What if public works projects and wars were opt-in things you pay taxes on?

What if public works projects and wars were opt-in things you pay taxes on?
The United States has a population of 323.1 million people, we are the third most densely populated country in the world and that’s a lot of different pennies that could be shifted around. People give to gofundme's all the time for sob stories, why not just give people the option to give more money to certain public works projects? You could even go use the petition at whitehouse gov or even just tweet the fucking President because we live in the fucking future now goddammit.
The argument for a lot of people comes down to taxes and who must pay for public works projects or wars. But if we let the people decide what they want to give their money to then everyone wins; Johnny Rightwing can decide to not pay for abortions and health insurance if he wants to and give the money that would have gone to that to instead fund new M1Abrams and MOAB’s. Billy Leftwing can do the opposite if he wants to! Plus it’s not like Uncle Sam still isn’t getting his cut for everything else, just have some minimum buy in you have pay because living in a first world country is nice.
And if you just make that an setting you can toggle on/off on a website then people will do it. Set some tier options up decide how much of your income you want going to what too, everyone has a right to decide what to do with their own money. So long as it provides results, would this be a completely retarded idea?

Am I dense? Am I retarded?

The subscriptivist in me wants to say, "Yes, of course people will do this! They'll pay for what they believe in. It's a beautiful step towards an explicit social contract."
The antitaxer wants to say, "Nope, people will sit on minimum buy-in for decades. It would be a nice idea, but they aren't going to believe in the government enough."

What kind of public works projects would be taken up early?
I think that would be critical to the project.
Start on a high note that makes people want to spend above the minimum.

What happens to an unfunded war? I bet they mostly would be.

The tax base of the economy is not necessarily as broad as would make this ideal.
Maybe mix it with a minimum threshold for voting rights.

I feel like in the modern setting we currently reside in an explicit social contract is the best way to go. The whole idea behind not being some kind of shit chucking barbarian is that you want civilization to be civil, ya know?

>What kind of public works projects would be taken up early?
Something that all the States can agree on, or at-least use in some way.

>What happens to an unfunded war? I bet they mostly would be.
Wartime could call for a return to our current tax system in regards to the military, which would cause an uproar but is still more digestible than an outright draft.

>The tax base of the economy is not necessarily as broad as would make this ideal.
Maybe mix it with a minimum threshold for voting rights.

That's not such a bad idea, then it also helps fight an unwanted immigration problem.

I feel like Trump could drum up something to get people riled up, for the first project. If it's an olive branch then Antifa and CNN will look like a bunch of stupid assholes too, which would be good for him.

Bump

Can I get this thread flagged for CIA review or something so at-least some government spook reads it?

9/11 9/11 9/11

My knee jerk reaction is intrigue desu

I love that I've been able to shift the CIA-mockery on this board to more overtly disrespectful places.

bumpity boo NWO we comin' for you

Start making people pay their federal and social security taxes every quarter (like self employed poeple have to). Literally make every taxpayer write 4 checks a year to the IRS. The ultimate redpill.

pls no 360 noscope

It could work! There are so many pay models that exist for websites like Pateron or some such shit, I feel like we could apply that to our system. Trump would go down as best POTUS if he pulls it off.

We could even use targeted ads for certain things that need funding that each individual might be interested in! We have so much Capitalist infrastructure just sitting around, we could put it to good use!

>Opt-in wars

I would gladly pay money to completely annex Ukraine and genocide the native population but alas dreams will remain dreams. Unless you completely remove the government this idea will always crash and burn

Bump/roll

Honestly can you imagine if we did away with the automatic deduction of federal taxes from everyone's paychecks and instead made each person write four big checks a year to the IRS? I can goddamn guarantee you the normies would be redpilled.

I have faith in the US and our Propaganda machines, I feel like we could make the system work by virtue of how many people we have here as opposed to there.

It would prove that American Capitalism works too, wouldn't it? That's like Trump's whole deal

You would also need some micro tax to account for necessities that aren't sexy, like sanitation. This is not a good free market solution because people are not informed consumers nor capable collaborators.

It would prove that the federal government spends too much money on too many bullshit things that dont fucking matter and has way way way too much concentrated power. This is not what the founders of this country intended when they formed this nation and it is not what the Constitution prescribes.

Make EVERYONE start writing checks to the government 4 times a year instead of auto deducting it. Quickest way to fiscal responsibility ever.

Appealing to the Government to have something declared a national emergency could also mean compulsory funding for something, or at-least a big red donate button up on google or something.

We live in the future where this is a possibility, we have to take that into account at some point. We might have to declare the internet a utility for this to work properly but that could be the first project.

