Gantz :O

An aggressively unpleasant all-CG rendering of a bestselling Japanese manga that may scrape by as a supplement to the canon, but fails on every level as a standalone film.

“But that’s what it’s like in the source material!” is a frequently used defense of subpar film adaptations, but here’s hoping Keiichi Sato and Yasushi Kawamura’s computer-generated “Gantz: O” represents a departure from the original “Gantz” comic (written by Hiroya Oku, adapted for screen by Tsutomu Kuroiwa). Otherwise it suggests strongly that all copies of the hugely popular manga should be shot into the sun. The film peddles an incoherent, paper-thin notion of heroism and a regressively gendered vision of an alien-monster-infested Japan, and while it’s possible that superfans might find it an acceptable addition to the canon and embrace its overtly video-game aesthetic, it seems unlikely to find much traction outside of the Japanese gaming/manga community. And those within it should really expect more, too.

The film opens mid-battle, as a young woman in a high-tech form-fitting catsuit cowers behind an overturned car in Tokyo’s Shibuya district. She is being menaced by a giant Orc-like monster — the irreconcilable clash between the fantasy aesthetic of the “Warcraft”-style creatures, the futurist sci-fi of heroes’ suits and weaponry, and the slick, contemporary locations is jarring from the off. The woman is Reika (voiced by Saori Hayami), who serves no narrative purpose except to have unfeasibly shiny, liquid hair and unfeasibly large breasts. Mystifyingly, the women’s combat suits appear to have the tensile strength to stop bullets and save the wearer from being crushed by giant troll-heads, but offer very little in the way of bosom support, resulting in a lot of localized jiggling.

Other urls found in this thread:

variety.com/2016/film/festivals/gantz-o-review-1201855541/
youtube.com/watch?v=-c-VSzJqE6Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Reika is saved by “teammate” Kurono (Yuki Kaji), who then determines to face the monster alone. “You don’t have to do it!” she wails. “Who else is there?” Kurono replies, and he’s right: There is no one around of the right sex and age bracket to make a viable hero. He kills it, but is also killed. Reika is sad, but her hair is great, and her breasts magnificent.

They are reluctant players in a game run by a large black orb that issues instructions and keeps score. Somehow, when you die (Reika was in a car accident, her ineffectual older teammate Suzuki, voiced by Shuichi Ikeda, had a stroke), you materialize, healed, in a featureless office where you meet your team, get your catsuit and get sent out against the clock to defeat a bunch of enemies. Fail and the whole team buys it. Succeed, and you accrue points which can be used to escape the game, upgrade your weaponry or resurrect a dead teammate (oops, there go the stakes!). But the dead Kurono was their leader, so it’s a good thing that in a Tokyo subway station, similarly strapping young male Kato (Daisuke Ono) gets viciously stabbed to death, and can be co-opted onto their team.

How the resurrections work, what happens to the dead bodies, how the players are chosen, what they do in between games, and who exactly they’re playing for remain deeply unfascinating mysteries. More fundamentally, the battles take place in real Japan and are reported on by the real news as unprecedented alien attacks. But the game has been going on a long time, so who or what did they fight before? And why have the players themselves, who are occasionally caught on camera, not been recognized and the game exposed? They can’t all have been so unlucky as to have had their sole close relative turn away from the television at the exact moment they were filmed katana-swording a big ugly beastie, can they? To think about “Gantz: O” at all is to overthink it.

The team are dispatched to Osaka, where they must face down not only myriad new monsters, including one who seems vanquished only for its eye to morph into a breast (which must be spectacular in 3D) as it takes the form of a giant naked woman made up of the writhing forms of hundreds of other naked headless women, they also face a rival Gantz team. But that does give Kato the chance to fall for Anzu (M.A.O), a romantically forward mother-of-one with a laser lasso weapon and a lovingly rendered thigh gap. While fighting monsters who are declared dead more times than cinema has been in 2016 (an argument for which ‘Gantz: O’ makes a compelling case), only to rise again with additional wings or horns or whatever, Kato still has time for the old boy-meets-girl, girl-dies, boy-wins-arcane-afterlife-game-and-uses-points-to-bring-her-back story.

