Male-oriented Romance

Why is this genre so neglected?
I'm a huge fan of series like Amagami, Kimikiss Ano Natsu and Toradora but, is the fanbase for such series so small as to studios to completel ignore the genre?

I mean, it's pretty easy to find fanservice harem series or romantic shoujo series, but why are male-oriented romantic series, not focused on comedy or fanservise but actual romantic development between a not-so-dramatic couple so scarce?

Why hasn't any studio or producer/director thought about making somethink like Amagami? Wasn't the anime succsessful enough to be considered a profitable, unexploited genre?

That series was the friggin perfect recipe:
>Omnibus format - Every fucking girl wins
>Not overly dramatic
>Male MC's a fusion of self-insert and a likeable personality.
>Just a small pinch of fanservice to remind you of the heroines sexual attractiveness.

I'm sure there's a shitton of romantic VN that could be adapted like Amagami was and we see countless LN/VN adaptations with shitty plots and even shittier attempts at romance be released every season so why not focus on developing a decent male-oriented romantic series for once?

Amagami was one of those gems that come by once every century.

Well, out of the three omnibus romances I know of, only Amagami wasn't fucking shit, so there's that.

Photo Kano tried it and failed hard.

If the formula is so simple, why not fucking follow it to the letter?

Amagami's arc were 4 episodes long, lenghty enough to get a nice development between the MC and each heroine and it was perfect.
Instead, Photo Kano focused 6 episodes on the main heroine and 1 for each of the rest. So main heroine's arc came out decently but each of the other girls development felt rushed and came out of nowhere.

>Why is this genre so neglected?
It's not, you just don't read enough manga, like most of Sup Forums.

>Why is this genre so neglected?
Because males usually don't care much for romance.

Even if we are referring to manga, the catalog is pretty limited and sometimes the plot is lacking.

Hell even hentai depicts better romance than most romantic manga nowadays.

ano natsu and toradora are terrible compared to amagami

They are jewels if you compare them to the actual battle harem or rom-com series.

Because this genre is far better in vidya. While Junichi was a fun character, you're comparing a 30 odd episode series to a game in which each girl's route is akin to having a 1 cour show each. They cut out an insane amount of shit, but they did it reasonably well and hit some of the high points, given the limitations of the medium they did a decent job.

You're coming at this from a western perspective, which is "we get a couple of edgy VNs a year, and the last dating sim released here was 20 years ago". Not a Japanese perspective of "we get dozens of games a year, and adaptations are a cut-down version of those titles, where the animation really has no relevance unless it's a battle VN".

Plenty of shows involve male oriented romance. e.g. the harem genre and its derivatives such as battle harems.

When it comes to the shows you've mentioned they're fairly often hit or miss since they heavily depend on the main girl. Amagami for example was great - not only the girls were great, but all of them got their own route. Kimikiss on the other hand was a complete disaster - what they did to that show was a crime against humanity. Ano Natsu and Toradora weren't that great to me either and I dropped both of them because I didn't like the main girls.

I would argue that Amagami did it best, and it's no surprise that people still talk about this show at least once per week - not just here but also on futaba.

I get your point, but I think that making a decent adaptation of a romantic VN is still profitable, even if only as VN advertising, if the adaptation is good the company could make big money both from the anime BD's and the VN.

>the harem genre and its derivatives such as battle harems.
I'm talking about romance-focused series. Battle harems have a bit of romance, but it's often lacking and serves only as filler.

And while I agree Toradora and Ano Natsu don't compare to Amagami since they heavily relied on shitty cliches and whiny heroines, they still serve as arefference to the genre.

>>I get your point, but I think that making a decent adaptation of a romantic VN is still profitable
2 cour shows are basically too much risk these days. And you'd need at least that many episodes just to get some of the content in. Companies don't operate on "what ifs", they operate on "how badly are we fucked if this venture fails". And a 26 episode series tanking because fans of the original destroy it online because they skipped X scene isn't a loss anyone wants to take. When you're paying for the licence, you also have to consider how much you're actually getting back. If people like the show, but then buy the VN instead of the BDs, you're making a fraction of the money.

Photo Kano was rushed af. 7 heroines in 13 episodes.

We need more dating sims really. They're dying and we need more of them.

Aren't there 2 kinds of them?
1. was a normal anime where he dates the library girl and then afterwards falls in love with the real girl?

2. the one where you only saw different routes? 3 eps route one 3eps route 2 etc.

If its the first, yes that was nice. Girls falling in love with different boys is always always(!) better than everyone suddenly loves mc. And girls don't mind it..fuck that.

If you mean 2. Well didn't watch it because didn't like the 3ep one romance thing.

But ore wa monogotari was nice! That's kinda shoujo but with a male as mc

Seiren is coming out next season

Tubby is my waifu

There's also been White Album (2) and Oregairu.

just go read some of your disgusting wish fulfilment VNs you moe buta

I just started Kaoru's arc and so far:
Kaoru > Imouto > Ai > Tsukasa > Senpai > Fatty > That other one

good taste user
sex hair a best

Amagami was great, I don't see the point in more though.

>Every fucking girl wins
You can also say no girl actually wins.

>it always must be about "winning"

Cancer

>Every fucking girl wins
With the exception of the puffy childhood friend.

Ai not at top?
Prepare for the inquisition you heathen.

Haven't seen much of her yet.

>Girls falling in love with different boys is always always(!) better than everyone suddenly loves mc.
It depends on how it is handled. If it's done like in Golden Time where the heroine is at first fawning over someone else before falling for the MC then it's fine. But if the heroine seriously dates someone else then it loses its aesthetic appeal.

>2. Well didn't watch it because didn't like the 3ep one romance thing.
You should. Amagami is one of the best romance oriented anime out there. The three episodes actually handle romance much better than many romance-centric anime since they are mostly drama free and completely focus on the couple, dedicating pretty much all time of the episodes to two characters. That leaves more than enough storytelling time. Much more than in many "romance" anime where a lot of time is wasted in harem antics and love triangle drama.