Hey Sup Forums

Hey Sup Forums
Recently I’ve been thinking about reading the Bible. Idk why I just feel like it’ll help me become a better man and a better citizen( I’m conservative so might as well learn about the Bible). I’m not interested in stupid ass quotes bitches get tattood on them. More interested in biblical history and just reading it for the storyline.

I have both the New and Old Testaments. Where should I start? Does it have to be read in order?

Help me out Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke 11&version=KJV
biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis 16:1-10&version=NIV
mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0101.htm
biblehub.com/
bible.ort.org/books/cald5.asp?ACTION=DISPLAYWK&dayvalue=10&monthvalue=10&yearvalue=1970&SUBMIT=Find
torahportions.org/thisyear/
youtu.be/kFtI_mVOXbQ
drbo.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=o1vhXlSkVHE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also saw a previous thread on book of Enoch. Wtf is that? Is it even canon? I need a run down tl;dr version of everything because I’m so lost where to start.

just accept reincarnation and contemplate that for the rest of your life.

use the bible to wipe your ass with once the kikes tank the world economy.

faggot.

Just know the Bible is true. But not in the way most have been taught. You are on the right track. The Bible is full of extraterrestials

tupac is still alive

It's kind of a big book and you'd need a study guide or a mentor anyway to pick apart what it really means.

I suggest cracking it open to a random page and just reading what that particular page has to say. Sometimes it's just bullshit historical recordings or maybe there's something profound. If something rly maek u think then punch it in to the interbuttz and chase down what people think it really means.

John is a good place to start for the Gospel, Romans for doctrine, then start from the beginning and see how it all ties together.

Ubermensch exist and they are not our friends.
That's the rundown.

Reincarnation is your choice.

Start Matthew - John. If you can knock them over then keep going

Yes I’ve read online places that John is a good place to start. But why am I able to just hop in the middle? I feel like I’m missing huge amounts of context if I do that.

Start with Romans! Romans Chapters 1-8 in particular. You will learn about all parts of the bible, Abraham Isaac and Jacob, the law, King David, who Jesus Christ is and what the purpose of the cross was. Saved by grace through faith in His blood.
Great advice I got was read Romans 1-8 50 times.
in the KJV of course.

What is the difference between Old and New Testaments?

I’m trying to read this whole thing objectively. I was never made to go to church or anything as a kid. I’m trying to be unbiased and just find my own way.

Matthew, mark Luke John are all basically a duplicate of Jesus life. They are written more like a novel. You can always go back to the old testament when you've finished the new.

So you’re saying read the New Testament first and then the Old?

The book of Enoch is very interesting desu. It's not in most christian bibles but I think the Coptic church and Ethiopian church along with a few others have the book of Enoch

Well just the gospels at least. Then decide. The old testament is the history of the Jewish nation and the prophets. New testament is the story of the apostles and letters which make up Christian ethos I guess youd call it

Also, user, if you want to look into something holy and that's happened in recent times, look up:
>our lady of fatima
>our lady of Lourdes
>miracles of Saint padre pio
>incorruptible bodies of saints
There's so much more out there user it's crazy it's never on Sup Forums

>start with romans to learn about jews
Why not read the old testament then?

Gospel is literally "the good news" and ought to be the focus, but there's a lot of good historical context in the OT. Do both.

I don't approve of Mormonism, but I've been stuck in one of their hotels once or twice and they have recommended reading in the front depending on what's troubling you, and it's not too shabby. Kind of like if you wind up Roman Catholic and they select out certain portions of the bible to get you started.

Where do all of the things not in the Bible that are considered canon come from?

There’s lists of hundreds of different demons in Christianity not listed in Bible, but somehow there’s lots of history on them.

What is the structure of heaven?
What are archangels?
What’s the difference between them and regular angels?

Idk what im really trying to get at. I’m just really lost when it comes to Christianity. I want to learn more.

The Bible isn't something you read. It's like an encyclopaedia, it is meant to be referenced or specific sections are to be studied.
Reading it from front to back will just be confusing, so unless you're willing to jump from book to book, you're in for a rough start.

Jewish mythology and middle-ages/renaissance demonology books.

