Guys, seriously, is the EM Drive going to change everything?

Space colonization for real? No more Musk meme rockets, but real space saga shit?

dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5043937/Have-physicists-solved-NASA-s-impossible-EmDrive.html

Other urls found in this thread:

ikpress.org/abstract/6485
youtu.be/Rh898Yr5YZ8
express.co.uk/news/world/873332/north-korea-news-space-programme-sanctions-trump-kim-jong-un-latest
abc.net.au/news/2017-09-25/government-to-establish-national-space-agency/8980268
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How do you bounce things in zero gravity without perpetually powering that?

>title is in the form of a question
Article discarded

EM drive can't work you fucking nigger

It's about as efficient as Ion thrusters. You fell for meme journalism, lad.

The only thing i can think of is some kind of mettalic substance drawn magnettically but then you would need a force to recycle it.

I don't know.

In the new study, led by researchers at the University of Lisbon, the team proposes an explanation designed to bridge the gap between quantum and macroscopic systems – a current challenge in the feasibility of the EmDrive.
By the pilot wave theory, bouncing fluid droplets on a vibrating fluid path create what’s known as a pilot-wave field, Prisco explains in an article for Motherboard.
This field then guides the motion of the droplets.
This explanation relies on a nonlinear approach, the authors explain in the study, in which the thrust can be explained as a consequence of the field intensity as it interacts with the particles in the device.
Under the right conditions, such as those in the proposed EmDrive device, the researchers argue that such a system can eschew Newton’s third law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
‘Consequently, since we are in the nonlinear realm it may happen that, in general, action does not equal reaction, even taking into account the intermediary of fields,’ the authors argue.
‘This means that in certain specific conditions a minor action may give rise to a huge reaction.’

ikpress.org/abstract/6485

It's a meme just like fusion power.

No.

youtu.be/Rh898Yr5YZ8

Nothing happened since since it was discovered
Gov took over it and hided research

>(((PBS)))
Wasted quads.

>It's about as efficient as Ion thrusters.
So... it is efficient after all.

It’s a meme.
>daily mail
>science and technology
You’re making a mistake

indeed

>physicists finally work out
>nasa's impossible drive

If the physicists are figuring it out now, who gave the information to NASA

space the biggest meme!

total brainlets only think we can go to space.

NASA = turbo jews getting 25 million tax dollars daily to give us shitty CGI cartoons!

can't get the van allen radiation belts goof balls,

why do you think we haven't been to the moon since the 60s?

"we lost the telemetry data" is Nasa's answer

drink miracle grow, and grow smarter

the only way we'll get space colonization is with generational ships. until then we'll only have the moon and mars

Sure, but it doesn't make space travel any easier than what we're already capably of. The big deal is that it works via some unknown quirk of physics.

Finally someone that gets it!

interesting to see black technology getting leaked into the academy/mass media/general consciousness this way.

i have a feeling that the next 30 years or so are going to be very interesting.

Here are two examples proving that space is a joke

both noko and the outback are starting space programs to boost their economies

how can you make capital by shooting millions of dollars worth of equipment into outer space?

”It is a global trend that a country seeks the economic growth with the space program."

express.co.uk/news/world/873332/north-korea-news-space-programme-sanctions-trump-kim-jong-un-latest

abc.net.au/news/2017-09-25/government-to-establish-national-space-agency/8980268

>until then we'll only have the moon and mars
and venus.

It doesn't work, the effect is caused by fields in the power cables. They've never made it work with self contained power - because it can't.

Of this actually works, it’ll be 1776 on Mars. If this works we can set up a Martian White ethnostate and gas the kikes space war now.

But it doesn't use fuel you nig nogs.
That's the big deal.

No.

Old news.

This guy gets it.

FUCK OFF JEWNIGGER

NOT POLITICAL

You'd probably need an energy input equal to one nuclear bomb a second to power a ship through space...

It requires electricity, which requires...?

>Guys, seriously, is the EM Drive going to change everything?

No, the EM drive produces far too little thrust to be used in order to escape Earth and get into space. This will always be the main hurdle to large scale space colonization. The EM Drive is interesting as it uses no propellant and so could be extremely useful for satellites and other vehicles that spend all their time in space close to the sun but we're not going to start commuting to the moon for our 9-5 jobs any time soon.

