Hi Sup Forums, what are your opinions on low to medium doses of prescribed ADHD Medication such as ritalin or concerta...

Hi Sup Forums, what are your opinions on low to medium doses of prescribed ADHD Medication such as ritalin or concerta? Should the government allow these drugs to be prescribed? Do you believe there are cases that call for it? How over prescribed do you think these medications are? Has anyone here been prescribed these medications before or are you currently taking them?

I suffer from dyspraxia, a neurological disorder which mainly affects signals in the brain responsible for coordination but also has other
less obvious symptoms. I slur my words and cannot finish any hand writing tasks because my brain cannot produce the correct signals to operate my hands, it also affects my posture and gross motor control, dyspraxia also has neuro-behavioral affects that cause issues with planning and memory. On top of that I also have ADD, which adds a whole other level of difficult to seemingly every day tasks like getting ready in the morning and studying. I've tried cognitive behavioral therapy and physical therapy to help with my Dyspraxia and ADD but they only help so much. I was prescribed Ritalin recently, and though I was reluctant at first its made a world of difference with both disorders. I can now read and write for extended periods of time, remember more and I'm less clumsy, and more motivated. Issues I've had since I was a child have completely diapered. I am in university at the moment, and in the past it would take me 3 or 4 hours of study and work to complete assignments that were supposed to take and hour, now I can complete them in the expected time and my self esteem is through the roof because of this. These disorders were only discovered later in my life because teachers while i was in elementary school never spoke to my parents about the obvious issues I was having. For the last 3 years of elementary school I was handing in next to 0 work because I couldnt keep up with the pace at which we were studying. Is my case acceptable or still degenerate?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1909523/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Gas the kikes race war now.

tl;dr op is a retard

When I had my psychiatric evaluation to determine what issues I had I was given an I.Q test, I tested at 134 on a non-verbal test and 140 on a verbal I.Q test, so I'm physically retarded but a bit clever.

(((prescribed)))

I feel that medicine needs to be more holistic, and not in the woo-woo way, in the actually-treat-the-environment-and-the-person way. also CORRECT DIET solves more mental illness than a thousand different drugs can.

>diapered

if your leaning curve is good you should be able to practise and improve these difficult tasks rather than blaming an illness or disease.

slightly related, have you tried illegal drugs and noted any differences?

anyone who allows themselves dependancy on any medicinal item is a weakling

I changed my diet up a bunch after reading studies about ADHD and the link to your guts microbiome. Acidic foods and fermented foods are recommended. The same additions also help with people suffering from mild autism which I found interesting. I agree with what you're saying, I think most people suffering from mental illness can benefit from a change in diet, and it makes sense of course because your gut contains a huge number of serotonin receptors and neurons. I personally think people are too quick to get medicated for things that could be corrected with diet and habit changes.

Everything in moderation. But the end goal should be to make lifestyle/diet/psychological changes that facilitate a healthy, functional life. Basically, only use such a thing if it's necessary, and no more than you need. Try to get off, if you can.

I'm glad you feel this way

I tried taking ritalin for a month and concerta for 2 months, to see if they would help me focus and remeber my studies better.
I haven't any medical issues besides very light pollen allergy.
Neither ritalin or concerta helped, even though I upped the dosage quite a bit efter a week.
I didn't feel a thing from them, not even a mild side effect.
I guess you need to have ADHD or similar to notice a change.

With the Dyspraxia there is simply nothing I can do, I'm betrayed by the physical features of my brain in a similar way to someone with cerebral palsy is. With the ADD, I noticed improvements after meditation which extended my ability to study by at least 50%. CBT also helped improve my studying, I now study in a room separate from where I sleep or do things for recreation. Without medication I do still have issues studying, I will get fatigued and frustrated/angry with work after some time and it makes it impossible to string coherent thoughts together.

I have tried some drugs in the past but not recently. Weed makes my coordination worse but I have more patience with normally frustrating tasks. Alcohol negatively effected both conditions. Acid improved my coordination but concentration was gone completely, Mushrooms made both things better. MDMA improved both issues, and it made me extremely calm, and I found it easy to think clearly and articulate myself. Caffeine mades sitting still and focusing easier but negatively effected my coordination.

>inb4 degenerate

I dont do any drugs anymore except the Ritalin. It was kind of an experimental phase when I was a teenager that lasted like 6 months.

I am genetically inferior, I have no problem admitting it. Seriously debating whether or not I have kids because I dont want them having shit genes.

Be careful.

For some people stimulants are life changing in the good way for others, like me, they are life changing in the shit way.

Stimulants completely broke my dick and it's still not right two years after stopping them. Doctors don't take it serious either.

It was nice to see you mention diet, I really dont see people bring it up often enough in regards to mental heatlh. My girlfriends sister has been going on about her "depression" recently, and has gone on SSRIS, she's very over weight and eats fast food every other day and chugs soda down non stop, and she keeps saying shit like "i just dont understand why I feel this way". I tried telling her to changer her diet but she's kind of thick, both physically and mentally, and won't even take the advice.