Well. Since no one else seems to care about you in this thread, I can help.
You will first read Luke chapter 11, verses 2-4. I recommend you read them aloud until their meaning sinks in.
This is important, but it is only the beginning.

Does anyone have a good order in which to read these. I am starting on John, but where to next?

Well. Since no one else seems to care about you in this thread, I can help.
You will first read Luke chapter 11, verses 2-4. I recommend you read them aloud until their meaning sinks in.
This is important, but it is only the beginning.

You should have started with Matthew.

Alright I guess I'll start at Matthew

>Bible isn't something you read
>go back to the old testament when you've finished the new

Look at all those excuses for not reading the Bible and skipping the entire first half. You know the Bible is garbage when even christians don't read it.

There is no wrong way to read the Bible. That said, there are 3 extremely important verses I wish you would meditate on.

You just need to start reading. Be like someone saying give me a quick run down on medicine.

Sup Forumstards are at it because you shouldn't read about Jews.

Isn't this the Lord's prayer?
The bible I have has it slightly different than what I remember as a kid

You just need to start reading. Be like someone saying give me a quick run down on medicine.
I didn't say skip the first half, I'm saying its easier to start with that instead of genealogy and hundreds of laws

>I didn't say skip the first half
>skip

That's exactly what you said.

Basically start reading the new testament then start on the old testament. People ask why this is and it's because basically you should read about Jesus first then interpret the old testament from that perspective instead of the other way around. Also new testament is definitely better than the old cause it has jesus

There are more befouled bibles than half-decent translation. KJV is the best English translation (some argue it to be a perfectly inspired rewriting of the divine word). I can't really recommend another version as most I have seen contain childish paraphrasing (which destroys meaning) at best and heresy or lies at worst.

Maybe it would be helpful if you tell us what brought you to this decision. Is something troubling you?

The bible I have is KJV.

Nothing is really troubling me I guess. I don't know I just feel as if something is missing. And I can see it in everyday life that I'm not as good as I can be. Whether that be in my academics, or at the gym, or just being with people. I just out of nowhere thought maybe I should read the bible see what this thing is all about.

You'll struggle to find proper guidance on a site like Sup Forums. I'd recommend reading it, praying about it and taking action on it.

You could start with the part where Mises commits genocide on the Midians and leaves only their virgin women for enslavement (pic related).

Or the part where Lot stops an angry mob from raping two male messengers by allowing them to rape his two virgin teenage daughters instead (genesis 19:8), but the two daughters get their revenge later on by raping him back (Genesis 19:31-35).

Enjoy :)

Well, no bad reason to start brushing up. Do you already consider yourself saved through forgiveness?

No

Hey user I know exactly what feeling you're talking about and the bible mentions this too. This feeling comes from consuming physical bread (materialism, hedonism, this world) which after it fills you up will leave you hungry instead of the bread of life (god, spirituality,the holy spirit) which will leave you satisfied in this life and the next. I hope you have your fill of life bread user and satisfy those cravings.

skim genesis, maybe a few other books from the old testament, idk, Job maybe?

then read the new testament

i'm a retarded atheist btw

protip: it's all metaphoric, not literal. There is not some guy in the clouds telling Abraham to kill his son, only to tell him "lol, jk" in the end.

(OP) #
You could start with the part where Moses (peace be upon him) commits genocide on the Midians and leaves only their virgin women for enslavement (pic related).

Or the part where Lot stops an angry mob from raping two male messengers by allowing them to rape his two virgin teenage daughters instead (genesis 19:8), but the two daughters get their revenge later on by raping him back (Genesis 19:31-35).

Enjoy christfag :)

Thank you I appreciate it. I hope I find what I'm looking for too.

KJV Romans is the starting point, every part of it is important

don't even look at the rest until youve read Romans and absorbed it, it contains all the necessary information about christianity

Do this OP.

Gospels > Acts > Revelation > Psalms > Proverbs > Ecclesiastes > Song of Songs > Epistles > full read through from Genesis

That is how the Bible should be read the first time.

