Did anyone else learn in school to do this in case of a nuclear war?

did anyone else learn in school to do this in case of a nuclear war?
how are a few doors supposed to stop a fucking nuclear blast and fallout?

Other urls found in this thread:

newatlas.com/survive-nuclear-bomb-shelter/31057/
youtube.com/watch?v=gVq76YvTPMs
youtube.com/watch?v=m6U9T3R3EQg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the doors are supposed to splinter and kill you instantly

They're not. Giving the kids the belief they could survive was better than letting them know they could die in hellfire at any time and there was nothing they could do with it. Same with "duck and cover" here.

This

That's your inner shelter.

newatlas.com/survive-nuclear-bomb-shelter/31057/

Totally works.

youtube.com/watch?v=gVq76YvTPMs

assuming you have enough time to unscrew the 12 screws in each door, the doors still wouldn't do shit to protect you lol. just another form of conditioning for kids

What kind of shielding does pol recommend for a bunker? Lead?

I think you could use a storm sewer as a decent safespace during such an event (attacker protection wise)

Dying in the initial attack is best. Trust me, I know.

hide in the fridge like Indiana Jones taught you

I remember finding a book in the school library of unclassified information about nuclear war. One of the chapters outlined that "survivors" of any attacks would be coralled up and fed rations of lard.
Fuck that, i'll take my chances innawoods.

It makes it easier to find the bodies.

You’d be better off covering the windows, preferably from the outside. The major problem with nuclear weapons is surviving the fallout which is dissipated by the wind. Any kind of basement with cinderblock, brick construction is ideal but you need supplies to last 10-14 days minimum before the fallout is safe to weather.
As for the blast if you’re fucked you’re fucked, those doors aren’t going to do shit.

Just a control of panic, people will be calmer if they think they can do something

I always wondered if there are some nips who secretly harbor resentment for burgers for what they did and are playing the long-con for revenge. I mean, most of the people on Sup Forums think we were fighting on the wrong side anyway, but can you imagine being on the losing side of the war, having a 9/11 scale event x 100 and losing 200k citizens, and then just being expected to move on with your lives and become a wage slave country while your new masters go on to destabilize and fuck with all the other countries around you, while essentially using your country as a proxy base and your citizens as human shields? To go from a warrior nation to that, it's no wonder there are so many hikkis and nips an heroing. I guess the question is, will they ever get revenge or settle the score?

The radiation shielding goes up exponentially with the number of doors.*
*Never try this.

Back during the Cuban missed crisis people were actually building bomb shelters in the back yard. They recommended 3 feet of dirt. 1 foot of concrete. Or 1 inch of lead.

Just underground a few feet is enough to protect you if you're under the fallout winds.

A concrete cellar under a house would be fine.

Prepare beforehand. Get some cylindrical metal shit, like a small metal tube that you could fit in. Bury it, but don't fill it wit dirt, leave it hollow. Make a small entrance, and put an air filter there. In the event of a nuclear warhead, the moment you hear your tv bleep, run to get supplies, and get in your hole. You can choose to pimp it out with a light bulb, acrylic peep hole, seats, beds etc.

like pic related

Most door hinges are one sided, so you need to unscrew 0 screws

nigger what

it is pretty easy if you have a back yard, a shovel, and a b&q nearby. It takes about a day or so, but it works pretty well

m8 how are you going to survive in your little cum hole as the radiation begins to set in

In basic training, they taught us to lay face down with our head torwards the explosion and our hands covering our junk. In hindsight I think they were probably laughing at us when they made us do it.

mkay, first, I live far enough away from the town centre, so the radiation zone is minimised. Secondly, if any fallout gets into the dirt, it will only penetrate about 10cm. Alpha radiation can be stopped with paper. I won't have anything with alpha ingested so I'll be good. Beta radiation, is why I'm underground. Beta radiation will not penetrate a good steel frame and dirt. Gamma radiation cannot be stopped, and you need very thick lead to stop it. in that event that somehow I'm close enough to get a blast of gamma, I'm dead anyway.

