Kimi no Na wa

youtu.be/PPY79IvW1as
>#1 in the Japanese box office for more than 3 weeks and quickly went beyond its projected gross of 6 billion Yen
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-09-12/makoto-shinkai-your-name-film-earns-6.2-billion-yen-tops-box-office-for-3rd-week/.106357
>Overwhelmingly positive reception from critics and fans alike
>Hailed as ushering the beginning of a new age in anime
>Novelization and soundtrack selling like hotcakes to boot

So we can all agree that the only ones talking shit about Shinkai and this movie are contrarians, autists, angry Shaftfags and KyoAnuslickers, and typical shitposters who probably haven't even seen this movie, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VA8y3jYg7xs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How come? It's so bad.

(You)

I literally just finished it and it was anything but bad.

Yes, no one is allowed to dislike things that sell well.

When things that sell well are memeshit like Marvel capeshit and Re Zero, then you can hate them, but when they're films like Kimi no Na wa, you're supposed to like them.

This.

>when I like them, you should like them
So it has literally nothing to do with sales and you're just shitposting? Nice.

Waiting for the bluray is pure and true suffering.

Marvel capeshit and Re Zero earned their popularity through memes, quips for the former and cheap suffering for the latter. Kimi no Na wa earned its popularity through a gripping story and beautiful animation.

It'll probably get an international theatrical release by the end of this year. Be patient user.

It makes you think when the most successful movie in one of the most developed countries in the world is a 2D romance animation movie.
Truly Japan is a wonderful place.

I'm afraid of a theater shooting.

>Kimi no Na wa in its 4th week still topping the chart and mercilessly BTFO Koe no Katachi
Imagine the asspain it will cause.

My takeaway from it was that Shinkai's been improving in the areas where he's normally been weak. The story, while not anything special, definitely has better execution than what we got in some his earlier works. As for the art-style/animation, it's fantastic as usual. The LSD sequence when Taki drinks the sake was pretty amazing.

That's only if you go see a major Hollywood blockbuster movie on premiere night. This is a limited screening that'll only have a handful of people at the theater, so it's not a viable target for psychopaths.

This poor thing won't stand a chance.
youtube.com/watch?v=VA8y3jYg7xs

Again, you're just saying "it's okay to like popular things as long as they're good," which has pretty much nothing to do with popularity.

Is there a decent quality rip of this yet? I've only found the 480p hardsubbed one.

Nope, that's all we got so far.

Is this the end for KyoAni? People will be burnt out of anime movies after this and no one will go see that deaf movie.

Agreed. Shinkai has been improving over the years and Kimi no Na wa is the culmination of his entire career.

Fastest Films to ¥7 billion (30 Days or Less)

16 days - Spirited Away (2001)
17 - Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
17 - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)
18 - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)
19 - Alice in Wonderland (2010)
20 - Your Name. (2016)
20 - Bayside Shakedown: Save the Rainbow Bridge! (2003)
22 - Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)*
22 - The Matrix Reloaded (2003)
23 - Frozen (2014)
23 - Ponyo (2008)
23 - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)
23 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)
25 - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)
26 - Jurassic World (2015)
26 - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)
29 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 (2011)
30 - The Wind Rises (2013)
30 - Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)
30 - The Da Vinci Code (2006)

Kimi no Na wa will end in the top 10 of highest grossing films in Japan.

It's viewable if don't blow it up to fullscreen.

Good film while a little cliche, people that have a strong dislike of shinkai's work will probably won't enjoy this film.

The movie to me feels like a surreal product, it's very anime-like "structure wise" while trying to be have it's own voice as a serious film. It's like an truly amazing fake of what the story could have been strangely enough. I dunno the movie is an enigma for me. Might have to rewatch it when it's release over in the west or when the BDs drops.

Holy shit. This movie's bigger than I thought.

Flopgatari suffered the most. It appears that it won't even gross 500m.

How much did it cost to produce the film? Because Hollywood tells me that a film of 100 million will only break even if makes 400 million, without accounting for Hollywood accounting. With Hollywood accounting, movies like Harry Potter, Star Wars, and Forrest Grump were failures because didn't make profit, according to the studios.

