wedge into U.S.-Japan-South Korea security partnership.

The origin of comfort women

With Japan's victory in Sino-Japanese war (1894 - 1895) the Korean Peninsula was no longer under the control of China. As Japanese men began to spend time in Korea, women (mostly from Nagasaki and Kumamoto) followed to comfort them. Most of these women were from poor families.

Korean comfort women

At first comfort women were all Japanese. But after Korea became part of Japan in 1910, ethnic Korean women (Japanese citizens) also became comfort women. By the 1920's Japanese women along with Korean women traveled abroad to comfort Japanese and Korean men there. These Korean women were the predecessors of who later became known as Korean comfort women.

Comfort stations

In the early 1930's the Japanese military used existing prostitution houses in Manchuria as comfort stations. As it advanced into China and Southeast Asia, more comfort stations were needed. So men in prostitution business recruited women and operated comfort stations in order to meet the increased demand. Japanese businessmen recruited Japanese women in Japan. They owned and operated comfort stations employing Japanese women. Korean businessmen recruited Korean women in Korea. They owned and operated comfort stations employing Korean women. (See footnote *3, *4)

>Animentary Ketsudan 01-25
This very old thing about Glorious Nippon.
nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=362487

How the fuck do you respond to that?
>thank you so much I absolutely love it
Seems wrong on multiple levels. What the fuck was that guy thinking?

Two types of comfort women

There were two types of comfort women. (1) Japanese and Korean women (both Japanese citizens) They were not coerced by the Japanese military. (2) Local women in the battlefields (Dutch women in Indonesia, Filipino women in the Philippines, etc.) Dozens of them were coerced by lower ranked Japanese soldiers in violation of the military rules. Those soldiers were court-martialed, and some executed. These two types should have been treated differently. But when the comfort women became an issue in the early 1990's, all women who provided sex to the Japanese military were treated uniformly, and that created a big confusion.

The myth "Korean comfort women were coerced by the Japanese military"

The Korean woman who first claimed this in the early 1990's belonged to Chongsindae during the war. Chongsindae (also called Teishintai in Japanese) was a group of women conscripted by the Japanese military. They worked in factories to manufacture military equipment and uniforms. Since she was conscripted, she thought comfort women were also conscripted. It wasn't that she fabricated the story. It was an innocent mistake on her part. When I examined the initial testimonies of former Korean comfort women, none of them claimed she was coerced by the Japanese military. The majority of the Korean women were sold by their fathers to Korean comfort station owners. Some Korean women were deceived by Korean comfort station owners' agents. Other Korean women were in the world's oldest profession, and they did volunteer to earn good money.

nadesiko-action.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Presentation-to-Bby-Council-April-9th-2015.pdf

Typical american savages.

Cockpit was good, not super accurate (Germans build Nuke ahead of allies and only had one prototype and no backup) but still good.
It may be little heavy handled about its message ("even Nazis didn't stood so low to use nukes")
However it was only 3 part OVA series.

>even Nazis didn't stood so low to use nukes

That does sound stupid as fuck. Anyone on either side would use that shit as soon as they could.

Joker game is one of them.
Very little to do with front line combat though.

So? They were dead.
The problems start when you do it to people who are still alive. Like how the Japanese did.

WE
DINDU
NUFFIN

JUST
WANT
TO
LIBERATE
ASIA
N
SHIEETTTZZZZ

They're a bunch of dindus. The Japanese were savage in a way that surpassed even the Nazis.

Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths by Shigeru Mizuki, it's a sort-of biographical manga about his experiences in WW2 on the island of New Britain in Papua New Guinea. It's pretty good, and certainly does a good job of portraying how fucking retarded the Imperial Japanese Army could be at its worst during WW2.

He also did Showa: A History of Japan about the Shōwa period (1926-1989) which also portrays the war, though more by giving a general overview than telling a particular story.

Man this nigga is the real deal.He was a real soldier that even lost his hand during the war.

Some of the modern day mangaka that write trashy japan dindu manga should be ashamed and commit seppuku in front of his grave.

He went through all that bullshit and lived to become a respected and beloved mangaka who got to do what he loved most for a living, I think that's proof that there is at least some justice in this world.

Pic related, Mizuki with his dad before he got shipped off to the front

Hayao Miyazaki has done some tank-related WW2, such as adapting parts of the book Tigers in the Mud by Otto Carius (a German tank ace) into a manga. They're quite realistic... except for the fact that most of the characters are pigs, because Miyazaki.

Well there's Zipang.
Basically a modern navy ship travels back in time to WW2. Besides the time traveling part, it is very realistic in terms of combat, historic people, the issue of altering time, etc. Plus it takes place in the Pacific theater, mostly in Japanese territories.

Black Knights is pretty fucking good, follows a German tank squad. It's like Fury, but with shit that actually happened, and German.

Everything above this user's post is either newfag sperging or Sup Forums being edgy kids again.

Forgot my pic.

>ctrl+f
>No Grave of Fireflies
Come on guys, it was based on a true story, you don't get any closer then that.

OP's pic seemed to suggest that he wanted to see the military rather than the home front.

All Japanese depictions of WW2 are too loaded with butthurt to be realistic. Just like all American depictions of Vietnam.

>We Were Soldiers
>FMJ
>Apocalypse Now

Do you even Nam movies?

I didn't finish the series but there's basically no combat in the first 10 episodes, just one time when the DD shoots a torp at an American sub.
In fact pretty much 80% of the anime takes place on the modern boat with modern people, except one nip they saved who acts like a fedoratipping weeaboo.

>western people born in the late 90s/early 00s discussing WWII

Two words: Motafumi Kobayashi. This is the author you are looking for

What is your point?

The Cockpit, Barefoot Gen, Grave of the Fireflies.
And actually I would like to have some more projects like Miyazaki tank manga, but about other soldiers. For example. Vasily Zaitsev's memoirs may be a good source for 25 ep series.
The turret should be closer to the center.

I think his point was very clear.

A few episodes of Rakugo are about the war and how it affected life in Japan. I am sure it's all skewed towards their version of things but it kind of made me realize they were just people too.

I get that it could be a thread description but there could be something more or am I just looking for depth that isn't there?

I learn about this thanks to Yukari. For some reason it was published in my country.

Yeah it's pretty slow, but much better than the shit with little girls.

>Auschwitz
>real
Lel

back to your containment board

Don't forget
>Good Morning, Vietnam
and
>>>>>Forrest Gump
to a lesser degree.

There are. Between bakaupdates, mal and anidb you should be able to find what you're looking for. Fuck off.

Thanks to anime I'm now an expert on world war 2 and world history, plus I now know that the Germans and Japanese didn't do anything wrong ever.

I once bought a manga when I was in Italy, italian title is "Ali D'Argento" (Silver Wings in english), dunno the original Japanese name.

It's about kamikaze pilots, more about the emotional issues than the historical/military stategy, but it's probably the more interested I ever read