Find a flaw

Find a flaw

tumblr ruined it

The Sailor Moon manga did it first and better.

Sayaka a shitty bitch

Decent anime, egregiously overrated.

no Madohomu sex scenes

Not enough mami

Kyoko is missing from the poster.

Not enough Sayaka

Gen Urobuchi being a needlessly angsty twat.

Kyoko wasn't the main character

>atrocious pacing
>inconsistent and shallow characters
>poorly directed
>infodumps
>crappy animation
>generic score
>ugly art style

>retarded ideas on what "subversion of mahou shojou" means

The third movie. It was atrocious.

Not enough cheesecake

>Crappy animation
>Ugly art style

Now now user, madoka's animation is the shows most redeeming quality

what animation?

I will never be able to experience it for the first time again.

The fanbase.

Dont lewd the bbys

>atrocious pacing
Elaborate. The pacing was very good, premises led to consequences quickly and without unnecessary detours.

Elaborate. Hint: Character developement isn't inconsistency in characters.

>poorly directed
Elaborate.

>infodumps
Like what?

>crappy animation
No. The art was shit in some scenes, but the animation was usually good.

>generic score
what?

>ugly art style
>Hating on bases Ume Aoki

Bad characters.

QB is lame and cringy. It loses the chance of being actually intimidating by going trough unnecessary exposition dialogue in a squeaky voice. Cosmical terrors never work if you have them saying chuuni shit like "you are all cattle to me".

If you try to see the show as a "deconstruction" of the magical girl it becomes bullshit that goes nowhere, but that isn't a flaw, as the show is not accountable for the dumb fanbase who wanted to sell the MG series written by a dude who never watched a magical girl series as something comparable to Eva, written by someone who was immersed in mecha culture and had even directed a mecha show beforehand.

QB isn't really supposed to be intimidating, though. That's the witches job.

I meant intimidating in a lovecraftian sense, its meant to be this alien creature beyond human concepts, but it never manages to do that in a good way.

It's like you completely missed the point that QB is supposed to be like a generic magical girl mascot pet character, but evil. So of course he sounds squeaky. Have you even watched mahou shoujo?

Not really even supposed to be evil, just working towards a different goal than the main cast.

If you had some menacing creature bargain with your soul for a wish, how willing would you be?

Yes, I have watched mahou shoujo. I have, in fact, even read a manga with a cute mascot offering soul consuming deals years before Madoka.

It being meant to be what it doesn't detract from the fact it does not work. If Cthulhu goes on and on explaining why humanity doesn't matter, it stops being alien and becomes just a silly oversized squid. QB would have worked far better if they didn't have so much tryhard expository dialogue. Like the cringy useless stuff about the heat death of the universe or the justification of its act by saying "humans do the same to cows".

Turned modern mahou shoujo into a grimdark wannabe feelsfest
Madoka was a mistake

QB isn't supposed to be a lovecraftian horror wither, he's supposed to feel like just a person with different morals from humanity. It's not exposition when a character is trying to explain to someone their own actions. Should people just never explain things to each other at all, ever, because that would be "exposition"?. It seems you completely missed the point of QB, you seemed to expect him to be some kind of spooky scary thing, but in reality his character isn't supposed to be that at all. You're just projecting your own expectations for the series on a character in way that was never originally intended, or at least not to the extent you wanted. He's not supposed to be fucking Cthulhu, he's just a "normal" person from a different society that doesn't understand individuality.

It tries to be this deconstruction of magical girls, but then it introduces the whole "becoming magical girl for the sake of a wish" which completely alienates it from other MG shows where the girl has little choice or do it out of selflessness.

Then it proceeds to punish the whole cast for no good reason. Reduces the characters to simple traits. Ruins Homura by reducing her whole personality to "worries a lot about this one girl".

And finally, it ends the MC's character arc with her becoming your typical selfless magical girl MC... which she already was in the past before Homu's loops messed it up. The ending itself is so basic that it was used even by the very first magical girl show, where MC sacrifices her normal life for the sake of protecting someone, due to that, she has to leave this world and is forgotten by her friends.

Like, wow, such a groundbreaking story, I'm never going to look at magical girls the same way!

the whole show

>taking a genre about fighting monsters to an interesting conclusion is "edgy"
>having any kind of bad shit happen in a serious way is "edgy"
>examining ideas that are heavy in any way is "edgy"
Pretty soon Sup Forums will be calling SOL where someone gets a cold "edgy grimdark shit" because there was something more at stake than the characters bento.

