Do I have a right to my NSA surveillance profile?

I’d really be interested what they know about me. Anyone know whether you can do a freedom of information request?

Other urls found in this thread:

foia.gov/faq.html#who
foia.gov/faq.html#exclusions
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bump

No. You are German, you must be an American to have any American rights.

I'd just like to have all my memes and threads in one place in chronological order.

Google is evil. It's too bad there are no alternatives worth using.

I don’t think this is correct. I read an article about a Canadian making a freedom of information request.

Well shit you read an article, hard to argue with cold hard facts like that. I mean, I just watched a documentary about a mouse that kept hitting a cat with hammers and anvils and shit. Truly fascinating.

Yeah, pretty much this. Having a 20yr archive of everything you did online and irl would be awesome. Also, having a list of all your current and past passwords and PIN codes comes in handy.

I’d also like to read my psych analysis and threat assessment.

Trips of truth

FOIA Basics

What is the FOIA?
Enacted in 1966, The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) is a federal law that establishes the public's right to obtain information from federal government agencies. The FOIA is codified at 5 U.S.C. Section 552. "Any person" can file a FOIA request, including U.S. citizens, foreign nationals, organizations, associations, and universities. In 1974, after the Watergate scandal, the Act was amended to force greater agency compliance. It was also amended in 1996 to allow for greater access to electronic information.

Who can I send a FOIA request to?
The FOIA applies to Executive Branch departments, agencies, and offices; federal regulatory agencies; and federal corporations. Congress, the federal courts, and parts of the Executive Office of the President that function solely to advise and assist the President, are NOT subject to the FOIA. Records obtainable under the FOIA include all "agency records" - such as print documents, photographs, videos, maps, e-mail and electronic records - that were created or obtained by a Federal agency and are, at the time the request is filed, in that agency's possession and control. Agencies are required by FOIA to maintain information about how to make a FOIA request, including a handbook, reference guide, indexes, and descriptions of information locator systems. The best place to get this information is on the agencies' websites. Doing research to determine the right office to send the FOIA request to within the right component of the right agency will make your FOIA efforts more productive.

Uniroincally great post.

One way to find out.

>Generally any person – United States citizen or not – can make a FOIA request
t.foia.gov/faq.html#who

>I’d really be interested what they know about me
"The third exclusion is limited to the Federal Bureau of Investigation and protects the existence of foreign intelligence or counterintelligence, or international terrorism records when the existence of such records is classified. Records falling within an exclusion are not subject to the requirements of the FOIA."
t.foia.gov/faq.html#exclusions

so no, you don't have a right to NSA surveillance profile, but then nobody, citizen or not, does. although you do have the right to request it.

How?

I saw that one too, accept their was a black lady in it.

>Federal Bureau of Investigation and protects the existence of foreign intelligence or counterintelligence, or international terrorism records when the existence of such records is classified.

FBI and CIA

The NSA is only authorized to spy on US residents (they disregard that). So how does NSA spying fall under this exclusion?

I will not accept that. Being black is inherently evil.

I doubt you have a right, we have a similar FOI system here. Though when/if they either only give some information or none it all they should hopefully provide you with reasons why not.

>Yeah, pretty much this. Having a 20yr archive of everything you did online and irl would be awesome

Exactly. i keep everything above board so i wouldn't mind seeing it all. i paid for it to be stored i want access.

>unironically make FOIA request on self
>this prompts 0 documents but at the same time let's the nsa know you have something to hide, rest of your life monitored closely

well how bout for americans?

Perfect, so a FOIA request is a life archive onswitch?

You can request whatever you want. I don't know if you'll receive anything.

But he was right faggot

if you have a gmail/any google account, buried in the settings somewhere you can request your data

I clicked the "i want to see my data" thing and it said to come back in a few days cause it takes time to put together. got a notif in my gmail saying it was ready

the file was 9gb

can't imagine the NSA one will be much smaller, but yeah if you wanna see what it looks like there you go

The short answer is no.

A couple years back, the EFF was running an automated request system that used the NSA and GCHQ intelligence sharing connection to get full profiles released to their Americans applicants. I applied, the EFF filled paperwork on my behalf and did all the proper lawyer dance moves, and 2-3 months later i got an LOLFKU letter sent to my apartment all the way from bongland.

There have been a couple instances of people getting their profiles released, but if memory serves it was always part of an ongoing court case and even then it comes down to the judge. There have been dudes begging for it because it would support an alibi, and their request has been denied

Where does one find that option?

No.

>maps
In more remote areas most programs like maps are complete garbage

Kek

A danish journalist once used the Freedom of information request and got it. It is not limited to Americunts.