The preposterous illogic, manufactured dilemmas, subterranean stakes, unearned sentimentality, and unquestioned sexism might be marginally more forgivable if “Gantz: O” looked good. But aside from some inventive creature design, the cheap, dead eyes and sterile plasticity of the CG humans suggests we’re no closer to bridging the uncanny valley than we were 15 years ago when the first all-CG “Final Fantasy” movie came out. No doubt the majority of the intended audience weren’t even born in 2001 and are accustomed to this visual style from their computer screens and console games. But this is supposed to be cinema, and if people are only as good as the art they consume, it’s a matter of some urgency to supply the teenage boys of today — the men of tomorrow — with something better than “Gantz: O,” a film in which its deemed OK, perhaps even witty, to have one of your two sole female characters referred to in the closing moments not by her name, but by her nickname: “Jugs.”

no one fuckin cares lol

What's your point?

The title makes me chuckle when I see it as an emoticon

Gantz
:O

Did you write all this shit? Why?

>he actually photoshopped the op image together and wrote all this
Please seek help, i think you're suffering from the entire autism spectrum

OP is quoting this

>variety.com/2016/film/festivals/gantz-o-review-1201855541/

She's just salty because of this. It's her last line
>it’s a matter of some urgency to supply the teenage boys of today — the men of tomorrow — with something better than “Gantz: O,” a film in which its deemed OK, perhaps even witty, to have one of your two sole female characters referred to in the closing moments not by her name, but by her nickname: “Jugs.”

Op, I say this as a hikkineet that does absolutely nothing but watch anime, jerk off, play video games, eat, and sleep: GET A FUCKING LIFE YOU WASTE OF OXYGEN

I edited it somewhat because of letter limits. But I didn't write it.
Someone who saw it at the Venice Film festival did.

>OP is quoting this

Why is it so hard for some people to wrap their heads around the idea of a citation?

Miles says:
September 10, 2016 at 3:51 pm
>This review is stupid. You clearly aren’t a fan and bashed every aspect of gantz which people love. Btw the CGI is beautiful and I’m not really sure how you can’t appreciate it. Finally it did really well and the audience enjoyed it yet you’re here making it out like it flopped.

>regressively gendered vision
Was a huge red flag, right in the first paragraph
No surprise here

These movie adaptations are always awful. and Gantz was awful to begin with. This review should not be surprising to anyone.

so its just a review saying "japan is my soggy kneestic"?

Jesus christ
You're fuckin retarded

>including one who seems vanquished only for its eye to morph into a breast (which must be spectacular in 3D) as it takes the form of a giant naked woman made up of the writhing forms of hundreds of other naked headless women
I was worried this wouldn't make it.

KURONO IS YUKI FUCKING KAJI, KATO IS FUCKING DAISUKE ONO

I'M TIRED OF FUJOSHITS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

By the way, Kei jobs to a shitty monster and gets himself killed instead of that glorious fight against all odds in the manga.

>This looks bad
youtube.com/watch?v=-c-VSzJqE6Q

How?

Honestly it seems she's angered because of sexualization, I mean she opens and finishes the review with that.

Skimming that first paragraph was bad, I almost thought she was complaining how unfaithful it was to the source material at first for a more standard story.

I was this close to having a shred of respect for her, and thought "Wow, finally, someone actually cares about that enough to make it the starting point, where it would be most important for the fans of the show.

Dashed my hopes most excellently, OP.

Whenever a feminist writes an opinion piece on any given topic, I think the sanest and safest thing to do is to simply ignore her/him. I'm not even a big fan of gantz, but this review is simply biased and unhelpful.

I like the fact that women get mad at this sort of things. Not because I am a sjw, but because I fucking hate how tacky this childish fanservice makes every anime/manga/ln etc.
The medium dropping it altogether is only for the better.

>More fundamentally, the battles take place in real Japan and are reported on by the real news as unprecedented alien attacks. But the game has been going on a long time, so who or what did they fight before? And why have the players themselves, who are occasionally caught on camera, not been recognized and the game exposed? They can’t all have been so unlucky as to have had their sole close relative turn away from the television at the exact moment they were filmed katana-swording a big ugly beastie, can they? To think about “Gantz: O” at all is to overthink it.

I'm guessing the movie doesn't explain nobody can see the monsters or the participants fighting? Anyways, it was obvious that the movie adaptations will be always shit.

>Movie adapting the arc NUMBER 9 of Gantz should explain everything about Gantz

You might want to kill yourself, and everyone that saw the movie liked it. You're reading what a retarded SJW writes as a review and taking it as a fact.