The Gospel of Luke would be the best place to start.

the book of matthew is my fav. its best to go through with someon familiar with it and discuss. that said, eckhart tolle has the most accurate interpretations of jesus's teachings

>you'd need a study guide or a mentor
its called the Holy Spirit senpaialam

i highly disagree
epistles before revelation and genesis before revelation

Do you think those stories are supposed to teach you war and rape are nice, good things, or bad things you shouldn't do?

>Or the part where Lot stops an angry mob from raping two [angels] by [offering] them...his two virgin teenage daughters instead [but the mob refused and was struck with blindness]
(genesis 19:8), but the two daughters get their revenge later on by raping him back (Genesis 19:31-35).

Faggot larper can't even read.

yes they obviously do.

There's another part where Abraham's wife cannot have children so instead proposes for him to rape their slave girl, and when she escapes because of abuse and poor treatment then god's angel appears before her and tells her to submit to her masters. IM NOT FUCKING KIDDING. it's literally as bad as the Qu'ran

biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis 16:1-10&version=NIV

Genesis 16:1-10

>yes they obviously do.
Did you forget the part where it's written in big capital letters so that even the most low IQ retard can't possibly make such a silly misinterpretation?

THOU SHALT NOT KILL.

THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT ADULTERY.

>THOU SHALT NOT KILL.
god literally commanded the Israelites to murder every Midian (men, children and married virgin women) and keep their virgin women as sex slaves. see This is two books after the part where he gives Moses these "commandments",

oh well, but at least thou shalt not commit adultery was honored when he ordered married women be murdered along with their husbands and children.

The bible is a hypocrite's book.

Then don't read it

Update. Currently reading Johns. From my understanding Jesus said the Jews are the sons of the devil.
"Ye are of your father the devil,and the lusts of your father ye will do."

So basically confirmed by the bible, the word of god, that jews are the devil. This is what i'm looking for. The truth.

I don't anymore for these very reasons.

Here is good for the Old Testament:

mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0101.htm
Here is good for the New Testament:

biblehub.com/

This site is good if you want to eventually start playing around with specific dates. Putting in dates interesting to you (birthdays, anniversaries etc.) and also when important things in history happened (this can be very eye-opening).

bible.ort.org/books/cald5.asp?ACTION=DISPLAYWK&dayvalue=10&monthvalue=10&yearvalue=1970&SUBMIT=Find

You can always follow the weekly readings in the next link as it gives you a set reading each week and you end up reading the whole of the Old Testament this way and also start to learn about the Prophets:

torahportions.org/thisyear/

This is the first time I've actually posted here so my apologies in advance if I've cocked anything up.

I'll admit I ended up doing a 'Barry from Four Lions' on myself with the Bible. I started reading it originally to find decent curses for my perceived enemies and I think I actually ended up converting myself in the process heh.

Good luck on your journey!

Revelation 3:9

Because that is too much to read. You won't do it now. What you want is to gain as much knowledge as you can at first. You will learn clearly about Abraham and the promise made to him and the purpose of the law. You can read it in 20 minutes. The Old Testament would take you a year, if you ever did finish reading, and you wouldn't understand much if anything.

checkout informedchristians.com

awesome redpill material

why couldn't god just say the earth is a sphere moving around a star like clockwork?

If your time is limited and you want to get straight to the bussiness, then start with the Gospel of Matthew. Then the whole New Testament and then start from the beginning.
If you do have time and you do want to take it seriously, then start from the beginning of the Bible and go straight through. Won't take that long actually, if you put your will into it. You can through it with three months if want to.
As a secondary reading I recommend you a book entitled The Power of Positive Thinking by Dr. Norman Vincent Peal. This is an easy-read which will help you to get your life in check and want to study your Bible deeply too.

forgot about john 3:16 being the central message of the new testament. that is pure rubbish. do not read the story for the mythological arc. read it for the moral philosophy. read it for the sermon on the mount, read it for the message that is from the lips of jesus, not from a disciple or apostle. be yourself the simple farmer, approached from the wilderness by a great teacher. see luke 18:20-22 as a central message to start. do not think allegorically or mythologically. jesus was straightforward.

