Storytime: Konjiki no Gash!! AKA Zatch Bell: Volume 4

Continuing my dump of Gash bell.

Gash bell is a Shonen action/comedy series by Makoto Raiku. The basic plot premise is that there are 100 kids from the demon

world who come into the normal world to fight until only 1 is left standing, who is crowned king;

I'll be making a thread every day (can't give a specific consistent time of day yet due to IRL bullshit) and will post 1 volume

every day until the whole run is posted.

Previous threads:
Volume 1: Volume 2: Volume 3:

Other urls found in this thread:

n-u-l-l.net/
zatchbell.wikia.com/wiki/Furigaro_and_Gerhart
strawpoll.me/11161971
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>FAQ:

>Why should I be interested?
It has really fantastic art, good humor, great tactical fight's with great choreography and is really excellent at utilizing both positive and negative emotions for FEELS; admittedly the series is a little rough untill arc 2 rolls around where all the above really shines; the art in particular.

>Where are your scans from?
NULL's release. their site is here: n-u-l-l.net/ and they can also be found on bato.to and mangasaurus. EBJ has superior digital volumes for sale on their site, but they are japanese only, I'll be buying and ripping them eventually. There's also some really amazing quality Portuguese scans, but only for like 20 chapters halfway into the series, and, you know, aren't in english

>Isn't Zatch bell that kiddy pokemon ripoff?
You probably saw the localized anime. The anime is pretty not great, and the localization is fucking terrible. The manga is way better, but even it admittedly starts out only above average untill it gets into the second arc.

I encourage you to post and respond to stuff as i'm dumping pages. It's far more fun for me while dumping if I see other people reacting to stuff that's happening and there' conversations I can reply to. However, please do not post images till I finish so the image limit isn't hit before then.

Incidentally, this fight is the one I use as an example of a "standard" one in the series when trying to give other people an idea of what the series is like.

It's actually a bit below average when you include all the stuff from the later arcs but it's a good demonstration of "This is what the series is like" nontheless, especially for these early volumes

Who's the demon that Brago fought last volume?

Furigaro

zatchbell.wikia.com/wiki/Furigaro_and_Gerhart

Ah, please be aware that link has spoilers on it

The Japanese OPs are really good. I could see this series getting a remake though. Especially with stuff like Jojo and Ushio and Tora.

Who would you want to remake it, OP?

My pic would have to be Madhouse.

>The Japanese OPs are really good

They are decent. I think they downplay the darker stuff in the series like the anime does in general, though they nail the lightyearted elements really well.

Once all the allies in the first OP are introduced i'll include it in the OP post for the threads.

I don't know if it would get a remake, though I would love to see Doubutsu no Kuni get an anime. Which reminds me though,

Op after you are done with the entire series here are you going to do the extra chapter of gash that was published as an extra in Doubutsu no Kuni? I think it was chapter 21.2.

Has anyone ever compiled the info we know to see what the spread is like for where in the human world the Mamodo show up? I think it might be interesting to see. I think Raiku probably did pretty decently with this series and spread them out pretty well. There's obviously more in Japan than would be reasonable for its size, but it's not nearly as bad as some other series where literally everything that happens has worldwide consequences, yet it's only dealt with in Japan

Oh, best girl's introduction.

>are you going to do the extra chapter of gash that was published as an extra in Doubutsu no Kuni?
Yep, though I have not decided which trasnlation/release group of it i'll be using.

I was thinking about this last night. Something to consider though is a number of Gash's enemies outright traveled to japan from somewhere else just because they thought he would be an easy target.

Fein from last volume and Robonos from the current fight as you'll find out are examples of that.

I love that face

The series is an absolute goldmine for reaction images, for sure.

I love the anatomy.

If I was Kiyo, I would have started this fight with Jikerudo just to see if it worked on like the shelves or something

In fact, I'd probably try to open with it any time I wasn't somewhere with no metal

Man, Suzume really is no good

Good thing Kiyo is going to meet a much better girl soon

Even Robnos is shocked.

Megumi and tio are overrated trash, Kolulu, Cherish, and Leila are the best

You think Raiku knew Suzume was shit and that is why he introduced Megumi and sidelined Suzume

This was on of the best parts of any fight in the series. Just like the point and set from the fight with the plant guy it really gives you a good idea of how the fights go and why.

Leila
I'll forgive the first part of your post for that.

gonna be stepping out for a sec

>This was on of the best parts of any fight in the series

I'd disagree, the ancient mamdo warc onward has so much good shit

>11 ▶
You both have trash tier taste everyone knows who best girl is.

I'm pretty sure this is like one of the last times he uses Jikerudo

This takes me back.

You're pretty cool, OP.

Oh shit

People who have been paying attention to spell names this whole time will have probably noticed that spell names ending with -ruku or -rugu tend to involve power ups or body enhancements.

Once we get into the final arc i'll post the page that explains all the spell name meanings and such since we'll be past the spoilers that page has

Gash Bell is in my top 3. It's my favorite shonen. You're doing good work user. Nice job.

It's use is limited as fuck.

I figured out all the prefixes and suffixes when doing my own OC spells, it's autistic as fuck, but that's how much I loved this series.

I think the first one I realized/noticed when I first read the series like a decade ago was "ganz/ganzu"

Probably because Jikerudo is OP as fuck.

Love kiyo's faces on this past page btw

Doesn't he get an enhanced version that he uses against Rodeux and then never again?

Kiyo is pretty fucking metal

I like the way it rolls.

Yeah, but he also uses it against Clear note I think

So is it only people who already have read Gash Bell in here?

We need to get some fresh blood. People who don't know the greatness of Gash Bell

And somehow Robonos lives through getting his head blown to pieces

I ran a strawpoll to get an idea on this, about half of the people have already read the whole manga, the other half has either read some of the manga/some of the anime, or the whole anime, but not the whole manga.

then there's like 2-3 people who haven't read/seen the series at all

OHHH Europe inc!!!

I love it when Gash goes to the forest. Such a great moment.

In fact, here's the strawpoll in case you haven't answered it yet

Not quite yet, next volume

fuck, forgot the link: strawpoll.me/11161971

It's just a flesh wound.

The one issue that always bothered me was how outside of the main group, the human partners never really had much face or say in matters. I mean it's understandable, because the story is mostly about the demons. But you got people who don't seem to be psychopathic maniacs who are happily going along with schemes that can kill millions of people at it's worse, and at it's nicest, you still have seemingly normal people who are trying to murder children (not even the demons, their partners) I still adore Gash Bell, but the human partners outside of 'that' arc just felt like non-characters

I've read all the way up to the Clear arc before, but stopped for some reason. However these threads got me to go back into it again.

Oh hey its tsundere Tank-whitemage

Fuck it, make it David Production

Man I remember watching this fight on toonami as a kid. Shit was fucking hype.

I guess, also, none of us have been putting arc names in spoiler tags, as they don't mean much if you don't have any context, so it's fine if you say which one as long as any specifics are spoiled

David would do really well with all the comically wonky faces, but I think the series deserves a little more actual animation and good movement then what they usually do.

The end of the clear note arc/the series is really well done, so hopefully you stick with the threads long enough to get there.

>Tomb of the Vulcans
Fuck, Vulcan is so fucking great

Best dog