Why is writing in anime always fucking terrible?

Why is writing in anime always fucking terrible?

Name me a series with good writing
you can't

Gungrave. Good writing, terrible everything else.

Because Japanese is too different a language from English to be translated accurately without sounding awkward.

It's not a request. It's a question about writing in anime and why it is the way it is

Because "otaku" style writing is the selling point to begin with.

You need to be more subtle

>good writing
this meme again, what the fuck do you guys consider good writing?

I don't think we're talking about sentence structure. Also, you can rearrange the sentence in whatever order you want, this claim doesn't make much sense. I mean, yes, there are some particles, but in general Japanese is actually a very primitive and undeveloped language. To give one example, there are no verb tenses other than present and past (called "perfective" and "imperfective"). Thankfully, our Western languages give us Infinitives, Gerunds, Participles, Indicative/Subjunctive/Imperative moods, etc.
I think OP was referring to the actual content (the idea behind the sentence), not the organization of words in the sentence.

the opposite of bad writing

So no anime ever has any of those problems?

Go fuck yourself

I didnt know languages had tiers of development.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

>What is FMA???
>What is Jojo???
>What is Fate/stay night???

I will be brutally honest, at first it may seem like I am a man from the 1800's arguing for colonization. But all languages are not equal. Having studied many languages, I can attest to the fact that some languages simply lack mechanical features that our Western languages have. Of course, one can make due without these features, and the numerous books which have been translated from more primitive languages (such as Japanese) prove that there can be "good writing" even in a more primitive language.

They have differences in complexity. Just in terms of tenses, English is less complex than languages like Greek, which makes translating certain things faithfully (like a certain very famous book) nearly impossible without pages of annotations.

Hey dude Im a linguistic and you are full of shit.
Languages dont come in tiers nor are they always evolving to a more perfect form
They are alive and change to suit the needs of its users there are plenty of ways a japanese person can express himself with that does not exist in English and viceversa

Ancient Greek and Latin were the most highly developed in history. Modern languages, English included, are mostly a corruption of those due to contact with lesser, uncivilized tribes from outside the empire. However, Western languages still retain some of their influence, and are therefore superior to languages like Japanese that were never under Roman rule.

More complex/harder to use does not mean better. Its just how things turned out, its all a very random process after all.

Why do you bring up tenses but then start talking about infinitives, gerunds, etc? Also why did you capitalize those words? Do you even know what tense means? And do you know proper capitalization rules?

>watches only shonenshit and haremshit
>comes from reddit or Sup Forums
>complains about bad writing
Fuck off retard

>Fate
>good writing
pick one

Is this what american education teaches you?
Languages cannot be measured by development.

>a manga
>a manga
>a VN

I didn't say better. But a more complex language is by its very nature more comprehensive and useful than a less complex one. Think about "Newspeak" from 1984. It's a dumbed-down language that existed to make certain ideas literally inexpressible. It is by all rights a worse language than English.

I'm not saying anything about Japanese, I'm just very interested in language.

I never said that. I said that there are, in my opinion, some languages that are better than others. I never said, either, that they are evolving into a more perfect form. English is actually regressing in my opinion. I said that there are great Western languages that have more "features" than Japanese, which you also admit. In addition, I question weather you actually read my full post because I also affirm, as you do, that there have been great literary successes in Japan translated abroad despite its lack of "features"
Of course I know what tenses are. Past Present Future (many languages have more than that, for example English has Progressive Tenses and Perfect Tenses). Infinitives, gerunds, etc. I listed because they are great things that came about due to our great Western languages. I, of course, know the capitalization rules of English but I am very tired and exhausted, so excuse my poor usages.

Easy there, nerd.

because japanese has more specific verbs than us for the future. oku, naru, tsumori. i can't believe you wrote all that nonsense but don't even know the basics.

Is this supposed to be sarcasm.

Progressive is an aspect not a tense you dipshit. You can have the present progressive ("You are being a fucking retard"), the past progressive ("You were being a fucking retard"), and so on, but not just progressive by itself. Same goes for perfect. Infinitives and gerunds are modified forms of verbs that aren't even close to tenses or aspects.

I know that. But I did not want to write the same thing nine more times
Past Progressive
Past Perfect
Past Perfect Progressive
etc.
Because I am lazy and that would be a long ass list.

>OPs example came from an LN
Fuck off.

Pic not related?

I don't think re:zero has bad writing at all. Certainly not citizen kane, but if anything, it has bad storytelling rather than writing.

Japanese has an imperative tense, progressive tense, and gerunds. It actually makes more distinction between progressive tense and gerunds than English, which rather messily lumps both into adding "-ing" to a verb.

Japanese also has a rather elaborate system for indicating the social status of the listener relative to the speaker, which is not too common in other languages.

tldr; different languages are different and do different things. Latin is not "better" for having a billion declensions, cases, and conjugations.

OP didn't say pic related.
Checkmate atheist.

>name me a series with good writing
>Protip: You Can't

so no one can convince you but you want them to, and this somehow isn't a rec thread?

Yeah, no.

