MUH STEM JOBS

As a college student, I’d like to inform you that 95% of STEM students are retarded and lazy, and have no potential to actually succeed in their field of study. Consider that, and this is literally a nonissue if you aren’t a dumbass.

>undergraduate degree in biology
>undergraduate degree in chemistry
>undergraduate degree in MATHS

don't get me wrong they are great subjects to study, but you'd be kidding if you thought any of those degrees guarantee any kind of related employment

now fuck off with your non-political thread

Gee I wonder who could be behind this post

It depends on the economy when you graduate, if you graduate into a recession you are out of the industry.

Bunp

STEM is totally a meme, yes. Its well known that IT is shitty, what's less well known is that the various common engineering disciplines (electrical, mechanical, etc) are in the same boat and have been for a long time (since the 60's, at least). If you don't move into management in 5-10 years, your job will be replaced with some other grad fresh out of college with all the newest skills at a fraction of your price.

The issue is there isn't nearly enough management positions to go around, hence you have that huge red bubble of people who have gotten forced out.

You're fucking yourself if you think STEM (especially tech or engineering) is a ticket to decent pay. You're going to have to be working as hard or harder than a college kid for the rest of your life to likely top out at around 75k if you're good.

There are better ways to make money.

A degree is worthless if you don't have contacts in the industry that you want to work in.

He's not wrong. I have one of those degrees and went into subsistence farming while NEETbux pay the taxes and utilities.

exactly this in ontario
this too

Yep. Use nepotism or someone else will.

Here's the thing you yanks need to understand, if you want a good STEM job you most likely have to move away from America.

Pick up a second language and get a visa.

Find a program that works closely with existing industry (this is the hard part), get at least a BS for future proofing advancement
Theoretical nonsense will get you nowhere, you need hands-on applicable skills even if they aren't your main interest in the field

>There are better ways to make money.

Like what?

>inb4 "I'm a welder"

No
get fucked.
That's not a better way and will never be.

this is me, i graduated in mech eng and now i work as a ***** servant

I graduatedd with a CS meme degree and started earnin 100k a couple months later

What is the breakdown of unemployed STEM faggots?

The yank is right, Jakob. There are plenty of easier ways to make money, and welding is one of them.

silicon valley has the best IT jobs in the world

>STEM degree
>STEM bachelor's degree

If you don't have at least a bachelor's, don't call it a degree, call it a diploma.

It's not that black and white. Those numbers are so stark that you are far, far from guaranteed a job if you don't have an "in".

This is all true.

The thing is, the technical fields have been preached to high schoolers in this country for many decades now. Amongst American high schoolers with an IQ above 100, being an "engineer" is like some golden land of accomplishment, respect, and money.

It's a scam though, and its been a scam for a long time now. First it hit the engineers decades ago, now the techies that have grown up in the late 80's and 90's are discovering it. They call it age discrimination, but it's more like wage discrimination. Hiring managers know there is an endless supply of new young grads that will fulfill your function just as well as you, but at a very significant cost savings.

This used to be somewhat well known amongst engineers in the 90's, but then in the mid 2000's the STEM meme/propaganda hit full fucking force, like a goddamn hurricane, and it hasn't started to peter out yet.

STEM is a business cost saving strategy, nothing more.

t. old enough to remember this shit.

Ignore the name, last time I posted I saged a thread.

This. The thing that sucks about engineering is you either end up with a shitty desk job getting replaced by a new grad 10 years later OR move into management and don't do any engineering related work anymore.

YOU CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT!!!

STEM is an ambiguous term that encapsulates hundreds of degrees.
Not all STEM related degrees are equal.
So, of course the chemistry major is going to have a hard time looking for a job when their engineer counterpart is going to land a job faster.

Yeah but IT is gay

That's where you're wrong, kiddo.

>Amongst American high schoolers with an IQ above 100, being an "engineer" is like some golden land of accomplishment, respect, and money.
Really? It's not that high prestige here. Good job, sure, but nothing compared to what people think about Medicine or Law.

>per year
Hmm. Really makes one's gears run

STEM is a meme. Well, the S and M are. High-paying science jobs all involve research, which means you'll need a terminal degree to do them. Same with math.

Engineering is iffy. Technology, whether it be IT or general computer science, is where the money is.

But I agree with you, we're in a stage comparable to the 80s/90s where everyone wanted to go into finance and banking. The bubble will burst in the next few years I guess

Depends which field of engineering you go to.
Civil engineering is pretty competitive.

not true when i went. all i saw was dedicated students. almost a fanatical dedication actually.

>Civil engineering
brainlet of engineering
glorified architecture

You are correct with medicine, and I don't know about Germany and/or the EU, but here Law has taken a huge beating in terms of prestige over the last decade and a half or so.

Heh, that Gordon Gekko shit was actually what opened my eyes to this series of employment bubbles. I wanted to do finance, at almost any level, back in the early 2000's. But by then the wall street meme was flaming out, and well on it's way to being replaced by STEM. Finance has been raped by tech, its a shadow of what it once was.

