Why the fuck did the author just randomly stop writing Banner of the Stars?

Why the fuck did the author just randomly stop writing Banner of the Stars?

Other urls found in this thread:

gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=178073
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

He wrote a new novel not too long ago.

He also put out some short story collections in the inbetween on these new volumes. Also Crest/Banner thread?

Is this the story where the space elve gets what she deserves?

is that an ayy lmao?

Human, mostly.

Oh nice.

The premise behind this story depressed me so much.

MC will never get the girl, and even if he does he'll die of old age when she's just entering adulthood.

He's too much of a bitch to just do it and be happy because he keeps telling himself, "muh lifespan".

gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=178073

You can do it Lafiel!

Will we get another anime adaptation? I know it's unlikely, but still...

> MC will never get the girl

They basically confess their love to one another at the end of Crests (though Jinto distances himself from her because muh lifespan), their relationship develops in Banners I and II, and by Banners III, they're very, very clearly dating, or at least the Ahb equivalent.

But yeah, the fact that Lafiel will live twice as long as the protagonist while being eternally a flawless 20-year-old is a fucking depressing thought.

I was disappointed to learn that Lafiel did not in fact have such pale skin.

I doubt we'll get another adaptation, we should just be happy that it ended off with them having their budding relationship in Banner III OVA. It was cute.

Banner III was fucking great.

Lafiel a cute

I couldn't tell if Lafiel was jealous, or if she just wanted in on the plans for her husbando's Royal Harem.

Probably the latter.

I really really wanted just like, one episode in Banners, maybe even just 20 minutes in Banners III with Lafiel and Jinto going on a d-d-deito on his homeplanet or something.

Seriously, there were like a gajillion episodes in concession of gigantic ass battles in Banners, I totally felt like they needed more down time.

>you will never impregnate Lafiel

I feel you, just keep her in your heart user, that's all we can really do.

> just keep her in your heart user

But you don't understand, I just finished the series and I'm sitting here sobbing that I'll never get to see the ending, or any sort of capstone to their relationship.

Their relationship was so sweet, but developed substantially, the animation was solid, there wasn't any filler, the writing was good, and there were no characters that made you feel like yelling at the screen for them to stop being massive idiots.

Seriously, I'll take a 10 minute SoL spinoff. I just want more damnit.

What the heck am I supposed to do with myself? I'm a total wreck.

Learn Japanese and start reading the novels.

That's the only choice you have, really.

I felt the same way when I finished watching it too, but there are only a few us that still care about our space elves.

I 100% guarantee that if crest/banner were to be made today Sup Forums would shit all over it and ruin everything.

I guarantee it.

So, it's a good thing no one remembers it.

I remember seeing a screen cap of people joking about the amount of time that people said mines in Banner

Because the majority of Banner was just space combat and 95% of the time it was dialogue about their mines or enemy mines

Fuck Space Nazi Elves.

RACE WAR NOW!

Its been a while since I've watched this, but isn't that what's happening in the various series?

I remember an Sup Forumsnon once calling the show "space elf C-SPAN." An apt comparison, I thought.
But in all seriousness, I think its clear that there are enough people with patrician taste, even on Sup Forums, to appreciate it.

> it's a good thing no one remembers it.

Pretty much. Why is it such a niche series that generates so little discussion? Like, I'm fairly sure in the decade I've browsed this site I've only seen like, two Banners threads other than this one, and that includes when III was released.

After watching it, the only complaint I had is that the battles (necessarily) went on a bit too long, and I feel that it was part of the reason why the author stopped working on it. I feel like he wanted the battles to feel realistic, while making it seem like far more than ships shooting at each other with no thought by showcasing the Ahb commanders. However, as a result, every fight HAD to drag since what everyone is doing has to constantly be explored. At the same time, I think he rightfully felt that if he didn't do that, it wouldn't feel like an authentic space opera, so, despite not wanting to write more battles, he basically had to.

I feel like that's why he went with the prison planet plot with relatively little fighting, and had Lafiel go on a subsequent leave of absence - he was sick of all the combat and wanted to let the characters actually be themselves outside of a military setting. I'm guessing he just didn't know where to take the story after that, or how to have Lafiel ascend to queenhood without writing more autistically detailed ship battles, or to have Lafiel and Jinto have more direct planetary interactions/adventures like in Crests of the Stars, without making the characters act outright retarded for letting two members of royalty wander off on their lonesome. He also sort of wrote himself into a corner where the Ahb basically were wrecking shit with little remaining opposition.

