Why are people religious in 2017?

Why is religion still around? I think it's because society is slow to get rid of traditions. In some countries, like Australia, judges wear fake, white wigs at work. They do that pointless shit because people wore wigs in England in the 1600s. Our society is slow to get rid of traditions.

Why do people believe in the Bible?

>*Open is up to the beginning*
>"God made everything thousands of years ago."
>Talking snake
>"Women's periods are a punishment from God."
>*Flip through further*
>God creates a giant flood to drown everyone
>*Flip through further*
>God is commanding people to kill other people

Uhhh, I thought he was a kind God who loves everyone? This shit doesn't sound very loving.

People actually believe in this shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Y5nM9ZEKQUY
youtube.com/watch?v=ZjuBRaLYWnA
phys.org/news/2011-01-religiosity-gene-dominate-society.html
theguardian.com/science/2017/jan/16/natural-selection-making-education-genes-rarer-says-icelandic-study
youtube.com/watch?v=dnrT7yZEV-g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What do you use to feel good?
Alcohol?
Drugs?
Quick wank, number 103 of the day?
Play vidya?
Scope the chins?
Have sex?

Do you believe any of that s#it makes you happy?
I learned it doesn't, but I hated religion and recently figured out why.
Watch Zenkyoku Haku if you want to learn.

Adios

its because people still believe in it as opposed to bacteria morphing into dinosaurs and into monkeys and humans for billions of years because of random mutations.

>Why are people religious
>Why do people believe in the Bible?
You're conflating two different things.

It's been a while since a good old enlightened Athiesm General
>Inb4 Le fedora
Not funny and not an argument, it just makes you look like a bunch of butthurt idiots who know you're fucking wrong and it's pathetic, so stop trying to project your insecurities onto me.

Lets put it this way: there is nothing in that book more idiotic and full of shit than what's Ayn Rand wrote.

Teenage faggot equates religion to the Bible

Why do people who hate religion criticise and hate on Christianity the most when the thing that's going to fuck them up the most is Islam.

You’re dumb

Tradition is the corpse of wisdom.

>Atheism General
>stop trying to project your insecurities onto me.

Hmmmm...

I like church because of the sense of community and the love we all have for eachother. I don't believe in a strict interpretation of the bible and alot of it is stupid but it also has some good prescriptions for the human condition.

Nah, it's just that Christianity is the most popular religion in Western countries, where most of us are from.

What, am I supposed to make an anti-religion topic and then discuss Hinduism? That wouldn't sense.

go worship a rainbow then sodomite

Hinduism is a political and spiritual ideology
Abrahamic religions are spirit binding techniques that were crafted by Talmudic followers over two thousand years ago.
Start learning something instead of pissing into a keyboard looking to troll

"I want to say to you, about myself, that I am a child of this age, a child of unfaith and scepticism, and probably (indeed I know it) shall remain so to the end of my life. How dreadfully has it tormented me (and torments me even now) this longing for faith, which is all the stronger for the proofs I have against it. And yet God gives me sometimes moments of perfect peace; in such moments I love and believe that I am loved; in such moments I have formulated my creed, wherein all is clear and holy to me. This creed is extremely simple; here it is: I believe that there is nothing lovelier, deeper, more sympathetic, more rational, more manly, and more perfect than the Saviour; I say to myself with jealous love that not only is there no one else like Him, but that there could be no one. I would even say more: If anyone could prove to me that Christ is outside the truth, and if the truth really did exclude Christ, I should prefer to stay with Christ and not with truth."

because primates are social animals. religion gives people a sense of community. it's better than filling your god-hole with hedonism, drugs and bbc

Didn't read. People with no culture don't get opinions.

>why are people allowed to believe things I don't approve of?
Fuck off, authoritarian cunt.

Learn history you idiot, no civilization can survive without religion.
People NEED to believe in some higher being in order to survive. If there is no god, there are no morals, nothing is sacred = civilization slowly dissipates.
We are slowly going there. We will be absorbed by islam.

>I like church because of the sense of community and the love we all have for eachother. I don't believe in a strict interpretation of the bible and alot of it is stupid but it also has some good prescriptions for the human condition.

What you guys label as "community" and "fellowship", is what psychologists call codependence and poor boundaries.

Christian, reporting in. God bless you all! Peace and God's Grace be with you!

> (OP)
>Learn history you idiot, no civilization can survive without religion.
>People NEED to believe in some higher being in order to survive. If there is no god, there are no morals, nothing is sacred = civilization slowly dissipates.
>We are slowly going there. We will be absorbed by islam.

Someone who is mentally healthy doesn't need religion. The only people drawn to religion are people who have gone through some sort of trauma or had an unhealthy environment growing up. Religion is the biggest perpetrator of unhealthy personal boundaries in history.

A sense of comfort maybe.

