Have we reached peak anime quality?

I've read that the original hand drawings for anime are produced at 800p or lower and then upscaled to 1080p.

If that's true, will we never see 4K anime?

Other urls found in this thread:

ultimatemegax.wordpress.com/2015/04/24/photography-and-resolution-of-anime/
animeanime.jp/article/2015/11/23/25803.html
twitter.com/ryo_timo/status/756918854236852224
youtube.com/watch?v=26VLsCwsLIU
youtube.com/watch?v=wTpCLg3AksU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>hand drawings for anime are produced at 800p
Is this a new version of "the human eye can only see 30 fps"?

It's what I read, the paper they draw on is only so large.

It has nothing to do with the viewer's perception.

Paper doesn't have pixels.
Am I being trolled?

The paper is scanned and though production converted into the various resolutions.

You can only extract so much resolution/detail from a scan.

Do you think they're drawing anime on post stamps?

Do you have any idea how many pixels you can get out of a few inches of real paper?

Shinkai's movies are true HD.

Wasn't Gundam Thunderbolt 4k?

There has been an article about this
ultimatemegax.wordpress.com/2015/04/24/photography-and-resolution-of-anime/

Basically 4K is still pretty far away. We might get full 1080p anime in a year or two.

Yes, it's the first series being made in 4k but no one seems to care in Sup Forums.

animeanime.jp/article/2015/11/23/25803.html

>Basically 4K is still pretty far away.

Pretty sure there have been some 1080p anime already, like the Nyaruko BDs.

I read that apparently, it's only the OP that are 1080, while the rest is still below that number.

Most of the info you get on the internet is outdated.
This is a very young technology, advancements are fast.

>Have we reached peak anime quality?

yes we have. It will only go downhill from now on.

Are they eating in a church?

Are they refugees?

I don't know, that bald loser said once that they were full 1080p.

There was a chart for paper size vs standard scan resolution somewhere.
I'm trying to find it.

They are on a ship or something. it looks like a ms paint doodle so we cannot be sure.

What killed the Thunderbolt discussion on Sup Forums was mostly no good subs for it.
The fact that it was an anime with a 4k resolution did make some minor splash at the beginning.

But if no other anime shows can within the next few years attempt to replicate that feat without being powerhouse Sunrise who can also only keep it up for four episodes, then people will quickly forget about it.
Especially since as a Gundam show, the discussion quickly turned into another shitflinging contest about which Gundam sucks more and has worstestest TV-ratings.

You just know that was really rushed when the poor animator has to draw in the tables and chair himself rather than leaving that to the background art department.

Plenty anime are made at resolutions above 800p.

Pic related is just this season alone.

>kyoani will never do a complete re-draw of hyouka in 4k just to show off

;_;

What about the resolution for digital drawings? Can they easily upscale to 4K?

stop pretending u know shit cuz u dont

fuck off

Holy shit is that Qualidea Code? I didn't know it was that bad.

Stop typing like a retard.

QUALITY reached its peak that day.

Those anime that Netflix are doing will probably be 4K.

Their autistic corrections for the Hyouka BD made it sell 10k more

Official subs are bad?

DRAWINGS DON'T FUCKING WORK LIKE THAT

>official means good
Do you consider funi subs to be good?
Really?
Hardsubs that sometimes cover half the screen?

WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY

no, i'll type how i want to

stop getting riled up over how people type on the internet u fucking autist

I thought daisuki subbed it, I still didn't watch it.

I wasn't talking about the Gundam show. I have no idea whose subs I watched. It's been too long and now it's stored on an HD that I only turn on once a month.

I was making a point in general.

almost no anime (TV series at least) is done or broadcasted in 1080p. Not to mention 4k.

>1600x900(px)を撮影さん利用されたりするそうです。用紙を160dpiでスキャンすればほぼ等倍の画像が手に入る。ふむふむ。仕上げさん的には144dpiや200dpiが定番、作画を200dpiでFullHD以上の画質です。どこがアベレージ?かのう・・・。
twitter.com/ryo_timo/status/756918854236852224

>Their autistic corrections for the Hyouka BD
Still my favorite KyoAni moment.
youtube.com/watch?v=26VLsCwsLIU

depends. but most of the time intermediate for coloring\post work is 720p raster. Raw drawings can be almost anything you want - some animators draw traditionally and then scanning, some give digital. Bahi JD works in flash, for example and give them essentially vectors that you can upscale how the fuck you want

Would 4k really make a worthwhile difference?
Ignoring absurdly detailed backgrounds that I would welcome.

learn how to type you fucking nigger.

>Would 4k really make a worthwhile difference?
No.
4k is a stupid meme.

Sure, you can now enjoy QUALITY in 4K.

4K is a stupid meme but it would be nice to have 1080p.

QUALITY will be a thing of the past when anime is made entirely of CGI and with AI assistance.