>I always wondered if there are some nips who secretly harbor resentment for burgers for what they did and are playing the long-con for revenge

Any kid educated post 1945 was taught Japan was the bad guy for invading all those countries, that war is bad, peace is good, and to Never. Do. It. Again.

Hell of a long con, if so. The Uyoku Dantai are a different story though.

>there was nothing they could do with it

>Given several hours of warning before nuclear bombing
>Didn't practice digging and building fallout shelters
>Didn't keep a stockpile of water and tinned food

It's like the government wanted you to die.

You're better off either trying to drive as far away from life as possible or get into as deep a hope as possible if that would take too long

what about hollow-cores and metal doors

You call that a shelter? Hold my stein

Why the edge of a cliff tho?

Of course it wont protect you if you are directly in the kill zone.
But it can make the difference, there is a radius where people who take measures like this survive and those who dont die.

Eww panther turret...

>When the Wind Blows

DON'T MAKE ME WATCH IT AGAIN!

also modern nukes dont create very much fallout since they are airburst.

Get some iodine tablets, or even just regular old iodine (rub it on your chest dont drink it). Should be good enough for you to get the fuck out of there through what contamination is present (dont eat or drink anything exposed though, just to be safe).

Of course if its north korean or some terrorist or something with a shitty old fashion bomb or something smuggled in and detonated on the ground the fallout will be a massive problem.

yep, that's the only way

I don't think anyone would even hit my town. We don't have any military shit nearby that I know about.

I saw this method in When The Wind Blows

you need more than a house to shelter from the immense heat and airblast. You need to be underground, or you will die. Most ground structures will be blown away

Your government already exposes you to radiation.. Lots nuclear leaks happening everywhere in your country and no one gives a fuck

>did anyone else learn in school to do this in case of a nuclear war?
>how are a few doors supposed to stop a fucking nuclear blast and fallout?

Because you might be far enough away that the fireball and heat won't harm you but close enough that the static overpressure will smash all the windows and send blades of glass flying everywhere. You might be close enough that it buckles a wall and a bit of the roof comes down on you.

Neither do we have any nuclear shit nearby. It's quite a backwater town.

>cum hole

If you use your house as a bunker you are retarded. The average home may have 1 surviving room, but the heat blast will kill all inside

What about basement?

basements are better, but still a bit shit, as you have the rest of the house above you that may trap you in. If your basement is good enough, you should be fine, but you should still stack shit above you, as the debris may fall into your bunker and irradiate you and your survival group

>If you use your house as a bunker you are retarded. The average home may have 1 surviving room, but the heat blast will kill all inside

The heat blast has a much smaller radius than the static overpressure. It's obviously not ideal to be in a bunker but if you have no other choice, there are measures that you protect you if you are out of the thermal blast but still in within the zone of static overpressure. Humans withstand the overpressure better than houses. If you are in the pressure wave zone what would kill you is the house being damaged.

sure, but we should remember, there is usually more than one nuke dropped in an event like this

fpbp.
Also, OP is an underage faggot.

Fallout is dust. It can't get through a piece of paper.
Can go around though.

youtube.com/watch?v=m6U9T3R3EQg

Saw this as a kid, it was scary and pretty useless advice really.
I'd rather be dead than alive post nuclear holocaust

The crime stats in London would lower significantly.

The way they told me in school, I should hide in the basement, and after the initial blast get out and haul arse out of town (because right after the blast all the radioactive shit is still floating high in the air). Not sure how true is that.

It's so you don't die from shattering glass, retards.
How does no one realise this?

Well, it seems you were educated fairly well. Maybe you have a higher resistance to raditation, because I would advise 2 day to pass, before you get out your house and scavange. This is because if you were underground for the blast, there is already fallout and radiated material all around. After about 2 days, the radiation should be bearable with thick clothing. Remember to wash each time you enter/leave btw.

yeah, that's if you didn't die from your house collapsing in on itself. If you are close enough that windows blow out, your house is going down. It will not save you.

''How would a family be able to fit under that refuge? In this day and age, with people becoming so obese, it would have to be a whole lot bigger.''

yuck yuck

That won't work with newer, lead free and super light cars

make sure to pump leaded gas too

notice that the air blast is inside the heat blast? If your windows are going to blow out, you will fry.