That commentator is a gigantic faggot.

>"You can't like it because a bunch of other people liked it and you don't even like the source material. Your review is unfair, WAAAAAHHHHH."

>You can't like it because a bunch of other people liked it and you don't even like the source material. Your review is unfair, WAAAAAHHHHH

She's making it out to be as if the movie failed, when people actually liked it.

And he never cried about it, he said the review is stupid because she doesn't know anything about Gantz and went to see a movie adapting a Gantz arc.

Nice try Jessica

Woah there, I didn't say the movie should explain that. I was asking if may be the movie didn't explain that and that's what baffled her. The movie might have changed and suddenly everything was visible to everybody for all I know.

She's right on the fanservice though, this kind of fanservice is utterly demeaning to any work.
SJW or not, her aesthetic judgement seems superior to Sup Forums's.

Anime in Japan needs more reviewers like westerners. Not in their tastes, but in their intolerance for "supplements to the source material." This mentality that you have to read the book, watch the movie, read the manga, etc is horrific. Pick one and each should tell you a complete story.

This also. I swear japanese have the sittiest consumer ethics. Probably because of how retarded they are about "piracy".

>She's right on the fanservice though, this kind of fanservice is utterly demeaning to any work.

Your reasoning isn't any better.The commentator said that the majority of the audience enjoyed it, whereas Jessica Sarkeesian here seems to be peddling the notion that the rest of the attendance hated it as much as she did. Since what we have here are two contradicting subjective statements, the parsimonious thing to do is to wait and see the film for yourself, or alternatively see what the critc consensus about it is.

Meh, I´m still going to watch it and probably enjoy it. It´s like with CLANGserk: even though it´s shitty, you still somewhat enjoy it.

>Sarkeesian
>>>/reddit/

Did'nt read the rest of your post though.

You can't be serious, ''westerner'' studios have brought about the age of the shared universe movies, which both the critics and the audience eat up like the dumb fat cows they are.

This is like half the reason why anime is surviving now: the tolerance of consumers for half assed productions.

>Claims he's not sjw
>Literally closet sjw

No capeshit movie has ever required me to read the comics to understand it. Game of Thrones is now heading towards a TV original ending rather than following the books. Anime and the west have switched places.

>I like my anime jersey shore tier tacky and nobody is going to change that!

This.

When the trailers first dropped I heard people saying that it had been cut or that it wouldn't be in there.

>I want anime to not be anime
So much for cultural diversity and enrichment, eh?

By this logic every Pokemon movie must spend 30/90 minutes to explain the game mechanics and what Pokemon is.

See that Pikachu short special? It's only 15 minutes but we're gonna use up 12 of it to explain to you mother fucker, who Pikachu is.

You are literally a nigger in the head.

Nah, fuck that, anime and manga are part and parcel and I have no issue finishing the story in a different form.

We know you're completely exaggerating the situation to be annoying. Please act like a reasonable human and not an autistic sperg in the future.

>Muh boogieman
The problem with ideologues of any kind is that they filter reality through the lenses of their bias, so who is to say that she isn't exaggerating and hated the movie on the basis of her particular petpeeves?

>I have no issue finishing the story in a different form.
Disgusting

After a certain age, no one exists who doesn't have a filter.

Fucking this.

Too many western superhero films, especially reboots, will do shit like this because they're afraid their audience won't understand it. Nobody of the artifically (or truly) deep and metaphoric films go "Oh no what if the audience doesn't get it?" You already have their fucking money, you can't get a refund for a ticket because "You didn't understand it."

Shit like that reeks of executive meddling. As an example have an actual memo of some retarded executive meddling that thankfully got laughed off and thrown away,

Like that's going to change the fact that jiggly gigantic breasts are obviously in the movie and they destroy any form of serious tone the movie might have intended.

>Reika is sad, but her hair is great, and her breasts magnificent.
Fuck everybody, I'm glad to be able to see Reika in a movie. She wasn't in the live action (they used someone similar but didn't name her Reika). But, I am surprised at the complains about fanservice. Gantz has tons of killing, big tits, asses in lycra and sex. I would think one simple search online would show this.

