Did he have the best match in the entire series?

Did he have the best match in the entire series?
also ippo thread

Just finished the series that's on Crunchyroll, really need to get around to reading the manga proper. Ippo is so fucking good, no idea why I hadn't heard about it sooner

He's literally worst character

what did you watch, the first series, or all 3?

t. butthurt murrican

You mean the one where he got shit on to an unimaginable extent, so that even the refs where so biased they straight out broke the rules?

Because that seems to be his gimmick.

Whatever was on CR, I think there was only one season. Had no idea there were other seasons when I started watching, so I was wondering why Ippo was already the world champion at the "start". It's the one that starts with Ippo defending his title from a big Hawaiian guy, and ends with his coach reminiscing about Japan's reconstruction after WW2 and punching 'Muricans. Good shit

After reading the latest chapters I can't tell if I hate Takamura or not. His ego is going ridiculously out of control to the point where he may as well have said "Yeah fuck all of you retards this is my gym now just retire and get out don't ever talk to me or my surrogate father again."

Oh, nevermind, I thought that was Itagaki, not Volg. Volg is p cool.

>Itagaki,
RREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

"Muh talent" "Muh time powers" "Muh reflexes" "Muh fast" "Muh eyesight" "Muh shiritori" "Muh Kumi won't fuck me"

I fucking HATE Shitagaki

>best fight

Lmao

That's not any of Takamuras fights
Or mashiba v sawamura

Kimura vs Mashiba is top tier too

Itagaki has dumber hair, but otherwise he looks similar, true

But that's why he is good

>But that's why he is good
Yeah it can be funny at times but now it's starting to just make him look like a pathetic asshole.

you watched Rising which was a shit adaptation, read the manga proper, the first anime and the Mashiba vs Kimura OVA along with the Champion Road movie. watch Eiji vs Date and Takamura vs Hawk in new Challengers.

Take that back

Takamura knows he's on borrowed time himself.

You right.

His last one with the toe twist was bad

Don't know about pathetic, but asshole? Yes, and wouldn't want him other way.

Oh shit. That isn't itagaki.
Yeah that fight was good man

New chapter is out, looks like Ippo is actually incapable of properly boxing anymore and we're actually going to see this shit end.

Imai pushing itagaki's shit in was great though

Hell yeah. One of my favorites

Will you remember him, Sup Forums?

I'm just waiting for this shit to end now.

Its probably going to end up being a result ippo having a shitton of fatigue due to inhuman training and ippo being a workaholic adding more shit ontop of that with no rest.

Bravo George, there's no way to resolve this in a satisfying way.

In a way, that must be a talent.

>CR
Fucking kill yourself. Where are the mods?

Yeah, how the fuck is this going to end? Ippo just fucking retires, Takamura keeps being a mary sue until he's forced to retire from injuries, Sendo jobs to Gonzales because his style is even riskier than Ippo's, etc?

Is the end of this manga going to have a fucking "Reality is harsh and you don't always succeed :)" message? Christ.

Reminder to how far fucking back this was foreshadowed. and in the anime he even specifically mentioned Detatched Retinas and punch drunkeness

Who was that guy again?

I remember.

I really am curious how they'll execute this ending now. Somehow I doubt that Morikawa will have the balls to kill Ippo, the rest of the series felt too optimistic for that to happen (Unlike a certain other boxing manga...) yet at the same time, where do you even go from here? It would feel kind of cheap if Ippo did somehow win a match against the champ in this condition.

I'm placing my faith in Morikawa on this one, he can find a way. I'd like to believe that he's probably had some idea of how he'd like to end it from the start.

Definately top 2 or top 3. And the first anime took his match with ippo from being decent to one of the best in the series

Volg's coach from russia, howd you forget

I actually fully expect this to be the case, the bastard doesnt know what rest means.

Probably because this manga is nearly 1200 fucking chapters?

