Is Gintama worth reading?

Is Gintama worth reading?

I want to find a new Jump series to get into and Gintama seems like the only currently running manga worth marathoning and getting caught up.

I'm caught up with Soma, and I'm planning on getting caught up with Kimetsu no Yaiba, but I'd like to give Gintama a shot too.

With Bleach over, I need another weekly manga to fill in the gap. It feels weird not reading Bleach every week anymore.

I just recently started watching the anime, so if that's anything to base it on, I'd say hell yes!

At least the anime was definitely a case where the old "3 episode rule" does not apply at all. I'd say the show started really warming up after ~25 episodes, most which were used to introduce surprisingly important characters and the setting in general. I think the show got more bold along the way too, and definitely improved its pacing too. Some individual episodes are hit or miss, but the actual "arcs" are usually damn good.

You should ask MAL, they love it

Rare instance where the anime is better than the manta.

How so?

Yeah, it actually just improves for a long time, and even the recent arcs, although not as good as some of the series' peaks, are still pretty good and never get too long or dragged out.

If you're going by the anime, like mentioned above, the humor really starts shinning with episode 25. Serious arcs and stories take a big longer though. There are some in the first year, but the first really classic one (also with improved animation budget) starts with episode 58.

Gintama anime is better, at least the first ~200 episodes. Feel free to pick up the manga afterwards. Also what about One Piece, OP

I prefer the anime

One Piece is WAY too long, and frankly, I'm not really that interested.

I tried reading it but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

I ended up picking up JoJo instead and I'm now in the middle of reading Steel Ball Run.

Not that user, but aside from the first 2 episodes (which are a misguided attempted at fanservice by throwing all character the anime would introduce through its first 6 months in the first two episodes for the manga fans), most filler in the original Gintama anime run and the 2nd anime were really great. Some of the funniest moments in the series are filler. The voice action direction was pretty good too helping translate manga jokes.

The 3rd Gintama anime (not counting the short 13 episode season between the 2nd and the 3rd one) had a new director though, and generally wasn't an improvement over the manga, mostly following it with little added content and sometimes even messing up stuff like joke timings. When it got into the serious arcs, which came one after the other, without breaks unlike the early serious arcs, the limits of their budget start showing too, and it didn't look nearly as great as previous serious stories that were separated from each other by random humorous stories.

OK, then how much of the anime should I watch and at what point should I switch to the manga?

Watch up to episode 265 and then the 2nd movie (which was co-written by the original manga author and was pretty much a big goodbye from the original anime staff)

>you'll never watch Gintama for the first time again
I hope Sorachi will start a new gag manga when it ends

>tfw indeed watching it for the first time ever, and loving it to bits
it's just weirdly nostalgic to see scenes I recall Sup Forums fuzzing about all those years ago. No idea why I didn't pick this up sooner.

...or actually, I do. 2007-9 had tons of crazy good anime going on and coming out.

It's 600 chapters and has shitton of text and panels. You will never catch up before it ends. But yes it is worth it, I would watch the anime though

I'm more of a manga fan than a anime one.
But in case of gintama I would recommend the anime over the manga.

Watch the 1st episode just to get an introduction and skip the rest for about 20-25 episodes. Earlier Gintama is a huge turn off and you won't miss much by skipping that many episodes.

How is user supposed to know all the character jokes than?

Because they show up every other episode with the same shtick. This is way most people end up dropping the Gintama anime early because they usually don't know it got better after 20 something episodes because those earlier episodes were god fucking awful.

as a newcomer to the series, I wouldn't recommend that. Yeah, it took that 20 eps to really get great, but I don't see myself quite enjoying it even half as much would there not been that lengthy period of getting know the characters and their backgrounds.

this pisses me off it forgets ep 24. saigo is one of the best characters and is pretty important

It's probably going to end this year.

Is there going to be a fourth anime or is the 3rd one still running?

Sorachi has many oneshot to choose from, I hope he does more with the postapocalyptic delinquent one.

fuck you. Sup Forums likes gintama just like MAL