Well, the trick is, if I managed to survive hiding in a shitty basement, then it was probably not a scary thermonuclear bomb but rather a crappy nuclear one, and after these radiation doesn't fade out as soon as 2 days. At least that's what I was told.

Had one in front yard in Santa Barbara

Old owner had some old cans and lots of spider webs down there

No, the explosion breaks glass very far away. The greatest cause of casualties in the Halifax Explosion was breaking glass. Even the meteor that hit Russia a few years back had tonnes of casualties from shattering glass.
The force that shatters your windows isn't enough to topple the house. We're talking a periphery where initial blast isn't severe, nor the radiation, but glass can cause severe casualties - infections afterwards and hospital overloading would be the problem.

oh if it wasn't thermonuclear, , and you survived the blast in your bunker, travel parallel to the wind, to avoid fallout

don't even bother with this shit, if you die from broken glass, it is surely natural selection. If your first instinct when a bomb goes off isn't to get away from the windows, you kinda deserve it.

Wow, a shitty map image.
Not how it works. They did actual tests and there are real explosions to know the damage caused.
There is still sufficient force outside of the heat blast to shatter windows. That's the danger, and duck and cover, as silly as it may seem, is your only chance.
In any case, dying from radiation-filled glass wounds wouldn't be a very good way to go.

How are you supposed to anticipate such a thing anyway? To take any precautions

lol, no
They woudnt splinter, they would burn fast af, just like you. If a concussion blast is powerful enough to splinter those doors, ur dead af anyways.

the 4 minute warning, from the radar systems

no makeup on, hotter than 95% of American women

Have you ever seen the results of an explosion or hurricane? Glass and metal fragments can be sent flying like bullets. Any sort of cover you can find would be a good idea, simply getting away from the windows may not be an option, or enough.

yeah I get it. Surely, the biggest danger of a fucking thermonuclear explosion is the glass.. well done. Sure, glass is important, but when you get the warning, why are you still in your house?

The idea is that if you are far enough away from the blast center then you might actually be able to survive or at least reduce your injuries. The only things you could really do in the short warning time you would have (2-3 minutes at best, maybe as low as ~10 seconds if you happen to see the explosion go off far enough away) is to get the fuck away from windows and brace yourself flat on the ground so the overpressure doesn't carry you 30 feet away. There are cases in Japan where some people survived doing things like this while others a few feet away got wrecked by the secondary effects of the blast.

You don't know shit about windows do you? They're brittle as fuck and splinter into a million pieces that are immediately carried by the blast wave at high speeds in all directions. Fuck off you retarded nigger.

So down wind? You mean locally, it would be retarded to stay downwind though, you would want to circle the blast so that you stay up wind of it

>ghoulification

You have to remember this is from a time when all doors were made out of solid wood. Solid wood doors will protect you from flying debris, and might protect you from the blast wave if you are far enough from ground zero.

If you're far enough away from the center, which you'll need to be to survive at all, your warning can be the light of the explosion itself. You'll have several seconds before the sound and energy gets to you.

The hole will be covered in spiders and you would rather die then go in there.

sorry, I meant at right angles

mkay, you worry about the fucking windows, I'll be in my bunker

4 minutes to run around at work thinking "Why oh why did I get a job an hours travel from home?"

spot the WarThunder player.

thank fucking god for pointing out basic physics for all the doompreppers

or to bunker up and stop being a little bitch

"The Powers That Be."

Don't forget Threads too.

You're missing the point. This kind of duck and cover shit only works at the very peripherals of a bomb explosion. It's a miniscule measure that the US government pulled out of its ass in the 50s because it knew there was no real way to save city populations from an actual attack. But if you are enough away, it really can make a difference. A nuclear bomb is 95% like any other bomb especially the farther away from the center you get, at least ignoring long term low level radiation.