It's possible to be concise without misusing technical terms. In any case, I don't think an autistically complex verb system like what Russian has is indicative of being a superior language.

I haven't even watched that thing and I can guarantee you that it has dogshit writing or storytelling which by the way I have no idea how you can separate them.

you can have good writing fucked by bad storytelling or have a strong plot ruined by awful writing.

>Protip: You Can't
Wow hownew.ru

But how do you tell the difference?

Russian is less "good" in my opinion because it does not follow a Latin alphabet (like all Eastern languages, it must be "romanized")
>Japanese has an imperative tense, progressive tense, and gerunds. It actually makes more distinction between progressive tense and gerunds than English, which rather messily lumps both into adding "-ing" to a verb.
Well that confusion in English just happens to do with the fact that our progressive form and gerund happen to share the same ending. It does not have to be this way.

Are you kidding me? The Latin alphabet is shit-tier for anything that's not Latin or closely related to it. Just look how badly English abuses the Latin alphabet. Better to have a system where you can actually spell things phonetically and understandably.

No anime/manga/VN is perfect, but my god does Umineko come close to literary perfection. Words do not describe how close to perfection it comes. Like if you tried to get to 1 from 0 by dividing the remaining difference by 2, that's how close to perfection it comes.

The inconsistencies of pronunciation of English words is due to the varying etymologies of the words. It is also complicated because English, unlike other Latin languages, lacks accent markings. Romance languages show Latin alphabet "done right"

>tfw Stephen A Smith somehow ends up on Sup Forums

it's "perfect" and "imperfect". Also that's bullshit. Japanese most certainly has infinitives, (which are unconjugated verb forms) and imperative and...I'm not going to bother finishing because you're so full of shit.

>Why is writing in anime always fucking terrible?

watch better anime you damn loser

>I haven't even watched that thing
Fuck off you Pretentious retard

There is nothing wrong with Re Zero

YAMETE!

Cringe'd

>callling anyone a loser, when you browse Sup Forums, Sup Forums and watches anime
hahahaha. Shit guide btw, kill yourself.

>the maids arc
>interesting plot of satoru gaining the trust of people who will kill him
>get to know the personalities of every character in the mansion
>get to know what causes those characters to kill him
>this is gonna have a cool conclusion
>hey remember that one time Satoru went to the village to buy some shit?
>WELL THE PLOT IS NOW ABOUT THAT INSTEAD
>GOTTA SAVE THOSE KIDS THAT WE SAW FOR 45 SECONDS EACH EPISODE
>I FEEL A MASSIVE EMOTIONAL ATTACHMENT TO THEM AND THE VILLAGE
>LOL FIGHTING GENERIC ANIME FANTASY WOLVES
but why

>thread is about writing as in how a plot/characters is developed
>suddenly it turns into a pure semantic argument between a couple of autists that took it far too literally

>satoru
Come again?

Dude compare Japanese simplicity to Spanish, Russian, German and French. I studied Japanese for a year, the hardest thing so far is the writing, the rest is a piece of cake. Easier than english, which is a broken simplified language

But see this way they can keep being right and not accidentally say something uninformed, like an opinion, on an anonymous image board and feel intellectually inadequate

>>callling anyone a loser, when you browse Sup Forums, Sup Forums and watches anime
>hahahaha. Shit guide btw, kill yourself.
you are as bad as him desu

fuck i got my chink names mixed up
Subaru then ya cunt

>calling anyone an autist while posting weeb shit
Ayy

You don't seem to understand at all user
i'm not going to try to explain it to you because you won't get it you didn't pay enough attention and are just trying to hate it

The state of this board is very depressing.

>streaming
Fuck off.

I think twelve kingdoms handles teenage angst and problems in early tomes really well.

Kek

>Streaming
>>>reddit

I wish they were all out in English. One of the few LN I could read in public since Spice & Wolf stopped including the dust jackets.

I miss it

>Subaru dies from the curse multiple times before figuring out what it is
>gets killed by rem proving that he can't leave the mansion to resolve the issue because he's suspicious (which is still relevant afterwards)
>gets rem killed instead and resolves himself to fix it

>wah why isn't he snooping around these people who can clearly mawl him in seconds
>wah why would anyone want to save children look at me im so edgy lmao xD

Evangelion. If you think it's bad, you just don't get it.

I get that he got cursed, it just seems like such a stupid direction to take the plot.

We get presented with all these interesting characters and motivations for each one. Why the fuck did the writing just take a huge turn away from that all of a sudden?

As soon as Subaru starting fighting the wolves, any fear I had of him dying and going back to his save point was lost. It immediately gave him the readily apparent plot armor of any anime protagonist.

The whole resolution was also pretty unsatisfying. I don't really give nearly as much as a shit now about clownman's motivations than I did in the maid arc.

I don't know anything about those villagers, so I didn't really give a shit if they died, past the point that it would hit Subaru pretty hard.

That's everything off the top of my head. I'm not trying to hate it, it just makes me frustrated that the author doesn't seem to know what to do with these plots he's set up, so he goes in a completely different and generic direction instead.

