Too stupid to look up her address to send mail to

>too stupid to look up her address to send mail to
>can't move past a crush from when he and her were just kids
>so stuck in the past he doesn't notice that his best friend is in love with him and ends up leaving her alone
>later gets a girlfriend only to be a bad boyfriend and break up with her while living the salaryman wageslave life
>movie ends with him smiling after seeing his childhood crush who he wasted his entire life for pass by
What was the point of this movie? What message did Hackoto Shinkai want us to take from it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=weSAge0XsOY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No, no, OP, it was all because of muh fate.

dude musubi lmao

Rice balls?

It's open to interpretation, but a popular moral is that it's about the need to let go. Kinda like Saw 3 except it's not a pile of shit.

That life is hard for autistic people

>It's open to interpretation, but a popular moral is that it's about the need to let go.
I thought the moral was he should've shacked up with his crush?

Congrats for missing the point of the story.

>too stupid to look up her address to send mail to
Too bad that's not what's happening. But emotionally stunted people like you with no social experiences probably won't get it.

explain, o enlightened one.

still waiting

literally the life of 50% of wagecucks

>emotionally stunted people like us
>mc chases his waifu from childhood because he cant grow up
lmao. just lmao

You totally missed the whole point of the story. The best part of MC's life has already passed by. He will never again experience those feelings, he will never again truly love someone, even the same girl ten years later, because young idealized version of her in his memories will always be better.
Basically, Shinkai is telling us, that live is shit and there is no point to do anything cause it will always be worse and worse.
But yeah, maybe i'm wrong and real tragedy is that MC didn't get the pussy. Such horror.

the poiint is that people drift apart.

However, people think that shinkai is the master of story telling, the new miyazaki, and over analyze everything and get confused when there's nothing there (unlike beyond the clouds that had to much shit and also confused people)

what a sad life. i wonder if he jacked off to the thought of her child body the whole time

ITSUDEMO SAGASHITE IRU YO

>Basically, Shinkai is telling us, that live is shit and there is no point to do anything cause it will always be worse and worse.

I thought it was that memories are always looked through rose tinted glasses, and you ought to learn to take control and live your life rather than let it be consumed by idealistic reminiscence in entirely fatalistic bubble.

>lmao. just lmao
Kill yourself. Just kill yourself.

"A story of the distance between them"

It says in the fucking title you fucking retarded amerfag

Someone sedate this man and reattach his ass, stat

cm/s is a measure of speed, not distance

Yeah I definitely got this from it. He wasted years, but still let it go to move on eventually.

Yes, but this is actually a common theme in film. Except in the Western world it's usually about people in their late 40s or 50s remembering their university days.
It seems like Shikai thinks that midlife crisis starts in early 20s. Or maybe deep inside he's just a manchild otaku.

feathers drift slowly to the ground

people drift slowly apart

wow man so deep

or was it a cherry blossom? whatever its been awhile since ive seen it.

I mean in the opening title you fucking retard. It says something like "a series of episodes about the distance between them"..

Just let your tears out, Sup Forums.
youtube.com/watch?v=weSAge0XsOY

cherry blossom pretty sure

I think somebody actually tested the speed of cherry blossoms falling, and while the shape of it made the falling speed heavily fluctuate the average was something like 1 meter per second or something. Just figured I'd tell that.

I rewatched it yesterday, after some years and that third chapter hit too close

Movie is severly overrated.
>being in love with someone you don't see for years will stultify you emotionally

Oh, really? Who woulda thunk?

This anime emotionally destroyed me. One more chance...

I think he finally let go at the end and moved on which is why he let her go.

Was the 2nd girl the best or what?

manga wasn't as bad, since we actually see the guy move on and get back together with a previous girl who liked him

I don't know. I was skeptical about how highly this was praised before I saw it but I was really impressed when I finally watched it. I think people who experienced similar situations will really resonate with this movie. It definitely won't hit you as hard if you can't relate.

MC gets to fuck girl - good plot. Otherwise - bad plot. Am i understanding you right?
You do realise that she was just a silly country girl? What would he recieve from her (if i remember correctly, he was a smartass and later went to Todai and got pretty decent job)?

If you haven't caught on by now, in Japanese stories the internet doesn't exist and/or and keeping in touch is unheard of.

>It seems like Shikai thinks that midlife crisis starts in early 20s
More like at 15-16
Childhood magic is gone by that point and life feels boring, mundane and not exciting anymore

Snow felt magical as fuck when I was a kid
Now as a 21 year old I see snow and I'm like "Oh it's snowing...meh"

Same goes for most other things

the movie is about distance, like it fucking says in the subtitle. in the first part the guy and the girl are seperated by physical distance because of the train, but their emotional distance is still close. this is contrasted in the second part by the other girl who is physically close but unable to get closer emotionally. in the third part the physical distance is closed when they see each other at the train crossing, but time has caused them to drift so far apart that they have nothing to say to each other. even a retard should be able to understand this.

this movie is fucking trash plot wise
Even keyshit is better than this, which has forced drama most of the time

His latest movie makes a good comparison with this one.

I got a distinct sense that the part where you find out that about the time difference being the reason that they can't call each other as well as the part where they pass each other on the bridge and are about to pass each other again in the ending were plot points that came about in direct response to perceived weaknesses in the plot of 5 cm/s.

Do you all think Shinkai's getting better, getting worse, or just doing the same thing?

Did people actually like this song? The singer just sounds kind of goofy to me. Completely ruined the tone of the ending for me at least.

This isn't even he's worst movie, that Ghibli wannabe movie he made was garbage, even Goro Miyazaki's second Ghibli movie was better than that trash that Shikai shitted out.

The guy gets NTR'd by his girlfriends twice in the novels.

Not the same guy.

Takaki and Akari both actually kept sending mail to each other however if you noticed in the ending sequence when they both went to from happy there is mail in the mail box to sadness when the mail box it was empty. We can easily assume that they both sent mail to each other quite frequently but of course as time goes on they start to run out of things to talk about because they are both (sorta) doing their own thing now. So eventually the letters go from 4 times a month, to 2 times a month, to once a month, to once every two months, to once every 4 months and once every 6 months. Eventually you just stop sending mail to each other because you assume one or the other is eventually going to write you back but it never happens.

Well yeah this is actually what the film meant.

To a lot of people here, it might have been to pretentious, but to me, I was sad as fuck for 3 days after watching it. Well not really sad, more like, I didn't fee like doing stuff during that time.