When do I get to watch this? Japan hasn't been this excited over an original animated movie since Summer Wars.

The Normies took Shinkai away from me. Now I can't like him, because every body else knows his name, and I don't want to be seen as trendy. Any anons here can recommend a relatively obscure, yet talented anime director?

Japan's Weekly Light Novel Rankings for Sep 5 - 11

Rank / This week's sales by copies / Cumulative sales / Titles

*1. 106,418 552,099 Kimi no Na wa. (Kadokawa Bunko)
*2. *52,802 *52,802 Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Vol.20
*3. *19,874 *58,440 Kimi no Na wa. (Kadokawa Tsubasa Bunko)
*4. *17,282 *76,125 Kagerou Daze Vol.7
*5. *14,297 *83,712 Kotonoha no Niwa
*6. *12,832 *12,832 Hataraku Maou-sama! 0 Vol.2
*7. *12,304 110,514 No Game No Life Vol.9
*8. *11,977 *11,977 Shinsetsu Ookami to Koushinryou: Ookami to Youhishi
*9. *11,856 *69,783 Byousoku 5 Centimeter (Kadokawa Bunko)
10. *11,814 *11,814 Ookami to Koushinryou Vol.18

11. *10,055 253,801 Sword Art Online Vol.18
12. **9,107 **9,107 Heavy Object Vol.12
13. **7,496 **7,496 Koushaku Reijou no Tashinami Vol.3
14. **6,237 **6,237 Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen Part 3 Vol.1
15. **5,197 *35,728 Okitegami Kyouko no Kakeibo

LN sales are great too, last LN crossed 500K is Biblia.

No but we can tell you to fuck off back to/r9k/.

Muh dick, can't wait for the BD.

Who did the character designs? They're much more endearing than the ones in Shinkai's previous movies and may have accounted for part of the positive reception.

>Shinkai beating Onii-sama
Holy shit, everything otaku related is getting completely BTFO.

You should have directed him to Sup Forums. Sup Forums is far more hipster.

Masayoshi Tanaka, the same guy who did the character designs for Ano-Hana and Anthem of the Heart.
Yes, the guy who designed Menma did the character designs for Kimi no Na wa.

Why is there so much Chuuni pandering? Goddamn, and I thought American sci-fi literature was on its knees.

Yes but /r9k/ is far more autistic so it's more fitting for this user.

>so much Chuuni pandering
Other than Mahouka and Kagerou that list isn't so bad.

wew
I knew the style looked vaguely familiar but couldn't place it.

So is the anime industry FINALLY gonna stop pandering to otaku and focus on making good shit?

Define "good shit".

Why would it do that?

Stuff that's objectively good. Doesn't matter what genre or demographic it is.

>objectively good
Define that.

Kill yourself.

Japs can't into endings.

There needs to be more art for cake Mitsuha.

>contrarians, autists, angry Shaftfags and KyoAnuslickers
Nope, definitely not a shitty studio wars troll thread.

>kimi no na wa isn't otaku pandering

So it's a body switch movie? Why the fuck are they making such a big deal out of it?

Because you're too autistic to figure the answer out yourself.

>earned their popularity through memes
Eat some death cup you shitty nigger.

the same happened with Avatar.
do you still remember Avatar?

So, how many of you fags are also waiting for BDs in order to watch it?
>yfw it will take more than a year

>>>/mal/

Avatar did well because James Cameron. Nothing more, nothing less.

exact same shit here

But he's right.

>Normies

>anime
>not otaku related
>3D reaction image.

Your Name did well because Makoto Shinkai. Nothing more, nothing less.

>objectively good
i.e. stuff I like

Give me a reason for Re Zero's popularity that isn't a meme.

First define meme you dumb nigger, and shit's popular because of muhhh grimdark shitty broken MC.

Avatar did well because of revolutionary graphics. Kimi no Na wa did well because it has more than pretty pictures. Years later you'll still be able to quote lines from Kimi no Na wa, but you wouldn't be able to do the same with Avatar.

A meme is something that is popular only because other people like it, not because of its actual merit. Re Zero is popular because its initial audience was turned on by its cheap suffering. They spammed social media to give the illusion of actual popularity, causing a popularity spiral that roped in anime normalfags who only like something because other people like it.