Precure and Idols eating up all the daytime magical girl money is what is at fault. Madoka is irrelevant on that aspect.

Furthermore, with stuff like FliFla and Pleiades flopping, the message is clear.

I admit I'm spoiled. I had just read Mahou Roma, which deals with Faustian deals in a very interesting way, especially by offering the way out. (Thus cleaning the dealer of responsibility when most people fail and lose their souls). While Madoka's take was pretty standard route.

But still, even on your concept of "foreign morals", it's better to keep such "non-human" morals unexplained if the actual explanation is lame.

Copying a fantasy genre for little girls and then making it needlessly dark is edgy.

Here

if non explained it becomes plothole

No, not really.
>series about girls fighting monsters every day
>simply remove plot armor
>make the "cutesy contracting character" actually have motives which make sense of the whole thing
>they get killed now
Nothing wrong with that, it's a logical conclusion of the genre. You're right, it's "edgy", but in the literal sense of the word, not the "edgy is my word for shit when a series is slightly more than light hearted".

>if the actual explanation is lame
>an immortal species wanting to prevent entropy is a lame explanation
It makes fucking sense, seems like what you want is even more edgy than Madoka is already considered to be.

fuck I was responding the same thing. Wasted 31 seconds of my life there.

Yeah, Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku is pretty
garbage.
Luckily Madoka is needfully edgy.

Shallow characters, besides Homura and Sayaka

>>simply remove plot armor
>>make the "cutesy contracting character" actually have motives which make sense of the whole thing
>>they get killed now
None of these things match the themes of a fantasy genre for little girls. It's closer to the themes of a dark series for teenagers like Tokyo Ghoul.

>make the "cutesy contracting character" actually have motives which make sense of the whole thing
What? All contact characters have a reason to contract the girls and expect something in return.

>None of these things match the themes of a fantasy genre for little girls
So it's better from a storytelling point of view to retain the plot armor?

kamen rider ryuki rip off

Yes

This
Madoka was the flimsiest mc ever

Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku is a simple death game were all of the players just happen to be magical girls.
It doesn't give you idiotic lectures on why the magical girl genre isn't dark/realstic enough like Madoka does.

>>generic score
Yo fucking die, you piece of no taste shit. Madoka, if anything, has a fantastic soundtrack. Like literally several entries in the top 10 anime tracks ever.

meguca.

I must save humaru

Magical girls have been dark since the 90's.

Schierke

that episode of Hidamari sketch where Yuno got a fever was edgy as fuck

How can we Make Madoka Great Again?

Let it rest

Agreed

So you'd rather something be shit for the sake of it not being considered edgy? Shit taste.

Go back in the past and prevent Rebellion from ever happening

Rebellion was fine. The only reason I can think of to be triggered over it is if you waifu'd Homura then got btfo when she turned into a blatant super dyke.

I'm not "triggered" over it, Sup Forums. It was an unnecessary cash-in on the popularity of the series. It had none of what made the original series great. It was embarrassing to behold.

rebellion is fanservice garbage

>It had none of what made the original series great.
It literally had all the same things.

It's a Gen Urobochi film, if you thought he was going to let them get away with a happy ending, you must be new to his writing. It was blatantly obvious they had some intentions to keep the story going on episode 12.

>Tried to be philosophical and deep while maintaining a decent story
>Characters had generic reasons for being a magical girl
>Homu only knew Madoka for two weeks yet would go back in time 9000 times to save her
>The "plot twist" was so obvious if you knew anything about "passing of the torch"
>Remains one of the most overhyped anime of all time because it came out when generic anime was the only thing to make money at the time

I don't understand the "people who dislike Rebellion can't handle unhappy endings" meme.

>tripfag is literally retarded

>infodumps
What anime with dense storylines doesn't have those?

Penguindrum

Good ones.

Kill la Kill

the threads

Sanetoshi
Nudisto Beach guy

Nah, all your lotghs, evangelions, utenas, gitses, angels eggs, lains and renmeis had infodumps as well.

What exactly is an infodump according to you? Just any form of speaking at all instead of fist fighting?

Basically the last quarter of the show minus the final episode and everything after is pretty loyally written and uneven as fuck particularly with Homuras character being all over the fucking place for no particular reason other than obvious producer meddling. No doubt the delays in production weren't a result of production trouble but Aniplex trying to capitalize on what they think was turning it into a hit and putting it on hiatus in the meantime.

