Just get a job

>just get a job

Thats fucking illegal.

So just don't confirm?
I bet it's a 0 hours contract or some bullshit like that. Companies who make their employees all 'self employed' should be burned to the ground.

My employer literally forces us to take breaks and lunches so they aren't liable for any labour violations, I don't know one shithole job that can cancel your breaks, even when I worked in a fairly busy bar for minimum wage I got plenty of breaks.

They work at a restaurant and the boss is telling them not to come in retards

>please confirm

>*just get a good job
Food service is for niggers

but how is that they tryna be finna be not tryna pay me dat fifteen dolla wage n shit

That was the most difficult thing I've read all day.

there are no black waiters at my restaurant they do dishwashing or line cooking

>pls respond

Yea this. Big companies are pretty adamant about that kind of stuff.

Letting niggers touch your food.

What does it mean "to call someone off"?

They went to bed and woke up thinking they had work, but at 9:08 they learned they had the day off.

they overstaffed and there are not enough reservations to fit the demand so they culled the crew

They don't need you to come in. Most employers cannot force you to stay home if you are scheduled to come in, which is why he wants them to confirm.

That's what I originally thought, it just means they were cancelled.
But cancelling a certain shift is pretty normal for the hospitality business, so I thought maybe it meant something worse in this case.
Guess not.

WTF are you talking about?

most states are "right to work" states.

in those states your boss can literally call you 5 minutes before your shift and say "hey i just decided i dont want you to work here anymore dont come in"

100% legal.

You literally have no entitlement to a job in any of the states in blue, pic related.

>can't get a job
>gives up

The fuck does "right to work" mean then

When I worked at Target years ago I had to sign a waiver saying I would not join a union, or I would not be hired.

"Right to work" states make this illegal.

manager doing them a favor desu
wage rate is $2/hr
no tables, no tips, you probably make NEGATIVE money by coming in because IRS withholds at a standard rate that assumes tip income

Right to work is a separate issue as far as I'm aware. I work at a non-unionized store, but we still can't force employees to stay home if they have a shift scheduled.

you have the "right to work" without having to join a union.

You are essentially a free agent with your labor. no negotiated labor deals, no collective bargaining, ETC.

I think it is a term used to describe the legislation that prevents a closed-shop (all staff having to be a member of a particular union) scenario occurring.

However, right-to-work does not necessarily mean that the OP's situation could occur.

you are allowed to quit whenever and the company is allowed to fire you whenever. Basically its a way for companies to fire on the spot while making it seem both sides have equal power over one another.

tipped minimum wage in canada is 10 dollars lmao. waiters in canada make bank . its going up to 13 in january

It means unions can't force the businesses they work in to make all employees join or fund the unions.

That's 'at will', not 'right-to-work'.

>Waiter / Busboy / Dishwasher
You're an entry level job. Expect to deal with this shit, especially in hospitality until you get experience under your belt. This is a bad thread

Cool, I'm leaving at 4PM then.

Get a job that pays you monthly/weekly, not by the hour.

That has nothing to do with right to work.

how sway

This. It's a sensible law.

The issue is kosher companies who treat their employees like shit. But that happens regardless.

If you get a "lunch" or "break" you have a shit job.
That's for niggers that need someone managing their time like a teacher or parent.
A real job pays a salary and you are responsible for your own time management.
>no lunch break, ever

False. Right to work laws are what allow non-union members to take part in collective bargaining.

>working in a restaurant
>a job

HahahahahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you deserve exactly what you get you pathetic scum. The service industry is fucking cancer.

correct, and labor unions typically have collective bargains with employers for minimum amount of weekly hours, minimum hourly earnings, maximum weekly hours, yada yada, for all their effort the union takes fucking 5% of your paycheck and makes sure the lazy old guys dont get fired and layoffs always occur from the bottom of the totem pole up.

Is it a bad thread? We tell people to get off of benefits into any job (in the UK our benefits system is designed to get people into any work, regardless of how poor a fit it is).

This person is now 'employed', but can have their schedule torn up and thrown out the window with no notice, leaving them without any income. Oddly enough, people with entry-level work also have to pay rent and buy food, so losing a day's wages is significant.

Means you can be fired at any time and no reason given.
Because, if I'm an employer, I shouldn't have to give a reason.

I worked in a minimum wage bar once and the manager was a total fuckhead.
We were very busy one day and one of the younger girls was on the bar close meaning she would be in until about 11pm.
When the shifts started at 9am I just asked him how he wanted us to sort breaks cause we knew it was going to be a very busy day and we needed to make sure that she got a long enough break to get some lunch.
He got all insecure about me “questioning his management” and announced that everyone’s breaks that day were cancelled.

lol you eat mcdonalds daily

I agree with you, but right-to-work states have WAY less protections for workers, thats the whole fucking point.