So you went into say, The Avengers without seeing any other of the marvel movies?, Can you say you knew who all of the characters were or what their motivations are with only the context that one single movie offers?. I'm sorry user, but this bussiness model is here to stay in the west.

You don't get what is being complained about, namely that the film does not have a proper beginning and end but instead assumes the viewer has read and will continue to read the manga. Instead the movie should summarize broad swaths of events in a stand alone or trilogy format that one can understand from beginning to end with no contact with the manga.

>I would think one simple search online would show this.

She legit says

>
“But that’s what it’s like in the source material!” is a frequently used defense of subpar film adaptations, but here’s hoping Keiichi Sato and Yasushi Kawamura’s computer-generated “Gantz: O” represents a departure from the original “Gantz” comic (written by Hiroya Oku, adapted for screen by Tsutomu Kuroiwa). Otherwise it suggests strongly that all copies of the hugely popular manga should be shot into the sun.

>should
But why? What's wrong with a supplementary?

One thing is having sex what could add to the tone of the movie.
Other thing is, as I said, Jersey Shore tier depiction of sexuality which is childish and trashy.
Had the manga not had such ridiculous fanservice it would have been much better.

How can you say the film doesn't have a proper beginning when you haven't even seen the film, or potentially the first scene.

You know it's focused on the Tokyo Team in Osaka, but you don't know if it's entirely without the exposition and dialogue to explain the setting and key aspects of Gantz.

>So you went into say, The Avengers without seeing any other of the marvel movies?
No, but I went in without seeing the Hulk or Iron man ones because I hate that snarky fuck who plays Iron Man and never was interested in the Hulk.

>Can you say you knew who all of the characters were or what their motivations are with only the context that one single movie offers?

Yes because it's a brain dead comic book movie and everyone knows who the Hulk or Captain Murika or Iron Man is

The fanservice would have been the only good part of Gantz if Oku could draw attractive women.

>How can you say the film doesn't have a proper beginning when you haven't even seen the film, or potentially the first scene.
I'm not necessarily talking about this particular film, but rather the 'style' of film making/TV production Japan has adopted with movies and anime where you have to have seen X to see Y or have to go read the manga because the anime ended with no continuation.

>Jessica

And there goes any legitimacy or value the article had.

You go from watching a 40 million dollar LN adaption TV series with VA work, music, animation, coloring to a fucking picture book. It's a drop off in production values that is intolerable.

So your issue is that you just don't like manga, I see.

I am a different user, so I didn't read your Jersey Shore analogy. Jersey Shore is a reality tv show based off of orange people, so I don't see how that relates to a fictional story in Japan at all.

Honestly, I don't understand why you read Gantz at all. I think it had a lot of story problems (like Tae) that removing fanservice wasn't going to fix, especially at the end, but reading it, I understood that there would be a lot of jiggling and killing.

Whoops, LNs, I guess. And I don't read LNs, either, but that's also just a matter of me not liking LNs, not a matter of supplements being automatically bad.

Did we read the same gantz manga?, of course there's tons of gratuitious fan service and unnecessary gore, the manga is freaking stupid but it was a ton of fun (at least to a certain point). If you think the manga went for a serious tone instead of say, something like evil dead 2 then you missed the point as much as the critic in her article.

>Picture book

>Jersey Shore is a reality tv show based off of orange people
Not him but people who watch Jersey Shore are the same type of people who would read Gantz

So let's say I like the idea of a work that is a LN adaption, and then I watch the anime because I like said idea. Then say the anime ends with "LOL GO BUY LN 4 REST"

That means I get literally no ending.

I read it when I was like 17 but I remember it having a pretty cool anti-hero thing going on and what not which I thought the manga explored in a pretty serious fashion and I liked. Didn't finish it though.

I mean if you're complaining about that style of TV production then you have to recognize that the animation industry, overall, is constrained by budgets, manpower, and schedules and for something to be adapted in its entirety is a rarity and really many anime adaptations are only serviceable as a promotion of popular manga series. The manga sales get a big boost, the merch gets a big boost, and the anime series piggybacks some of that popularity onto its BRD/DVD sales.

It's a method of risk aversion and it's meant to improve the financial health of multiple parties and industries that are intertwined. Western superhero films, particularly Marvel, are produced in a similar way.

These sort of things (and especially Gantz: O) are expensive to produce and you can't commit to a series if you don't know that the first film will be successful. It's not a stretch so say they chose the Osaka mission because of the particular characters or believing that it would be the most entertaining and well-received portion of Gantz to adapt for Japanese audiences.

