Did you like The Tale of the Princess Kaguya?

Did you like The Tale of the Princess Kaguya?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W2AyNVK5_vE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>not liking a Ghibli film
Of course I did.

One of my favorite jibblies

Yes, next question.

It was pretty good.

the ending was great

I expected something beautiful and heartwarming and it was soul crushing

Probably my favorite Ghibli film.

Yes, I loved it. I love Takahata a little bit more than Miyazaki.

>kaguya
get back in the folder bitch

Saw it four times in the theaters. Best Ghibli movie, favorite film. Is this a trick question?

It's legit anime kino

Yes, it was gorgeous and the story was well realised.
It defiantly could have been 30-45 minutes shorter, the middle slowed to a crawl, but that's just what happens when you faithfully adapt folklore.

It's a masterpiece.

Good movie, fuck moon assholes tho

Best animated feature film of all time.

As a story yes.

As an animation, sadly not that often as the material is rarely done well enough to do the story justice. However the Ghibli adaption did not fall into this hazard, as a consequence I rate it higher than most others.

How can you not like it?

youtube.com/watch?v=W2AyNVK5_vE

Not sure why it was so great, but it was, felt close to tears by the end.

What's the best Takahata film?
>Only Yesterday
>Grave of the Fireflies
> The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

It was great, but I was a teeny bit disappointed with it. Still a fantastic movie.

Only Yesterday and Horus

Final boss.

biggest oscar snub in terms of animated features

I thought Takahata took a lot of liberties in fleshing out the story?

She wanted to go back and they fulfilled her wish.
I have to admit though, I always laugh when they just put her that crown on her head while she's delivering her speech like "Yeah yeah, that's nice, honey."

>biggest oscar snub in terms of animated features

Not surprised though, bet most of the reviewers never even bothered to play the screening disc. Probably made their choices based on what they took their little kiddies to go see in the theater.

I've been watching Ghibli films lately and I wasn't really planning on watching this one. Is it actually good, or are the people that like this the same ones that pretend Grave of Fireflies is a masterpiece?

It's good, as is Grave of the Fireflies.
Recommended Ghibli viewing is anything directed by Miyazaki, Takahata and Kondo (just Whisper of the Heart because he died).

>It's good, as is Grave of the Fireflies.
I'll be skipping it then. Thanks for saving my a couple of hours.

I want Kaguya-hime to demean me.

Your loss.

Given that I thought Grave of Fireflies was mediocre at best if I were in the mood for a "war is bad, now be sad" movie, and this is getting likened to it in terms of quality, I don't think so.

That's a shallow interpretation of Fireflies, but regardless Kaguya-hime isn't a war movie.

I cried like a bitch to this film. It's good, but I can't watch it again. I would suffer from dehydration.

That's the thing, it's not though. The fact that it's a sad movie and made by Ghibli doesn't make it inherently well put together or meaningful. I never insinuated that Kaguya was also a war movie, just that if it's the same director and ranked at the same level of quality, then it probably isn't worth watching.

So you have shit taste, got it.

You seem pretty stuck in your ways, so I won't push it any further. Have fun with whatever you consider good, then.

>You have shit taste because you don't like this thing I like
>No I won't explain why it's good or why what you said was wrong
So you're a retard, got it.

>You seem pretty stuck in your ways
Not liking bad film? Yeah. I've never been of the mindset that something sad or serious is inherently good.

>Have fun with whatever you consider good, then.
Of the Ghibli films I've seen, Totoro and Mononoke Hime were absolutely fantastic. I will continue to enjoy nice things, thanks.

Where are you getting this "sad is inherently good" thing from? No one said anything about that.

that's not the meaning of the grave of fireflies senpai, it's not an american movie.

it's about respecting the previous generation's suffering and how the weak, unproductive daydreamers died off.

I retract my previous opinion.
It's not (only) that you have shit taste.
You're literally too stupid to understand a children's movie.

Yes, I think I need to give it a rewatch

I haven't seen any other praise given to it, nor can I imagine what people see in it besides that and the commentary about war.

>it's about respecting the previous generation's suffering
Yes, war has victims. It really is hell on Earth. That isn't anything profound or unique to Japan with this war, nor was the presentation in this movie anything really thought provoking.