If you pay attention and don't come out with faith, something is wrong with you. Pay attention to the OT prophecies. If you want to see something that's going to happen soon, read Isaiah 17.

if jesus were here, he would not give a fucking shit about the shape of the world. he wouldn't even hear your question beyond all the other important shit that needs to be done. beaded whips and whatnot.

The early part of the Bible is full of retarded people doing retarded things because that's what people do unless God gives them clear instructions in capital letters carved into stone with his own finger. Don't believe me? Read the news or a history book. God wanted the Midianites destroyed because they were also retarded. He destroyed Israel numerous times because jews are most retarded of all. We are going to meet the same fate too unless we learn to interpret the Bible in a non-retarded way with the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Think, for example, about how our kids are enabled and encouraged by schools enforced by the state to mutilate their own genitalia even against their parent's consent, and how society and media attacks people who quite rationally object to this. It is not only retarded, it is criminally insane. Then take a look at London, Birmingham, Bradford, or Luton, read about UK demographics, project trends into the future, and consider how God destroys nations who act like retards.

>Because thou servedst not the LORD thy God with joyfulness, and with gladness of heart... Therefore shalt thou serve thine enemies which the LORD shall send against thee... The LORD shall bring a nation against thee from far, from the end of the earth, as swift as the eagle flieth; A nation whose tongue thou shalt not understand; A nation of fierce countenance, which shall not regard the person of the old, nor shew favour to the young: And he shall eat the fruit of thy cattle, and the fruit of thy land, until thou be destroyed... And he shall besiege thee in all thy gates, until thy high and fenced walls come down, wherein thou trustedst, throughout all thy land: And he shall besiege thee in all thy gates throughout all thy land, which the LORD thy God hath given thee.
Deuteronomy 28:47-52

Be careful. A little bit of knowledge is dangerous. Please don't skim a few chapters and then lose context. He was saying that the religious leaders were like their father the devil because they were not teaching the people but milking the position. They were hypocrites. He wasn't saying ethnic Jews, including himself were the devil.

because earth is fixed an does not move

1 Chronicles 16:30King James Version (KJV)
30 Fear before him, all the earth: the world also shall be stable, that it be not moved.

Psalm 93:1King James Version (KJV)
93 The Lord reigneth, he is clothed with majesty; the Lord is clothed with strength, wherewith he hath girded himself: the world also is stablished, that it cannot be moved.

Psalm 104:5King James Version (KJV)
5 Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever.

Isaiah 45:18King James Version (KJV)
18 For thus saith the Lord that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the Lord; and there is none else.

But your reasons are not arguments. They are bullshit.

This. Start with the Gospel according to John. Or Romans.
No, it is not canon. However, it is referred to in the Epistle of Jude, which is canon. Luther wasn't keen on Jude because of that. Enoch is about the Nephilim, afaik. Never read it myself.
Don't read all the gospels first. They say similar things.
John is the most different and the most important though.
Old Testament: pre-Christian Israelites. Not the same thing as 21st Century Jews, who are a branch of the Biblical Pharisees in the New Testament. Creation - ~500 BC.
New Testament: Jesus Christ. 1st Century AD.
Definitely.
Don't do this.
There's a lot of stuff which is borderline. Luther considers some stuff in the Bible to be more canonical than other stuff. John and the Pauline Epistles are especially canon. The canon is just what was decided upon in the ecumenical councils. Read the apocrypha, there's nothing wrong with it. Just after you've read the Bible.

Old - god is an asshole, attention seeking whore.

New - people are assholes to Jesus cause he is not a normie, but quite edgy.

Summary of both books - don't be an asshole.

