I just watched the first episode of Hyouka

I just watched the first episode of Hyouka.
Is there anything happening in that show at all, or will the whole season be one no-substance episode after another?
I'm confused as to what the show offers at all, and who the target demographic is.

They won't even kiss.

So it's an almost-romance aimed at girls? Well, at least now I know not to waste my time, thanks.

GB2 NARUTO NARTARD

I liked it nevertheless.

Oreki gets some good character development and most of the mysteries are interesting enough.

It's a thoughtful drama about coming of age. Not for everyone though

I'm more into Seinen, thanks.

Not judging you for it, whatever floats your boat.

Since it's told from the perspective of school kids (like 90% of all anime), that holds little value to me personally.

Its boring shit with great production quality.
>just watched one episode
Please go.

Just watch it for best girl

Obvious bait from someone who has either watched all of Hyouka and didn't like it (probably because they're a MANIME faggot) or has never watched it but hates KyoAni.

Check these.

>Is there anything happening in that show at all, or will the whole season be one no-substance episode after another?
It has the best school festival arc ever in anime.

>I'm confused as to what the show offers at all, and who the target demographic is.
At face value it is a coming of age tale with some mundane mysteries thrown in. The mysteries are fun enough - the big ones especially - and don't force you to suspend your disbelief that a murder is being committed every week in their school.

I've tried to watch this anime three different times OP, and in all three occasions I literally fell asleep.

>it's an almost-romance
Welcome to every KyoAni "masterpiece" for the past 8 or 9 years.
Garbage fucking studio that does nothing but terrible adaptions.

>that holds little value to me personally
Me neither, but it is artfully made. You don't have to like it---it's very Japanese. It reminds me of films by the legendary Japanese director Yasuhiro Ozu

>Since it's told from the perspective of school kids (like 90% of all anime), that holds little value to me personally.

you don't need to self insert to relate to or at least understand the motivation/situation of characters in fiction... was your reaction to watching the Iron Man movie: "I'm not a charismatic genius playboy inventor" so I probably won't like it?

>Coming of age

This meme again?

You're over-abuse of the word meme, is a meme.

>KinoAni
>garbage studio
Kill yourself.

I think KyoAni has some fairly entertaining works though, my favorite among them Lucky Star.

It definitely has nice art and more 'framerate' than I'm used to, no doubt.

I wouldn't even mind watching yet another anime set in this cliche, but it has to at least entertain me in some way, grab my attention with something to think about, even if it's not genius. This was lacking completely in the first episode, and it didn't give the impression that it would change later on at all.

>This was lacking completely in the first episode, and it didn't give the impression that it would change later on at all.

all dat shit taste detected. can't fix shit taste unfortunately. just neck yourself, newfag.

Look, it's an anime steeped in japanese culture and tradtion, very dialogue heavy. For people who appreciate that and the visual mastery, it's nearly incomparable among TV anime. But it's a slow show and it sounds like its not for you. But if you really want to know watch through episode 5--the first arc is well written and interesting. If you don't like it after episode 5, drop it. it's only 90 minutes of your life anyway

It's not a show that everyone can resonate with. Since it aired on the noitaminA TV slot, its target demographic are people who like both anime and books for a lack of a better description.

If you like the mystery genre and don't need murder to catch your interest, then you may like this show. The mysteries are unconventional compared to Gosick, Sakurako-san, and UN-GO, but they are very well constructed. The author of the source material knows what he's doing and he was greatly involved in the production of the anime. If you haven't seen much mystery anime before, then I recommend starting out with UN-GO.

another reason for watching this is if you're a seiyuu-fag. the entire cast is made up of all big name seiyuu. even the no-name background characters who shouldn't even be credited are big name seiyuu. it's mind boggling how they can flag down jun fukuyama or ayana taketatsu for like 2 lines of dialogue

i'm 14 episodes into this and i'm really enjoying it. the way the mysteries are framed is very interesting, the characters are all very strong, and it's a phenomenal work, visually, with a lot of interesting styles interplaying with each other and clever visual metaphor

it's certainly not for everyone, especially considering the pace, but it's a very high quality work and i imagine if you're a fan of the genre you'll be very satisfied

It has a weak first episode, honestly. At least the first half of the first episode was weak, because it's got all this terrible Oreki and Chitanda exposition and they're the worst characters in the show. If the second half of the first episode appealed to you more than the first half, I would recommend giving the next episode a try. At least wait until you're introduced to Mayaka.

Worth a watch, a nice chill series.

>Implying your time will ever worth of anything
You're on Sup Forums, you're already waste your time, what do you think you're doing here?

In my opinion. At least watch until the 3rd episode. Not because of the 3rd episode rule but because this is the point that hits home the formula of the series.

You SHOULD watch Hyouka if:
>You like great characters
>Phenomenal Animation
>Subtlety

You should NOT watch Hyouka if:
>You're expecting some big world changing plot
>Hotaro to be a badass who gets a harem
>Any kind of non SOL type stuff.

Yes, the mysteries are small, tedious things and in my opinion that is what makes the show so fucking Great. Any show can make a locked room murder mystery. There is a main over arching plot to each section but there's also a small b-plot episode every episode or two. It's a fun ride if you just sit back, and let it take you where it wants you to go.

Wow I didn't really know that. I'll have to pay more attention to the side characters when I rewatch this.

Whats interesting about Hyouka is despite what an admittedly sleeper it was. It's got a lot of big names and had a fucking huge budget.

it's good, ending would have been better if Oreki's imagination was real

Why do we get one of these every day now?

Slice of life mystery show.
Take it or leave it.

Because Hyouka fans are easy marks for whatever reason.

>character development
>can't even confess in the end
Nićhe meme.

can't blame Hotaro for being an Ane-complex. if Satsuki Yukino ordered me around (or Yukana for that matter) I would happily be her hapless pawn

The daietsu trading episode is the only good thing in this series.

>it's certainly not for everyone,
Of course not. People who can't follow or appreciate visual storytelling as well as the kind of idiots who think seinen is a genre will never understand this.

>I just watched the first episode of Hyouka.
Why do people keep judging a two courses show by watching the first episode of it?

missing chromosomes

shit thread 2/10 kill yourself her'es your you