Éire/pol/ - The Feels of Athenry edition

Thread theme: youtube.com/watch?v=QV7lGmgFovM
National Party: nationalparty.ie/
Join the party and spread the word/memes in your social circles online or otherwise.

Learn Irish:
>daltai.com/
>teanglann.ie/en/

Jewtube channels of note:
>National Party: youtube.com/channel/UCxgY69mo_nUGuCDo1yPygng

>The Hateful Gaels: youtube.com/channel/UCDhuG96y6kUT7tcFgHGj1Ug

>The Don: youtube.com/channel/UCMnQHYF2DQ3I0EvrI95P83A

>Gaelic Neoreactionary: youtube.com/channel/UC--Ru-Cve1fxhZ8m8xXxeUg

Headlines:
>Train Strikes Inevitable
rte.ie/news/2017/1031/916365-rail_strike/

>Defence Forces Members Want Access to Industrial Relations Mechanisms
rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/1031/916532-defence-forces/

>SF Unprepared to Make Stormont Deal at 'any price'
rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/1031/916427-stormont-talks/

>RIRA Leader Found Guilty of Planned Bombing During Prince Charles Visit
independent.ie/irish-news/courts/real-ira-leader-found-guilty-of-planning-explosion-during-prince-charles-visit-convicted-of-directing-terrorism-in-the-state-36277192.html

>Bomb Squad Called to Shannon Airport
independent.ie/irish-news/news/bomb-squad-called-to-shannon-airport-following-security-alert-36276682.html

>Ireland Refuses to Recognize Catalonia
independent.ie/world-news/europe/ireland-will-not-accept-or-recognise-catalonias-independence-36269491.html

>Firework Thrown at Dublin Fire Brigade
thejournal.ie/dublin-fire-brigade-9-3671512-Oct2017/

>SF Calls for Catalonian Recognition
thejournal.ie/catalan-independence-ireland-3669418-Oct2017/

>Former Chieftains Member Ronnie McShane Dies in Dublin
thejournal.ie/the-chieftains-ronnie-mcshane-3672106-Oct2017
Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=By0QM8mlr28
irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/gary-o-hanlon-unhappy-after-being-denied-irish-title-by-freddy-sittuk-1.3273115
imgur.com/a/jtsdO#Ep4UvP2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

BUMP

No one to play Destiny 2 with feelsbadman

pls post irish meme's i can send to my buddy in dublin. miss him

Go play with your self sure

>playing fpshitters
>not superior gsg
your own fault desu.

check the archive of various Éire/pol/ threads

I want to play Nightfall, but it requires friends. No matchmaking ffs

I'm too dumb for those games.

Yeah, sure, go play with yourself

mangolanguages.com has a great irish language course... the best resource I've found yet... for beginners at least. Gets you right into actually using the language.

Can you learn the Donegal or Ulster dialect there?

it has Irish listed as just "Irish(standard)"... doesn't seem to differentiate. It uses different words than what I learned from duolingo, conas for how on duolingo and mango uses cén chaoi for how. If that tells you anything.

My families so gun ho Irish we celebrate the Easter Uprising. Our church holds a mass. I live in an Irish neighborhood.
Say what you will about Americans but most families who'd are not mixed to a generic black of European white, are extremely proud and celebrate Irish, Italian, Polish, Russian, German, Dutch cultures of the old world.
I'm all Irish, Ira on both sides who snuck in on Canada. I'm an American first and foremost everysingle one of my ancestors where 100% Irish.

Lol please ignore the typos.. Sorry fellas

sounds grand, you ever think of returning to the home land? or are you American only?

All American I'm I think third generation but I have family there, my one aunt just moved to London she moved to Ireland back when she was a kid my other cousin went back, and family there there that never left and are still there. I've visited about 4times. I defiantly will again. If it wasn't for my ancestors having to flee because they were IRA, on both sides, they would have never left, but they hadda get out or face the firing squad. I'll be visiting again

youtube.com/watch?v=By0QM8mlr28

Good song

Come on man, the thread theme was supposed to be Oíche Samhna

lads, i'm too tired. Oichey oichey zzZZ

Anyone hear about Gary O'Hanlon the marathon runner is pissed after being denied the Irish title by Freddy Sittuk who was born and raised in Kenya but has been in Ireland for six months. Apparently his new citizenship just came through so we can have a nog represent us now like other based cosmopolitan utopias.

irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/gary-o-hanlon-unhappy-after-being-denied-irish-title-by-freddy-sittuk-1.3273115

kek

fuckin' hell, thats a laugh.

my greatest accomplishment on this site

Hi, Irishanons

I recently took a road trip with family to NI and hope to go back soon, alone this time. Amazing how many IRA memorials there are in South Armagh, I'm putting a story about them in my book that I hope to Publish one day.