It requires light for solar panels.

And Titan

What I don't understand about the em drive is... Why don't we just ship one to space and light it off, see what it does? Would instantly clear up any confusion, and is probably cheaper in the long run than paying ten thousand physics phds around the world running top tier laboratories round the clock to figure it out.

but not Europa

They did and "the scientific community" in murrica refused to accept the results.
Tldr. leftist science.

it violates conservation of momentum, thats the point

it doesnt accelerate any mass in the other direction, like rocket engines or ion engines

Umm sweetie
Ganymede
Enceladus
Europa
Triton
Titan
And many more cool places we could visit
There's water geizers on both europa and enceladus and it's beautiful

don't mind me
just some tech that actually works passing by

What is a space rock punches a hole in your sail? What if there is no sun nearby?

Yo Space: da final frontier. deez is da voyages o' da starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission: ta explore strange new worlds, ta seek out new life an' new civilizations, ta boldly go where nahh one has gone 'bfoe don't make me shank ya!

Some guy, don't know if he was working for nasa, basically built the prototype of this thing out of spare parts and garbage, and got some super faint measurement off it that's been debated for years now. It's was considered more or less in the realm of a perpetual motion device in the beginning.

Makes you wonder if anti gravity or zero point energy is possible

solar winds are really big and go real far real fast.
rocks aren't that big of an issue, and space duck tape will work

ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS - EXCEPT EUROPA. ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE.

WE WAS UHURA AND SHEEEEEIT

What about the lower gravity fucking your bones.

why not

>If the physicists are figuring it out now, who gave the information to NASA
some random british guy

europa is safer than titan . no electrical arcs seen from the planet to the moon and water is common on europa

just go with nuke space ships NASA.
ill ride one.
det a nuke behind the ship and woooooooooooooosh

>without perpetually powering that?
by perpetually powering it with nukes

>u hure

if we can send jpgs through quantum interfaces where they both exist and not exist, perhaps its possible to store fuel sources?

No it fucking isn't you retard. It produces no fucking thrust.

Sails are nice, theoretically they can get to nearly 99%C however you'll never get a sail to accelerate to that percentage because the sail will erode in interstellar medium.
It's too thin to last the time it takes to reach a useful interstellar speed.
You'd need something generating a powerful magnetic field projecting miles in front of the sail to push particles out of the way.

The guy who invented it is a loony who thinks it produces enough thrust to make hover cars.

It doesn't produce any thrust, the very faint force tht was detected with great difficulty is likely a result of the drive warming up.

This shit AGAIN?

>Be German
>Shill and work effortlessly for a decade to make fusion a reality
>Some britbong engineer gets drunk and one night and produces the EM engine

You Jerrys are going about it all wrong.

if it was as good as ion thrusters we would put it on literally every spacecraft.

I wish it was even a tenth as good as ion thrusters, but it doesn't work.

The guy in charge of Skunkworks is reputed to have said we have the tech to get to Jupiter. I was told this by a friend who works for a National Lab. I honestly don't doubt it, our public understanding of magnetics is unforgivably poor.

Ffs, just declassify the Aurora so I can have my flying cars

(((Magic)))

Exactly

>visiting Mars on Devon Island

Nuclear pulse drive (orion drive) would take us anywhere we want, but it works with nuclear bombs, so normies hate it.

Stop paying taxes

>electromagnetic drive
hmm

Does it use Lorentz force?

This is complete pseudoscience, although it would be awesome if de Broglie's/Bohm's pilot wave theories were vindicated and we got an intuitive interpretation of QM.

>would take us anywhere we want
But would take a hell of a long time. But since orion drive works smoother with a bigger mass to push, I suppose that live-a-bord-for-generations isn't a too bad scenario.
Because we really do need a way to leave the eaters behind.

As long as we don't use dangerous polluting and harmful for the environment nuclear fuel or chemicals in space I'm all for it.

Though I believe the best solution is to tap ecologically safe energy like solar using panels and sails.

We gotta learn to live in harmony with the environment or the environment might decide to live without us.

I do not know if this EM drive stuff is a joke or not, but damn, you are being thick. They are saying it is something different and you are asking how it can work in the same old way. Daily mail is crap and they have bad grammar in the article by Cheyenne MacDonald so, jesus, reading the bullet statements in that pic makes me wonder how in the heck Cheyenne MacDonald writes sentences for a living.