I've heard similar things from other people. Its strange to me because it seems if you take it when you dont have ADHD it either causes hyperactive, almost manic behavior in people, or it does nothing at all. You likely have naturally high dopamine levels, so your brain may be used to an increase in dopamine activity and may have a kind of tolerance

Maybe your dopamine/seratonin systems are out of wack because of it? What did you take? For how long? Do you have any neurological issues like ADD/ADHD or did you take stimulants recreationally?

Try getting your T and dopamine and serotonin levels checked, it shouldn't cost you much since you're in new zealand and it might help you figure out your problems. Sorry to hear that stimulants have had a negative effect on you user :/ I really wish you the best figuring it out, I had issues with my dick after spending a short time on SRRIS, took me 6 months to get back to normal. I know it can hit you hard in the self esteem.

Ritalin and then dex. Was prescribed it for ADHD but looks like I have dissociation disorder. On it for about a year and a half.

T was tested two tears back at came out at 24.2 (works out at 706ngl or whatever). I didn't know they could test serotonin but I have wondered whether the stims knocked it out of whack (I stopped dreaming after taking the stims too so...)

The government shouldn't allow them to be prescribed. People should be responsible for their own dosing decisions. They are in truth either way.

Try supplementing 5HT and Melatonin. You have to be prescribed melatonin which is bull shit but it shouldnt be difficult, just say you have difficulty sleeping and you're looking for a natural Sleep Aid. Sounds like its probably not an issue with your T. Definitely get your dopamine levels tested as well because issues with serotonin and dopamine are some of the most common causes of ED after psychological causes.

>Melatonin
I was on that for a while when I was on the stims, not sure why actually.

> dopamine levels tested as well because issues with serotonin and dopamine are some of the most common causes of ED after psychological causes.
Have thought that's likely the case, guess I'll get the urologist to check when I see them.

I don't have a problem with this as long as there is a good level of transparency and education about the drugs. I had multiple teeth extracted several weeks ago and was prescribed 8mg/500mg codeine/paracetamol tablets and was in intense pain for a week, I have no idea why I have to suffer because the governments guidelines want to treat me like a child who can't look out for my own best interests. My best interest would have been to be comfortable and to have appropriate levels of pain management available to me which they weren't.

Australia is such a nanny state shit hole when it comes to this stuff, and it doesnt even help, paracetamol overdoses are extremely common because people go overboard with their prescribed medication when they're in paid, it'd be safer to just give them codeine without the paracetamol because then at least the risk of them accidentally killing themselves because of their pain is substantially lower

The whole point of this
Is so OP can post this

i dont even have adhd but im fucked up on vyvanse right now

Idk about that lad, I've never taken drugs for it but my dyspraxia is much better than when I was in school. I fixed my balance enough to ride a bike, coordination enough to play instruments, minor motor control enough to be an artist etc. My hand still cramps badly after working traditionally for a while but I think I must grip the pencil too tightly to keep control or something.

I'm a bit blunt and unsympathetic socially, but again much of that is learned or reactionary behaviour from negative experiences with people. Anyway I believe almost anything is improvable, if the drugs help then great, and maybe my general stuff is better suited for autistic ocd tier self improvement, but find whatever works for you.

Man how much Ritalin do you take?
I was taking it for a few days and snorting 20mg literally did nothing for me
Are you supposed to take more than that?

interestingly the australian government is reluctant to accept adult adhd as real because they know when they do they will lose half their tradies to higher learning

is it even possible to be diagnosed with adult adhd in Australia?

i remember when i had Such intense tooth pain i couldnt sleep it was fucking horrible, i took some of my fathers old 30mg codeine tablets and the pain was completely gone, that was when i decided i fucking hate our government and know their main purpose is to inflict pain on us and laugh

Issues with my balance and coordination have improved a bit with the physical therapies, I can play guitar, I cannot draw or hand write at all despite years of every day practice, its unreadable. I also have a lot of issues with spacial awareness, I bump into people and things by accident, drop things, fall over, today I went to turn off my monitor and accidentally punched it and put a crack in it. I have issues with muscle density in my hands so I have to do exercises for that, its helped a bit with the strength but my hands cramp after about 10 minutes of writing or any fine motor skill work other than typing. The biggest hurdles with the Dyspraxia for me have been the issues with forming memories, especially working memories like instructions and future planning.

I believe most things are improvable through hard work, and a mind over matter mentality, things have improved for me a lot since I was younger but with the demands of Uni I struggled to get by on will alone, the drugs are helping a lot and have taken a lot of stress out of my life, I genuinely think that without the medication I wouldn't have been able to complete this school year because I was having so much trouble.

Snorting is a waste, they put binders in it that make it almost impossible for you to absorb it. Sublingual dosing, parachuting, or just swallowing it are all better options. Also dosing varies wildly from person to person, some people only need 10-15mgs and some people can need up to 60mgs without acquired tolerance. I'm on 25mgs.