But like I said, that's only an issue because you don't like the source medium. If you like the source medium, it all works out. I don't see any inherent issue with making adaptations meant for fans or potential fans of the original, just don't fucking watch them if you know you aren't in either of those categories (unless you're okay with no ending, I guess).

>I read it when I was 17
Not him, but that probably explains why you thought Gantz's "serious explorations" were anything worth caring about.

Nah, you're probably one of those retards who only watch anime ironically and don't like shows serious in tone like eva or lain.

That's a shit method of adaption since it requires you to like the original medium or at least tolerate its low production values to get the rest of the story. The old method of anime original endings was vastly superior since anime only fags can just take that and eat it and manga or LN only fags can just keep reading their manga or LN even if they don't like the anime's ending.

Marvel movies are not handled the same way--they don't try to adapt every single thing that has happened in the comics (which would be vastly retarded). A villain appears, the heroes fuck him up and it's over. That's a conclusion. You might get some stupid teaser for a future movie in the credits but you can ignore that since it's tiny.

calm down anons it's just animes

See user?, you DID pay to see other marvel movies prior to it, which is what the studios are banking on, so what exactly is the difference?. Also no, not everyone knows who the Hulk or CA are in china (the second biggest movie market in the world) beyond maybe what they look like if even that. Basically your complain about Japanese media vs western is a lot of the pot callin the kettle black.

While i find that last comment to be absolute trash, i think Oku wasn't really good at writing female characters. The main girls such as Reika, Anzu and Kishimoto, all of them served as love interests of the main characters, Reika being so obsessive about Kurono that he made a clone of him, and then the idiot kills himself in front of god aliens that can bring people back from the death in matter of seconds.

Yeah lets just smoke dope and watch k-on, r-right guys?

Comparing this to Berserk is a fucking sin because the main issue with Berserk is the god-awful visuals(and no Lost Children[/spoiler), look at , if you think that looks like shit then you're autistic. Complain about the them being unfaithful to the story but not the visuals.

Not the same user, but why did you assume that particular criticism of Gantz is extensive to all anime?, that other user never even implied that.

No, nigger, I read plenty of serious manga. It's just that Gantz is a fucking stupid gorefest that you read for thrills, not for thematics or good plot, because it doesn't have those. All Oku has underneath his blood and tits is a bunch of half-assed character drama in poor imitation of his teacher Yamamoto Naoki.

>That's a shit method of adaption since it requires you to like the original medium or at least tolerate its low production values to get the rest of the story.
I disagree with the logic. It's perfectly fine to the people who like the original medium. It's obviously bad for the people who don't, but they can just not watch it. I mean, I seriously don't get why you seem to expect anyone to care about your specific personal preferences when they decide what media to use for a franchise. You're just annoyed that they make things for a niche that you don't belong to, but that's how shit works, tough luck.

> The old method of anime original endings was vastly superior since anime only fags can just take that and eat it

I mean I guess if you like the taste of shit, I can't recall the last anime original ending that I liked. The only one I thought was even remotely passable in all of the anime series I've seen was Great Teacher Onizuka's.

I mean holy shit did you even see Kumamiko's anime original ending. It was so bad that the manga author and studio staff publicly apologies for it on the net. That alone gives me little faith for the future of anime original endings.

>Marvel movies are not handled the same way--they don't try to adapt every single thing that has happened in the comics

No I was referring how to the risk aversion strategy at the end of my post. Where you have a super hero film which is successful, and you tie it into other super hero films to promote those films success. The same way that the manga or LN series success ties to the anime and merchandising success. It's just a method to make those investments feel more financially sound for the studio that creates the anime series or film, since the anime series or film has hundreds of times the production cost that it needs to justify to producers and distributors.

You mean he didn't?

what are your top 5 best mangas?

>Feminist ''''''''critic''''''''
Opinion dicarded.

You're a rudeboi and you can't reply to me unless you've watched Now and Then, Here and There and Blue Gender.

Have now and then, here and there in my bl and blue gender I saw the first two episodes and thought it was pretty bad.

Well then go finish it you little baby, stop wasting your time with shitposts I bet your candy ass dropped Texhnolyze by episode 3.

