Is it worth it to become an animator in Japan?

Is it worth it to become an animator in Japan?

I have read a lot that the animators live under very bad conditions with terrible salaries.

But there are so many great animators there. And young animators like Miso, Norifumi Kugai and Bahi JD keep joining the industry.

I'm considering to move to Japan and start as an inbetweener. I'm half japanese so moving to Japan is the easy part. I'm just worried that it will not be a good future for me.
My parents are also totally against it.

>animator
>in Japan
>he literally wants to be beggar abroad
just go beg for money on the street, in your home country or get a degree that will help your own country you fuck

If you get to work on Flip Flappers I would say it's worth it. Just make sure they flip their flaps in the second season. Try to whisper it into the director's ears.

>help your own country you fuck
Fuck that. Your own happiness comes first.

good riddance, another burden off America's back

Go for it user.
Don't listen to these assholes.
It's going to be very hard but you can do it. May the Yoshinari force be with you.

>help your own country you fuck
what kind of autism was that?!

You need three things:

Mastery of the language (reading, speaking, and of course typing) - communication is key
Connections, because you don't just waltz into a studio and announce you want to work on their anime
Energy

Have you seen the BD extras on how anime is made? Trigger is very transparent with their production process and I suggest you take a good hard look at the work environment they have. The work will be unrelenting and meticulous and very likely deprive you of sleep. Even the veterans like Sushio become miserable sometimes. You will have to really love your work to keep at it and matching patience when the director tells you cuts 14-19 simply won't do, the anatomy is wrong HERE and HERE, the wrist does not curve that way in real life, and overall it simply doesn't flow; go back to your desk and fix.

If you are prepared for all of this, however, go for it. It's really up to you and your level of motivation. And your skill. Post some of your drawings if you're confident.

t. user who has a cousin working for JC Staff

If you're actually good enough to get a job in it and have a back-up plan just in case then go for it

>I'm half japanese so moving to Japan is the easy part.

>Half japanese

they will treat you like a bastard just like the koreans.
Anime is just shit that I consume just to escape from my horrible life. Nothing of value lost or gained with you or without you in that dead industry.

Go back to /pol

>they will treat you like a bastard just like the koreans
No they won't, halfies are regarded with curiosity and interest bordering on amusement. Koreans are viewed with bland politeness masking distaste.

>JC Staff
What is he working on?

>Miso
His scene in evangelion is overrated
>Norifumi Kugai
webgen is shit
>Bahi JD
webgen is shit and gaijins gtfo

She, and the last anime she mentioned working on was Heavy Object. I haven't talked to her in a while so I don't know what she's working on right now. She told me last year that Shokugeki no Soma was confirmed to get at least another season regardless of S1's poor sales.
>tfw she keeps rusing me about Index S3

If you have the motivation and willpower for it, i don't see why not. But you really need to make sure this is something you want to do if you are putting all your money on the table for it, since you are after all considering to move to a different country.
But if it is your dream, and you are really serious about it then go for it senpai!

You need a portfolio to show of your animation work, because how talented you are and how impressive your portfolio is usually what matters. That's atleast how it is here where i live. I'm gonna guess the art industry isn't that different in japan.

Go for it user.
Why don't you start as a key-animator though?
If you are already decent you don't need to do inbetweening first.
Just practice and go straight to key-animation.

Hideaki Anno, Bahi JD, Shingo Yamashita and Ryo-Chimo all started as a key-animator.

>Is it worth it to become an animator in Japan

No

This would be a Fucking Stupid thing to do.

>willingly moving abroad to get paid less and treated like garbage

Weebs always make the dumbest decisions

>Hideaki Anno
Anno is not an animator.
Where did you get that from?! lol

If they enjoy their job, why should they stop?

>Anno is not an animator.
please at least go check his wikipedia for once.

If you're really good and are passionate about animation then it could be worth a shot. But still you have to think this through properly and always remember that working in animation is tough.

If you have a portfolio of indie works like those guys, you are not asking this question on Sup Forums.

because they can't afford to eat you fucking moron

If you want to, then do it. It's not going to be an easy job, nor a well-paying job, but you might find it satisfying.

By the way, Kugai is in his 30s.

Those guys are unique cases, starting as a key animator isn't a realistic prospect. There's nothing wrong with working as an inbetweener anyway.

Great animator can produce art like this

I assume the recommendation is to build one first.

>Is it worth it to become an animator in Japan?
Yes it is, but only if you enjoy poverty.

>But there are so many great animators there.
False. America is the undisputed king of animation (but not anime of course.) You need to decide if you want to be an animator or just want to draw anime shit.

Did she shlick to Hime?
What about that scene with the loli idol pilot?

>Is it worth it to become an animator in Japan?

Imagine working for UFOTABLE on God Eater. That would have been glorious.

>America is the undisputed king of animation
Not anymore in 2D animation though.

It's great if you work at KyoAni, the pay and working conditions are literally the biggest in the industry.
BUT you need to be literally top 0.1% to even get there.

>the pay and working conditions are literally the biggest in the industry.

That’s not entirely true. The only difference between KyoAni and everyone else is the fact that they pay their animators an actual wage instead of by the frame/page/etc. Thus why the animation is often so fucking excessive.

>excessive animation
Oh boy