>Snorting is a waste
really? I got a huge rush from it initially but after a few times it just stopped working, so i thought it was tolerance
I guess I'll try sublingual, used it to study, but it still feels great to be on

All the people I know who are tradies are actually pretty smart, they were just neglected by our shitty education system and so opted for a trade.

Thats fucked.
My mum had a hysterectomy (removal of the womb) because of cysts and polyps causing her major issues and pain, anyway she had to basically beg for stronger pain medication because she was in such horrible pain after the surgery and the shit they gave her was just an extremely low dose of morphine. Eventually she was given 5mg endone tablets which are oxycodone, so they were plenty strong, but my mum had to go through such a hassle to get the help she needed when it should have been sorted out from the beginning. I really hate our government, they really treat us like children.

If you can barely work a minimum wage job or safely drive a car without ADHD meds then yeah you should be prescribed them. If it's only a difference between only being capable of working a $15/hour job vs making $100k+/year then all you did was say the magic words for performance enhancers.

I had to come off strattera because it caused heart pain and palpitations. Feel like Charlie Gordon in Flowers for Algernon. All my powers are gone. Back to the fog ive had all my life and instantly forgetting what im meant to be doing.

God speed user. Meds are a great tool if they work. Get the most out of them and keep pushing yourself.

if you're gonna take it take amphetamines way better. it's the real deal with less side effects

>if you can barely work a minimum wage job
I can work a minimum wage job but I struggle in certain areas
>or drive a care safely
I don't drive but I assume I'm safer on medication if I do drive because it corrects my motor function problems.

That sounds like shit user, any idea why you had those side effects? Have you tried any other medication or are you happy going without?

I see meds as mostly something that evens out issues that hold me back so I can actually push myself. Hopefully I dont have any issues with them.

I dont have any side effects right now, plus I'd prefer to stick with what I'm prescribed. Theres no reason to consider doing street amps when Ritalin is just cheaper and more convenient and is giving me no issues.

Stimulants kill your testosterone levels and make you a complacent zombie.

prove it faggot? you can't

I actually work in a pharmacy and Ritalin is rarely prescribed, Concerta is a little more common. Both overall are fairly unused. Maybe I see them 1 in 1000+ scripts

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1909523/

I had my testosterone levels checked a week ago, i was at 630ng/dl

No.
I was diagnosed with ADHD and my parents refused to put me on medication. I did completely fine in life I just struggle to pay attention to my fiancee.

I am in the process of having my heart checked out. I originally went on strattera because i thought it would be more gentle as it wasn't a stimulant. Psychiatrist says its not the end of the road, but i'm to get fully checked out before we move forward.

Modafinil is god tier.

Adderall / Vyvanse is absolute poison that I was once addicted to. When I quit cold turkey due to cardio worries it was a rough few months. Probably should have tapered but w/e. 4 Years clean. Please don’t go down this road if you have an addictive personality, user

The government should back off so people with ADHD can buy their meds without asking some state-appointed dignitary for permission to use their own brains.

Not to mention being able to buy them for pennies on the dollar. The government restricts production and thereby inflates the prices.

I realize that idiots would abuse the stuff but it is the fate of idiots to ruin themselves anyway.

I wouldnt say my personality is addictive. This was more a last resort because dealing with these conditions without medication has been very hard, I'm only on the medication out of necessity.

I hope you're able to find an alternative that's not a danger to you user. Good luck. Hopefully your psych will have some other avenues to look down.

I would have thought it would be more prescribed than that, maybe its only the U.S that hands them out like candy. Its not commonly prescribed here, concerta is also more common in Australia, and also generic dexamphetamine is probably the most common.

Thats good to hear user, I know most people grow out of ADHD and ADD. I've heard American doctors essentially diagnose everyone as ADHD.

In Australia it is quite rare to be diagnosed with ADHD, and even rarer to be medicated for it.

My boyfriend said adderal makes him angry and hyperactive and it helped him get into coding. Usually he says the come down is bad. Today he was stressed and took it for the first time in like 2 years and he was a bit rude to me, very sexual as well and was not able to get hard lol. Anyway he then kept telling me he's very motivated to start coding more and that he will finally finish his project and get and internship. Problem is... I don't think he would have got the internship if he didn't do adderal. Could this like be the start of an addiction? I mean he said he wouldn't do it again and I 100% believe him. But idk how many times he has dome this in the past. The bottle was issued 2015 and only half of it is gone. It was only supposed to last 2 weeks.
Idk maybe I'm over reacting. But yeah, it did have a very bad influence on his childhood.

>In Australia it is quite rare to be diagnosed with ADHD, and even rarer to be medicated for it.

Lolno. Every man and his dog has ADHD here

What state? Never met anyone in Melbourne who was medicated for it in my entire life pretty much.

>I hope you're able to find an alternative that's not a danger to you user

Cheers bud, take care.

Real men don’t have adhd and just abuse the pills occasionally

I didn't read any of that but it sounds like your condition could be fixed by just smoking a shitton of weeed, dude

>Could this like be the start of an addiction?
For the record: No.

Blaze up that bongo brother tally ho!

Only pansies can’t keep an erection while high on stimulant narcotics