Guys, I've got it

The new 4-dimensional Dempsey will go back in time and punch Ippo's opponents (past, present and future) before they can hit him, meaning he never became punch drunk in the first place.

Except Gonzales, who actually boxes in five dimensions and uses both hands.

That chapter was published like 20 years ago

>uses both hands.
OH FUCK

He needs to go on vacation, has he ever in the series? Training camps dont count.

Pretty much no, the only times where he's been forced tobtakeva break is when he lost to Date, and whenever he's incapacitated/hospitalized. Guy is a workhorse

ippo thread
more like ippo dead

why are you even here?

Either that or they'll pass it off as a joke because it was actually the helmet's fault.

How the fuck is Ippo going to beat Ricardo "70 matches no losses" Martinez when he's punch-drunk?

he's not actually punch drunk

but he sure as hell isnt beating Ricardo regardless.

OXYGEN

Truthfully, I really don't know how that's going to happen.

Considering they made Ricardo to be like a God in the series. The guy pretty much shut down the Dempsey Roll with just a few light jabs and he wasn't even trying.

I just hope the solution to his punch-drunkness is actually some deep psychological shit that overturn his stagnant character and makes him cross the line takamura drew. If he just stops being the naive kid he's always been for almost 1200 chapters then perhaps...- Who am I kidding, he'll just outpunch and out-oxygen his opponent whilst being a little bitch like always.

Ippo needs to rest.
This is the best time for Sendo and Miyata to get a crack at Ricardo. Both will try to beat the champion and fail. And as Ippo rests, he'll become better.

It'll make his eventual victory even better since we'll see Ricardo's full strength before Ippo steps into the ring to fight him.

>I just hope the solution to his punch-drunkness is actually some deep psychological shit that overturn his stagnant character and makes him cross the line takamura drew.
You know it'll happen. They keep building up that Ippo always holds back. He only punches at 70% strength, he's too nice, he doesn't fight like a challenger, has no pride in his skills or victories, only sees the sport as a hobby.

Out punching won't work. He just goes headfirst into a trainwreck. He needs to develop the Dempsey in a perfect fighting style that will make him avoid every punch. Until Ippo does that, he won't fight again.

The next fighter Ippo needs to defeat is himself.

Plus Ricardo killing Sendo in the ring will give Ippo the motivation he needs to get back in there.

>mfw i want ippo to hilariously lose against ricardo and end up with brain damage or something along those lines

or maybe to never make even manage to make a return into the ring

The real question is whether it's Miyata or Sendo that will fight Ricardo first. I still think that it's Sendo since he's been hyped for awhile that he wants to fight Ricardo while Miyata just got the idea from his father to leave Ippo in the dust and go for higher heights.

>Miyata
>fight Ricardo
Did I miss any buildup for that? I seriously don't know what the author wants to do with the character.

It's when Sendo has a talk with Miyata. Can't remember where. He tells Miyata to basically not wait for Ippo. And his father said something along the lines of possibly fighting Ricardo rather than just endlessly defending his belt. Waiting for Ippo to fight him has made him bored out of his mind.

he uses 70% of his power because his punches are supposed to be compact, not full swings like Sendo.

He did actually have his own goals concerning boxing until around his pacific challenge where he got sidetracked by "what is boxing supposed to be" bullcrap and became content, he wasnt like that back when he fought Sanada.

the dempsy is supposed to be both offence and defence for ippo but lately whenever he uses it he just gets hit anyway, what's next for the dempsey is to incapsulate everything he's learned up to this point into one cohesive form.

and for once can we stop with the damn oxygen memes, it happened twice and it was relevent to the fights they came up in.

what ippo needs to do accept that he's already a monster, he hurts people for a living and has retired more than half of his opponents, he doesnt need to change his personality, just to have an actual personal goal for once since his fight with miyata first came up and he was content on simply retiring after.

>he uses 70% of his power because his punches are supposed to be compact, not full swings like Sendo.
Rhetoric, the point is that he doesn't punch at full strength.

