HxH 99 vs 2011

The great debate

Which is superior?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LUj9F9JbYS8&
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junko_Takeuchi
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Purely because Madhouse fucked up the first episode that affected the Chimera ant arc by not showing Kite on episode one like the manga and 99 anime. Kite is the whole reason Gon become the hunter and was the one who told Gon to be a Hunter in the first place.

Not this shit again.

The newer one just for the ost

Just watch what you want and shut the fuck up about it. This debate is pointless.

Heavens arena is the best arc and 2011 has the best version

Good fucking taste.
And that soundtrack. 2011 can't even hold a candle.
youtube.com/watch?v=LUj9F9JbYS8&

back when boys were voiced by actual males not trans

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junko_Takeuchi

name a single tranny in the japanese voicework industry

What gets me about the right is that there isn't any perspective or anything. The second image on the left shows a nice use of shadowing from the sunset, adding atmosphere. The right is just light scene, dark scene, dark scene, light scene, an oversaturated mess with no tone at all. Digital animation was a mistake. Another scene that comes to mind is when Gon got his license. Compare the '99 scene to the 2011 scene. It's embarrassing.

This, plus the pacing and overall direction of 99 is thousands times better.

2011 is maybe a better as an adaptation for some (which is arguable) but 99 is better as it's own thing. The director clearly had a better grasp an understanding of audiovisual as a medium.

This is a good example

Same happens on several key moments like when Gon has to deal with Hisoka's debt or when he steps up to Hanzo or when killua faces Uvogin. The tension is palpable...

Of course 90s anime is going to win every time unless it had terrible quality control just look at
It's the shitty soulless bright detailless style every modern show has. It's like comparing DBZ to Super. No shit the old one looks better. Digital animation was a mistake.

99 was better for what it adapted, but 11 went longer so it was better in that regard.

God awful colors on 2011

Holy shit you guys are a bunch of cry babies.

2023 version

underrated post

'99: Kurapikafags
'11: killuafags

Start with '99 and switch at Greed Island. That's how I'd introduce anyone to HxH. If the creative team and animation style from '99 had been retained for Chimera Ant, I'm almost certain that the result would have surpassed the Madhouse adaptation, but I take solace in not thinking about what could have been through the knowledge that this chance died with the Greed Island OVAs, with their creative switch and dodgy proto-digital animation.

>switch at Greed Island
Nono, keep on watching the '99 version until Greed Island ends. Then you can switch to CA and pretend the beginning is a recap episode. 99's GI is underrated, especially with the animation.

2011 has better OPs and EDs.

I just finished the 2011 series and was surprised with the lack of "cute to complete savagery" Sup Forums built the series up to be. After seeing this comparison I think I would've seen that more if I watched the 1999 series. When I got to the biggest moment of the series (Gon completely BFTOing Pitou) it didn't feel as crazy as it probably should've due to the coloring and perspective of it all.

2011 is better because the art is less jarring

2011 has more things going for it overall like music, voice acting, continuity, pacing and nicer art.

I saw a video of the main character fight one of the bad guys and it got me interested in HxH but never knew what the show is about. I came from watching DBZ, Yu-Yu Hakusho, and now I'm watching Dragon Ball Super. Would HxH be a good anime for me?

1999 is perfection.

Just fucking watch it.

99 easy

11 has one of the worst OST I've ever seen in an anime (hope you like screamo metal ED and the same two tracks playing over every single scene ever regardless of how little it may fit), terrible coloring that makes every single scene look like it takes place in a warehouse or something and it makes the fatal mistake of just being the manga with voice acting instead of tweaking things to better fit the inherant genre differences between tv and page, something 99 did.

I've been marathoning this show for the last few weeks. On episode 143 now. Gonna be real sad when it ends.

>blaming digital animation and not the amateurish director

Cel or digital, neither matter when the storyboards are weak. This is where the old anime shines because Furuhashi is a great director. Though the 2011 show did get much better after the Hunter Exam. Also people need to take off their nostalgia goggles, the 99 anime was very inconsistent in it's visual quality. I watched it relatively recently and the colors changed saturation constantly for unknown reasons.
I agree the 2011 OST is subpar in the beginning, but there's nice tracks in there. Gon vs. Hisoka is much more intense in 2011 because of the score. Honestly the '99 OST had some pretty goofy shit on there, which clashed with the darker atmosphere.

Give it a go. Pick whichever one you want ('99/2011), and read the manga alongside. If you liked Yu Yu Hakusho, you'll see some similarities (Same author).

