What the fuck happened?

What the fuck happened?

They went outside and discovered that it's shit

Everyone with even a modicum of intellegence realized that the world and people are shit, and hey, if being by yourself or doing geeky things with your friends makes you happy, then what's wrong with being a NEET or isolating yourself?

As if those "Anime back then" didn't specifically pander to social outcasts.

But geeks are awesome and the neet life rules.

Anime saw a huge improvement there. Nothing wrong.

It got worse, it was better before.

Sup Forums also got more cancerous since then.

>NHK and Lucky Star aired less than a year apart.

Regardless of whether or not the image is true the turning point has to be somewhere doesn't it?

What happened was you found Sup Forums four weeks ago.

I wasn't going to answer to this thread because OP clearly just wants to see some shitflinging, but the lack of self awareness in this post is either masterfully crafted or delightfully ironic.

It got better.

You cherry picked a bunch of examples to make an image so you could shitpost

>What the fuck happened?
turns out going outside doesn't magically fix your crippling social problems

>Sup Forums memes on Sup Forums
the turning point for when Sup Forums went to shit was when this behavior became acceptable

name one recent anime that was anti-NEET instead of pandering to them.

How so?

They didn't. Back in the '80s and '90s, anime was not seen as being for NEET losers in Japan. Anime otaku were stereotyped as nerds, sure, but tech nerds who hung out at hobby shops. The concept of a waifufag hikikomori whose room is plastered with cum-covered figurines is modern.

>Umaru and the cast of Lucky Star are NEETs
I think you are confusing NEET and otaku friendo, then you'd be somewhat correct

Tomoko isn't a neet either she goes to school.

the late 90s - early 00s... era of grimdark dystopia, awkward digital art and mopey introspection

>self-reflective shows about isolation and human characters like NHK and Eva

Are these kinds of shows truly dead?

>Watamote tells you that neet life is awesome.

Has the person that make this watched even a single episode?

In fact, old anime was much more geek-orientated, while modern anime relies mostly on casuals, teens and women.
Gone are the "big crazes for otaku" type of series.

New Game

FIRST POST BEST POST

I will never understand why people like welcome to the NHK so much
Episode 4 and 19 are horrible quality wise, actually the whole show has a lot of problems with this, the story goes nowhere for huge amounts of time, Sato is a dumbass, and I mean he's literally stupid as fuck, and the fucking ending was a disappointing recycled plot-point
Yes Misaki is cute, I get it and the MMO part was fun but that's it

Re:Zero
ReLife

People always feel good about themselves when they think they are watching something smart that's putting the whole society in a different perspective, so they think they are special snowflakes too, on some level.
That's the main appeal of NHK really.

>bartender anime

No, it's a mess of exposition dumps that kills the flow.

So it's a feelgood anime since you know you'll never end up as bad as Sato?

It's a feelgood anime, because it makes losers think they are still not at the bottom, and above society, while it makes normalfags think that they are very strong people, but also unique and different from the "rest of the sheep".

Its not perfect but It portrayed its themes very well and while exaggerated a bit the characters felt more realistic than most anime characters.

Can you cite any examples for your very vague claims?

What are you talking about? The appeal is that it takes a realistic and introspective approach to a negative lifestyle and state of mind. You sound like you didn't understand what you were watching very well.

Studios figured out that they could sell more shit by pandering to that specific demographic.

>lol2deep4u
I bet you also liked Evangelion

>you didn't understand NHK
Yup, here comes the "I'm so intellectual for liking the deep show that is NHK" kind of mentality, thanks for proving my point.

/thread

>haibane
>sophisticated
I would not say that. It's a little on the nose honestly. It looks VERY pretty though.

kek

Well these days anime is basically synonymous to "female orientated", whereas male otaku has been banished to manga/LN/VNs instead of anime.

I think he is saying that you'd need to be blind not to understand what it's about, rather than the show being particularly deep.

