Is Hisoka a well written character?

Is Hisoka a well written character?

Not well written or badly written, but I do like to see him kill off husbandos and watch fujos cry. Based clown.

Not really a villain, not a good guy, just overpowered and interested in fighting strong opponents. Not really well written or bad written, but interesting enough to keep you watching for mindless fun.

O MY RUBBER NEN

>Not really a villain

You're kidding me right?

He has stupid tattoos

no one in hunter x hunter is well written

That's makeup.

Considering we don't know much about his backstory, he hasn't developed at all, and his motives for doing things are very shallow he's a pretty badly written character.

Even if he isn't overly complex or a target for much development he's written to be someone pretty interesting. That said, I feel like the mangaka could've done a better job of maintaining his air of mystery. The once the unknown becomes known it eventually becomes banal in its own way.

he's a meme character favored by reddit

He is entertaining but shallow and static like most HxH antagonists

>le backstory and le development
Hello, Reddit.

Maybe but all we need know he's is definitely Chrollo's bitch

Gon, Leorio, Killua, the Ant King, most of the troupe, Welfin, Youpi, Meleoron, Knuckle, and Killua's father are all well written.

Hisoka is not.

>leorio instead of kurapika
>youpi instead of pouf and pitou

>most of the troupe
>well written
Who? Maybe Kortopi?

How do Chrollocucks deal with the fact that without magic bullshit Chrollo would get his shit beaten by a girl?

I don't think Chrollofags care about trivial things. Maybe a Hisokafag would.

>hisokacucks are in so much denial they want chrollo to not even use his own abilities so hisoka can have a chance

I can't wait till hisoka kills all the spiders thinking he can take on Chrollo just to realize Chrollo still has hundreds of bullshit abilities to utilize. He's lucky he didn't choose to even use his teleporting people ability in the fight.

Pitou acted in very conflicted ways towards the end. Pouf was well written although all of his efforts were certain to fail and for the most part he felt like a waste of time.

Youpi was definitely well written. His sparing Knuckle was one of the many highlights of the Ant Arc

Kurapika is not particularly well written in any regard. Leorio is simple, but still good and very likeable. Kurapika is an exposition machine with almost no personality and a banal motive/backstory.

Uvogin was exceptionally well written, especially towards the end. I would also say Feitan, Nobunaga, and to a lesser extent Chrollo are well written. Most do not really stand out, to be fair, but none are poorly written. Almost all are somewhat likeable. What happened to Kortopi really upset me.

>not hisokucks
weak meme game

You bring up an interesting point, when the hell are we going to see Machi fight?

>Leorio, Killua
>well written
stopped reading there

HxH doesn't have a set villain like other series. The Phantom Troupe are the closest thing, and even then, they aren't THE villains of the series. Hisoka is just a neutral individual doing things for his own satisfaction.

I think Hisoka is a good example of how to write a character with extremely simple motive in an interesting way.

He was a really creepy, shocking character at first, but he's decayed into something fairly generic and boring. He lost his mystery.

In what way is Killua poorly written?

Surprised that face didn't blow up as a meme.

It was overshadowed by rubber nen.

>but none are poorly written
Most of them are pointless fodder with almost no personality and no real relevance for the story.
Shizuku, Kortopi and hell even Shalnark only exist or existed to use their abilities but we know very little or nothing about them. And why guys like Franklin or Bonolenov are even in this manga?

>What happened to Kortopi really upset me
Why? He was an useless background character, at least his "shitty" death will be rememberd.

You're mostly right.

Kortopi was a background character, but he was a good background character. It reassured me that he was there next to everyone, even if he was a mystery to me. Now he won't be there anymore.

He's very likable but not exceptionally well-written. Chrollo and Meruem were better antagonists.

>overpowered
He's literally never beaten one strong opponent. The only strong guy he's ever faced in the series completely stomped him with effortless ease.

>Killua
>Well written
Found the Killuafag.

>fodder
>well written
wew

HxH is meh but Hisoka might be the best character of it

>Hisocucks

What is wrong with Killua?

He was raised to be an assassin but wants intimacy. After managing to make a friend he's extremely clingy and protective of him. He's somewhat cowardly, dishonest, and anxious about being inferior to those around him, but he tries to protect people he cares about (Gon, Alluka). I don't see how he's necessarily poorly written.

After the obligatory bed scene.