They're coming for all your high-earning professions, Sup Forums. Make no mistake about it.

Pretty much true.

All the advertised "STEM" jobs out there are companies running H1b visa scams.

They advertise for a flight test engineer with 30 years design experience in silicon foundry and fluent in Cobol, get no one, apply for an H1b visa, and hire an Boonfuckastan grad straight out of school

You can always teach science or math in a public school. They are core classes unlike engineering and technology, so they literally need both a math and a science teacher every year for 12 years.

this

Intel runs purely on rice and curry, used to work there

Nice false graph you got there Pedro.

You are just jealous of those who can into STEM.

I think youre trying to argue that stem majors dont find employment, but the reality is that many employers want to hire engineers over other degrees like lib arts. Im a mechanical engineer making six figures as a cloud architect in healthcare technology. Many of my coworkers are chemical and electrical engineers. Any of these degrees are a solid base for any field of employment.

plenty of civil engineers end up working in construction.

we already had tons of threads about this. Im pretty sure this very infograph because it looks familiar

t. got job through nepotism

fuck you faggot

It shouldn't be called STEM.
Science and math are unemployable (unless you want to sell your soul on wall street or the like). Only TE have guaranteed jobs because they're glorified trades.

t. Physics undergrad at Uchicago with 3.95 gpa

>architecture
>glorified
all they do is crank out incomplete plans and delay projects by months because they take forever to release a new version or answer whatever questions the contractors have for them

Assblasted History Major detected

Honestly, if you're not getting a STEM degree, you aren't getting a real degree at all, and are objectively a retard.

>go into medical degree
>have to basically intern/work
>automatic job before you even graduate

wow that was easy

What's the next big thing?

>become a literal sleepless drone with no free time

wow nice life

STEMlets, despite believing they are intellectually superior because they chose """real""" majors, are really just goyim cattle who brainlessly followed a trend and fell for the most obvious education bubble since lawfags in the 80s, dunning kruger in action.

NH2Cl?

oh goddamnit i just got your joke
fuckyou

this is very true

Boatloads of unemployed civil, electrical, and mechanical engineers atm too. Everyone forgets these guys do the critical design work while technicians do the rest, just aren't that many jobs out there to be taken and those who are hiring go for the best or contract out the work for legal reasons.

>Says the man jumping into a field where the bubble has been burst forever and gets stuck as star buck barista
wew

Who said I was at a hospital? Doctor's practice 5 days a week, 8-5

With the way things are looking, stats and analytics.

Gee, it's almost like they push the LOOK AT ALL DESE OPENINGS AND SHORTSAGES IN STEM bullshit in order to get more graduates and to keep wages rock bottom.

winnar

>>Says the man jumping into a field where the bubble has been burst forever
>im fucking plying

the liberal arts bubble is sustainable indefinitely as long as universities keep hiring useless retards to teach useless academics and companies keep creating useless positions for people with useless degrees. the only way it will burst is if there's a hard right shift in politics and all the marxists get kicked out of every institution in the nation - aka never

This is Modern Man thinking. Traditionally the sciences etc were pleb fields.

>getting STEM and Liberal Arts degrees
>not joining the Trades Master Race

They did it to themselves

>implying you will be able to afford to live on a teachers salary after all of that debt
t.brainlet

All this arguing while I'm sitting pretty with my business degree that I worked half as hard for while still getting paid as much as you anti-social losers.

>gets replaced by a robot in 10 years

>there are only assembly line welders needed

Dealing drugs????

You are a fucking brainlet if you don't have a STEM degree. If you have FUD for STEM and think a Pajeet can out perform you, you are a brainlet and deserve to fail. There is going to be a huge amount of technical debt in the upcoming years because the way employers are going about things now.

>got a STEM degree
>got into high end research
>Started making 6 figures at age 24
>Combing through resumes for a position in our group
>Most applicants have no internships, no work experience, no solo projects and made no significant contributions

There really is a shortage of good programmers, no doubt about that, but a shit-ton of people who graduate with a STEM degree are actually garbage pumped out by worthless greedy universities

STEM is not a meme, it can be the fastest way to reach success in life IF you're actually competent, but most people aren't

>10
Try 3.

Why not BE the employer?

>tfw I was a business major

Say what you want but at least I'm never out of decent high paying work.

100% correct. You can always expect the guy in shipping that does nothing but tape boxes to make more than you simply because he's family despite the fact that you actually have a degree and have skills that the company actually needs

But that literally is a better way you dense fucking idiot.

okay, freshman in psychology with philosophy minor

Someone has to maintain the robots and melt the commies faces off user

STEM isn't about jobs, you should be working on your own

traditionally almost nobody went to university and graduating a few years of compulsory school was all the education you needed, the rest was taught to you by your dad or some tradesman you helped as a teen.