Haibane is very style over substance.
Not that it's bad, it just doesn't have that much to say, the appeal is in how it says it. Guess that could qualify as sophisticated in a pretty literal sense.

Not the guy you're responding to but I've never seen anyone (on Sup Forums at least) treat NHK like its a deep show and acting pretentious for "getting it"

What it mostly boils down to is that the message of the show is so easy to understand that its amazing that people miss the point to such a simple story.

Nope, they just realized who their target audience was and catered to it as such.

Never did I say it was particularly "deep". In fact there's nothing too deep about it, the concepts and themes of the show are very easy to understand. It's a realistic take on a subject that isn't tackled much in that way in anime. The guy who wrote the book literally went through the same kind of shit. And its not like you have to be in Sato's position to relate to the themes of the show.

This.

I just got mad at the above stuff and at Sato and Yamazaki
It's not fucking realistic in the slightest
Watch episode 4 and 19 again, they have QUALITY out the ass
The story literally goes nowhere
>Sato's a neet
>tries thing (writing for a game, MMO, meeting former crush)
>fails, postpones thing
>Sato's a neet
It's pointless
And he's stupid
>I know this is a pyramid scheme, it's a trap, but I'll fall for it anyway
I mean seriously?
And Yamazaki is another piece of work
He likes a girl, she isn't disgusted by him, he still drives her away
And as a feel good otaku pandering he gets a hot gf as soin as he goes home, really make me think
And they already had the "neet is starving with no money and has to actually work to feed himself" part with Kobayashi's brother and they recycled it for the MC? Fucking really? What a shitshow, it makes the entire thing pointless, just cut off his money in ep 1 and nothing changes

Sauce?

>realistic take on a subject that isn't tackled much

>The story literally goes nowhere
And? It seems you like plot-driven shows more than character-driven ones.
On that note, some fun trivia: the author hoped he'd be able to stop being a NEET after having written the novel and it being successful. But in the afterword(?) to the second edition, he admitted to not having been able to change his lifestyle, because comfortably living off the royalties made it easier to continue being a NEET.
About the pyramid scheme thing, I think that might have been anime original. But don't quote me on this, I don't remember for sure.

quentin keeps getting more and more cringy with time

If you published a successful book, are you really still a NEET? I assume you're just hikki at that point

>fails, postpones thing
Makes sense for the character.

>He likes a girl, she isn't disgusted by him, he still drives her away
That Isn't very far from reality happened to me

Can't really tell you much more about it. I remember some parts being anime-only fillers and others not happening in the anime.

I can see where the author wanted to go, though I feel the "good end" affected the outcoming and the tone of the show a lot.

That happens in the LN

>It's not fucking realistic in the slightest

In your opinion what is a "realistic" show? Genuinely curious.

>Sato's a neet
>fails, postpones thing
>Sato's a neet

The show is meant to reflect real life. How things don't usually work out like they do in stories. That's one of the main themes of it. They even directly reference it in the show.

Did you miss the part where he had to leave Tokyo?

> just cut off his money in ep 1 and nothing changes

Yes, nothing changes except the massive amount of character development throughout the show.

To be fair when the novel was written the subject wasn't tackled much. Also NHK is a lot more realistic than most shows about neets, I mean t5hey could of went the otaku pandering route and actually made Misaki his waifu and have her save him. But they instead made her into a deceitful girl playing out to her own interests and looking down on Satou for being the way he is.

If I remember correctly, 2010 Sup Forums was ravaged by anontalk bots, cancerous tripfags, and so on. It's only good during the night.

Yeah.
What the fuck?

>That happens in the LN

I'm pretty sure koybayashi didn't come along until the manga. The novel mostly covered the core stuff no mmo arc no offline meeting and no pyramid scheme. All of that stuff was added in the manga.

