Hajime no Ippo discussion

Ippo 1151 is now out on mangastream.

Chapter 1151:
Takamura brings up the fact that he does not want Ippo to get up Kamogawa's hopes only to fuck it up, because he believes that Ippo does not have what it takes to be a world champ. Ippo does not get it, and just say that he'll "try his best". Ippo is training after this conversation, thinking about what Takamura meant. He still cannot cross the line in the sand.
At the end of the chapter, Ippo spars against the world #10 in the Jr. Featherweight class (one below Ippo). Ippo is ranked #10 himself. Ippo gets floored after a few jabs.

Chapter 1152 (I'm doing these with help of google translate)
Everybody wonders why Ippo was not even an opponent to a Jr. Featherweight. Was Ippo not mentally prepared for it? No, that does not seem to be the case. Ippo (and Itagaki) think that it might have been the head armor that they used in the spars - Ippo thinks that he could not see properly because of it, and therefore fucked up his timing for the new dempsey.
Takamura disagrees, and says "he's broken. I thought Ippo only had problems in the mental aspect, and that it was something that he could overcome. But no, even apart from that, he has a problem with his body. Even before, he couldn't see Aoki's frog punch... he has problems with his sight. Either he has issues with his eyes, or with his brain."
Kamogawa thinks the same to himself, and the possibility of Ippo being punch drunk is first brought up. Kamogawa seems to blame himself for this, apologizing to Ippo in his monologue - he says that even if Ippo is a tough guy, he worried in the early days that Ippo will fuck his shit up if he gets punched so much. But he stopped worrying because Ippo was so tough, and seemingly unfazed... but Ippo is only human.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zq-XMDTyGHE
youtube.com/watch?v=7FgS3kCv79I
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Chapter 1153
Kamogawa tells Yagi that Ippo might be punch drunk, and that he will force him to end his career if he is. punch drunkness can manifest in different ways, but it is something that canl deteriorate his sight. Kamogawa says that its not confirmed at this point, but that things look grim for Ippo. Yagi is shocked and says that Ippo always came back with his turnaround victories, and that he got punched a lot, and that that might have been costly.
Ippo, sitting at home, tries to draw a straight vertical line. He cant keep a straight line. He's startled by this, and wonder if these are remaining effects of the Gonzales fight. The next day, Ippo goes to Kamogawa to talk to him and Yagi, and he tells him that he has difficulties buttoning up his shirt, that his fingers tremble, that he has troubles walking straight, that he suddenly becomes sleepy from time to time, and that his memory is unreliable, and asks him if those are signs of being punch drunk

Soo, lets discuss this. how fucked is ippo?

>ippo

Well he sure is going to die after he gets the title. Of course might turn into nothing.

Pretty much. But I see this as a building up for him to walk across that Takamura's line.

How? You can't just ignore dementia pugilistica.

The oxygen finally went to his brain.

You can if you say fuck it all and go for broke.

My read for 1153 is that he was asked those criteria said he wasn't experiencing any, and was given a pen to draw a line at the end as a test.

top fugging kek

Brain damage you say?

Better go improve his offense some more.

>Hey, sorry Ippo, I told you from Day 1. to get hit with your head instead of teaching you proper boxing
>My bad

Kamogawa is a fucking criminal, Ippo was a fucking sponge in the early days, able to learn everything pretty convincingly. Fuck him.

Funny thing is Kamogawa was warned multiple times.

It's gonna be nothing just like Takamura's eye was nothing.

You do realize Takamura is based on a real life boxer right? A boxer who, had the exact same results relatively, and lost the very next match?

it was only 1 time and it was a thing to not get hit by the full force of the punch

>was nothing

if you think being 100% blind in 1 eye is nothing then ok. A boxer being half blind means death.

It's gonna be too unbelievable even for this manga.

To be fair, Ippo's whole boxing style is a recipe for Parkinson's. There's a reason nobody inboxes in real life any more.

true

>Ippos blindness finally being brought up again after a year
Jesus Christ finally

Indeed. Death is a cure-all.

Well there really isn't out of this without asspulls. Ippo always said he wanted to help his "family" after his boxing career, and this is the last point to do so before you just cripple yourself.

There has been 0 indication that Ippo would want that.

these chapters have been clearly indicating that although he is clinging onto his childish idea of treating boxing as a hobby and that he wants to or has to be there for his mother and the business, he still wants to pour his effort into boxing and do his best

its leading up to him crossing the line and throwing away his naivety

Wonder when Takamuras eye issues are going to be brought up again, or if it actually was a red herring all along?

They do but not like that. They pick and choose when to go in rather then charge while tanking punches.

>1151
Fuck, I need to catch up

New Ippo anime when

I remember

Manga should end with Ippo giving up his boxing career and becoming an activist for better awareness of punch drunk.

too much blushing and dick jokes to believe that's the ride that was intended :S

Oh, don't make this end like Ashita no Joe. There's only many tears i can let out.

youtube.com/watch?v=zq-XMDTyGHE

So does that mean the manga is over?
Ippo can't fight Punch Drunk, especially on the world stage, it'd be suicide.