>and how the weak, unproductive daydreamers died off.
Yes, that happened. A 13 year old who laid around all day and then ran away with his sister instead of working for the good of the country got him and his sister killed. Still not anything particularly interesting.

>If you don't like what I like it's because you simply don't understaund it
Literally my favorite meme. Please senpai, enlighten me. Be sure to explain all that stuff I missed while watching it and how it makes the movie good.

Same here. I don't even know why I cried so much, I just couldn't stop.

Horus, really? I think it's interesting in the context of Takahata's latter films, but I don't think it's a particularly good movie in its own right.

It's not like you've offered any complaints besides "it's bad because being sad doesn't make it good." It's emotionally overwhelming but it's not manipulative. Characters are written sensitively and tactfully. The horrors of war and slow degradation of society are contrasted with serenely beautiful imagery. I really don't give a shit if you like it or not - tastes and all that - but you come off as the kinda guy who wants to flaunt about how great you are for not being fooled into liking a movie you, likely preemptively, decided was "overrated." That bugs me a bit.

Yeah, I think it's brilliant. Hilda is one of the greatest characters in anime, and the story is both exciting and thoughtful. I admit it appeals to me on a personal level because I really like these kinds of "classic" adventures about heroes with swords fighting evil, but I think it's easily one of his best.

>It's emotionally overwhelming but it's not manipulative
It's not emotionally overwhelming at all. It's sad, but the characters don't draw empathy from the viewer through any sort of skillfull characterization, it's just that they're young kids in a shitty situation. That's the definition of emotionally manipulative. "Look, a small cute girl is dying."

>Characters are written sensitively and tactfully.
No they aren't. The only character with even a semblance of nuance to them is the aunt. The rest are flat.

>The horrors of war and slow degradation of society are contrasted with serenely beautiful imagery.
Yes, war is bad, I already said they harped on it. I don't see what beautiful imagery you're talking about or how it contrasts. Do you know what contrast means, because at this point it just sounds like you're using words you've heard in movie reviews and sticking them together. Please tell me what scenes involved beautiful imagery and how that imagery contrasted the degradation of society.

>but you come off as the kinda guy who wants to flaunt about how great you are for not being fooled into liking a movie you, likely preemptively, decided was "overrated." That bugs me a bit.
And you're the kind of idiot who assumes that if someone doesn't like something you like, it's because they simply can't understand its brilliance, and that they couldn't possibly have understood it just fine but still have been underwhelmed. Your praise boils down to a bunch of a fluffy, hollow words.

I'm not trying to praise it or write a review for you, nor am I interested in doing so, rather just explain why I think you're wrong in assuming that people just like it cause it made them sad. Like I said, I don't care one way or another whether you liked it or not, but I think you're misjudging those who do. I apologize if I was off my mark at the end there but you're unreasonably hostile. Have you seen any of Takahata's other films, out of curiosity? I wonder if it's just the war thing that grinds your gears, or his overall style of filmmaking.

>buy DVD
>still didn't watch it
It's been 4 months already and I can't make myself watch it, or anything I have that I still haven't seen. Why is it so damn hard.

>but I think you're misjudging those who do.
I asked what was good about it because you said it wasn't as simple as I made it out to be, and your explanations as to why you liked it were hollow and didn't really explain anything at all. Of everyone I've talked to who's seen it, I know literally one person who's like it and that's because he likes sad movies. Keep in mind, I live in Japan, so anything along the lines of "well it's a cultural and historical thing, trust me it's significant" doesn't really work either because outside of that one person, everyone here just watches it once because it's a Ghibli film about Japanese history, which means people watch it out of obligation, and then they say "Yup, it was sad." and that's it. You have a problem with me misjudging? I have a problem with pretentious praise.

>Have you seen any of Takahata's other films, out of curiosity? I wonder if it's just the war thing that grinds your gears, or his overall style of filmmaking.
That's he's directed? I don't think so. I've seen stuff he's worked on and liked it. Also, you're making assumptions now. I've got no problems at all with war stories (or sad stories for that matter) but this movie just wasn't good. Outside of the usual Ghibli production values and the fact that it's a sad and "mature" story about war, I just can't see any merit at all in it.