>what's next for the dempsey is to incapsulate everything he's learned up to this point into one cohesive form.
He needs to be able to punch from every angle, avoid every punch, stop whenever, catch up to his opponents that run away with the gazzel punch and keep the pressure without having to get hit.

If Ippo can actually do that sort of pressure and keep his strong stamina and never get hit, he would be an insane monster.

>for once can we stop with the damn oxygen memes
Hopefully, because the memes are getting annoying.

It's not rhetoric, punching power isnt his problem, its everything else.

In particular he's even more prone to feints and silly shit in general now than he was during his first 2 or 3 years of boxing and lost his ability to improvise on the fly and relies to heavily on kamogawa's instruction, he used to be pretty competent when left to his own devices whenever kamogawa was forced to leave him to fend for himself. and that's on top of taking more punches than he should, though not for lack of trying since dodging is all he fucking practices.

I said it was one of his problems, not the only reason he's not strong. Punching at 100% instead of 70% is a mental gap on his part along with everything else.

Ippo needs to defeat himself before he can fight again.

I don't think you are quite getting what he's saying.

PUNCH HARDURR BOY

I get the feeling that something will go do where all that shit he talked comes crashing down

it's most definitely going to, he's in no position to talk shit to anyone with his eye going blind and like another user said he surely knows he's on borrowed time and wants to rush through whatever time he has left

>and for once can we stop with the damn oxygen memes, it happened twice and it was relevent to the fights they came up in.

The oxygen meme is the shittest forced meme I've seen in years. It was fine during Rising's run, when it started with shitting on the animation and overall bad adaptation, but once retards started posting it outside Ippo threads and spamming that shit on other boards whenever the series is mentioned, it just turned into complete cancer, since it only encourages shitposters to come into the threads.

>It's when Sendo has a talk with Miyata. Can't remember where. He tells Miyata to basically not wait for Ippo. And his father said something along the lines of possibly fighting Ricardo rather than just endlessly defending his belt. Waiting for Ippo to fight him has made him bored out of his mind.

The build for Miyata is to go after the WBC world champion, since of the featherweights, he's the closest to challenging for it, given the OPBF champion is automatically ranked 5th in the WBC; I believe his rank has gone up quite a bit since then..

The only person in the WBA Miyata is interested in is Gonzales, but Sendo will get to him first and get destroyed to build for Gonzales vs Ricardo 3, since we need to see the perfected version of Rage+Technique mode, even if this will also end in Alfredo getting his shit pushed for the third and final time.

What the fuck is Morikawa doing? This is shit.

So is he gonna learn to dodge now? Honestly, he ate way more punches than he should have after a certain point.

I doubt Takamura is going to get messed up; it's more likely that he and Kamogawa are going to have a falling out, since this entire issue with Ippo will likely NOT be punch-drunkenness, but pure stress.

Unlike Ippo, Takamura isn't aware of Kamogawa's and Nekota's promise to Yuki to forge a world champion with their own hands. To Takamura, he's all Kamogawa needs, since he can win the old man world championship after world championship. The problem with Takamura is that he doesn't realize that all the shit that Kamogawa has gone through with Ippo and vice versa is exactly what Kamogawa wants, since, unlike Takamura, Ippo isn't a natural born talent who could capture a world championship without Kamogawa.

Takamura is going to go through the next few weight-classes feeling like he HAS to keep winning for the old man's sake, when the reality is that Kamogawa is grateful just to have the opportunity to see one of his boxers compete on that level; whereas Ippo, a boxer he trained from nothing becoming a world champion is not only his hope, but dream.

Considering how Takamura looks to Ippo like a younger brother and being the surrogate son of Kamogawa; not being the person who the old man relies on is going to hurt him more than even losing his first match or conquering those six weight-classes.