>that one fight with Scratch J where the coach basically tells him to get hit by full swings because that's all he can do

Hopefully this develops into Ippo deciding it's time he stops getting hit in the fucking face and learning to dodge instead.
Ippo is meant to be like Tyson, and it wasn't how hard he hit that made Tyson so great (though it certainly didn't hurt).

ayy

jesus christ, that's absolutely sick.

didnt know that tyson was such a beast.

RIP Ippo. This is the one thing you can't PUNCH HARDER.

There's a reason he's so famous. He was basically inhumanly good.
youtube.com/watch?v=7FgS3kCv79I

>Ippo has dementia pugilistica
>Takamura still has a detached retina and is going to lose his next fight
>Coach is literally coughing up blood

What is going on

Yamata damashii getting ready
Soon the filthy gaijin will see what it means when a japanese decides to become a monster

Nah, it means he's gotta try again because clearly he wasn't tanking punches to the face properly.

I dropped Ippo after the Woli shit.

So after a thousand chapters of Ippo punching harder and having more oxygen he's suddenly worse than everyone?

Problem is ippo isnt tyson, tyson was a fucking god

Gotta keep it running for the people who still buy it.

He could have been if his trainer didn't let him keep fighting when he clearly had concussions.

Kamogawa is a shit teacher when it comes to proper boxing theory past the basics.

He has the workout schedule right (shit-tons of roadwork) and training muscle memory and keeping a tight guard for inboxing but every single bit of that "use your samurai guts!!!" shit is bad.

Something like 80%+ of all pro boxers who have a reasonably long career end with brain injuries. This is because boxing is way harder on you than MMA.

I'm not knocking MMA though- this is because boxing is well, a punchsport. You can't kick, you can't end with submissions, you don't go to the ground. You literally stand upright and punch eachother in the head and body until someone physically can't stand anymore. You take dozens more headshots in a boxing match compared to an MMA bout- and due to the ancient fuckheaded 10-count it's REALLY bad. You can in fact, pop right back up to your feet and take a fighting stance while basically unconscious.

Ippo is patterned after Mike Tyson but Mike was insanely fast and didn't actually get hit a lot. He slipped and weaved like people half his size and had insane hand-speed. Ippo just trades punches and because he's built like a brick shithouse he wins in exchanges.

If you don't read the manga then fuck off, don't come to threads to ask what happens in the series because you dropped it.

To be fair they do intend Ippo to be fast and good at dodging from time to time (he's called the Wind God for a reason), it's just that the author has to make literally 90% of his enemies insanely skilled godmode boxers who wreck his shit just so he can pull his ebin wow so exciting comeback routine at the end.

Nevertheless you have to keep in mind he was actually able to successfully dodge Gonzales' jabs after getting used to it.

the manga is either ending or reaching a turnaround point

He's not good if every single fighter keeps hitting him in the face.

>t's just that the author has to make literally 90% of his enemies insanely skilled godmode boxers who wreck his shit just so he can pull his ebin wow so exciting comeback routine at the end.
That and Ippo doesn't have the drive to wreck people's shit. So he would rather fight on people's levels.

Exception being the Sawamura/Gonzalez grade fighters. Sawamura basically could have killed the dude.

Hes the "Wind God" because his punches are so strong he makes wing.
If someone is a wind god thats Itagaki.

Ippo really shouldn't get hit that much if he's good enough to be a worldranker.

At this point even without brain damage he doesn't rise up to the class of a "barrier" boxer which is what Gonzales is (and probably pissed about).

A "barrier" boxer is the dudes who're ranked just under the champ- guys who are phenomenally good but just cannot beat the champ for some reason (1 in a million champ, bad match for styles, mental blocks, etc). Basically they're like a hardcore miniboss- where for many up and comers they're harder to beat than the actual champ.

RIP in piss, Ippo

Enjoy Parkinson's

>Ippo's too dumb to understand what Takamura is talking about in 1151
Punches to the head are a helluva drug.

Well, a tragedy revolving around Takamura was always in the cards. He was never going to conquer all the weight classes, or at least, not survive doing it.

His next match, which is hopefully for the super middleweight title. Most of the characters seem to have entered their end game, so Takamura losing his next big fight could happen and Ippo doesn't have many fights left in him.

Kamogawa should force Ippo to retirement desu. That won't happen of course and whatever Morikawa does to keep the story going will be retarded, so I just hope the series will end soon.

I thought he would reach the top and die or break doing it, but now it does seem like he is close to his end. Middleweight was clearly his division and he has conquered it now, so I doubt there is anything for him to win anymore.

I wonder what Mori plans to do with Miyata though.

>I wonder what Mori plans to do with Miyata though.

Gift him the featherweight WBC title and have him retire, since said world champion is still nameless/faceless and this series is set during a time when the Japanese fighters don't compete in the WBO or IBF.

Yeah, I doubt we will see another Ippo/Miyata match and his storyline is pretty much completed anyway. Sendo is still there to be Ippo's last rival and he has two matches left in him, so I guess the series is really ending soon.