>People NEED to believe in some higher being in order to survive. If there is no god, there are no morals, nothing is sacred

Why are morals important in modern society?

We have a legal system to prevent harmful behavior.

It doesn't matter if people have morals or not, they still have to follow the law.

People with no moral ground still transgress the law, given the means to circumvent it.

where do laws come from

Look around you at the lawful, but immoral world.

No nation and folk can survive and achieve great things without a religious belief.

>modern society
>(((modern society)))
No such thing. Technologically we are quite far, but every thing that plague our society has plagued the societies of the past.

Learn history.

Until a non-murderous intellectually constructed morality system is created (a bare bones religion, more or less) and widely accepted, traditional religions need to fill that void. The religious dogma is a detriment mostly, but it maintains the moral systems within the religion. Without the dogma, the system deteriorates.

"If the only thing keeping a human decent, is the expectation of a divine reward, then that person is a piece of shit."

>Someone who is mentally healthy doesn't need religion. The only people drawn to religion are people who have gone through some sort of trauma or had an unhealthy environment growing up. Religion is the biggest perpetrator of unhealthy personal boundaries in history.
Thats fucking bullshit. Are you a jew? You sound like one.

Because we have veritable, scientific evidence as to why drugs, sex before marriage, and general lack of self control are harmful to both your health and sanity, yet in a society that claims to trust only science and things that can be proven, more people are receptive to “God in Heaven said don’t do these things because he just doesn’t approve of them” than to said evidence.

TELL ME ABOUT BANE, WHY DOES HE WEAR THE MASK?

A LOTTA LOYALTY FOR A HIRED GUN.

That won't ever work, because the moral law has to spring from a transcendent, undebatable source ie. God, in order to be immediately accepted by a large group of individuals. We all know that human philosophies are, after all, just opinions, don't we?

They're man-made concepts meant to prevent harmful behavior.

Something doesn't have to be immoral to be illegal, it just have to be harmful to society.

>blows you up

>preventing harmful behaviour IS a moral rule.

That's not true. Plenty of atheist societies developed just fine. Some even produced more scientists per capita than any capitalist shit-hole. Did you forget about free education in the USSR, and other communist societies? China and Japan are mostly atheist and they are just fine.

Looks like we got ourselves a salty neckbeard! Want some tendies and musty?

>muh fundies

With regard to China, see pic related.

And this.

God only hates you.

>human philosophies are, after all, just opinions
The philosopher is unable to remove himself from his philosophies and presuppositions, I agree with that.
I was thinking something like a construction of artificial intelligence, rather than a human generated one. That's if AI becomes essentially a God of intelligence. I'm not sure it'll ever happen, but it could.

Faith
Family
Tradition

Get with the program faggot. Your degenerate faggotry will bring you to your knees. Then you will look up and see the truth. You will pray. You will beg for forgiveness. Then you will begin down the true path. The only path.

Because *some* Religions help install good values in people, and even not being Religious myself I still support all peaceful religions *not Islam cough cough* but they have all these good charities and shit and there a fuckton Of Good religious schools, not to mention if you are a fedorafag atheist then I’ll clue you in- religions are getting more progressive for you so be fucking happy faggot. Let me lurk in peace.

youtu.be/Y5nM9ZEKQUY

GET OUT OF HERE MILITANT ATHEIST

Because some people enjoy serving and being a great solider for their perfect Master and King the Lord Jesus Christ. While others enjoy being a slave to their corruptable self.

That’s for the ones who aren’t good at math

Satan is the true god, he is also the adversary to the Jews which makes me admire him more.

Do you often make a complete prick of yourself?
Name one, north Korea? Is that your example.

You're missing the point. The most important aspects of religion are value systems, traditions, and community dynamics.

Whether one believes in the Big Bang Theory or Creationism doesn't really matter at all in most contexts. You can mock the words of the bible, but it was the traditional western interpretation of them that brought western civ to such great heights.

>free education
You mean indoctrination? Sounds fantastic.

Yeah I wanted to show him that China is going to uncuck itself from muh communism completely pretty soon.

Did you forget about China? They are rational and free from religion, offer various free services, and have a communist party in control. Atheist societies do work. Isn't Britain mostly irreligious? That's just proof that you do not need any religion at all, imbicile.

> Our countries were the most powerful and whitest they had ever been while embracing Christianity
> "Oy Vey! Goyim, don't listen to Jesus Christ warning you about us in the bible! Accept diversity and liberalism, it's been working our great since WW2, right?"

I know, just wanted to clog up this shit thread for OP, who is falls under the all-encompassing term “OP is a faggot”

>Isn't Britain mostly irreligious?
The society was built on a religious structure, though. That structure's values were extracted and removed from the dogma, now it's collapsing into crime and disillusionment as a result.

Except the Devil is weak and a loser compared to the LORD.

Best post.