See, this might be why people accuse you of not getting it. To me it is pretty apparent that he did this to make it easier on himself - and her - because he had to go home and saw no possibility of a future with her.
I guess that depends on how you define "employment" and whether you have a contract with the publisher (is collecting royalties either of those?)
>That happens in the LN
Alright, though that was only in the anime and/or manga, but not the novel.

This image is still dumb. Moe shows existed in the 80s-90s sure, but weren't completely oversaturated and spammed every season. They were all generally much higher quality and aimed at children and not manchildren.

>Anime now
>Not a single neet
>Anime then
>At least 2
Nice bait

user-kun, bait denwa

>could of
>nhkfags
You can't even make this up

>Bakemonogatari
>moe
What?

>The concept of a waifufag hikikomori whose room is plastered with cum-covered figurines is modern
Not really. Just watch Otaku no Video, that stereotype has been there since the 80's

But it's not even character driven
The characters don't change
They are static
Pic related has more character development in one episode than the entire cast of WttNHK
Evangelion is already better, the characters actually change during it
The reason he fails is because Sato doesn't give a shit, he has no backbone, no determination, no anything, it doesn't even make sense that he actually does anything at all
He could have figured something out, stay in the city no matter what, fuck the family, she moves to the farm with him, at least try before giving up

>stay in the city no matter what, fuck the family,
And in some alternate reality where that happened, you'd be complaining about him being an asshole.
> she moves to the farm with him
Come on now. They were not nearly that close yet, and she is trying to be a seiyuu.
Try something before giving up? A long distance relationship maybe, but we know how those work out most of the time. And because of that, he wanted to make it easier for both.

Even though the whole hedgehog dilemma and end made it rather grim and unresolvable, ultimately, the hope and will are the strongest forces that still prevail.

Not surprising you don't find it realistic when your perception of human interaction is so retarded. Yamazaki driving away the girl was him burning a bridge. He had to go back to his farm and didn't want to live with the thought of what could have been. Live a little, you might experience something like that. About the story going nowhere, that's exactly how it should have been. At the end, still, Satou leaves us with a 'I'm trying and I'll see how I long I can keep up trying.' There's no profound coming of age story here. He's just learned to value himself as a person. You can spout memes about wagecuck or whatever, but he still did something that's legitimate work.

They realized otaku are going to otaku and they weren't simply acting out, simply telling them to grow up and stop being otaku would further alienate them from the few social connections they have to the real world.
So instead they let the otaku be but wanted to show them they didn't need to cut themselves off socially or stop being who they were to live a fulfilling life.

Well that's what Umaru and re:zero and did anyway

>But it's not even character driven
>The characters don't change
>They are static

>Satou

Goes from a neet who can barley hole a conversation to having a job and becoming more relaxed around people

>Misaki

Goes from hating herself and relying on Satou to feel better about herself to actually trying to better herself (going back to school)

>Yamazaki

Goes from a bitter otaku with a dream to a person that has to accept reality and realize his responsibility for his family's farm.

>Hitomi

Goes from being a depressed drug addict who blames all of her problems on conspiracys to a somewhat happy mother.

So static I know.

>go outside

I've always hated this phrase. Where the fuck do adults go when they go outside? Every normie I know just goes to a bar to get drunk. I can do that at home for 1/10th of the price.

The point of shinji's character arc is that the possibility of succeeding is worth getting hurt, aka action > inaction in its most basic form
So i guess i just agree, but wanted to sound like a pretentious git

It's called cherrypicking

>the characters don't change

wew

>Evangelion is already better
>the show that's widely held to be the best character drama in anime history does it better!

wew

Reading your posts it actually makes perfect sense you'd like K-On

I find it funny that he complains about it being unrealistic and then point to things like the pyramid schemes. It's like he doesn't know that in real life, the situations of people who get stuck in that shit is even more absurd than what we see in fiction.

I'd like to add that the number of rape and tentacle doujinshi involving mahou shoujo lolis that you see from early comikets (which has existed since 1975) should be enough evidence on its own.