>you DID pay to see other marvel movies prior to it,

>Paying
>To see movies

Are you retarded? I pirated them like every other upstanding citizen. And I only saw Thor 1-2 because I like Thor. And they had like nothing to do with the Avengers movie's plot.

>Also no, not everyone knows who the Hulk or CA are in china (the second biggest movie market in the world) beyond maybe what they look like if even that.

>Implying I live in China or care what Chinese know about comic books

>Basically your complain about Japanese media vs western is a lot of the pot callin the kettle black.

It would be if Marvel movies adapted the comics from issue 1 and then ended after 3 movies and you had to read The Avengers 150-600 to find out what happened.

>It's obviously bad for the people who don't, but they can just not watch it.

So basically the anime industry died around 2008 and you're all LN and mangafags. Is this what you're telling me? And 4 anime come out each season: the 4 that are "Anime originals"?

>I mean I guess if you like the taste of shit

The only reason people constantly complain that an anime is worse than the manga is because they read and fell in love with the manga first so any change is an abomination to them. This is a well known phenomenon. Do you honestly think all manga writers are geniuses and all anime directors are shit?

>No I was referring how to the risk aversion strategy at the end of my post. Where you have a super hero film which is successful, and you tie it into other super hero films to promote those films success. The same way that the manga or LN series success ties to the anime and merchandising success.
Then anime should steal Marvel's storytelling method and adapt the broad generality of the manga with a mostly original plotline which reuses elements of the manga with a conclusive ending.

But bluegender has pretty trite characters from the very begginning.

>So basically the anime industry died around 2008 and you're all LN and mangafags. Is this what you're telling me? And 4 anime come out each season: the 4 that are "Anime originals"?
No, that's your own retarded definition of words. People can enjoy multiple things, you fucking faggot.

Blue Gender literally gets worse after the first two or three episodes, though. That's when it forgets what it wants to be and just falls apart all over the place and makes it clear that Takahashi's name was slapped on for marketing purposes. If he didn't like the start then he's fucking lucky he dropped it when he did.

It isn't the anime industry. It's the LN and manga promotion industry

We are not discussing movie endings vs original source material endings to a story user , but rather the current trend of having to watch multiple movies/tv shows/comics/whatever in order to expirience the totality of a story, which happens to be where wetern media is at wheeter we like it or not.

Again, you're making up your own definitions of words. And arguing from purpose is dumb as shit, anyway.

>The only reason people constantly complain that an anime is worse than the manga is because they read and fell in love with the manga first so any change is an abomination to them. This is a well known phenomenon. Do you honestly think all manga writers are geniuses and all anime directors are shit?

I've seen enough original anime and read enough unadapted manga to KNOW that anime directors are bad and that most manga writers are better, not necessarily good, but better. They understand their own series better, they understand their own characters better, and they can tie things up in an ending better.

>Then anime should steal Marvel's storytelling method and adapt the broad generality of the manga with a mostly original plotline which reuses elements of the manga with a conclusive ending.

And again this goes back to the constraints of manpower, time tables, and the question of financial viability. There's a pretty clear reason why very successful adaptations get adapted in their entirety, but not every studio has the resources of say J.C. Staff, Production I.G, Ufotable, or even bones or Madhouse. They adapt a wide variety of anime series to cover their bases and try and ensure financial success by the end of the season or the next season. Unlike these superhero films which are partnered with big studios and can afford to joint-adapt a bunch of films within a 2-3 year span.

Also the audience for these superhero films is larger, undeniably so it's more profitable in the first place.

>I don't like unfinished adaptations so they aren't anime
I know you're annoyed and all, but let's not act like a second-grader here.

I don't honestly think it's that anime compared to manga sucks balls, I think it's just the overall quality or budget it gets that ruins it depending on it.

I started reading manga like a madman these passed 2 months, I noticed the anime adaptions are not as timeless as the manga itself for some reason it's an anomaly.

I guess it just feels like 30 20 frames per second or some lack of detail when they move but it does feel different.

Same kind of representations are found in video games as well.

It's because you've probably seen some really high quality animation, so you know the upper limits of how good it can be, but most anime being produced on a tight schedule and budget means it's not hitting that limit.

Meanwhile you've read a lot of manga, and although they're not necessarily the most beautiful drawings you've ever seen the unique stylization makes you less critical of it as a viewer.