Man, thats absolutely next level OCD/autismo dedication absolutely lovely

>The human eye can't even see 4K
Console players found

You know what's funny?
Most of the time we work on resolution much higher than full-HD but the colored frames got resized by the compositing staff to sub-HD because of lol anime standard.

>Most of the time we work on resolution much higher than full-HD but the colored frames got resized
Doing image editing at a greater resolution than the final product makes sense.
I don't see the problem.

if we still had cel/film we could easily push resolution if you wanted that

>anime at 99999999999999999999 x 99999999999999999999 pixels

Look at all that proof.

Oh wait, fuck off.

A consumer grade printer with scanner can generate 2400x3400 image from an A4 sheet.

Eh, what? Haven't they learned to use vector drawing software yet? .. which inherently has no resolution and allows you to render shit at an arbitrary resolution?

Sure, there are things that cannot be vector graphics, e.g. photo-realistic background scenery. But scenery is generally drawn at huge resolutions anyway, and gets scaled down to whatever is the video size. Or so it should be. So this shouldn't pose such a problem, either.

CG is all render-able at arbitrary resolutions as well, so long as you have high enough resolution textures. And the average anime doesn't have giant CG robots or creatures, anyway.

I don't think any of this is technically difficult. You just use resolution-independent software and then arbitrarily set the resolution at render time.

>Shading
>Vector drawing software

You gotta be trolling.

What are you talking about? Shading the characters or shading the backgrounds?

If you mean backgrounds, that falls under scenery, which I have addressed. Now if you mean the characters, then shading anime characters has been done in vector graphics since forever. Do you even go to pixiv?

my dad works for anime and he said that theyve been using 4k all this time but just waiting for the consumers to get 4k tv's

Funi and CR made a deal maybe it will mean no more funihardsubs

>he doesn't use GLSL to shade his waifu

The VAST majority of artists use raster software like photoshop and corel.

Or maybe it will mean CR hardsubs.

Why would they downgrade their player?

It's Crunchyfun now.

Or is it FuniCrunch?

Less bandwidth.

with anime they can do 4k a lot easier but i don't think we need 4k for anime there is a different.Unlike film,anime look good even with 720p

>720p? What do you need 480p for? 360p is fine!
kys, 4K is the future.

Subs have nothing to do with bandwidth; the entire subtitle stream isn't even 1 megabyte in size.

Actually, scratch that. The way I understand it, the entire subtitle text file should be downloaded at the beginning (i.e. not streamed), and it's usually extremely tiny in size, in the order of 200 kb.

>retard thinks it's linear
Once you get past 1080p, you'll start to get diminishing returns

On a 1080p screen, which won't be the standard forever.

480p looks good on a phone; 720p on a regular computer screen.

If you have one of those gigantic-ass displays, though, the display will upscale anything that isn't as huge as its native resolution, and the upscaling algorithms are shit.

So people even if there aren't enough details in an anime frame to justify using a huge resolution, we'll still have to accommodate to the number of pixels on a huge display.

>people
is surplus.

>On a 1080p screen
>implying I'm only talking about the video itself
>implying I wasn't also talking about the screens

Regardless of pixel resolution, the dimensions of home displays and the viewing distances will always stay the same and once past 1080p, you'll start to get diminishing returns. Unless you have a movie theater screen, 4k resolution doesn't matter.

No, but that's going to happen when japs learn how to properly use computers.

Should be possible to make scanners that can acquire an even higher resolution.

I don't know how they produce anime exactly but even if the resolution they are scanned at is lower they should still be able to upscale the key frames to 4k which are just edges, and use photoeditor like photoshop to add various effects and colour in 4k.

But subtitles are just yellow. If you can make 2% of your video yellow, then you can save 1% of the file size.

Seriously, what is stopping someone from running a full episode through w2x?

It'll be around 17000 frames (probably way less because of still frames) but anons here have some pretty powerful PCs, they should be able to do it.

But Gothicmade came out 4 years ago.

>but no one seems to care in Sup Forums.

Because it's a Gundam. Make it a yurishit or a isekaishit and you'll have 10 threads a day.

Nah, they're just poorfags that can't buy a 4K display. m-me too ;_;

What the fuck is up with that anyways?

Why is everything related to that so secretive?

>Make it a yurishit or a isekaishit and you'll have 10 threads a day.
Make me a Touhou pls

Then go to the compositing staff and rattle their cages.

Here's peak anime quality

I hate how so much of modern anime has this perpetual white haze filter over everything.

Stop watching garbage.

I hate how so much of old anime has this perpetual grey grain filter over everything.

>white haze filter over everything
It's in like every type of visual media from japan
youtube.com/watch?v=wTpCLg3AksU

What Vector graphic software/animation software do studios like KyoAni most commonly use?

It darkens the frame a bit so they can set white text on it

I think a little bit of this is nice, but here it's a bit too much.

Maybe they kept darkening it because of what -kun said. But they should've figured out that they darkened it too much.