Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pi7g9LbBv8A
forum.koohii.com/showthread.php?tid=3838
edrdg.org/jmdict/j_jmdict.html
ankiweb.net/shared/info/1199078757
pastebin.com/HHaK4vWP
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_repetition
lmgtfy.com/?q=Can you write a small tsu in katakana?
desuarchive.org/a/thread/148000330/#148047433
youtube.com/watch?v=BCfUMCwr4dM
google.co.jp/?gws_rd=ssl#q="月曜日にコーヒーを飲みます"
google.co.jp/?gws_rd=ssl#q="月曜日はコーヒーを飲みます"
google.co.jp/?gws_rd=ssl#q="月曜日にコーヒーを飲む"
google.co.jp/?gws_rd=ssl#q="月曜日はコーヒーを飲む"
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

僕 > *

youtube.com/watch?v=pi7g9LbBv8A

Japanese Rapu

Today I did Anki for 37 minutes and then I read a visual novel for 2 hours and 38 minutes.

why do you time your VN reading session

Just downloaded Shoujo Ramune VN. I have yet to extract it though.

How hard is the dialogue ?

about as hard as ill be in 5 min

I got to 1k words on a deck before dropping for like 3 months and now I'm getting back. Is it better to restart the deck from 0 or to try my best to pick up where I left off?

>inb4 bully because I dropped
I'm sorry.

Just pick up from where you left off and maybe lower the new cards for a while until you think you're ready

Just do your reviews and if you don't remember the cards as well as you would like to, just start over. Otherwise pick it up from where you left off. It's this simple.

ヒマワリの花は、いつも太陽の方を向いているんだ。太陽を追いかけてぐるりと回るから、日廻り。

凄い。。本当に考えさせるね

I'm having trouble googling this, so I hope no one minds me asking this here:

I want to confirm my assumption of how a group of kanji without furigana can be translated.

As an example, a title to some doujin was 雷冥棲姫, without any furigana.

I thought it could be translated two ways, only because there was no furigana:
1) "Dark Thunder Princess" from the kanji meanings
2) Or "Raimei Seiki" from the on-yomi readings (where 雷冥 = raimei ≈ 雷鳴), giving me just "Thunder Princess"

Am I correct in my assumption (both ways are ok), or is one way more correct than the other?

>he didn't write all the vocabulary he learned in a notebook

forum.koohii.com/showthread.php?tid=3838
Are you a bad enough dude to fully master kanji?

いいな。僕は細身の身体で巨乳のアニメ牛に手淫されたい

How do I post on futaba without a JP IP

I don't know how to do that VPN thing

do something useful like reading instead

Learn how to vpn. It's not rocket science.

This. Do what this guy says and read something easy like Muramasa so you can start off slowly and regain vocab.

Eh, not sure if I should even attempt to read before finishing Tae Kim. I'm like only 3/5 through.

Is that core 6k? I want to be like you someday user. How long did it take you?

Is there even any hard science proving SRS assists learning a language at all over just pure immersion? The only studies I have found have been about increasing retention when doing a test very soon after studying, completely leaving out the prognosis on how well that information is retained in other contexts, which is a lot different from application in consuming or outputting a language. And people have been successfully learning languages for thousands of years before SRS really took off.

You don't need to finish it. Just skim all of it and then use it as a reference as you encounter unknown grammar constructs.

>Tae Kim
Drop that shit. You only need to read the "Basic Grammar" section. The rest you can easily learn by reading. It's not that hard. Muramasa is actually considerably easy for someone that just started to learn japanese. The vocab it uses is easy, both to learn and understand. I'd recommend starting to read now.

Different user, try 1k words a month and be done with it in 6.

I think the best thing to do when you are still a beginner is listen to songs. BUT you have to remember that the grammar in songs is fucked and not ask us for help with your random as fuck denpa lyrics. Use the songs for vocab reinforcement, and listen to easy pop stuff with grammar that makes sense. Like just download a few ballads from Utada Hikaru or some repetitive AKB shit or something.

It's like, a foray into native material but in a way that is very nice for beginners. Of course, your time is better spent on anki in terms of efficiency but you can't do anki all day.