>angel's egg had infodumps
nigga there were maybe 12 lines of dialogue in that whole movie what kind of drugs are you on.

>explaining anything at all is an "infodump"

Like an hour of virtually nothing happening followed by another 20 minutes of rapid nonsensical exposition and the "plot twist" with no proper resolution that is people's main take way from the movie. It was typical Sony style marketing of let's manufacture a controversy over a popular character or hot button idea and split the fanbase to drive topicality and discussion instead of just making a decent flick that they use constantly with ideas like Ghostbusters 2016 and no doubt the upcoming Emoji movie and not to mention all the shitty original anime they produce. That's okay though they've just gotta throw Kajiura or Sawano and some sexy character designs at things and people will ignore all the issues and problems with their originals for like 90% of their run until to the bullshit and loose bordering on nonsensical plot threads and character behavior piles up on itself like it's done consistently with shows like Kabaneri, Valvrave, Guilty Crown, Aldnoah, Haifuri, Qualidea Code etc.

Jesus I know the movie is shit but you have to remember to breathe user

I'm growing senile but I'm pretty sure the delays were a result of hell breaking loose after the earthquake and the Fukushima crisis

Honestly Urobuchi is not the deep intellectual writer people think he is and not at all above using shock value and cheesy as fuck one liners to drive a show. It's especially noticeable in the scripts he actually did do for Aldnoah where everything is just so on the nose it's no wonder it gets made fun of as babbys first Gundam Clone. The dialogue is cheesy as all fuck in Thunderbolt Fantasy too but at least in the non pretentious and preachy way for a change.

Tomino did it better.

These two are not married

>atrocious pacing
yes

I wouldn't say inconsistent, but unbelievable.

>shallow
They are middle-schoolers, so it's fitting (Homura is technically older but it's ignored, and she's already the worst-written character without that).

>poorly directed
It's pretty up to episode 5 (3 and 5 in particular). After those it's kind of shit but with a few good moments.
The movie version is a bit better as it skips the bullshit at the beginning of the first ep.

>infodumps
If you mean long and dumb conversation explaining the story and the lore, then yes. The same info could have been conveyed way more subtetly.

>crappy animation
cheap animation, but crappy?

>generic score
Well, it's Kalafina after all. Still great, very fitting and the best OST by Yuki Kajiura.

>ugly art style
That's very subjective, I like it a lot.

Yeah, and the longest ones were exposition.
There were just about as many and were about as forced as in Madoka.

A lot of Urobuchis work at the turn of the decade felt more like some sort of weird axe he had to grind with his world views and how his favorite anime genres didn't conform to them enough more than anything. He's eased up substantially on it in his recent output making stuff like Thunderbolt Fantasy borderline watchable and dare i say fun as opposed to feeling like a lecture on nihilism but yeah he's just so far from the genius writer people like to label him as and knows it in how he constantly ducks non canned interviews and questions about his franchises and gets downright pissy at time about it too.

The main problem is it's a less conclusive or coherent ending then the one the show already had that was fine and more thematically sensical.

The last ten minutes of Rebellion

Nah, the main problem was that it was plot-driven rather than character-driven.

Well anime sucks dick with having decent characters lately, particularly Aniplex stuff where they seem to prefer casts full of annoying pretentious idiots and leads that just plow through all their problems virtually effortlessly. Madoka got off comparatively light compared to say Aldnoah Zero aside from the whole Homura ascension thing which makes little sense and still feels like an ass pull plot twist. If there's a new Madoka work though I bet it'll handle characters even worse than Rebellion did.

Both

Rebellion ruined Sayaka.

>She didn't actually die/disappear you guys she's alive again! Also she's a lesbian now and doesn't even think about Kyousuke anymore.

Literally everything that isn't Sayaka.

>complaining about the middle part of the unresolved story
You were too retarded to realise Rebellion had a huge cliffhanger which wasn't resolved?

I think it's just that nobody at Shaft knows how to direct a character and the Butcher can't into humans.

Continuing from Urubochi litteraly said that he went for a conclusive end at first, but the production comittee asked him to rewrite it and leave room for a sequel.

>When Urobuchi is actually writing a good story for once, and people make him change it because they decided Madoka is now a cash-cow.
Duh

Sayaka seems so out of place in this image. Almost as if she doesn't belong.

But what about the spin-off mangas

>atrocious pacing

It had literally the best pacing out of all single cour anime. It's one of the main reasons why it became so popular.