I think I might have to watch the 99 version now.

That GIF is one of my favorite scenes.

Now I'll admit that to a T that the director can be a factor in it all, too. But like you said, the direction is key. There weren't any neat point of views like when Gon was crawling in the grass, or when Killua's face reflected the glass during the respite before Yorknew. Small touches that show off how an animated piece can shine with some effort.

Not disputing you at all my friend. Watching '99 actually made me realize how weak the directing was in the beginning of the 2011 version. Just a lot really flat and uninteresting storyboards, even though the animation was above-average. If you compare that to Mob Psycho 100 for example, it's similarly very faithful but there's a lot of creative flourishes that really bring the story to life.

Really I just think blaming the tools is a mistake. That way of thinking leads to retards like Otaking that think 5 degrees of shading is what animation is about and not character expression. You can do great things with digital.

The 2011 looks visually nice but I'm looking to enjoy the real story. Will I miss out much watching the 2011 version?

Killua is cute.

20xx version when we get to see Ging and Pariston go at each other.

Delete this.

>He thinks Togashi will draw enough content for another HxH anime to come out

No, it covers everything but the current arc, which can be read in around an hour or so. Read the manga alongside it, though. It does shine in places where both series fail to do.

2011 fags blown the fuck out

Why?

>M-Muh dark edginess

That just proves that in this particular case, surprisingly, the manga is the worst version.

>2011 is closer to the original source material overall than muh art direction made it out to be

2011. 99 may have looked great for a few scenes but it looked like ass most of the time. 2011 has better pacing, animation, voice acting, covers more of the manga, and is generally more faithful to the manga. Also no shitty fillers.

>Killua
>anything other than a cat
D R O P P E D

99 fucks up the characters. Remember how they made Gon puss his pants when Hisoka punched him? Fuck that shit. 99 also went full emo with Kurapika

Shit is shit, even if one is 12 years older than the other.

You fucking losers will seriously rip on Naruto and other shounen but HxH gets a pass for some reason and I find that absolutely hilarious

Remindes that it took 99 like 12 episodes to get to the quiz part of the exam arc.

99 went full Emo with everything. That's literally 99fags only argument, that it's "better" because it's much darker.

modern vs edgy shit, you tell me

fight me 99 fags

I like 99 more because of the tone, animation and soundtrack. Plus, only makes the 2011 series look like fanart.

This. 99 went way to far with the dark colors and shadows. Hunter X Hunter has its happy moments and Madhouse understood this.

Literally no one talked about HxH manga and especially the anime up until the anime started airing. And even then hardly anyone but shounenfags cared until ep 100 when it got good.

he's a snake

Pure kino.

>99 better
>Cuts out almost all of the Kastro fight
>Adds shitty filler
>Looks like shit
>Turns Gon into a crying pants pissing bitch
>Makes Kurapika be all "what have I done" after killing Uvogin.

Fuck off.

On the topic of theme songs:

"Ohayou" did its best in showing the adventure part of HxH, while avoiding the spoiler that is the more gruesome parts of the story arcs.
"Kaze no Uta" is a wildcard. It's completely thematic, symbolizing Mito's emotions.
"E-Jan" is generic in both content and music. Nothing much to say here.
"Taiyou wa Yoru mo Kagayaku" is weird. It felt too slow for me and sounds more like an ED.

"Departure" pretty much filled "Ohayou"'s shoes by being the adventure theme song throughout the series. The accompanying stanzas plus the OP sequence makes it more tolerable.
"Just Awake", for all its screaming, didn't hold back at the fact that it's not always happy shit in the HxH world.
"Hunting for Your Dream" destroys all other EDs for the sheer hype it generates. Dat narration at the end.
"Reason" and "Nagareboshi Kirari" were breathers for the more gloomy moments of the series. "Hyori Ittai" were those two, ramped to 11, and carries a symbolism relevant to the Chimera Ant Arc.

Overall, the EDs of 2011 had more to them than just being an ED, and Ohayou and Departure are tied for best OP, but only because there are too few choices.

earlier one took more detail and explained more, took its time with the story arcs

the other one was rushed in the start, but turned out nice

>99fags will defend this

What? She has that same dead look in the manga. By default, it's already more accurate. You gonna let an alternate color woo your judgement?

>sideshow bob

Just about everything you listed is why I'd tell someone to watch the '99 version before switching at Greed Island.