Upgrade the power grid, so we can have better internet; which is something everyone goes apeshit for. It would drum up a lot of support and whoever does it would be forever be associated with the Internet.

how new are you?
CIAnigger is a meme here

>public works
Does not need to be tied to taxes and can be crowdfunded, which obviously works. Getting public goods named after you by being the highest bidder and every contributor over threshold given mention on site. You could even have shit like top contributor collects tolls up to a certain profit point on roads, so it can still be an investment.

There would need to be some minimum buy in, but that's pretty much what our taxes being taken out every year are anyway so it's not like anything has changed.
>nor capable collaborators
I feel like that's a fight for the propaganda department, we live in the age where targeted ads and deeply personal ad profiles are a thing. We could use those to get people involved.

I agree! And for the people who feel so inclined to give to some programs can do so if they please.

As long as they're honest about the quality then I think people would be okay. Like just come out and say "Look, with this amount of money we can only build X amount of houses and they won't be very sound." A few decades ago that would have been undigestible but now you just also say "Donate $25 and get a free shirt! $50 Plant FOUR Trees and get the shirt!" People would love it

Do the same for new M1Abrams treads and market that in redwing states. It would be a lot of ads for random things, but that's pretty much any Godfundme or Pateron. So why not have the Government compete with the Free Market for everyones money?

And after you make a government Crowdfunding website you make a good app for it.

To test it out you could give people the option to stay with the current tax method or opt in for the newer one. After all the normal tax method does work well enough, I'm sure some people wouldn't want to bother. That's fine though because you aren't really losing anything on those, since the ones who will opt in might be paying lower taxes.

The only thing that matters to our overlords is the the final rake. What it gets used for is a dog and pony show.

The US dollar even decoupled from petro stays the world's currency because of the relentless IRS. The American people are a cash cow unparalleled despite accepting services in return that are little more than warm shit on a paper plate.

I SPEAK FOR THE TREES

>The American people are a cash cow unparalleled despite accepting services in return that are little more than warm shit on a paper plate.

This is exactly why things like Gofundme and Pateron and Kickstarter work though, we're just a bunch of wallets walking around. That could be used as a resource though in a way that progresses the nation, which is always the idea. The obstacle is the way forward

I forgot what I saved that filename as, whoops

You know those people have to pay those taxes every 1-4 weeks and it just gets taken straight out of every check with a list of charges.

>necessities that aren't sexy, like sanitation.
You are saying cleanliness isn't sexy and you like to sex with dirty smelly hippies?

>how new are you
How do I say that I'm enjoying it in a way that doesn't make it die?
I know the usual answer would be to contribute art, but nobody wants visual art at my visart skill level, and my ability with music is blocked by my 99% inability to understand how music "communicates".

No, every week. Just like Patreon. Right in the open where people can see the weekly cost of government. Break it down by programs, too. You'll see which ones people want more of and which ones people want to see less of. What IS the weekly cost of government?

>the propaganda department
People are going to self fund a department made to collect all their personal information to make it easier to emotionally manipulate and lie to them?

No, we just them to make ads for projects that no one would normally give a shit about. That's the whole point of propaganda; you get people riled up about something.

It won't happen. Because taxes aren't designed for public works, they're designed to make you an indentured servant.

When the day of the rope comes, and we live in a post scarcity economy, then, yes.

Who is going to pay for the propaganda department that is responsible for making ads for every single government project?

Ya got me

Build it into the minimum payment. That's where it would have to be, because it's a lynchpin service for the model.

It would be better to have some sort of meme reimbursement program were anyone can contribute propaganda and the people who come up with the most persuasive arguments get some sort of voucher or tax credit because Sup Forums is basically a propaganda department people run for free, but it would be hard to measure what arguments work best.

That's a good idea, have this pepe

>Build it into the minimum payment.
Then wouldn't that significantly lower the amount of money available and to the actual programs and services since while undermining the whole voluntary nature of the system since everyone's minimum payment is being diverted to something they don't get to choose and since there are many other necessities and services that are just as much a necessary lynchpin were do you draw the line on what is compulsory and what is voluntary?

the country is already steered by the people who pay the most taxes. All your idea does is streamline the process so instead of lobbying they just drop money directly where they want to.

The real test of impact would be dollars assigned, wouldn't it? You'd be testing it by market response.
You'd never be able to fully separate the impacts of the propaganda department from the impacts generated by the service itself. Some services will have basic operations with inherent propaganda value, or will have people in the public generating propaganda for free for them, or will inspire such enthusiasm in their employees that they will BE people in the public generating propaganda for free for them.
That last set would pose a thorny problem of easy observable signals being easily faked, but at least they'd be bringing in money.

That's not a bad thing, lobbyists could even use the platform to appeal to the people for their issues.

And people who think it's stupid can just keep the current tax method, even though they would be paying more but not having to write a check every 4 months