>Yann Goulet, leader of the Nazi puppet militia in Brittany, is forced to flee after WW2 because France would execute him for being a Nazi war criminal
>makes it high in the ranks of artists and academics in Ireland
>makes statues all around the country, eventually crossing the border, leaving this one on the pedestal, and leaving before he was caught
>authorities didn't want to remove it
>locals will complain about anything remotely British, but celebrate a memorial made by a Nazi militia leader

My guide in Belfast also told me stories about Nazi/Irish collaboration. I'm American and never heard this shit before. I know it's not relevant now, but it's weird history they never taught me in public school.

hahahaha

>told me stories about Nazi/Irish collaboration
The enemy of my enemy is mo chara

Things could had been much different

Lots of interesting stuff related to Irish/Nazi collaboration

For example the Germans had a propaganda radio which broadcasted to Ireland and some of it was in the Irish language so a lot of Irish speakers tuned in and loved the content

Also there were a few German paratroopers who dropped but one in particular just went to the local police station and asked for directions and nothing happened, he was eventually arrested, but MANY within the IRA were heavily Pro Nazi mainly due to their Anti British attitude hence we see the Irish gov. clamping down heavily on the IRA in order to preserve neutralty

>Otto Skorzeny, the notorious Nazi known as “Hitler’s favorite commando” and “the most dangerous man in Europe” during the World War II era, was able to settle, albeit briefly, into an idyllic existence on a 160-acre farm complete with its own luxurious mansion in County Kildare, Ireland — just 14 years after the end of the war.

I saw an article that said there's a German cemetery in Ireland that's pretty well-hidden and hard to find. Lord Har-Haw is buried there, too.

I guess I got lucky to get a Protestant as a guide for the tour, the guy I met at the Loyalist shop on Shankhill Road told me most of the guides like to glorify the IRA. There was one IRA leader and veteran of the war of Independence, who stayed in after the organization was outlawed and died on a Nazi sub as it was going to drop spies and prisoners off on the island. He was given an ocean burial and a statue at a cemetery that's commemorated every now and then by Sinn Fein. It's been attacked by well-read communists and by anti-IRA activists.

There should be a movie about it, desu

imgur.com/a/jtsdO#Ep4UvP2

I wrote a thing for the Burkean Journal and it led to a 109-comment flamewar on my Facebook page
Tremendous fun to be had.

Happens all the time in America, isn't it good enough the Kenyan won it FOR Ireland?

c'mon man, you can't just say that and not post screenshots, sounds like great craic.

Are you a Trinners student or can any student submit something?

What exactly is Samhain?

Halloween.

Holloween.
But it was not celebrated like a meme originally. It had deeper meanings back in pagan times.

Would you guys care if I bumped with some edgy memorials and murals I saw on the drive in NI? I know it's kind of a non-issue, but I want to go back and learn more about it. Just weird to see this shit in the open, and I want to do a road trip one day. NI is probably the most beautiful part of the UK

>inb4 arguments

what do you like so much about NI? And what is the best county in NI?
And sure, ya go ahead

Best county in the illegal statelet is Fermanagh and the best county in Ulster is Donegal.

Red pill me on how to get the comments to look like that, goy.

Correct answer :)

I like the nature and people as much as I like the history, desu. When I got to Crossmaglen, our car broke down and we went to a station near the hotel to ask for help. They started out by giving us the name of a repair shop down the road, but when dad said he was going to patch the car up and tell the rental place nothing happened, they gave him a place a quarter mile away that would do it for like $5, and also gave us directions to a nearby castle that was just abandoned in a field. Coming from Georgia, there's nothing like that - if a building is 150 years old, it's a tourist attraction with a parking lot.

I wouldn't know enough about the counties to make a guess but Mussenden Temple and Slieve Donard were my favorite. At the mountain, the way the sun was rising, there was a super bright rainbow that lasted all day. Amazing to think such violent shit ever happened there.

Pic semi-related, saw it on the drive to Castle Roche. The lack of any border was a bit surprising.

Except for Donegal.