>Makes Kurapika be all "what have I done" after killing Uvogi
Probably one of my favorite additions from '99. Powerful moment, and it fits someone as a polite and moralistic as Kurapika perfectly.

>adds shitty filler
Also a big reason to watch '99. I feel like Pokkuru's death hit me a lot hard than it did for those who just watched 2011. This is true for a lot of the Hunter Exam contestants.

>Looks like shit
We already covered this.
>Turns Gon into a crying pants pissing bitch
No it doesn't.

Gon litterally pisses his pants when Hisoka punches him in 99

I always knew 2011 was more true to the manga. But I still like the original more

Everyone hates the dumb Kastro fight, even Hackashi regrets how it turned out.

Had Madhouse put the same amount of effort that they threw in the exam arc through the whole show, I'd say 2011, but then the directing was pretty much worthless past that point and production was comatose, leaving only powerpoint/flash presentation of Togashi's unending exposition storytelling and speedlines slideshows fights with a very few exceptions.

Also just to make it clear, anyone pointing at the Netero/Meruem fight to promote good animation or choregraphy in 2011 is a retard.

11 has qt pitou so 11

madhouse didn't do her any favors.

The exam arc is when they were the laziest, what the fuck are you talking about? It had the most ill-fitting music, expository storytelling, and poorest story-boarding of the whole anime. It's universally regarded as the weakest part of the show and a general slog. You're a goddamn idiot.

This is why generals are cancer, you stay in them too long and soon enough you turn into a jumbled contrarian parrot.

Holy fuck. Why are no one complaining how shit the art of the 2011 version? I've never watch the 2011 but when I saw the images and it's fucking disgusting. They turned it to MOE anime.

>what the fuck are you talking about?
You need to rewatch it. Retards forgot about it completely because it aired first and its tone being mostly uplifting. It had, by far, the highest amount of effort at adapting the manga, from compositing, animation and storyboarding. The only ugly thing is the recap episode in the middle that points at them trying to keep a higher level of quality for the rest. The quality of all aspects of the production completely falls apart at the end of the arc, with a severe drop of animation and any effort at storyboarding/directing falling into bland panel pasting syndrome.

>You're a goddamn idiot
You're the dumbass with either a failing memory, a lack of understanding of show production, if not both.

>poorest story-boarding of the whole anime
Yep, you're a complete idiot.

>It's universally regarded as the weakest part of the show and a general slog
You need to stop listening to idiots, even if they will make you sound less stupid, you still aren't.

I'd generally like 1999 version more, but they fucked Heaven's Arena so badly I'm still pissed at it.

If you think 2011 art is disgusting then you need to look at the manga, better yet look at how inconsistently and terrible Hisoka is drawn throughout the story; that'll change your mind.

Please show me one example of great story-boarding from the Hunter Exam aside from the Togari fight. Because that's one scene out of a dozen fucking episodes.

>You need to stop listening to idiots, even if they will make you sound less stupid, you still aren't.

Like I thought, a contrarian. Let me tell you, I almost dropped Hunter x Hunter during the Hunter Exam but I persevered and was thankful I did because it got a lot better. This is far from an uncommon experience. Some time later I watched the '99 version and I was shocked how engaging it was from episode 1. You make an interesting show for everybody first, not to appease source material autists with arbitrary standards like you.

Hunting for Your Dream best ED for best arc. Got my so hyped every episode.

2011 is more faithful to the manga but the animation is horrible and it feels like a slideshow at times.

'99 has superior animation and character designs but it's also got filler and only covers half the story, so that sort of lets it down.

>animation is horrible

Name a more consistently well-animated show with 100+ episodes. You literally can't. It probably can't match the sakuga of Naruto or Precure at their best, but it's very consistent.

>feels like a slideshow at times

Well it's not like they can spend 8 months on one episode like they do in America. Sacrifices must be made. Though you have a good point here. If the director had more experience he could have made those shortcuts less obvious.

>'99 has superior animation and character designs

100% agree on character designs.

All versions are superior. Don't need to waste our energy debating this. You guys should just raid one piece thread and bash them instead.

I love how One Piece has been running for about the same length as HxH yet it has double the amount chapters

>Muh 1080p

2011 has the superior Hisoka, so 2011 is better.

>2011 has the superior Hisoka
Disagree, 99 Hisoka is better. His voice acting is more cunning and gets you to thing that he is a clown, until, this moment in pic rel, where he gets like serious and his voicing is heavy, unlike 2011 where he is always speaking that way.
Overall the way the character is portrayed is better in 99.