>just get a job
you do realize when people say that they mean get a real job, not one you could feasibly see a nigger working at, right?

You're not seeing the other side of the story there m9,

Lets say you've got a concrete business. (small) 4-5 employees and yourself.

Customer calls, can't get permission for new sidewalk and patio,

Sweet, now I get to pay 4 guys who pour concrete for a living to sit around the shop and do nothing because it would be illegal to tell them they're off today.

Exact same thing was going to happen to me this morning, but the boss forgot to text me so I ended up doing really easy stuff for 4 hours or so, then went home. Probably won't work tomorrow either because of the rain. Trying to get work while you're laid off is shit.
Anybody here from southern Ontario know what the job market is like for welding/steel fabrication? In NB right now, not work at all.

>5%

Wow. You Americans sure do get taken for a ride. My union subs in the UK add up to just over £15 a month, which gives me all the expected things (collective bargaining, support if any issues arise with management and so on), as well as free legal advice and other benefits.

Then you told him this was illegal, right?

I worked as a chef for 12 years, the last 5 as a sous or head. Between the age of 23 and 28 I've been in between £24k and £45k pa which is way above average for the age group even in the low scale.
Probably whiter than you too.

This is your typical wage cuck problems if they weren't stupid they'd invested in bitcoin back in the day. They could be affording brand new cars and boats but no they're dumb wagecucks. Never feel bad for these non NEETs they make things worse and aren't human.

>makes sure the lazy old guys dont get fired and layoffs always occur from the bottom of the totem pole up.
So they make the business less profitable and charge the employees (who are paid by the business) for that service? Interesting.

No, the point is that closed shops are immoral and allow unions a guaranteed flow of income for them to direct toward political causes which the (forced) union members don't necessarily believe in.

You sound dumb, you prolly are

I do see the other side of the coin, I fully respect that your sort of scenario can happen (and with alarming frequency at that).

The problem that we have in the UK is that the so called 'zero hours' contracts are increasingly common in industries that don't have that sort of problem, such as warehousing/shipping, retail, and other hourly-wage positions. This is meaning that people seeking entry-level work are put in a precarious position, without guarantees of work, making budgeting almost impossible. It also can lead to people not being able to exercise their legal rights in the workplace (such as having not working with unsafe equipment), for fear of being blacklisted or having their hours cut.

You charge the customer.
You're obviously supposed to have some sort of agreement.
Don't you get paid before accepting to do a job anyway?

Yeah dude, that's why a lot of conservatives and business owners/ entrepreneurs don't like fucking with unions, in the 60s-70s-80s the fucking unions were all run by the fucking mafia and they wouldn't do shit but hand out cush jobs to buddies and fuck over the guys running the tools.

it's much better these days but it's still fucking expensive to be in a union and unless you're an oldtimer or friends with the union reps, it's essentially not worth it because they'll let company management fuck you over if it eases labor relations for some other thing they're trying to get done.

Get a REAL job

>Don't you get paid before accepting to do a job anyway?

no. not in the US. I paid for my roof replacement AFTER the city inspector checked off on the roof, which was a week after the guys finished laying shingles.

You guys do it the other way around in the UK?

Not UK.

Usually you get paid first and given the materials or however you agree with the client and then begin construction.
Though you could pay after the job is finished but usually it's immediately after they do.

If the person does the job wrong you can go take them up to court or some government thing I think and get compensated or something.

In the UK generally some money gets paid up-front, with any remaining payments made during the work.

Should be said, however, most work does not require any involvement from the local authority/council, so no mandatory inspections of the work done.

I worked at a Quiktrip for a few months, and not only did we not get breaks, we weren't allowed to sit down unless it was to stock a low shelf.

oh god damn. was talking to a UK flag earlier, my bad.

Yeah i just gave the roofers a deposit before they started, but they paid for the shingles and plywood and all that shit.

Your way seems weird to me because they could just take the money and do a shit job or not build to code, then you have to go to court and spend a few grand on a (((lawyer))) just to get back however much money they fucked you out of.

Weird.

It's like the Patriot Act

republicans love to give their shitty bills funny names

that's pretty standard. You aren't crippled, you can stand for a few hours.

>You literally have no entitlement to a job

oh mah god da horror

That's interesting.

Here, depending on the length of a given shift, a worker is entitled to breaks. Usually this comes to one (paid) fifteen minute break if the shift is less than five hours, with any shifts longer than that generally having a short paid break and a longer unpaid meal break.