I like him. He ran out of steam as a main villain pretty early in the series, but still brings entertainment to the table and adds chaos when events seem to evolve too predictably.

I don't get this line of thinking.
Why do we need to know where everyone comes from? It's not like you do that with everyone you meet on the street/your workplace either.
Anime already tends to suffer from backstory cluttering, let's not make things even worse.

That's why I like Chrollo more. We've gotten more glimpses into Chrollo's self than Hisoka yet it's still hard to connect the dots with him, he's very enigmatic.

Nothing you mentioned makes him a good character. They are characteristics that gave him potential to be well-written but he never lived up to that potential. He is essentially a selfish asshole who only values Gon because Gon values him, he doesn't care about Gon himself. That's why he fucked off with Alluka as soon as Gon was healed. If there were elements behind this facet that would eventually lead to Killua developing actual feelings of friendship for Gon, then you can say he is well written. Alas, that isn't the case. The most he amounts to is an emotional leech.

>I don't get this line of thinking
I mean...we don't know anything about their personalities, Shizuku is forgetfull and that's it...Shalnark was more cheerful than the others...and Kortopi was shy, I guess? And Franklin and Bolonelov are just there. I just think that Togashi creates way too many bland characters whose existance in the story is meaningless. He needs to read about Chekhov's gun.
>Anime already tends to suffer from backstory cluttering
I agree

Killua's pretty well written if you see him as a textbook transmuter.

Rubber and Gum >>> You.

His satisfaction comes from killing people. And his interest in Gon and Killua is to get them to become strong so he can kill them.

Thats kinda villainous.

Morales are subjective

Conservation of detail. Its a pretty standard thing in fiction. When you serve a lot of pointless details to the reader/viewer, they can become more easily lost. Thats why generally you try to avoid more detailed but ultimately pointless characters. Because when you get too many, it can be harder for the reader to keep up.

Chekov's gun is a rule for a reason.
And thats a can of worms I'm not even gonna touch.

I think you should reread the arc. Aside from Bonolenov(he had like one line in the arc?) and Kortopi all of them received enough characterization to give decent insight into their personalities.

>Literal pedophile
In Japan he is, yes

I'm glad Kortopi died and can't wait for Hisoka to kill the rest spiders! Also Pitou is a she, a cute cat.

Sounds like he was improvising. Like "Oh, his abilities are gum and rubber so therefore he can revive himself" or "Let's make him die but how will I make him come back alive? Oh right."

He is not a pedophile faggot.

Watching Gon and Killua literally gave him an erection

But he stared at Gon and Killua's butt. Also he's taken interest in them but he hasnt been a fighting maniac with them so obviously he wants them in other way

>White people?

>*crowd starts getting upset and heckles begin*

>Listen, listen my brothers!

>White people should be fucking ENSLAVED!

>*crowd starts slowly applauding*

>Every single fucking subhuman white man should be strung on meat hooks

>*crowd starts standing and giving a standing ovation*

>The white man should then be anally penetrated with not black cocks, but black dildos

>*crowd is stunned and is getting slightly violent*

>Why you ask? These privileged white men don't deserve the dark chocolate cock!!!!

>*crowd ferociously yells in approval*

>These white men will only lick up the creme filling after their women are chained up and rammed by the giant chocolate yodels that are the BBC!!!!!

>*crowd is making tribal chants*

>We will hunt down the white man!! We shall castrate them all and sacrifice their women to the black man!!!!!! The offspring will be brought to the interracial breeding grounds!!!! I will clean up the remains with my white boy tongue!!! I shall serve the black man's cock with my white boy tongue!!!! The black man will have his way with me and my people!!!!

>*crowd is erupting and stampedes the theater as the white men are hog tied and dragged to the cock chambers and the women willfully submit to their black masters

>SHABAZZ!!! SHABAZZ!!!! THE BLACK MAN SHALL RISE AGAIN. LITTLE WHITE COCK? I THINK NOT!!!!

He said he had decided of that. And Hisoka used the applications of his powers to survive.

What

Then there are no villains. Ever.

Hisoka usually looks at people to gague their potential or see how much they have grown. He is a fighting maniac and wants to kill them when they will rippen. He particularly said to Gon that he will never fight him again until this happens. His impulses never lead him to rape someone or anything, only kill.

Well just because he doesn't rape doesn't not make him a pedophile. Once again, he definitely got a boner from watching children he was interested in.