That's my feeling anyway. He started writing again, but the last novel was three years ago...

Human federation vs Abh

Abh just want to conquer/unite the galaxy under their rule, but don't give a shit about the internal affairs on planets, they can run their governments how ever they want as long as they accept that they are under abh rule.

Human federation is bonkers and they fuck up things more than they can fix them, also extremists? from what I remember.

Downside for Abh is that abh won't let you have your own spaceships and you can only rent/borrow ships from abh government with their permission.

You can do whatever you want on your planet but abh control space and don't want people fucking about in it. Thereby preventing space piracy, terrorism, and possibility of rebellion since no spacehips = abh can destroy you from orbit if you rebel.

Doesn't really matter. At the rate he's writing Morioka is going to die before he finishes anyway.

Reminder that all space elves should go to the gas chambers.

> Conquer planets without taking into account their feelings or situations in the slightest.
> Control them by limiting access to spaceflight and trade.
> Wonder why the based Mankind United front has such a following.

Why? Because they want to unite the universe under one banner and accomplish galactic peace through absolute control?

If you ask me Mankind United is really short-sighted in their views. Even if they manage to push the Abh out and establish their own territories they'd have to do the same thing if they want to establish order.

The Abh are just elves IN SPACE, right down to them being the designated good guys despite all the sketchy and totally understandable reasons to rally against them.

IIRC the Human Federation's problem was too much infighting to muster together something that's more than a pain in the ass to the Abh Empire because of course that happens.

I was against them the moment they told the main character's planet that they either fold into the Empire or get their space-gate destroyed. At least, I think that's their policy and the bomb-you-from-orbit thing is when there's an active rebellion after being induced into their bullshit.

To be fair, the Abh are a race of total autists and can't understand why using absoute force might possibly be a bad thing.

I mean, Lafiel in Banners II was 100% serious about bombing the prison planet to smithereens until Jinto scolded her for it.

Fucking race traitor MC, this series makes me rage hard. Fuck those tyrannical space elves and their lapdog humans.

I started Banner but haven't seen in a while. Often thinking about continuing but don't end up doing it. I really liked Crest.

Also
>lafiel
>jinto
triggering to be honest. The first season made me used to the REAL names, and not these fake localized names. Their names are supposed to be LAMHIRH and GHINTEC

It hardly matters.

There's no real struggle in any of this shit: the Abh are always going to win. It's a rather boring story and unless you're here to watch the main try to get Lafiel, it's got no real draw IMO.

It's another one of those series where I think waifus (in this case, Space Elf Waifus) are the only reason it's liked much at all.

>they semi-retire, grow their rose planet, make like 10 kids, Jinto dies happy watching over his grandchildren, Lafiel ascends to the throne and is motivated by her peaceful marriage to end the war at a stalemate

my headcanon feels nice

to be fair, talk shit get hit - and the human nations just keep talking shit and trying to start shit to dump their societal and economic problems onto the Abh

the Abh are going to win the long game because the series tries to be realistic about space warfare when the setting allows it - and if space warfare ever becomes a reality, it will be brutally dark, cold, unmerciful, and pure arithmetic

partly the reason why I still like the STRAIN mecha ova, even though most people generally dismiss it as >muh ded lolis

You should, but also mines.

>the Abh are going to win the long game
No, they were going to win because as far as the writer's concerned, they're the good guys. Any and all underhanded, cold-blooded actions are handwaved.

Honestly, that's probably why I don't give a shit about the series: in any other setting they'd be the villains out right or a third/fourth faction the rest utterly detest having to deal with.

I just don't find it fun to follow them, but the story exists because of them, and of course will favor them.

>muh heroes
>muh villains

Its pure politics. Abh annex systems wholesale because they need to enforce territorial sovereignty as a strategic necessity of the state. The human factions invade the Abh to generate a war economy and create internal unity while eliminating factional dissent. The only plain evil is rampant racism and bigotry; and those are simply byproducts of war and nationalism in this setting.

No, the Abh are going to win because all they have to do is turtle on their space lanes and spam automated mines while the humans try to bumrush everything like its a goddamn video game.

Why bother with the conflict if the victor's already decided anyways?

Why not just have this take place after any and all hopes of rebellion were stripped away so it can focus on the stronger part: interspecies romance?

It's all Abh wankery either way, might be easier to ignore their bullshit when they're not at wartime.

When they do shit like regulate who even gets a spaceship, I don't expect MU to really mount an effective resistance without it.