It's generally considered to increase productivity and boosts morale.

That actually happens a lot here. There are tv shows dedicated to how some builders have done that. It's an unregulated and over priced industry so people often cut and run.

yeah like the Affordable Care Act haha

It's a gas station, they don't give a shit about morale.

I imagine the owner gets pissed off that the good workers leave with alarming frequency?

Why would they, they can just hire the next one with ease.

Time and effort has to be spent on recruitment and training. The owner or manager would have to advertise the role, shift through the applications, interview a few people, and then decide on who to hire. Once that is done, the person would likely need training on the till / PoS equipment, as well as any other particular rules or regulations they have to meet.

Not cheap.

I work at GNC. We don't get a break. We work alone and we're not allowed to shut the store down and clock out. There's already been a civil suit in California.

>college aged millennial
>probably just spent 50k on a degree
>lmao dude theres no jobs in my field just like when I started my job
>oh I know, ill become a waiter in the big city I moved for school so I dont have to live in mommy's or daddies basement anymore
>Oh look I can make it to the end of the month with my rent and my college debt, I make "bank"

Please strive for something better, manual labor in Canada goes for a easy 20-30 dollars an hour, with union and benefits(something your waiter job probably doesn't provide)

You can live in piratically any city with a population over 250k work construction jobs and easily clear 2.5k a paycheck, enough for bills, better food, you can BUY a house instead of renting, and still have enough to save for a rainy day.

I worked very briefly at a mattress store that did this too. I found a new job asap

Unions are cancerous

Merit creates a skillset that can be negotiated later on for much much more.

Or, merit means your employer fobs you off with attaboys while reaping the benefits of your skills, crying poverty when you attempt to negotiate, relying on finding a new job to be awkward and time-consuming enough to disuade the majority of workers from leaving.

Takin our lambos to the moon!

^This faggot has no idea what he's talking about.

Certainly describes every job I've ever had.

The owners are required to comp you if yu don't make minimum

this,
reminder uncle Adolf was pro union

but that doesn't happen, because owners are cunts

I just told the guy to ditch his current "career" path to work manual labour, do you think I dont know that unions are cancerous and that a merit/reference based resume will go a lot further in life?

since 98' I have worked on pipelines, housing,
and natural gas/oil plants, I have never even considered going to school, I have had years where I filed $100,000+ on my income tax, with a high school education, VERY good references and a good work ethic.

Then they're breaking the law.

Unions seem like a cesspool for commies. I'm from Britain and only on holiday here so I don't know what burger unions are like, but every time someone has suggested joining a union to me, I have to sperg out internally about commies

unrelated but why the hell did you go for a holiday to the US of all places? Seems like an egregious waste of money.

Been working a 9-5 for 3 years straight and I don't stand for more than an hour... Fuck that I'm not doing my back in for some other cunts business.

loads of high paying salary jobs have hours you fucking imbecile, the highest paid jobs are in service industries and management all of which have hours.

I fucking love it here mate. It's supremely /comfy/ here in the midwest, everyone is very nice to me because I'm British, the food is amazing, the beer is cheap, and I enjoy getting a break away from disgusting muslamics. Don't fall for the meme about the USA. It's a jewish trick to have whites squabble among each other. America is very very nice as long as you're not in the cities.

Follow this and you'll get and keep a job

thanks for the tip, boss

>I'm going to be a silent, obedient slave of the capital, hoping that (((they))) will eventually throw me a bone.

>have employees tape a "now hiring" sign in the front window
>have employees give applications to people that ask
>hire as many people as needed from the stack of apps.
>don't even check references, because lol who gives a fuck
>still make new employees take drug test cause it's fucking hilarious getting to force peasants to piss in a cup.
>have other employee spend ten minutes teaching new employee to work the register
>work them to death so I can pocket 99.99% of the profits
>start over when they finally quit out of frustration/exhaustion after just a few months

Doesn't sound hard or expensive at all. If it was, I doubt anyone would even want to own a business.

Nice numerals but I have to disagree with the bit that says
>I believe all people are created equal

>the world is not fair
>all people are created equal
the fucking brainwashing holy shit

>>work them to death so I can pocket 99.99% of the profits

When will people stop parroting this? I need to find that MS Paint comic. Business owners have to pay a vast majority of the profits back into overhead, shipping, advertising, etc and the only reason they make so much is because of economies of scale.

I signed a waiver that said i can skip my unpaid break if i have lots of work to do. I don't mind it, i dont get paid for my breaks. Usually end up taking a ten minute breather anyways as opposed to clocking out for 30 or an hour.