Pretty much since it's about your point of view. Some people will find some people villainous and some don't. We just have a definition for it so by our standards we know what's a villain.

Theres not much point arguing with hardcore subjectivists.

That was a nen boner, only caused by exceptional nen and combat skills

>Once again, he definitely got a boner from watching children he was interested in.

Like this user said. He has gotten boners while looking at Gon in action. Remember the battle in which Gon gave the badge back? What about the battle against Razor? He wants that booty man

If Hisoka is a pedo, then Bisky too.

Hisoka is 30 years old.

Antagonists are people who interfere with the goals of the protagonist. The perspective of the story decides who the main character is, not morality.

he most definitely is a pedophile faggot

I think he's pretty decently written. He's not a very complex or deep character, but I don't think a character has to be that to be good. He's written to be entertaining to watch, and he fulfills that role well.

>Kurapika is an exposition machine with almost no personality and a banal motive/backstory.
Good job at outing yourself as a retard.

Explain what makes him a good character

Okay, that's it, this board is full of retards who can't tell what exactly a good character is.
Hisoka is not only well-written, but also belongs to the godlike-tier character.
You are confusing between complex character and well-written character. A character can be complex, has a lot of development and still be shit.
A simple, minimal character like Hisoka without any development is still well-written. Look at every dialogue , every act he has done. they are all interesting and well-executed. Tell me how a character without a single a boring moment is not well-written?

I personally like Chrollo as much as Hisoka, just in case.

>they are all interesting and well-executed
Hisoka's been boring since Greed Island. The shock value wore out.

>this board is full of retards
You are right because was asking about Kurapika not Hisoka you retard.

Same goes with Kurapika, his words, his action, how he interacts with other characters are what makes him good.
His backstory is unnecessary, even without it we still can empathy and appreciate his character. You have seriously forgotten most of details in the manga, unlike books, in manga we can see character expression, and Kurapika's expression is why he is so good in the manga, unlike the boring version of him the anime.

Are we watching the same manga?

How can Hisoka be boring in the fight with Chrollo? His fight analysing skill is pleasure to read. Also the fight with Gotoh, the conversation with the Zodiac, Illumi, all are great.

I was going to answer OP then but was mistaken

What do we even know about Chrollo? I'm not a speedreader but it's been a while, sorry.

>Watching
>Manga

you mean gum AND rubber?

True, but Gon himself had a major breakthrough with the Chimera Ant arc that questioned how much of a 'hero' he was, and Killua is self-explanatory. Hisoka never tried to stop Gon from getting anywhere, or tried to kill him. Going back to CA, Netero did an attack that killed a lot of people to take out the main villain as collateral. In HxH, villains are subjective and Gon was one innocent murder away from being one. Hisoka is the middle man of the series, he's going after Chrollo, a notable villain, but won't hesitate to kill Gon if he proves to no longer be of any use. It's similar to One Piece in how we see Luffy as a hero when he's actually a notorious criminal.

What is it with Japan and gay clowns?

>Not well written or badly written, but I do like to see him kill off husbandos and watch fujos cry.

> implying Hisoka isn't the fujos' favorite.

Chrollo is handsome while Hisoka is ugly.

Yeah but Hisoka is a psychotic rapist

I want Bisky to step on me.

The one person that Hisoka's been actively trying to bang isn't a man.

>ugly
He's just less mysterious.

>Hisoka
>Ugly
He is a bishie.

Literally chose Chrollo over Machi. He's a homosexual.

Kill Chrollo and the others, leave a disgruntled Machi ripe for the dick.

Just finished the 1999 series. Now onto the OVA's. I actually liked the dub.

Can someone explain to me what hisoka got wrong about Chrollo's explanation? Apparently he interpreted it wrong but I'm still confused on which part.

In which form?

Both

In Hisoka's dreams.

Go to bed Nobunaga.

Yes. He's not deep or hugely original but he's perfect for what he is- which is mysterious, charismatic and entertaining. Largely that's owed to the fact that Togashi doesn't ruin him with a sob story or cheesy villainous motives, that he isn't present to the point of overstaying his welcome, and that a lot of thought is put into his fights because his power relies on brains. When he's on panel, something interesting is always happening so it's no wonder he's so popular.

With recent chapters I wouldn't be surprised if he got some character development too, now he's learned he can't always fight without planning in advance and now he seems to have a more personal grudge.