The thing is that the show self is way different than the actual novel, and I mean WAY different and it kind of shows as it's just kind of too overexpansive and comprehensive, which actually works as a story, but it makes it less relateable/believeaable/genuine as a lifestory of an actual person.

I think of it a bit as paradox, even though you're gonna get hurt the closer you get to people, wanting to push them away, you should never stop trying getting closer to them, which is in my opinion true and good advice for most people.

WHAT

THE

FUCK

YOU FUCKING AMERICANS DID THIS DIDN'T YOU

Member when Anime was good.

Bend over so I can stick my member up your ass, /r9k/ shitter.

>anime then
>mature and sexy girls having modest bust
>anime now
>everyone who isn't a "scawny little kid" has huge balloon tits
No, japanese are more huge boob obsessed than any other nation in the world, especially anime.

well technically americans are responsible for classic anime since it was more inspired by Disney and western cartoons

modern anime is inspired by south korean dogpuke and further flanderization of the medium

The anime industry got taken over by people who grew up doing nothing but watching anime.

...that's the definition of hedgehog's dilemma, and yes, Shinji's arc is in part about coming to terms with that, and yeah it applies to everyone in a similar situation.
There's also the parts about accepting yourself, though that isn't exclusive to Shinji, and about figuring out the why behind things, which again isn't exclusive to Shinji...
Man, I've heard people describe the message of NGE as 'the outside world isn't so scary, stop being a shut-in' and yeah, you can take it as that, but that's just scratching the goddamn surface

Everyone's got different experience and beliefs. Arguing realism gives me a headache.

>ykk has an anime
WHEN WHAT HOW

it's a 2 episode OVA

Ah, 2010 Sup Forums. How I miss staying up and not doing my high school projects due the next day so I can shitpost all night long

No, he'd do the right thing
He still was wrong to not even try
Burning bridges with an ex is good, burning bridges with a girl you like and where there's potential is stupid
And I don't see Sato as a wagecuck, I actually admire the working class, the working class is the foundation of society
Yes I know, but Sato really shouldn't have fallen for it
He knew what it was, yet it still happened it was nonsensical, when people fall for it they don't know what they're getting into
That could have happened in episode 1 for Sato, besides he never had problems yelling at Yamazaki
Oh she goes back to school but still binds Sato with another contract, and still uses him a crutch
So something that was completely out of his control because it would have happened anyway since his family was gonna call him back anyway
Hitomi was unfortunately a side-character
Meet and talk to people
Admittedly it's not that important now thanks to phones and the internet

I know what I'm watching next
Arigato gozaimasu

>tfw you were the perfect age for the edgy 2deep4u anime when it was the norm
>tfw anime grew up with you and now it's titties and qt3.14s

>anime now
>literally a collage of the shittiest girls in anime
Nice narrative you've got there

This is a good thing, it's an impervious industry populated by people who really love what they do, and love the medium and the culture

>comparing the best girls of then to the worst girls of now

It turned into shit thanks to you.

I just did find it rather conflicting, since the show's laid down quite hard that the hedgehog dilemma applies, yet you should keep on pushing, which in a way doesn't make much sense, since the result of you trying's going to be you getting hurt. The ultimate idea is to overcome it, but it still ends up muddled at best.

And I think that Shinji's probably the person that needs to accept himself the least out of the main characters, since I think that the biggest part of his issues are actually with relation to others, not within himself, though his daddy issues certainly would count.

>implying this is new
The phenomenon of otaku was being remarked on and shit on (for basically all the same reasons it is now) by the end of the 70s, user. It takes less than ten years for a geeky elementary schooler to grow into a working adult. These people who grew up doing nothing but watching anime took over more than 30 years ago. Miyazaki even complained in 1988 that contemporary anime creators had joined because they liked anime rather than reality, and that it had "been pigeonholed as a market for anime maniacs by anime maniacs." You're complaining about events that probably happened while you were learning to read.