1. If you're younger than 20, you are literally incapable of properly understanding the Bible. Read it, but don't read too much into it. Realize that you now know about 10% of what's in there.
2. if you're older and have enough experience to be able to tell truth from fabrication, and to understand the general scheme of things, you can read it, but you will understand around half of what you need to understand to be a good Christian, useful to God's cause.
3. Read the ancient Bibles (Codex Vaticanus and Codex Sinaiticus most importantly), learn ancient Greek or Latin if you have to, or find some translations and discussions online (I know it's hard, but it is the closest thing to the word of God).
You will realize that as soon as the Romans accepted Christianity as their religion, they have subverted the shit out of it.
4. Once you know about 90%, you get the general message (the real one). The rest is only about the refinement of your functioning. You start with an equilibrium between the modern world and Christian doctrine and then slowly give up the worldly pleasures in exchange for the blessing and/or strength of the soul.

bad summary. try this on for size - there is one god and he is the god of israel. here are his laws:

What is the structure of heaven: Hard to say. Dante Alighieri went into that in his fictional works. The Bible doesn't speak much about it though. A lot of stuff in Revelation though:
Then the angel showed me a river with the water of life, clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb. 2 It flowed down the center of the main street. On each side of the river grew a tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit,[a] with a fresh crop each month. The leaves were used for medicine to heal the nations.
3 No longer will there be a curse upon anything. For the throne of God and of the Lamb will be there, and his servants will worship him. 4 And they will see his face, and his name will be written on their foreheads. 5 And there will be no night there—no need for lamps or sun—for the Lord God will shine on them. And they will reign forever and ever.
Archangels: Only one: Michael. He is the greatest messenger of God. What Saint Peter is to Christians, so is Michael to the angels.
Romans, then read through all the way to the end. Then go back and read another gospel. Then Isaiah. Then another gospel. Then Genesis and Exodus. Then a third gospel. Then Samuel 1,2, Kings 1,2. If you get through all that, you know enough to decide what next to read.
John is more important, though Matthew is good as well. Matthew is the most Old Testament gospel. It refers back to a lot of Old Testament prophecies.
The translations aren't as important as Sup Forums makes out. Anything is better than nothing. Also, think about visiting a church.

ooh ooh do me

Don't spread the flat earth dumb theories. The earth is round and twisting the scriptures to say otherwise is tainting God's word

What?

The important thing about the KJV is that you can't go wrong with God from reading it. There is nothing sneakily satanic in it. But some of the passages' meanings are obscure on the finer details. A lot of the words don't have the same meaning anymore. For example,

>Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.
KJV

I'm not sure if "defraud" had a different meaning in Jacobean times, but this passage is obviously not advising husbands and wives not to trick each other out of money.

>Do not deprive each other of sexual relations, unless you both agree to refrain from sexual intimacy for a limited time so you can give yourselves more completely to prayer. Afterward, you should come together again so that Satan won't be able to tempt you because of your lack of self-control.
NLT

I'm not recommending NLT. All I know is that the KJV won't lead you astray on important spiritual matters, but isn't perfect for modern readers. The modern translation I usually use to compare with KJV is NIV, just because it's one of the more famous ones and it was the only translation in Waterstones at the time. Use the modern translations to check the meaning of the KJV. Use the KJV to make sure "Satan" is not trying to trick you through the modern translations.

youtu.be/kFtI_mVOXbQ

>Usually, even a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens, and the other elements of this world, about the motion and orbit of the stars and even their size and relative positions, about the predictable eclipses of the sun and moon, the cycles of the years and the seasons, about the kinds of animals, shrubs, stones, and so forth, and this knowledge he hold to as being certain from reason and experience. Now, it is a disgraceful and dangerous thing for an infidel to hear a Christian, presumably giving the meaning of Holy Scripture, talking nonsense on these topics; and we should take all means to prevent such an embarrassing situation, in which people show up vast ignorance in a Christian and laugh it to scorn. The shame is not so much that an ignorant individual is derided, but that people outside the household of faith think our sacred writers held such opinions, and, to the great loss of those for whose salvation we toil, the writers of our Scripture are criticized and rejected as unlearned men.

understand that the bible is true history and learn why it matters that the history is true, and why the history as we know it is false

>If they find a Christian mistaken in a field which they themselves know well and hear him maintaining his foolish opinions about our books, how are they going to believe those books in matters concerning the resurrection of the dead, the hope of eternal life, and the kingdom of heaven, when they think their pages are full of falsehoods and on facts which they themselves have learnt from experience and the light of reason? Reckless and incompetent expounders of Holy Scripture bring untold trouble and sorrow on their wiser brethren when they are caught in one of their mischievous false opinions and are taken to task by those who are not bound by the authority of our sacred books. For then, to defend their utterly foolish and obviously untrue statements, they will try to call upon Holy Scripture for proof and even recite from memory many passages which they think support their position, although they understand neither what they say nor the things about which they make assertion. [1 Timothy 1.7]
St Augustine, The Literal Meaning of Genesis (De Genesi ad litteram), c. 400AD

John is a good starting point if you want to read it with a christian perspective. Most non christians have two misconceptions when they start reading the bible which work together to create a massive misunderstanding.