When you look at how Morikawa loves to do a slow build to his stories, you can bet when Kamo and Taka comes to blows, it's going to be some serious shit.

>What the fuck is Morikawa doing? This is shit.

It's called drama. This is building to Takamura being wrong and his own conflicted feelings about being second fiddle to his 'little brother' Ippo, when it comes to Kamogawa.

All this shit about Ippo being damaged will just be Ippo poorly coping with the pressure to challenge the world.

>So is he gonna learn to dodge now? Honestly, he ate way more punches than he should have after a certain point.

It's way too late in Ippo's career as a boxer for that. Besides, the series and pointed out repeatedly that with Ippo size, his style and his techniques switching to a defensive style that isn't simply head-weaving is asking for his opponent to kill him with their reach.

>Takamura
>ever being wrong
He's not wrong, Ippo is broken. He just hasn't said if this is permanent.

Ippo does Kamogawa's Inhumane training menu, his own batshit form of training that even kamogawa wouldnt approve of during his supposed off time, and helps with the family fishing business pretty much everyday. I doubt Ippo was even close to 100% for his last few fights much less when he sparred sendo.

also the drawing a straight line thing is a huge nothing since he did the line drawing a long time ago and he couldnt do a straight line back then either.

Not to mention Ippo can still sign his name well.

The Fighting>Mashiba v Kimura>Rising>Champion Road>>>>>>New Challenger

therell probably be a development similar to jimmy sisfa. he spars against an old friend or something and it will remind him of all the good times he had boxing and all the things he fought for and it will clear his mind.

>Rising better than anything

no, and champion Road was pretty good, the build got messed up a bit but the match was superb and got more attention than it would have if it was in a tv series as its legitimately one of Ippo's best matches but often gets passed over.

>not jungle boy
I get that Georgie boy has a huge boner for muh talent, but that shit was retarded.

It won't be enough and you know it. His sparring with Sendo didn't make him clear his mind. Ippo has to break his entire personality and become a new person.

I cant even blame ippo for being a retard in that fight, it was bullshit.

Not happening, expecting him to have a complete change in personality is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

You've never played an actual sport, have you?

>also the drawing a straight line thing is a huge nothing since he did the line drawing a long time ago and he couldnt do a straight line back then either.

The thing with Ippo not being able to draw a straight line happens whenever he's confronted with an ultimatum.

It happened the first time after Kumi questioned if he should continue boxing, before he promised to retire if he loses again and, as of 1153's spoilers, now again after Takamura confronted him about disappointing Kamogawa and challenging the world.

Until Ippo goes back to the doctor and we actually see it (because like time Ippo couldn't draw a line, there's a small time-skip where he states the doctor didn't find anything wrong with his brain) it could be anything from overworking or nerve damage in his hand.

>I get that Georgie boy has a huge boner for muh talent, but that shit was retarded.

I used to believe this, but then Itagaki went full retard and has taken the crown of worst character.

It'd be fucking amazing for some actual development that doesn't get rolled back.

>Not happening, expecting him to have a complete change in personality is just setting yourself up for disappointment.
We'll see. That line is there for a reason.

I still maintain that the real opponent Ippo will be fighting is himself.

>there's a small time-skip where he states the doctor didn't find anything wrong with his brain) it could be anything from overworking or nerve damage in his hand.
You might be right.

nothing can ever top Woli in the manga. Nothing can top that shitstorm

but dont you see it was all a set up to tear itagaki down after he started feeling himself? Imai created a monster and had to put him back down.

Ippo needs a moment like in Berserk where Guts examined his morals and judged himself to be wrong and changed his life on the spot.

The threads for those chapters were fucking glorious on Sup Forums.

That was a fun thread. Fucking Itagaki.
He's still going to rise up again and fuck Miyata then go
>muahahahahhaha I defeated Ippo's arch rival, I'm better than Ippooooo

Itagaki not falling apart and staying calm collected and fighting perfectly until the end only made it better too. Itagaki was going to lose that fight and there wasnt a damn thing he could do about it

And the fact that he lost the quickest in the entire series was sweet too. When the guys Ippo fucked in the first round lasted longer than he did.