That's why you should run to the basement, no?

again, if you watch the tv saying "stay away from the windows" and you are still in a place that has been targeted, and are near windows, you fucking deserve it, as any normal human would get the fuck away from the windows. The doors thing, sure set that up in the 4 minutes you have, and die straight after. it's your choice really

I think 2m of dirt cuts the radiation in half. You can make a shelter by using a car and putting tarps on the sides and piling at least one metre of dirt over it. Y

Theres a rat, a rat in the toilet!
>do you still love me now my hair is falling out?

You'd pop out the pin in each door hinge. Takes a few seconds for each one with a flat head screwdriver and a hammer.

Another fine survival message from "Protect and Survive."

You all realize this was just concern trolling for the purpose of keeping the populace in a constant state of fear and unease.

NOBODY believed duck and cover would help anybody ever, the point was to keep reminding people they were at the verge of extinction.

No bunker
No basement

If the bomb drops they would do it when people are at work I should guess?
Rush hour = max deaths

gives people a false sense of safety and keeps hope and morale high

make one. If you are at work, get to the basement/carpark. If you are in your car, go offroad and drive at right angle to the wind

>muh 4 minute warning
That's a good meme. I know both the UK and US governments love to talk up how good their warning systems are, but you would probably get one or two minutes at best if anything at all. If there was no official warning then those few lucky people who were far enough away from the center and were lucky enough to see it coming would have the natural reaction to look at it not knowing what the fuck it is, which is what always happens in that kind of situation regardless of time or country.

Where is all this Insanely high radiation coming from? Look at Hiroshima and Nagasaki,( Pic related) . When people fire off nukes they do what's called an air burst. It maximizes the size of the fireball and overpressure and kills the largest amount of squishy easily killed humans, plus damages/destroys the largest amount of all but the best constructed buildings. Very little fallout as it never touches the ground. Even in a "building" scenario like in this article, the fireball would just be largely reflected by the many layers of concrete and asphalt in city streets, and would pretty much glass the first layers it hit, there's not a ton of sand or soil In downtowns to make airborne. Real life isn't the fallout series. The worst you'd have to deal with in real life is likely Iodine 131 or I-131.. Nasty shit. But half life is only 8 days. Meaning if you sheltered more or less for 80 days, that's 10 half lifes. You don't have to really worry about i-131 anymore. The other big baddies are Strontium-90, Cesium-134 , Cesium-137.. Those are the worst. Theyre bad because they get in the water... Don't drink the fucking water. Don't eat any animals that have drank the water... Don't go fishing nearby. That's it. Besides. This would only really be a big deal if all of society was wiped out, or if you lived in a soviet shithole. Because in the scenarios presented in the article, the government would come in and clean that shit up eventually. Especially if there was gold in bank vaults nearby. Lol. The fallout-series scenario was so unlikely, that for the games, they not only had to say that all the countries in the alternate universe used ground burst devices, but since not even THAT would create enough fallout, they said that they were "salted bombs." in which you intentionally place something that's gonna create tons of long lived high energy fallout. like, Cobalt-60... But that's ridiculous in this scenario.

Ok, put the tinfoil hat back on the shelf lad. All the radar systems over europe detect the position and direction of a warhead, giving at LEAST 4 minutes.

because you can block radiation with newspaper or magazines. Wood works well too and is larger with the doors. The point isnt to be in the blast wave which would kill you from heat or concussive force but for you to be in a basement, possibly survive the blast wave and then live out the radiation.

In that one british movie about a nuclear holocaust whatever it was, i think one guy and his wife hid behind a door like that.

The wife got fried but he survived.

The delay isn't so much from the detection systems themselves, it's the implementation of the warnings throughout the media infrastructure. There are so many chains of command going from federal to bumhole local with hundreds and thousands of agencies throughout a nation having to properly execute the correct warnings. Even in planned tests or accidental false positives all kind of retarded shit goes wrong from stations not knowing where the warning tape is to just outright ignoring the command thinking it's not real.

i couldnt handle living out the radiation with a copy of mayfair burnt onto my face

>soulless black beady eyes
>hot
Do you enjoy fucking corpses at the morgue?

eh I'd be fine with one minute.

Depends one what radiation. Beta would go through newspaper, you need metal for that