>easy
>muramasa
>easy
Muramasa is in my backlog, I'm pretty sure you're meme'ing us right? I put it off because I thought it would be difficult, how is the vocab compared to mahoyo which I'm reading right now?

Reading doesn't help you remember readings any more than anki does. Anki is objectively the easiest way to remember readings for large amounts of words. You don't really need SRS for things like spanish for this reason, but for Chinese and Japanese you would be stupid not to use it.

>as you encounter unknown grammar constructs.
For someone who just "skimmed" Tae Kim as their one and only source of grammar, pretty much every fucking sense will have an unknown grammar construct, not to mention unknown words too.

edrdg.org/jmdict/j_jmdict.html
ankiweb.net/shared/info/1199078757
pastebin.com/HHaK4vWP

>mahoyo
That's just a knock-off version of Fate/stay night. Don't waste your time with that. You're reading VNs for vocab, right? The advanced vocab that Muramasa offers is superior to any other VN. You should pick it up now, you won't regret it.

Source for your claims or is it just anecdotal stuff?

You certainly aren't going to retain every piece of how grammar works just by reading a book on it, and the process of seeing something->forgetting it->seeing it again and learning it again is how you make memories stronger. It's best to move onto that stage ASAP instead of fucking around with details.

Anki is based on research that shows it is effective for memory. Demanding resources for very specific cases when it is already shown in more general situations is a fallacy.

It's very basic, as you would expect of a lolige. Any slightly difficult words that come up in dialogue, the little girls won't know either and they'll likely get explained by MC.
The hardest part might be the descriptive prose used during sex scenes, which contains some slightly less common vocabulary, but you'll get used to it pretty quickly.
It's actually a really, really good VN for beginners, highly recommended.

>Is there even any hard science proving SRS assists learning a language at all over just pure immersion?
There are plenty of links and related topics to be found in this wiki page:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_repetition
How this can be applied to things like vocabulary revision, etc. I would think is somewhat clear.
It's an approach for time efficient revision.

Telling someone to go read on a language they don't even have a basic of grammar is a terrible advice.

They'll be googling shit once every 2 fucking sentences, maybe even more often than that, and most of the time they might not even find the answer.

I'm entirely convinced you are trying to troll them at this point.

>They'll be googling shit once every 2 fucking sentences
they will do that anyway you retard do you really think someone can read a grammar guide once (which isn't even inclusive of everything in japanese grammar) and memorize all of it

wtf

This isn't all that uncommon for anons in these threads. There was a period of time when an extreme version of this sort of mindset was somewhat common, wherein anons where outright hostile to suggestions of both "learning grammar" and using Anki.
Due to the nature of language acquisition, different approaches still work in the longer term, so different people get attached to their own way of going about it and often see that as a more valid approach. 各人各様、and all that. Butter side up, butter side down.

Guessing it wasn't self explanatory?

"wtf" as in "wtf, how come an entire dictionary only uses 4800 kanji?"

The data itself was from the Anki deck linked in that post, which may not be the same as the JMDict XML file. A lot of the data comes from the EDICT2 dictionary. However these are only single dictionary files. There are related dictionary projects for kanji and for names, which have more kanji.
For things that aren't place names, names, etc. it is still a highly functional J-E dictionary. 4800 kanji covers a lot of words.

誰ですか
その精液悪魔の

とにかく日本語わかる人がいますか (ジョーク)

いるわけないだろ(ファクト)

わろたw(ミーム)

What are some easy to read light novels?

ヘルペスなっちゃった

いらり

太鼓判を押す

Ones wherein you know 95% of the words and phrases used.

わたし を および です か

Kino no Tabi is the go-to recommendation around here.

Bakemonogatari

ヘルペスというのを知ってるか
そんなことには若すぎるんじゃないか

This is probably basic stuff, but Tae Kim and the first page of Google aren't answering my question.

Can you write a small tsu in katakana? Would you use the katakana character or the hiragana?

>Can you write a small tsu in katakana?
Of course.
>Would you use the katakana character or the hiragana?
If you're writing in hiragana you use っ, if you're writing in katakana you use ッ.

read the guide
it doesn't answer your question but you should read it anyway since you clearly havent installed an ime yet

>and the first page of Google aren't answering my question.
Yes it is.
lmgtfy.com/?q=Can you write a small tsu in katakana?