>someone flies Confederate flag in Belfast
>all over the news

>this flies in Derry and London
>nobody cares

Irish descent family Amerifag here. Never been there, but I'd love to go someday. Always loved Irish culture, in large part because my mom's Irish Catholic family shilled it on me so hard in my early years.

There's a pretty cool park near Roundwood called Victor's way. The old man who runs it was a kid in Dresden when the allies bombed it while his Dad was interned in the Curragh camp in Kildare. Once the war was over, his dad brought the family over and became a very wealthy wholesaler. His son was raised in Bray but fooked off to India with his share of the loot and became an enlightened monk for 30 years before returning to Ireland to build this park with all these massive freaky hindu statues. It's worth a visit if you are every around there.

Also there's a cool German graveyard up in Glencree in the Wicklow mountains with victims of WW1 and WW2 who died in Ireland. The majority washed up on the beaches after the Germans torpedoed a British passenger ship ferrying German and Italian citizens who were living in Britain to Canada.

However there is one suicide of soldier who was sent to Ireland to make friends with the IRA. They hid him all over the country but when the war was over, the Irish authorities told him he'd have to leave Ireland. He took a cyanide capsule upon learning of his fate. His grave is the only one marked with an ornate statue.

I guess he got his wish.

Glad ye liked it. People are very civil yes. As someone who never left this island for a day, when you get Germans and english here then i can tell.

> Amazing to think such violent shit ever happened there.
Well it sure did. For generations. My Granda's brother was in the RA and the local prods pulled his whole family outta bed in the night sometimes, and terrorised them for info. He had to move to Dublin then. And my da's uncle got burnt to death in a house burning.

The word literally means 'The end of summer'
Samhradh is summer so Samhain is derivative but signifying its end.
It was the name of the harvest festival at this time and many of the practices like dressing up and going door to door come from this festival. People also lit bonfires or tine cnámh in Irish which means Bone Fires as they were made from cattle bones.

Samhain is pronounced Sow-in (sow as in female pig)
Samhradh is pronounced Sow-ra

I get that the IRA must have been good at one point, and that they did good stuff at times, but I've always wondered how people were able to convince themselves they were dong good when their organization would blow up clothing stores, pubs and Armistice Day events. I guess you have to associate yourself with some sort of group to 'get the Brits out,' but why wouldn't you attack exclusively military/police targets? It was a lot of soft targets. Prods, too - pic related was responsible for killing something like 40 Catholic civilians and he's memorialized on Shankhill Road.

Post them desu, I haven't seen them.
It's funny because Sinn Féin are always accusing another party called Fine Gael of being Blue Shirts...ie Nazis

I wonder if Scum Féin will support Irish people splintering away from the multi-culti future they want to impose on us. I'd say we could take South Leinster and a lot of Munster if it comes to it. Let's see how committed they are to self-determination then.

Can do, pic related was the first I saw, on a larger 1987 Sinn Fein memorial outside a small church just feet over the border. It's got no online presence but I saw it on old reports of a bunch of South Armagh volunteers being buried here.

I read an article from the Sinn Fein publication and thought, "poor kid," but the Independent published an article first saying he was a member of a punishment squad that had last week shot a father through both knees and elbows, then beat his son with steel pipes in front of him -- all because he was a relative of a rival republican group. The article even said that Sinn Fein would claim he was unarmed and killed in a petty non-sectarian squabble, which they did a couple days later. He's in the cemetery and memorialized behind the Crossmaglen Square Hotel on a billboard.

Gotta sleep soon, lads. Pic related is a mural supporting Tamil Eelam, which massacred Buddhist temples in Sri Lanka because "a Hindu Maoist state is inevitable." About as evil as Khmer Rouge

sure head to bed and post them in tomorrow's thread, so. It's 5:40AM here anyway.

Thanks for the pics.

It was civil war. Firstly you had the Protestant state that was hostile to the native Irish since it was founded in 2021 i think it was. The Irish got boycotted, burnt out of their homes and denied opportunities to work and good education. And of course there was the republican agenda too. It all roots back to 300 years of a bitter history, unresolved. So Catholics joined the IRA for many reasons. To protect their communities, to fight for equal opportunity and a united Ireland. so you had paramilitaries on both sides, both did horrible things on each other and it just inflamed.

Family members were terrorised and got shot, houses were burnt down, what do you want to do then? Fuck i will join up and fight these feinians\huns!
You see that is how it was. It goes back 800 years but really the feud between Irish and planter started in the 9 years war in the early 1590's.