Too bad the upcoming fights will most likely be shit.

Remember when Ippo had that match with a skilled outboxer and just completely shut him down without the guy being able to do anything?

That was fucking great, but noooooo. Can't have ippo be good. Can't have ippo stop being a faggot in the ring or with kumi because fuck character development.

That was the last good Ippo match, and even the Karasawa dude was ruined when Itagaki wrecked him even faster than Ippo did. Itagaki was the worst mistake Morikawa ever made with this series

Itagaki made for some great comedy but when they made him a fucking timestopper it was over for him.

*Which is also why his beatdown by Imai was the most satisfying thing in the entire manga.

>Hes the "Wind God" because his punches are so strong he makes wing.

No you idiot, he's the wind god because his punches are strong AND shot in rapid succession, like a hurricane. That's why Miyata mentions he never uses his full power when punching, because they're always part of a combo.

Miyata's full power is shit.

That entire bout was orgasmic. Even better is that you cant even fault itagaki for the loss, he stayed calm and collected the entire time and fought perfectly, there was just nothing that was going to stop Imai from pushing itagaki's shit in.

It was great, but they are going to have their third match and I doubt it will be any good. They both are clearly above the national level, but they seem to be stuck with the JBC title scene for the rest of the manga

That doesnt really matter when you can pull a lightning fast counter out of your ass with shattered ribs and the other guy taking your absolute best like it was nothing.

Dear god that ending made me mad and the entire pacific challenge that came as a result was shit. Its should have been ippo vs randy boy. Ippo legit wanted to beat the shit out of him too.

>miyatas weakness is supposedly his lack of stamina

Most likely unfortunately. Tgey teased itagaki going after miyata a while back but at this point its not happening. And the only reason itagaki won the first match is because imai held him up.

Wait Ippo skipped amateurs and most of his fights ended quickly, how is he already punch drunk? What about Aoki who's pretty shitty or Vorg with his 400 amateur fights how come they're fine while Ippo isn't.

Dont forget his glass chin
And his mosquito bite punches

Miyata got an author's saving throw against randy and i dont know why people try to suggest otherwise

They weren't getting punched as hard as him i guess.

I guess it's because Aoki actually gets knocked down pretty easy, whereas Ippo's YAMATO DAMASHII and COACH'S BURNING HANDSLAP just keeps him propped up, not falling and still taking knockout damage.

IPPO'S full power you fucking retard

First of all Vorg is a fucking beast and was always the best out of all the featherweights bar ricardo.

Secondly ippo keeps getting hit with huge counter punches. His match against sawamura is a big example, and he took kojima's for pretty much no reason. sparring sendo right before facing gonzalez probably didnt do him any favors either.

Yes, I'm saying the "full power" miyata doesn't use is shit anyway.

Ironically enough, both Aoki and Vorg don't get hit easily by counters.

Vorg is a genius outboxer as well.

Ippo isnt supposed to be using his full power anyway because his punches are supposed to be quick and compact, and he hits damn hard inspite of that. His compact punches now are probably equivalent to his full swing punches from when he was a rookie as hes gotten alot stronger since then. He has more punching power than sendo even.

Kojima is probably the only time we'll ever see ippo use his full strength, and that should have killed kojima.

"Submarine fight" with that Brock Lesnar Fisherman dude.

Sawamura fight where he headbutted counter punches.

Sendo. Twice.

The Truck-punch to shittalker. Got countered.

Gonzales.

Woli and his magic monkey punches.

He got wrecked by people who are superhuman. And since he yamato damashi'd he got hit way harder and far too many times.

Even when vorg was forced to infight in japan, a style that isnt his best he pretty much shat on everyone, and only lost to ippo because all his matches were so short that he lacked stamina. Vorg is both well rounded and all around terrifying. Theres a reason why the only reason vorg was able to get a world title match was it had to be short notice so that he couldnt properly condition himself because he was so dominant.

To be fair headbuttong those counter punches is better than taking them full on.

Doesn't that makes you wish boxing had something that would enable boxers to not get hit by punches? Oh, wait.

He tried but sawamura was really accurate and at the time a monster who was built as a hard counter to ippo.

It's a shame that Sawamura was written out of the story, at least as a boxer. The guy was an absolute monster who got the best out of Ippo, and Ippo should have lost that fight. His fight with Mashiba was fun though, and his appearances have been fun afterwards.

>chapter 1151
I think you made a mistake user

Isn't Ippo in his mid twenties already? And he's still a virgin? How pathetic can you get?

It was pretty great having commentate on miyata vs randy

thanks user I needed that

Dick's too big to fit

I think it partially was because actually was too strong against some boxers. He already pretty much mopped the floor with any inboxer, and that was before he became fully serious about boxing.

Aoki is a way lower ranked boxer than Ippo and Vorg's amateur fights used headgear

Despite everyone getting butthurt because Ippo lost, the fight with Gonzales was actually god tier

Sawamura would have impeded anyone short of vorg from progressing no matter where he went.