So these are your 2015 and 2016 AOTYs

So these are your 2015 and 2016 AOTYs.

Other urls found in this thread:

funimation.com/blog/2016/11/07/makoto-shinkais-your-name-makes-official-consideration-list-for-89th-annual-academy-awards/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I didn't for her.

>your
According to whom?

According to me, renowned historian of the animation arts.

Hokusai was underwhelming. Probably the best movie of 2015 though.
I don't think anything will topple Koe no Katachi for 2016.

2015 definitely.
2016 probably.

There's so few movies really worth seeing I don't think it's useful to consider them for AOTYs.
They're in a separate category.
Just leave that AOTY/AOTS business to the tv series.

if there are so few movies wouldn't it be better to not delegate them to a separate category? that makes no sense to me

What I mean is that's there's going to be one or two really good movies every year. Really good to the point where regular stuff can't even compare.
So it's pointless to compare them with the rest by calling them AOTY.

I don't think that's true, and even then I think what should be praised is good "anime" in general regardless of the format
splitting things up as a sort of pity awards is dumb

I'm not saying we shoudn't praise those movies.
But I feel like calling them AOTY is dumb.

YOU ANGURI DIRUTURI GAIJIN?
YOU WAN ONLY WIN WITH ATOMIC BOMBS
WANT MORE BURGERS WANT MORE SODA
DIE FAT AMERIKKKAN

I feel like calling something that wasn't the best the "anime of the year" is dumb

There is a reason they have separate awards shows for film and television.

>Movies

What about TV?

Corner can win an oscar, it should

So?

It is commonly recognised by industry that the achievements of both should be recognised separately and comparing them is pointless. You could have your TV AOTY and Movie AOTY though.

Nobody cares about movies.

Why is comparing them pointless? If anything, it serves to remove this
kinda post.

Totally different formats and approaches to storytelling and production. It is like comparing a novel and a short story. You judge them by different criteria to begin with. Decent animation for a TV show is shit animation for a film and so on.

Right, I disagree fundamentally with this whole "it's good... for a TV show" thing. I really couldn't care less about length; if a short story is better than every contemporary novel then it should be praised as such. Approach to production and storytelling is irrelevant, that varies even within film and television separately.

Okada movie was better.

You are missing the point really. Your favourite piece of film could be a TV show of a film. This isn't saying that one cannot be better than the other. It is saying that they are different products and judge against different standards. You wouldn't expect the character depth of a novel to be in a short story for example because there just isn't the room to do in 10-15 pages what you can in a 500 page novel. So to say a short story is bad for lacking that depth would be nonsense.

>Your favourite piece of film could be a TV show of a film.
Should have said Your favourite piece of "film" could be a TV show OR a film.

Either I think that's silly, or I don't understand what point you're making. Ditching lit analogies, a show can easily be better than a movie and vice versa. That's my point. Miss Hokusai is a better anime than Eupho, in the same way that Tatami Galaxy is a better anime than Colorful. I can't see a good reason for excluding a movie from AOTY selection.

One can be better than the other but when your favourite anime could quite easily be a Movie or a TV show that is perfectly valid. What makes a good movie and a good TV show are different things though and that is why the categories should be split.

And what makes one movie good is different from what makes another movie good.

What it is within the films themselves that makes them good is different but the criteria against which you judge all films is very similar. Like I said previously it would be ridiculous to call a TV shows animation bad because it wasn't as good as a movies. We judge those on different criteria. Likewise you would expect the plot of a film to be as long or complex as that of a TV show and to say a film is flawed because compared to TV show X it has shallow characters would also be ridiculous. Nobody expects that because the format and production prevent it thus judging something as bad for not achieving the impossible is absurd.

>I don't think anything will topple Koe no Katachi for 2016.

>100% RT
How?

Because it really is a fucking great film.

Painfully average movie.

If this is average then Koe no Katachi is plain bad.

funimation.com/blog/2016/11/07/makoto-shinkais-your-name-makes-official-consideration-list-for-89th-annual-academy-awards/

>Koe no Katashit
>used as a benchmark

Shit taste user. Shit taste.

Meme flick.

The only noteworthy thing about it is its success.

Because it's really THAT good.
Painfully shit taste.
Meme post.

it had some good sakuga. other than that it's shit tho

>rt for a movie only weeaboos heard about