Point is, the writer expects me to sympathize with and root for the Abh and I never would. You present a story like this and I root for the underdog, which is most certainly humanity. Hell I doubt anyone in MU really gets characterized. Story just ain't for me, it's for the people who can, even if it's as simple as wanting Abh pussy.

Just because the story praises them doesn't mean you need to. I was watching and enjoying it obviously seeing some of the shit they were doing was douchey. I don't need the show to tell me what's right and wrong. Just observe the show and don't be a fucking sheeple.

The very first thing the Abh did in the series was absolutely douchey. You can't just warp into a system and say "it looks like you don't have the means to defend yourselves, so that means you're our bitches now." Its indefensible on grounds of morality alone. Nevermind how much bullshit Jinto had to put up with constantly.

>he'll die of old age when she's just entering adulthood.

Where's the downside?

He doesn't live twice as long and gets to enjoy that teen pussy even longer?

Why moidern LN is so shit?
>iskeai, battleharem, isekai
Where is space opera?

Death and not really having a heir.

The downside is she'll most likely remain a widow. Or maybe she'll marry her cat because she finds it funny.

> all they have to do is turtle on their space lanes and spam automated mines

Except the humans were the ones who started using this strategy first by building far more patrol ships instead of some of their somewhat useless, but necessary, assault ships.

Remember like, two episodes of Banners II dedicated to shooting down ten gajillion mines with the commander talking about how useless the assault ships are as anything but a cushion for the rest of their forces, and how they'd vastly prefer a patrol ship heavy composition?

Also, in case you didn't read the newest novel, the Abh capital was wiped the fuck out by a surprise attack, so not even.

I doubt the Abh will win, and I highly doubt that humanity will either, given the main romance.

It's not even Abh wankery. Yes, you see shit from the Abh perspective, but they highlight that they're a fundamentally flawed race, in perspective, position, sociality, lack of empathy, and in a multitude of other senses, all shown through especially Laffiel, and the other characters.

Heck, Jinto keeps saying that he doesn't even know what side he's on, but he just wants to be with his autistic waifu Lafiel and will do anything to that end. The anime doesn't take sides in telling the viewer who is just or correct, it just shows the events from one particular side while offering solid rationale for the war.

frogposter detected

user, when I'm not having fun with a game I just choose to go play another, especially when the core gameplay irks me enough to turn me off the rest of the game entirely.

When there's tons more anime to watch, there's no reason to sit through a decently put together show that follows a cast you utterly hate. I could find a show with a cast I like but a really shitty setting and poor overall writing and make fun of that. I could find a genuinely good show with likable protagonists. Crest/Banner of the Stars is going to be the same thing it always was if it does get any more installments, which is fine on its own, just not a show I'd waste my time on. I got enough off of what I can barely remember from Crest of the Stars airing on TechTV.

Why should I have to sit through a show I know I won't enjoy? I already went down that route before; all it resulted in is honestly wishing death on its fanbase.

Even if you're going to argue that you're building your anime pedigree so you can spout some bullshit about how you're an 500+ anime connoisseur that only proves your willingness to watch something because it's anime, and nothing more.

Didn't he die?

You're forgetting that Abh stay eternally 20, they just sleep longer and longer as they age until they finally sleep eternally and die.

Jinto will be enjoying that sweet sweet flawless pussy when he's in his 60s. Just like my chinese doujinshi.

Also:
> Implying the Abh can't fuck with your genes while you're still alive so that you can live substantially longer.

I'm guessing it just doesn't happen because basically no one ever ascends to fucking royalty as a mere human pleb. Jinto is a weird exception.

I mean, if Immortal-kun from Crests was a product of human genetic experimentation, it really isn't a stretch to say that the Abh can give the Jinto the same treatment if he marries Lafiel and live until he's 150 or something, so she doesn't have to stay a widow for as long.

The real issues of the Abh are that they are at an industrial disadvantage, their military hierarchy is rigid to an unhealthy degree, and they are generally too complacent and arrogant. Abh officers too realized the flaws of their military strategems, but the establishment did not act on those truths until after the fact. In comparison, the human factions are constantly evolving.

The loss of the Abh capital is a huge blow to morale - but in terms of space warfare, the effects of taking out a capital planet largely depends on the empire's dependency to it. The Abh were originally a space faring people after all, so the Abh Empire would adapt well to moving to a capital fleet instead of being based out of any central point in space. This assumes that the Abh maintain their characteristic absolute loyalty and patriotism to the current regime, instead of the empire devolving into a war of the five kingdoms scenario.