>When the guys Ippo
Even* the guys...

>He's still going to rise up again and fuck Miyata then go

Oh god. I completely forgot that Morikawa was teasing Itagaki vs Miyata, before based Kyosuke punched Manabu's face in.

I could see this shitfest being Miyata's final OPBF defense before he moves on to face the faceless WBC featherweight world champion. I fully expect Miyata to completely destroying Itagaki before moving on.

>Itagaki not falling apart and staying calm collected and fighting perfectly until the end only made it better too. Itagaki was going to lose that fight and there wasnt a damn thing he could do about it
The absolute most beautiful thing is Morikawa not only foreshadowed how Kyosuke would destroy Manabu, but Kyosuke states from the start that he didn't give a shit about the A-class tournament, because taking a path that didn't lead to challenging Ippo would be a waste of fucking time; and he was absolutely right.

>And the fact that he lost the quickest in the entire series was sweet too. When the guys Ippo fucked in the first round lasted longer than he did.

A perfect way to end the 'time trial' faggotry that Itagaki was doing with his A-class tourney opponents, who all ended up retiring.

>I completely forgot that Morikawa was teasing Itagaki vs Miyata, before based Kyosuke punched Manabu's face in.
That fight is still going to happen though, whether we like it or not.

and itagaki had to taste being 2nd best yet again. and its great that Mori went out of his way to show that Imai fights nothing like Ippo. that entire fight was pure tactics

Ricardo is pretty much perfect. Takamura might be canonically pound for pound greater, but since he has to fuck up his weight all the time cause he's greedy he ends up killing his own career span. In contrast Ricardo just sticks to that one belt and in exchange steadily improves himself as proven when he fought Date again, so it's not like he got nothing out of it.

Only Woli could possibly give him a challenge like 5-10 years later, you know when Ricardo might possibly lose steam from getting older.

>hating on itagaki
He's waaaaaaay better than Miyata.
Excuse me for not being a manga-fag and only watching the series, but HOLY FUCK SENPAI!

I don't understand how any of you faggots could literally like Miyata.

I mean he's leaps and bounds better than Sawamura but Miyata is pure TRASH

Woli will never fight ricardo, his trainer would never risk putting his last protegy against that monster. Woli will either fight in another federation all together or wait for Ricardo to retire before pursuing the WBA world title, assuming he even stays at featherweight and not drop to strawweight or jr lightweight

you only think that way about Sawamura because the anime completely ruined the build of his fight.

nobody really likes miyata but after a period of time after when Rising happens and when Itagaki becomes more of a focus he ends up being a two-faced asshat who covets everything ippo has.

>Only Woli could possibly give him a challenge like 5-10 years later, you know when Ricardo might possibly lose steam from getting older.

>Woli will never fight ricardo, his trainer would never risk putting his last protegy against that monster. Woli will either fight in another federation all together or wait for Ricardo to retire before pursuing the WBA world title, assuming he even stays at featherweight and not drop to strawweight or jr lightweight

Woli is going to become either WBO or IBF featherweight world champion. Since the Japanese characters can't compete in those federations, that's the perfect way for Morikawa to make the non-Japanese characters still competing champs.

>Excuse me for not being a manga-fag

Into the trash it goes.

Anime-onlyfags are cancer. Especially when they post in manga threads.

Truth be told, Takamura doesn't have a lot do competition in his actual weight class. That's why he keeps changing.

There are plenty of featherweights in the ippo universe that Ricardo can challenge. It wouldn't be wise for him to do so.

Also, say if Ricardo did decide to do a catch fight way above his fighting weight.

He would get smashed.

BY PUNCHING HARDER WITH THE OXYGEN IN HIS MUSCLES WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY PUNCHING HARDER