EMD can at best create a static force in a non-accelerating reference frame, or else it would literally be an infinite energy from nowhere machine:
> attach two to the ends of a rotor, let them spin up, extract power if their force output doesn't drop

maybe they could be used to make shit that just floats in place, or (partially?) counteracts gravity, so planes and booster rockets would be more efficient?

you are fucking stupid and undeserving of those numbers.

orion drive gets to jupiter in less than a year. You don't need a generation ship when you're traveling within the same solar system.

I'll believe it when I fucking see it. Sick of false promises.

Yeah because we just counteract gravity.

The EMD creates thrust in any direction. gravity doesn't have anything to do with it

>the field can guide the motion of the droplets
sure buddy
scientists are the new fortune tellers. Come up with every bs story in the book.

If pilot waves are real, it means the whole copenhagen interpretation of QM needs to change, from the multi-verse kind of QM to pilot waves.

Can't solve this theoretically without big impacts on physics theories.

it's the secret of the nazi flying saucers

The EM-drive works.
The one who tries to test it in space with adequate power should be killed on the spot for endangering the planet.

Can some rich user purchase the PDF and post screenshots plx?

That’s the thing. This really is so simple, anyone could replicate it. Maybe the government has the research, but the cats out of the bag on this one. It’s a microwave in a sealed container

>implying our models of the universe are correct.

We already have working fission reactors, that is public knowledge. Take a submarine reactor and throw it in space with a big em drive and go explore

Retards.

Because heat numbnuts

Would pushing shit out of the way not lower your theoretical speed since their is now a resistive force ahead of the craft? I agree you would have to do that, but it would break the ship

If it really works, yes. We'll have numerous satellites around every major body in the solar system because the cost to send sattelites that far will dramatically reduce. Space missions will be a lot cheaper if you don't need any fuel after you leave the atmosphere.. although it would take time to scale this tech up to being able to make any sort of decent propulsion for a manned craft, that would probably take a decade or two, but the scientific gains in the meantime would be pretty significant

And yet it does...

Reminder that the Copenhagen interpretation (theory of relativity) is a Jewish invention by (((Einstein))) and the pilot wave theory makes much more sense.

If it actually works, then physics just got flipped over and everybody is going to have a hissy fit over how the universe actually works.

>The EMD creates thrust in any direction. gravity doesn't have anything to do with it

right, was just trying to say that it seems imaginable that it could be used to apply force from nowhere, as long as it isn't actually achieving any work with that force. making planes effectively lighter (or capable of hovering like blimps) seems like the main thing this could be used for. not even sure you could use it to lighten an accelerating rocket without violating conservation of energy.

space junk and rocks are WAY less common than most think. Very low chance for something with the potential to damage it coming into contact with it.

Physics is a meme

>pilot wave theory
you hidden variable fucktards don't seem to understand
there is literally ABSOLUTELY NO NEED FOR PILOT WAVE
even if you're a nonlocalist, instantaneous wavefunction can be explained and dealt with all within the framework of classical quantum field theory, and the blatant rejection of basically the existence of light makes you look retarded
we have come a long way since the 1940s or whenevrr pilot wave was memed into existence
again, literally everything that (((pilot wave theory))) "explains" is described by TQFT without comprimise
why dont pilot wave tards just admit they are babby tier nonlocalists who don't actually care about physics

>the blatant rejection of basically the existence of light makes you look retarded
There is no evidence for the existence of light. Light is simply a convenient model for describing the interactions of charged particles at a distance.

>build a working mEMe Drive
>proceed to explore the cosmos
>run into other sentient beings
>they have a universal council of space faring civilizations
>different species have different ways of achieving intergalactic space travel
>they are curious of our method of stellar transportation and want us to join
>explain the mEMe Drive
>get banned until the heat death of the universe

from what i understand it wouldn't lower your rate of acceleration and if it did, it wouldn't lower it enough to be noticeable.
The particles are pushing on the field but the field is not being pushed on the craft.

EM drive is a meme, Nasa fucked up again.

>Can some rich user purchase the PDF and post screenshots plx?
Come on, it is 30 Burgerbucks, you can do it. I assume you are rich because you are a Burger. We Germans are wagecucks and have no money, it is all with our friendly Middle Eastern guests.