In the Banners setting, that might have actually been the absolute worst thing to do as well. Basically, it would remove all hesitation from the victimized on whether or not to completely annihilate planets. All human worlds are now at risk of sudden apocalyptic reprisals, and the human factions must now commit themselves to wholesale genocide.

And that shit is gonna get expensive.

Jinto wouldn't want to live forever, anyway. He has no greater ambitions beyond his love for Lafiel.

Who blow up Abh capital and how?

Spending more time with his love seems like a pretty important reason for living longer.

It really depends on what Lafiel would ask of him. If she asked him to live longer if the means were available, he would.

> the effects of taking out a capital planet largely depends on the empire's dependency to it.

It's not a capital planet, it's a gathering of artificial worlds, mostly revolving around an old city-ship. Remember Crests? They mentioned it. The Ahb might have made space their home, but that doesn't mean they don't have a home in space. They're dependent on it, since a significant amount of their reliable production and logistics capacity is located there. Fuel is little issue, however, since most of that stuff is generated uniformly throughout their territory, for obvious reasons.

Remember the neutral Hania fags that had like, 30 seconds of screentime? They join the Abh empire willingly in VI, but not unanimously. Through Hania space, and with the help from sympathetic elements in their military, the triumvirate ganks Lakfakalle while their fleet is dispatched too far away to mount any sort of defense.

Empress tries to stall for time with a paltry few ships so that the evacuation of their people, shipyards and other crucial production facilities can proceed, gets blown up heroically.

The Ahb generally have always been in a precarious spot. Very few planets are truly loyal to them, and they have to spread their forces thin to merely maintain their territories. Meanwhile, the triumvirate doesn't need to.

I'm guessing that in the next novel, their house of cards is going to start falling down now that they've shown weakness, lost a significant amount of production, and some of their fleets are on basically a forced retreat. Humanities' big advantage from the start was a great production capacity due to having a much larger loyal population, production, and the ingenuity/willingness to try entirely different tactical options. The Ahb just has fancy technology (that isn't applied well because no one gives a fuck what the commanders say), better officers and soldiers. They're ridiculously fucked.

all i remember from this show is rape prison island

Wow, a Seikai thread

> That lewd, slutty drug-addicted girl at the very end of Banners II.

Having such a sultry character in an otherwise very modest show should be illegal.

Seems like someone picked up the manga. I sent them the tank scans, so we'll see.

Pussy.

>Hania

Damn neutrals.

What was her name again?

Boku.

If you don't support the Abh as the natural step forward in human civilization, you should probably walk into a wormhole mine.

I always love seeing these anti-immigration/integration tidbits in Japanese fiction lately.

Abh stand a chance in the long game, since the humans are currently united around a focused anti-Abh campaign. Once that loses step, the humans could end up fighting among themselves like before - which gives the Abh a chance to come back. The humans can also only stomach so many losses in manpower before suffering political blowback - unless theres a twist later down the line that the humans end up cloning or creating a 2nd slave Abh caste to fight the war. Then there's basically no happy ending for the Abh.

If you watched the uncut version of the OVA (the 2-parter, not the single file TV version floating out there) then you should know he as good as GOT the girl, as far as you can "get" a space elf princess coming from a race with a tradition of growing their offspring externally, after careful genetic manipulation on the artificially inseminated egg.

This is doubly obvious if you watch Jinto and Lafiel interact throughout that OVA keeping in mind the other, super old ova, starring Lafiel's parents on a rather similiar trip.

Spoil me. Is it true that the Empress is dead, and it's mentioned in narration that the Abh eventually lose the war?

UM a shit. Abh is less shit but still also shit.

PSUOP master race.

that doesn't happen right ?

From everything I've heard, the Crest/Banner books are a solid step up in reading difficulty compared to your standard Light Novel.

hilarious

"I will become his world...and will make him my world.

>I know it's unlikely, but still
With all the older stuffs that are getting a new adaptation or a sequel recently, I wouldn't be surprised if banner of the stars gets one too.

see Yes she's dead, Neutral party helped human forces gank the Abh capital. The Abh havent lost the war yet but they are in a fucking terrible position and unless something significant changes their late-game prospects for the war aren't great.

>couldn't tell if Lafiel was jealous
Remember in one of the banners, the way she stringed him up after catching him innocently chatting with Ekriel?

She eventually said it straight to his face, see pic related.

She's not seriously jealous - that would indicate distrust or doubts, and if anything, the entire series shows there's none. That's why its so comfy.