The first is sola scriptura. Luther may well have been an agent of satan to mislead people. Some protestants might be alright, but it is undeniable that protestantism as a whole has created a massive confusion to outsiders over what exactly constitutes christianity, and pertinent to this specific subject, it teaches outsiders that the bible is the complete and total body of christianity, what it is founded on. This is false, christianity was around for several centuries before the bible was even codified. The texts within the bible are all important to christianity undeniably, but they are not all there is to it.

The second misconception is that people will start reading things in the bible which exist for reference or historical purposes and get the wrong impression. Leviticus for example. Its very useful for scholars and theologians, and it has information that is useful for christianity, but many people will read some instruction or another to ancient hebrew priests and assume this is part of christianity, and then say "the bible says to do this! And christians dont! What hypocrites!". It is for this reason i reccomend not starting with the old testament, but if you are determined to read the whole thing through then you could just start at the beginning. Just remember, the books are arranged in an order to aid the scholar and theologian, not the layman.

You could start with ecclesiastes just because its a very good read for just about anybody, and then move on to john. You should consider the beginning of john, the first chapter, very careful, it is in itself the essence of christianity.

>The earth is round

implying disk can't be "round "

Please look at this Bible.
It is the most true to form bible and almost impossible to find.

drbo.org/

Luckily it is preserved online.

>the KJV is that you can't go wrong with God from reading it

you ca if it's a schofield

>if jesus were here, he would not give a fucking shit about the shape of the world

im sure he might, just because it makes you uncomfortable doesn't mean you speak for christ.

if people question the word of man, then the shape of the earth matters. The book of genesis clearly states earth was made before sun and stars.

Umm He was married to them both.
She ran away not because of Lot but because of the jealousy of Lot's wife, who asked Lot to marry her; which he did before they consummated their marriage.

Might want to watch this. The whole Jews things is a bit confusing if you haven't really looked into the whole thing. This will explain it to you in biblical terms.

youtube.com/watch?v=o1vhXlSkVHE

The Old Testament is a very intriguing story, but if you have any pretensions towards religion, you must realise that the New Testament is the whole teaching for Christians. Most churches carry an ambiguous message, but it is very clear who Jesus was crucified by, and that their old ways and book should not be any part of Christian morality.

Genesis is a metaphor that describes in the correct order the Big Bang, the order of matter formation and the evolution of the universe and life using ancient elements theory and Babylonian cosmology. All it adds is that God was the prime mover. Of course, it doesn't use the terminology of modern physics, cosmology, and evolution. There were only four elements in antiquity: wind, water, earth, fire

>1. Big Bang ("Let there be light:" photon epoch is the earliest phase of the Big Bang, before elements were formed)

>2. Formation of lighter hydrogen/helium elements (wind, water)

>3. Formation of heavier elements (earth)

>4. Formation of stars, galaxies, and the Solar System (fire)

>5. Origin of life in the ocean, evolution of prehistoric animals (dinosaurs became birds)

>6. Evolution of mammals

Don't put much faith into the canonical bible by itself, it's contents are essentially arbitrary, and anyone who's only read the KJV is missing out on the real story.
The gospel of Judas is A#1

>The whole Jews things is a bit confusing

yes it is. you need a book of mormon to understand exactly what's going on with the jews and other tribes of israel

If you want to purchase a bible I would suggest the Ignatius Bible. It has all the books of the original bible. The KJV took out 7 books, som eof which were rather important like Maccabees, Wisdom and Ecclesiasticus.

Also it is translated to give a certain Protestant dogma that was not extant in the original.

Have fun reading Ezekiel its a total mind fuck. The book of Job is my fav.

Revelation 22:18-19