twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fuck off Sup Forums.

You don't seem to understand.

don't think, feel

Sup Forums thinks it's good, so you must be agree to fit in

I still haven't seen it.

Is SEL is most arthouse anime?

a shame, you seemed an honest man

One word: Intellectual. Only a few anime can match Lain.

>Legend of the Galactic Heroes
>Hunter x Hunter
>Akagi
>Texhnolyze
>Paranoia Agent
>Evangelion

What was so intellectual about it?

It's art. It's intelligent. It's not like those mainstream shounen anime that only care about fanservice or explosions. It has a deeper meaning and more intricacies than most. It's anime for the adults

I didn't really feel like all the philosophical points and shit they brought up were that intelligent, shit was done before like Lain being fully integrated into the wired and losing her physical self and shit. I'll give it a re-watch some time because I either didn't understand all the concepts and deep meanings or it's just bullshit.

I don't browse either nor do I want to, sorry.

Fun as fuck
My advice: give it a try.

>shonenfag can't understand complex anime like Lain

As expected

I liked it and thought it's very deep and mysterious when I was edgy adolescent.

Now I think it's nothing more than you yourself want to see in its intricacies. Not pretentious, just pure art, even dada, sort of, at least latter half.

>Hunter x Hunter
>It's not like those mainstream shounen anime that only care about fanservice or explosions
What did he mean by this?

"give me replies I am SILLY"

and all the fears you hold so dear

The people who seek intellectual things generally are enormous faggots masquerading as something more. At least shonenfags wear their retardation in the open.

That's the type of people that generally folk to this stuff. I originally went to anime cause it was "more mature" than the cartoons I watched, so I would know.

You loved the art, music, atmosphere, and main character but you also understood the plot was more of an experiment in writing surrealist speculative cyberpunk that anything else.

If you didn't understand Lain, you're not mature or intellectual enough to be on Sup Forums.

8/10

Look at what they make you give

After finishing SEL, you feel a strange mixture of emotions. Sadness, nostalgia, fear, happiness. It's a strange brew. You decide to make a list of each emotion and explain them Sup Forums:

>Sadness
You feel upset about what Lain went through. You feel she did not deserve the intense psychological trauma she endured over the course of her short physical life. You wished she could've made more friends, and you wish her wired persona didn't interfere with her physical life so much. Life is cruel and unfair as it is, having your online self coming back to haunt you when you don't or least expect it can be traumatic.

>Nostalgia
Watching SEL took you back to the late 90s. When all sorts of tech was just being released. It's likely that this is when you first got or heard of the internet, and the possibilities seemed endless. You remember reading store catalogs full of expensive and amazing tech that you one day hoped to own. The world seemed so brand new and expanding at an increasing rate. Now you look around at all the tech you own with jaded eyes. Why doesn't it feel the same as it did all those years ago? Why do things that would have been incredible back then feel so boring and commonplace?

>Fear
What happened to Lain? Why did she come here? Did she accomplish what she set out to? Was her ending a good ending? You worry about how this may have really happened, or is yet to happen. The past, present, and future mingling instead of being rigid, set structures in our minds. What if Lain had failed? What if what she actually accomplished was the wrong thing? Is it right to change the future based on your own preconceptions? If you were in Lain's position, would you have been able to accomplish what she did? You worry about this at night when the computer is off and you can just barely hear the hum of nearby electrical lines.

>Happiness
You love Lain. You want her to know that. With all your heart you love her. Always and forever. We all love Lain!

Lain is garbage. It's the anime equivalent of hitting random notes on a piano for four hours, but occasionally playing bits of Chopin etudes. Minor hints of brilliance, but overall, the effect is nauseating.

it's not fun or genuinely entertaining, but it is interesting. it's literally just like every other experimental medium in existence whether games, movies, or shows. the intrigue factor lures you in, but there is no basis other than "ambiguity" due to the author asserting his complete subjectivity forcing your brain to seek its own merits.

You don't really get it
after watching it a few more times it will be your favorite show of all time

One word : Pseudo-Intellectual. That's all you are and will ever be. Shit like Lain and Eva were made to cater to kiddies like who thinks some basic psychology thrown up by some pretentious basement dwelling otakus is epitome of writing.

I bet your favorite studio is KyoAni.

Will turn to whisper in your ear

Who put the processor in her shoe locker?

THIS

youtube.com/watch?v=VNxp7g-9nBw&list=PLw6UBKuaMyFC9QsLUFlbRFpa6GXs-FvZd

why are you linking a video of an anime reviewer

Probably because he is some newfag or crossboarder.

>shonenfags not intellectual enough to appreciate Lain

Stop watching Naruto and watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Stop watching Jojo and watch Hunter x Hunter instead. Stop watching One Piece and watch Texhnolyze instead. Exercise your brains a bit

>Legend of the Galactic Heroes

It was pretty boring after 13 episodes so I dropped it. Also I hear it becomes shit when wang dies.

Hunter X Hunter :D :D Spurdo

Left side rises

I'm so tired of these shonenbabbies who only watch dumb mainstream anime and cant get into more mature anime because it doesnt have ninjas breathing fireballs. Lain has amazing visuals and intellectual themes, it's for people who have high IQs

you forgot to add it didn't age well

I don't consider Hunter x Hunter shonen. It's far too intellectual and mature. And I've never heard of Spurdo or how that relates to HxH

Nice bait.

I dropped HxH after like 20 episodes since it was pokemon-level shallow walk and talk. When does it get intellectual? I don't have time for eternity.

>It's far too intellectual and mature.

user, I bet you couldn't even type that with a straight face.

I don't think Lain is that intellectual or even that hard to "understand", but I do think it's almost the apex of what anime can be as a form of art.

It is heavily experimental in style, deliberately confusing narrative, and uses existential themes. The show is deliberately confusing with technobabble and philosophical ramblings; that's all part of the theme of the show, oversaturation of information. We're talking about a cyberpunk narrative from 1998, a time where computers were still huge and clunky, a time where your average person had no idea how a computer worked and a time where Y2K was a legitimate concern to your everyday plebeian.

Lain, to me, is a great example of a piece of art that is reflective of its time and context while also still being a narrative of modern trends and issues despite being almost 20 years old.

Congratulations user, you said it well without sounding like a pretentious faggot.