Where's my manga? The 5cm manga did a good job at expanding some shit, I want one for this one too so I don't have to wait on BDs.

> Years later you'll still be able to quote lines from Kimi no Na wa
I highly fucking doubt it.

I'm not driving 4 hrs to LA or SF just to spend 2 in a movie theater, then another 4 to get back.

Funny because isn't that exactly why Kimi no na wa is popular? All everyone has been saying is it has incredibly word of mouth popularity

You probably would if Japanese is your first language. Not so much if your first language is English.

I can still quote lines from the Star Wars prequels, and they are definitely worse films than Kimi no Na wa. Some examples:

>you turned her against me
>my allegiance is to the republic, to democracy
>it's treason then
>unlimited power
>sith lords are our specialty

God damn it Anonymous you're such a fucking nerd.

The movie would have been so much better if they hugged each other at their twilight meeting and without the "I LOVE YOU" writing in her palm.

Prove me wrong.

The director is a hack.

Japan has shit taste.

I wonder how much of that is you actually remembering the lines on your own or if you just see all the memes on Sup Forums

The ability to quote something can hardly be related to its quality.

One other thing that defines a meme is that the thing that sparks the popularity spiral has to be shallow and vapid. In Re Zero's example, it uses suffering and waifubait to tug at people's strings. Then when normalfags start liking it, they only like it because it's popular, when if it was actual art, they would be able to list why reasons why they like it. For example, if you asked someone why they like Marvel capeshit, they would respond with "the quips were funny" or "CGI explosions." But if you asked someone why they liked Batman vs Superman, they would say they liked it because of the beautiful symbolism that enhances its storytelling and its gripping political commentary.

>if they hugged each other
That's not how Shinkai movies work. It's almost if you don't know shit about this guy.
Surely this isn't the case as any user posting on this thread sure have enough medium culture to understand that, r-right?

>A meme is something that is popular only because other people like it, not because of its actual merit.
Read a book nigger.

>otaku is dead
>otaku don't need to be your audience

fuck off and go back to your containment zone
>>>/tumblr/

You want book examples? Harry Potter is an example of a meme. The first book was a well put together children's book, but time went on and the storytelling declined in quality. Nevertheless, its popularity continued and even increased because for many of its readers, the only reason they liked it was that it was popular.

6 billion yen? So like, what, 300 dollars?

He wasn't talking about how Shinkai movies work user.
All you did with your post was confirming what a hack Shinkai is. Good job.

60 million USD.

Chat Conversation Start
FRI 1:08PM
FRI 11:40PM
SAT 9:59PM
SUN 12:30PM
SUN 8:41PM
MON 10:01PM
good shit go౦ԁ sHit thats some goodshit rightthere rightthere if i do ƽaү so my self i say so thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ Good shit

>if you don't like it you're a contrarian
OK OP.

I'm actually highly disappointed that this'll make Shinkai only more popular. He's probably the most mediocre large-name director in Japan.

>what a hack
>look guys I'm using a cool word, am I cool already?

>if you asked someone why they like Marvel capeshit, they would respond with "the quips were funny" or "CGI explosions."
Really that depends on a persons ability to articulate their opinion, you could just as easily say "good story" or "meaningful character arcs", you're strawmanning pretty hard here buddy.

Koe no Katachi is now guaranteed success because of Kimi no Na wa.

>the way Shinkai choose to end his movies got nothing to do with how his movies work
Yeah, nice try.
If you can't even understand his style, how do you expect to discuss this movie?
Just leave already.

>you could just as easily say "good story" or "meaningful character arcs"

But when they do, and you press them more and ask why they think the story or characters were good, they have no response. They can only say "other people say it's good, and it's popular, therefore it must be good." Same with Re Zero. They can't properly articulate why they think the story is good (mainly because it's not), and if you asked them why Rem is a good character, they can only list waifubait characteristics and how she is defined by the protagonist's dick. A further example of the definition of a meme is the idea that Donald Trump is racist. Donald Trump isn't actually racist, but since the media and their liberal friends say he's racist, the average person thinks he's racist. But once they are asked why they think Donald Trump is racist, they stumble and fall.