But she definitely enjoys toying with his - usually unjustified - sense of guilt, and watching him squirm.

Jinto a best husbando.

It's certainly something to hope for.
I hope space Operas come back into fashion if nothing else. Too much anime is space is all mecha these days.

That's definitely true for a few reasons, not least of which being how many words the author invents (though it makes sense in the context of the story).

You could always read some Morioka's other stuff though. It's pretty good, and not too hard.

Saw it, thanks. Glad to know the war isn't a foregone conclusion. Hopefully Morioka is gonna update within the next decade,

Errm.

You finished the series?

Did you watch the "Birth" ova?

Did you watch the full, uncut, 2-part version of BotS3?

If you did not, you haven't watched the series, really. You're missing the two parts that actually give you the closure.

Not to mention that you missed all the Jinto+Lafiel SoL parts in BotS3.

Oh, thanks for reminding about this OP. I started watching it some time ago and put it on hold during the prison shit which was especially boring.

they really were looking for this anyway for being stupid even though they were supposed to be in a "higher plane". Not handling their invaded planet is the same as going out pants down.

Not really.
Do rewatch Lafiel's dad's coquest speech.
Abh consider dealing with landers on the same order of 'pleasure' as dealing with cockroaches.
Unfortunately for them, gates and planar space exist, and landers taking their territorial squabbles into space always ends in war.
Being as rational as the abh are, they simply believe that controlling the space starting with high orbitals, is the simplest and most humane way of guaranteeing them their freedom to travel in peace. Note that many actual landers agree - see Samson. If you want to travel the stars that badly, signing up with the Abh isn't so bad, really.
I like the "but muh FREEDUM" vs "reason" setup, by the way.

Errm, you may have missed the fact that the orbital bombardment crap the granny carried in Crest was 1) propaganda 2) complete bullshit.
The series makes it painfully obvious that without access to high orbitals, it's just bloody impossible to build anything on the surface that would seriously threaten, or even scratch a paint on orbiting warships larger than unarmed shuttle.
Just watch the conclusion to BotS3 and the fate of HUEG land-based LAZORS on Jinto's homeworld.
At the same time, BotS1 makes it fairly clear that once high orbitals are secured, Abh just leave the surface dwellers be. And since very few worlds are able to develop in total isolation, much less keep their economies going without the interstellar trade to other worlds, sooner or later most of them cave in and work out some sort of agreement with the Abh.

You do know Jinto told her to say that in HIS language.
She thought she was just saying Hello.

I did indeed.

Reminder that the space elves are fucking retarded and are by no means good.

No one is correct in this series.

That's one of the better parts of it.

Yes, I know, but their above it all pompous attitude pisses me off.

>Aim to monopolize a gateway to another galaxy

>Conquer anyone along the way

>'It's for the best of mankind!'

Fuck them. If only the humans weren't retarded too.

>I mean, Lafiel in Banners II was 100% serious about bombing the prison planet to smithereens

Well, yup - that's why I can't understand for the life of me WHY so many morons insist Jinto never got the girl, or some such nonsense.

Now compare livid, genocidal Abriel to the lengthy discussions a certain Spoor had with a lander official in Banner1 regarding what the Abh will and will not do to his world.

It was rather obvious to everyone that Lafiel was FUCKING PISSED INSANE about someone daring to touch her husbando. And from the beginning, it was also made clear that pissing off one of the Abriels is the shortest path to get your ass, your family and your entire planet genocide'd out of existence.

You. Don't. Stand. Between. An Abriel. And her Husbando.

A touching aspect was, the BotS2 story was also where Lafiel herself realized just how and where Jinto fits in her life.

Also point of note - certain Spoor had seen through it all, "abriels do not cry" and all. Watch around timestamp of pic related if you need your memory refreshed.

I'd like there to be some kind of resurgence for this series that sparks western interest again.
Mostly so that someone else can take a crack at translating novels again. The existing official English translations are less than ideal.

The problem is, the Abh are where they are because they were sticking to their principles - merely controlling space and Sords.

The attack on the capital may hurt, but it may only be a matter of time when they change the strategy too: space is effing big, and actually defending a world from getting utterly devastated is much, much harder than slipping in, say, a kinetic strike that will devastate the planet.

In that sense, the war may be not decided as it was fought so far, but since 'humanity' and the others are fiercely territorial, they are fighting a completely lost cause against nomadic race like the Abh.

How about an user wins lottery, and funds a complete remake by Ufotable?