Up to recently universities were for the real elite and any degree they were doing there was a serious endevour including arts. There was no such thing as unemployed graduates unless you didnt want to work. Now almost everyone goes to university or something similar and nobody knows what to do with the consequences.

I found a lot of engineering companies try to kick out their engineers at around 45, to get the fresh graduate blood.

6 figures at 24, and still acting like a nigger.

With your vastly superior intellect you'd think to know that you're an outlier who's placing his warped expectations on quite literally "normal" people.

Those satanic quads miss the truth. I know a handful of science degree guys that went into teaching and can still pay their own debts. They do admittedly grow their own food and fix their own cars... and have given up on starting and supporting families.

whats the best trade

This. There is no "good enough" anymore.

Thankfully, every white man worth his weight in salt can still get enough bux to pay taxes and utilities while living in the woods and practicing subsistence farming.

> went to culinary school
> making $24k annually after 6 years in the field
> lifesucks.jpg
> decide to teach myself to code
> get internship after learning swift
> get job at startup 6 months later
> making $95k in Detroit now with no degree

If you cannot make a decent living in this field, it’s because you’re mentally retarded. I’ll be a millionaire by 31 because this startup gave me equity and is about to be bought out. If you can’t get a job as an engineer or programmer, it’s because you’re lazy or don’t want to spend a month to learn something new that’ll make you valuable AF.

He's right. There are a lot of engineering jobs but not a lot of science jobs

My high school econ teacher fell for the teaching meme and ended up being stuck teaching 17 year old brainlets with his only companion being a dog he can hardly afford.

medicine and law don't even do any math or physics, no respect there, if you are not talking about "jobs that makes middle age womans wet"

Don't misunderstand: most American teachers do live hand to mouth, but they have jobs at the end of the day. Me? I opted out of the job scene to enjoy my free time and cheap hobbies, as every man should

How do you manage to feed yourself without a job?
Do you beg?

>>
i might pull this off too desu

I literally spent about 3 weeks teaching myself the basics of SQL and I got hired to be an admin for a database. This job allows me to learn many other aspects critical to IT. I have been learning scripting for QA (seems very easy desu), and I have been learning BA stuff as well. I have no college degree. I have taken one course at school for C++, which was helpful and made SQL seem like childs play. I'm not making 100k like everyone claims I should be, but im only 3 months in and I make a comfortable wage.

They said I was hired because I was more motivated than the other people who were interviewed. MOTIVATION.

I look up EE final projects from time to time. There are some university websites that list student's work.....frankly, they are quite unimpressive, especially when the idea has to be business-related and have a sales motive.

>Using an Arduino in your idea

They are often just modifications of existing things, they are heavily Arduino focused, and often times, the write-ups are horrible.

So while I would agree that there are a lot of completely garbage engineering students out there, you do need a way to differentiate yourself from all of them. I do not work in the field, but have been thinking of going back to school for EE. I am 30yrs old and feel that I might be too old considering that I would be close to 34 by the time I graduated, having to compete for jobs with 22-24 year olds who are also entering the work force.

>not trucking OTR, 3 weeks a month, 7 months a year
>not growing one batch of Cannabis to sell harvested bud
>not DJing gigs for parties/events twice a month, throughout the year
>not ranking in a total of $112k a year
I am an absolute brainlet, but not a poorlet.

I'm not blaming those kids, I'm blaming the worthless education and false hopes they've been given. They've been sold into economic slavery for decades on the basis that they'll get a cushy job with little effort, that's not how life works.

I came from a no-name cheap ass school but stood out thanks to the projects I released on my own time.

Being "educated" isn't good enough, you have to be one step ahead of everyone else, this applies to every other field.

My father is a truck driver. His company (and many others) are hurting for drivers. There are not many young people who find that desirable for a job/career. If I was single and didn't already have a decent job, I would do it.

You have the right mindset. There are many ways to make money.

>Study English and Art History
>End up working in accounting pretty soon after graduation
>Going to start learning coding soon because another friend who studied English went through a boot camp and now works full time in NYC

And every STEM kiddy along the way has been assblasted about it

I get $500/month from disability (agoraphobia) which pays my taxes and utilities. I grow my own food and do other forms of basic maintenance as things break down. My cabin in the woods cost me $2000, but is 50 miles from the nearest town. I'm lucky that I live on the utility lines that go between the towns.

I'm taking a DB class right now at community college. I think I'll actually start studying this stuff instead of skimming by.

>projects I released on my own time
Now this is something that I think is too lacking from far too many people. Everyone just wants to become a part of a "group" or "company," not really do a whole lot themselves, and basically coast into the lap of luxury on the backs of others. In a weird way, these lazy fucks are getting exactly what they deserve.

I start my first electrical engineering class next semester
I read online that i'll get to learn about tube amplifiers
I plan on using my engineering degree to create synthesizers and effects pedals