It's the same logic he used to kill off Rem. "Oh fuck I made this female character WAAAAY more interesting than the main heroine. Better kill her off using the plot devices I currently have."

Go ahead and interpret it as a 2deep4u message, I'm calling it bad writing.

Thank you user

People don't even watch anime on Sup Forums anymore. Its shitposting for the sake of shitposting more often than not.

Been especially bad this last year with the swarm of newfriends.

Well that's just your opinion nothing actually wrong with the show

Do you think that Sup Forums with ever return to it's golden age?

People say that every year.

>read in public
As in paper and cover? Why not use ebook?

Tamako Market.

no

Sup Forums as a whole is worse than it was 7 years ago. Being ironically edgy brought in the unironically edgy people and they statued. Also Sup Forums exists so there's no hope for this site.

Because autism. Is that the reply you're looking for.

Writing is about using language to communicate effectively. Story is about having something worth communicating in the first place.
Tolkien was a great writer, but no amount of rhetorical mastery can make Tom Bombadil not shit.

Why is OP always a faggot complainer

Name me an anime OP wouldn't complain about
you cant

Plotwise, I completely agree with what Subaru did. That's not the issue I have here.

I'm talking about the faggot that MADE that plot. The mansion which seems incredibly comfy quickly becomes incredibly dangerous and mysterious.
Rather than keep that danger and mystery within the mansion and resolve it there, the author leads the plot away to a village that we hardly see at all with characters we don't know.
I don't give nearly as much as a shit about random farmer #20 than Rem or Rom, so it means far less when one of them are in danger.

It was also apparent Subaru wasn't going to die in that loop, not because he resolved the conflict, but because the conflict went on for so long.
In the first time loop, I was nervous he would die at any moment, and they made it clear he could die at any moment from the stupidest shit.
Up until the resolution of that loop, I had my anus clenched. Even with the final gag of the club not blocking his bowels at all I STILL was afraid he would die.
I wasn't afraid he was going to die in the wolf fight because I know he was given plot armor to avoid the hassle of redoing every plot point they had done since the beginning of that loop.

The third loop's beginning and the suffering Subaru went through during it were really good shit. It sets up pretty early that Subaru has to atone for what he royally fucked up.
So after the author establishes that Subaru fucked up and is willing to change, he proceeds to have the cast go fight a big ass flying whale rather than the cult we grew to hate.
That's lazy ass writing to connect Subaru and military girl and seems like an excuse to have a massive fight for no reason about something we don't give a fuck about.

And yeah that's about it so far. Haven't picked it up passed killing finger bitch. Does it get any better?

>not owning a bookshelf full of physical copies

I want old Sup Forums back

buy the books you like and pirate them to read outside or when they aren't released

The Whale needed to be killed it was a ally to the witch cult

>stupid whale
Well, they did say that he is blocking the quickest path so it was necessary.

I started watchig anime the last week: The thread

Butterfly effect and all that. Bad shit in the mansion happens because of lolibitch in the village. Bad shit still traces back to the mansion as Roswaal allowed the dogs to attack in order to test Subaru.

The whale is a pet of the Archbishop of Gluttony.

Re Zero is one of the worst anime I have ever dropped, worse than Naruto fillers.
Unbearable cringefest, I cannot fathom how a person above 12 years old can like this stuff.

It's like Bleach, the author can come up with interesting characters and settings but doesn't do anything interesting with them, right down to neglecting the main heroine. He attempts to cover up that flaw by just introducing more of them.

It's literally to deep for you

No, fuck you, Re Zero is shallow as hell, other LNs are way better written.

Transparent v fags posting your non Sup Forums images, along with obligatory underage fictitious oldfag status

You look ridiculous and its obvious why you post anonymously - lurk more

>I don't like what happens
>It's badly written, because everything in the world is supposed to conform to my opinion

When Subaru sees Rem get tortured to death right in front of him, followed by furfriend going to end the world, and THEN seeing the white whale floating around in the background, my mind wasn't too focused on the whale. It was the means to save these people who were brutally killed.
If at least some of the people were killed by the whale, maybe even Emilia, I would give quite a bit more of a fuck about fighting the whale and the whale fight would have been a lot more intense.

If you want to show me the patience Subaru had gotten to the point of saving everyone in the most calm and collected way possible, that might not have been the time to bring up the plot point of the whale. The whale didn't kill anyone at the mansion, and the goal of Subaru is to save the people at the mansion. Going off and exploring the idea of this big and freaky ass monster while he's working towards this goal just muddles up things a bit. Having him go after the whale later on when it's more relevant would have had me more invested in that fight. The author tried to kick up some investment based on the attitudes and experiences of the various characters going to fight the whale, but I didn't really know those characters well enough for it to have that much of an effect.

I'm not saying Subaru shouldn't have killed the whale in that situation, I'm saying the writer shouldn't have put the whale there to begin with. I actually really like Subaru a lot as a protagonist.

That sounds interesting, so I'll pick it back up. Still hurts that I know Subaru won't die anytime soon from where I left off because of how long he's been in his current loop.