The universe is complicated. We can’t see how complicated it is. We don’t really know anything at all in absolute terms. We only know a few scraps of things in terms that are relative to us.

Asserting that there is no god has the exact same evidentiary requirement as saying there is a god. We can’t prove it.

At the edges of what we’re capable of understanding, mysticism takes over and allows us to speculate a couple steps further. Why shouldn’t we?

But people should also have the self awareness to tell between what they want to believe and what actually makes sense to them.

>Plenty of atheist societies developed just fine
are you talking about some XIX and XX nations or ancient civilizations? No ancient atheist civilization has ever developed. Religion is the basis for any organized society. Did you knew that KGB propaganda directorate came to the same conclusions in 60s?
>Did you forget about free education in the USSR
Yes Stalin enforced that math chemistry physics are to be heavily teached at schools, it gave effects. They never went full atheist though.
Now, do the USSR still exist? no.
>China and Japan are mostly atheist and they are just fine.
Japan - shinto and buddhism. And no, japan is not "fine". Population is shrinking rapidly, people are dying from karoshi. Japan is on general decline.
China is the fastest growing christian nation on earth. Also, before mao - confucius and buddhism. Fastest growing christian nation, and they are developing rapidly.

So, you are a science man? Then let me explain it to you scientifically:

I think there are maybe some macro-social-economic variables that are hard/impossible to observe by scientists, but are linked to the level of religiousness in said society. And when there is no religion, those variables and social chains simply deteriorate, causing the downfall of a society. For someone to observe, study and catagolize it, you would need extremely big data such as complete multi generational (100-200 years) behavior of humans, every thought, action, words spoken. Just now, with the advent of digital technology, it may be possible to do that. With the Facebook, NSA spying and recording every word, CCTV cameras on every corner, all kinds of crime statistics and thousands of other statistics available, i believe Islamic scientists in 300-400 years from now (or maybe shorter, depends on quantum computing development) may come to exact conclusions why Western civilization have failed, and exactly why religion is the "skeleton" of civilization, holding it all together.

>The Demiurge’s primary archon is weak and a loser compared to the Demiurge

Used to be an agnostic-atheist. Reading and comprehending the classical arguments for theism given by the Aristotelian-Thomistic/neo-Scholastic tradition convinced me that they actually had it right.

You have just read about the rise in Christian religion in China. To say nothing of Taoism, Confucianism and Buddhism.
If you want to argue atheism, fine but don't ever use examples of society's, there are no good ones.

>No ancient atheist civilization has ever developed. Religion is the basis for any organized society
To expand upon this from a darwinian point of view, all societies that didn't form religions DIED OUT. There's a good reason for that.

Because religious people reproduce the most.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZjuBRaLYWnA
phys.org/news/2011-01-religiosity-gene-dominate-society.html
theguardian.com/science/2017/jan/16/natural-selection-making-education-genes-rarer-says-icelandic-study

I dont have a religion, i have faith.

Lots of things happened to me in my life that point to god existing and being there.

Satanism is just egocentric, juvenile contrarianism.

>whoa bro, flipped yer cross upside down.
>Whatcha gonna do, loser?

>like, have you ever listened to a Simon and Garfunkel album.. BACKWARDS?!!

>I wear black all the time cause colors are for LOSERS

>So what if I spend more at Bed Bath and Beyond than my sister? Candles don’t candle themselves, brah

This
So many people live today to help themselves, not wanting wife or kids,
shit... what's the point then
Nazism as Nazi virtues (Nationalism,religion,preservation of culture,helping your neighbors) should be followed by everyone, no matter the religion or race (stay and your country and try to make it better).
Too bad people associate it now with evil.
I'm not too much into socialsm but Nazis had good principles.

>implying Europe wasn't whiter when it was Pagan

List of pro-White atheists and agnostics:
Alex Linder
Ben Klassen
Craig Cobb
Dr. Kevin MacDonald
Dr. William Luther Pierce
Matt Hale
Revilo Oliver
Tom Metzger

youtube.com/watch?v=dnrT7yZEV-g

>Libertarian meme flag
>Middle school level atheism
Don't you have a big US History test tomorrow Tommy?

Why assume the creator is the demiurge rather than the devil?

>implying Huns are white

Threadly reminder that gaytheism is a claim and thus requires burden of proof, just like theism.

>b-but you can't prove a negative
Nice psuedo-logic, you can prove a negative, you just can't prove yours
>b-but atheism is the neutral position
Umm, no sweetie, the neutral position would be agnosticism.

Agnosticism is atheism.

No one is going to check those digits? What's wrong with you guys.

They are also less likely to kill others in their society of their religion.
It's like this, if you have decided to kill yourself, why not kill those that made you miserable.
Because God will punish you or no reason really.
See how it works.