Manic Time Tracker is a pretty good way to see just how much of a failure and procrastinator you are.

This.
desuarchive.org/a/thread/148000330/#148047433

youtube.com/watch?v=BCfUMCwr4dM

I'll pick out Bakemonogatari for a group later, I've decided to pick out Yotsubato for everyones first reading material.

Read for personal enjoyment; everything else is irrelevant.

Oh no, I've already picked out reading material for me a long time ago. I'm just worried that someone will look like a fool when they read out loud on a mic.

>I'm just worried that someone will look like a fool when they read out loud on a mic.
Why?

Deleting your own post to push a shitposting agenda? Why?

I copypasted an archive post onto the wrong tab, no agenda here (not in this thread, at least)

xtu
xtu then i press convert to kata
noice

What's the différence between
月曜日 コーヒーを飲みます
月曜日はコーヒーを飲みます
月曜日にコーヒーを飲みます

If I wanted to read about Japanese history and stuff, should I just go and read wikipedia pages? (I want to read it in Japanese)

Yes.

>月曜日 コーヒーを飲みます
I will drink monday coffee
>月曜日はコーヒーを飲みます
I will drink coffee on monday
>月曜日にコーヒーを飲みます
This one doesn't work at all

None

About the last one i had the confirmation of a native speaker but he didn't succeed in telling me the difference due to lack of english abilities

+ that it was correct

>This one doesn't work at all
How so? に is specifying the time in which you drink the coffee.

The first and second sentence mean the same thing, user.

>when you're on Mount Stupid and give out advice

Who are you quoting?

Your mom when she quoted a shitty old /jp/ meme.

It sounds to me like "I will drink coffee on monday and NOT before that"

but this stuff depends too much on context and you should just read more

The に here works in the same way as は.

> 月曜日 コーヒーを飲みます
> 月曜日にコーヒーを飲みます
この2つは一緒

> 月曜日はコーヒーを飲みます
これも大体同じだけど、Monday is coffee dayっぽいニュアンスがある

There is always a difference in nuance between different choices of particles, even if you aren't good enough at nihongo to sense it.

Does 月曜日はコーヒーをのみます
not read as
"Monday drinks coffee"
to anyone else?
The 1st and 3rd are the same, as in
(私は)月曜日(に)コーヒーを飲みます。
But in the 2nd, you've marked 月曜日 as the subject by using は

>to anyone else?
No because は is not a subject marker. It is a topic marker.

No because that's not how は works.

It promotes the same meaning. It's pretty much interchangeable in this case. I'm open to corrections. If you are enough at nihongo, that is.

As suggested, は sounds like it is a regular thing. But again this shit depends on context and with the right context は could be comparative.

google.co.jp/?gws_rd=ssl#q="月曜日にコーヒーを飲みます"
google.co.jp/?gws_rd=ssl#q="月曜日はコーヒーを飲みます"
google.co.jp/?gws_rd=ssl#q="月曜日にコーヒーを飲む"
google.co.jp/?gws_rd=ssl#q="月曜日はコーヒーを飲む"
What the go with Google? I find it hard to believe there would be so little exact matches for this sort of phrase.

月曜日何曜日でも私はゲイ

holy shit this guy can really dekiru tell me your secrets please I'll suck your dick man

have a japanese girlfriend *flashes v sign @ the camera*

Maybe with some context it would make more sense, but as a standalone sentence I still think you've marked Monday as the "topic" and not given another "subject" that's doing the drinking, defaulting to the "topic."
Ie,
私は、コーヒーを飲みます
userは、コーヒーをのみます
月曜日は、コーヒーを飲みます
All say "x drinks coffee."
In context you would have something like
コーヒーを飲みますか?
月曜日はコーヒーを飲みます
Implying you drink coffee on Monday, at least (but haven't said anything about the other days). Without the context the nuance is lost.

The context here is that 月曜日, being a day of the week, cannot perform actions such as drinking. If it was 月曜日がコーヒを飲みます instead, then your interpretation would be correct (and, consequently, the sentence would be nonsensical.)

Fair enough