Surveying Sup Forums

Serious question, Sup Forums.

I'm working on a research proposal for my graduate degree. My proposal explores media portrayals of Sup Forums, particularly Sup Forums, as seen by users themselves.

I'm hoping to do some sort of survey, but I'm worried that - this being Sup Forums - the results would be... suspect.

I've been an active user here for about a decade, so when a professor (who doesn't understand Sup Forums) tells me that a simple survey link would probably get honest results, I know that he has no idea what he'd be getting into with that.

TL;DR How do I survey Sup Forums without being trolled?

>How do I survey Sup Forums without being trolled?
By following the party line and accepting that truth has no place in academia.

News got out today that Kevin Spacey drunkenly tried to smash a 14 year old boy but somehow you're the still the biggest faggot of the past 24 hours.

this

just strawpoll Sup Forums and tell your teacher it's pol

Yeah, but what I'm hoping to find would actually be pretty good for Sup Forums and pretty anti-media.

Fair point.

Hahaha - but seriously, I'm hoping to eventually publish (which would be discovered). Most research on this is done with content analysis - nobody has tried reaching out and actually surveying the Sup Forums user base (Nissenbaum, Citron, Phillips, etc.).

As much as I know that it's problematic, I think it's worth a shot.

>Yeah, but
So you're merely pretending to agree with me!? Poor form.

Yes

Make the poll in a way that gets people to answer honestly.

I saw a study showing a correlation between a youtube video being posted on Sup Forums and negativity about the subject online, kek.

>graduate degree in Sup Forums

I have no more words.

Protip: Do not feed niggers!!!

Define the study to where even the troll outliers are taken into account. That way you're not selectively picking which responses seem genuine.

Make the "survey" troll-proof by allowing the trolls answers to be taken seriously.

No, in general (about academia writ large) I agree. But in this case it would actually be adding truth to an otherwise misinformed body of work.

I'm mostly worried that it'd be hard to decipher the honest from the trolling (outside of the obvious trolling).

Link?

Graduate Degree in Mass Communications: the research would be about media framing and agenda setting, using Sup Forums as an example because of its cultural impact online and its ephemerality in both content and users.

>I'm worried that - this being Sup Forums - the results would be... suspect.

Are you trying to do research or just goal-seek your results, you fucking faggot.

This is actually a really interesting idea - essentially let Sup Forums decide how it wants the outcome to be? Less of an individual survey and more of a collective survey?

Not sure how that would work, but I'll definitely look into it. Thanks.

I think the premise of this study is wrong. Trolling is part of Sup Forums. You should have faith though that most Anons would answer honestly.

Research, but I have a theory that I'm testing and I'd like to have the most accurate results so that I can actually see if both my theory and my personal opinions hold water.

I'm not pretending to be impartial, but my research methods would be coded to reduce any bias (and make the results replicable).

Fair enough - trust is a good thing. I'm just asking a lot of the university and want to make sure that I end up with usable data. I do think that I'd get more honest answers on Sup Forums than on Sup Forums, though.

Also this fucking captcha every damn second.

Why don’t u include a throwaway email address people could email feedback too

Also a good idea - thanks

Are you familiar with survey designing? There's some topics regarding how to ask potentially embarrassing questions that the researcher suspects won't be answered honestly. There might be a way to design the questionnaire that can minimize suspected trolling. I've never designed a questionnaire where we've suspected that the population would deliberately fuck with us, so I can't help you there. Talk to your stats department and see if they have any ideas.

Meeting with my supervising professor in the morning.

I know some basics, but not enough to know how to screen for the people deliberately fucking with the data.

Impossible. Too many lurking variables. There's no possibility for randomization and lack of bias.

The embarrassing question trick is (generally, assuming a question with two possible answers, A or B) to get the respondent to toss a coin and answer A if heads or answer truthfully if tails.
I'm sure there's a way to get what you're after here, but you're probably going to need help from someone with a statistics background.

For sure - just wanted to see if anyone on Sup Forums could think of the best way to present the survey that would attract serious answers.

Side note: if anyone is every interested in actually seeing the literature on Sup Forums, it's insanely fascinating. There's just not enough of it, though.

What do you mean? Links me

A recent graduate here.

>I'm working on a research proposal for my graduate degree.
A degree on what?

>My proposal explores media portrayals of Sup Forums, particularly Sup Forums, as seen by users themselves.
You propose subjective research where you need honest answers to have any serious scientific value. Ur doing it wrong if you think you can get Sup Forums to attend so that your sample size does not suck.

> a professor (who doesn't understand Sup Forums) tells me that a simple survey link would probably get honest results
Riiiight. And when he interviews comics, he expects the comic to give only serious answers.

>I know that he has no idea what he'd be getting into with that.
Given your goal, it does not seem you are either. You end up making a shitty research unless you figure out how to make the thesis without relying Sup Forums in being honest and give unbiased (non-exaggerated) opinion. With a sample size that would give reliability to the research.

If I were you, I would just collect news from Sup Forums and evaluate truthfulness of their claims about Sup Forums.

So I might do it in this way:
1. collect news
2. collect claims made in the news (=potrayal about Sup Forums)
3. Evaluate personally about the truthfulness and back those opinions with observations found in Sup Forums
4. make a true/false survey from the claims and send it to the news organizations you collected the news from
5. compare, draw conclusions

You can not get reliable data from Sup Forums users and on scientific point of view - why does the opinions of Sup Forums matter on how they feel about media portrayals. You would have to first prove that people care. No? The method I suggested would research the bias level of the source material (reporters on news agencies) and I personally think it's more relevant than how people feel about X.

>How do I survey Sup Forums without being trolled?
Blackmail?

>Serious question, Sup Forums.
Serious statement, OP is a faggot

There is absolutely no way you can convince me that any kind of fucking survey/poll/rigorous analysis of what Sup Forums *really* is won't be an enormous pile of shit. And if there is somehow a way that you can make an interesting ""analysis"" that somehow all other bloggers and thinkers and whatever have missed, then there is still the problem of it being inadmissable and raped in academia. Btw, I don't even believe that you've been here for a decade and actually think you can poll this place. It might just be ordinary journalist/social scientist hubris, or it might not be, understand? Do you understand that anything you'll come up with will be A) a terrible representation and B) probably riddled with your personal faggotry? If you want to learn something about Sup Forums and tell the world, academia is not the place to do it. But you should already know that.

strawpoll
no meme answers

many different strawpoll links for different questions
make the first few questions/links general uninteresting red herring questions
this will weed out most trolls
dedicated survey-takers will complete all survey questions giving you the most honest answers on the backend

To add: no survey is "data" and no survey is "replicable". You're gonna go in with a pre-fabricated theory of the kind of "thing" you're interested in and ask/interpret questions in a certain direction. That's what social scientists do, and it's not science or even empirical just because it has statistics and graphs.

Have u gone through the archives and looked for patterns?

Can u do this and post the results? I'd quite like to read it, and I'll give you an amount of digital crypto shekels

>Yfw pol scholarship saves you from corporate life