Tip harder faggot

Reminder to sage all antichristian threads

I dont believe in the bible outright, fuck evangelicals and shit, the bible is a base for morals and general human decency.
I was a hardcore atheist up until 2 years ago until I tried psycadelics such as lsd and shrooms, then I realised there has to be a greater power, whether it be through belief or acceptance there is something driving the human race that we will never truly understand, religion is only one way to look at it, ultimately there is stuff we cannot explain, therefore religion must exist for humans to survive.

Oh sweetie...no.

Atheism posits that god(s) do not exist, and theism posits that at least one god exists.

Agnosticism says that it's unknowable.
>m-muh strong and weak atheism
weak atheism is just gaytheists trying to play semantics to pretend they aren't making a claim.

Checked

The Old Testament God seemed egocentric and dickish. More like a very powerful human than an unknowable creator. Honestly, the Old Testament god doesn’t seem to vibe with what Jesus taught.

Jesus didn’t test people to psyche them out. Jesus didn’t demand sacrifice.

The story of Job always pissed me off. Job was never going to be allowed to do anything other than fail. What kind of god is that? How would Jesus be his son?

So, I like the story better, that God’s seventh emanation, Sophia, birthed the Demiurge and yet never revealed itself to its creation. The Demiurge, having never witnessed greater divinity than itself, believes itself to be the highest.

But the true emanation of God gifted us with a divine spark to connect us to divinity, to give us a beacon toward truth.

I can’t say I believe it in a literal sense, but it is very interesting to me. All I can say in absolute terms is I believe in a God, but that the true God is unknowable and wouldn’t have a personality recognizable to a human.

I love you, even if it makes me gay.

>Agnosticism says that it's unknowable.
Theists say it's unknowable too, faggot. It's not about knowledge, it's about belief. Theists believe, while both atheists and agnostics do not.

You're the sweetie here.

Agnosticism is not a position. It is the degree to which a position is held. God is an inherently unknowable being the moment "agnosticism" goes away is the moment "belief" becomes impossible. The people who call themselves "agnostics" are atheists, though actual agnosticism applies to essentially all cosmological belief systems. Atheism is not having metaphysical beliefs period, not just not having metaphysical beliefs but not being sure about it.

Why are people still godless commies in 20+18-1?

The world is shitty place, and people are grasping at anything that can make it seem a little less shitty. That would be my guess

>implying Europe wasn't whiter when it was Pagan

> Implying we (whites) held as much ground and conquered land while we were pagan, compared to while we were Christian.

WHAT INFORMATION ARE YOU WITH HOLDING ABOUT BANE

There is a huge gap between agnostics and atheists. I call myself an agnostic, and I believe there is a higher sentience than humanity. I think most people are inclined to.

If you ever entertain the concepts of fate, luck, “nature” having sentient characteristics, or anything other than cold randomness, then you believe in a higher order that could be called a god, even if you retreat from it when called out.

These beliefs bubble up, and you can push them away, but they’re a wellspring.

>Because religious people reproduce the most
True. Joseph entered Egypt with 70ish people and over 2 million of his people left with Moses after only 430 years. In fact, that's why the Egyptian King got nervous and started prosecuting them, which lead to them leaving - because they were multiplying so fast.
The devil has no truth to him, he just tried to trick you to be your own God.

>Why are people religious in 2017
Fucking lol. Atheists are still SEETHING that religion will long outlive them simply because some guy preached a truth that resonated with millions of people centuries ago.

>its because people still believe in it
We have it because we've always had it? That sounds like the degenerate explaining why he has herpes. No much of an argument

Why is personal happiness the standard? Maybe long-term sustained inner tranquility isn't feasible so hedonism is the least-worst option.

>At the edges of what we’re capable of understanding, mysticism takes over and allows us to speculate a couple steps further. Why shouldn’t we?
The toxic problem with your Gods of the Gaps is that we're constantly discovering that things can be known. not just speculated. So the gods can only live in an ever-receding gap in our knowledge.

Hails! Fuck God; let's send that nonexistent asshole to the grave He deserves.

>Atheists are still SEETHING that religion will long outlive them simply because some guy preached a truth that resonated with millions of people centuries ago.
The only reason judaism, christianity and islam are still around is tithing. They built a mechanism to fund themselves by leeching the wages of the world's poorest people.

Why are you atheists so obnoxious?

I swear you guys make these mormons look good in comparison to you

Hedonism gets boring. I’m only in my 30’s, and I just don’t get anything from it anymore. It feels empty.

I can see how Hollywood types get into degeneracy. It’s just chasing the dragon.. They don’t get a lot of those quiet days that invite reflection. And if your brain is tolerancing out on dopamine, you need to do crazier shit to get anything out of going further down the same path.

I want purpose. I see purpose in raising kids. I want to devote myself to something, to have a grand project, to start the adult phase of my life, where things are built more than consumed.