Cardcaptor Sakura

I seriously did not expect yet more gay from this show. Like it had a lot of gay, and maybe I should have seen this coming, but god damn.

You're the gay user.

Thanks for that input Sup Forumsnon, you make a really solid point.

Also, now that I'm actually watching S3, I don't understand why people shit on it as much as they do. The only real flaw I can find in it is that there's not really a major threat, but then CCS has never really been about strong antagonists. S3 seems to have two.

First you've got Eriol, who is in the traditional position of the antagonist in order to provide monster-of-the-week services, but it becomes apparent almost immediately that he's actually a protag in disguise, trying to build up Sakura's strength so she can deal with the second antagonist:

Which is, of course, the ticking clock. Sakura needs to become more powerful so that she can support the drain of all these different magical appliances, as it were.

On the one hand this plot configuration just doesn't feel as imposing because there's not a really clear threat. In the first seasons you had Sakura's dreams making it clear that we were heading to a final showdown, and while it's obvious that there's going to be some form of final showdown in S3, the one thing we really know for sure is that the stakes are gonna be just for show, or at best tangential. We know that Eriol isn't really an antagonist in the traditional sense of the villain, and even though the final showdown may determine whether Sakura is strong enough to support her magical card friends and be happy, that's not really a clear link to the big climactic ending in tangible terms.

On the other hand I think it's actually really clever and a lot more interesting than I would have expected. It's easy to argue that the logical end of the show is when Sakura becomes the master of the cards, but if you think of S3 as a sequel then I don't think they could have done a better job, and it's very much helped that they didn't blow their whole load of character development early on.

As someone who usually drops a show when gay shit starts happening, I didn't really mind it in the end when watching this show. Thought it was pretty well done IN THE END.

I thought the whole gay thing with Shaoron was retarded and even the show realized that too as it basically just gave up that plotline and said "LOL IT WAS MOON MAGIC". I guess Clamp just felt that Sakura needed a love rival or something.

In the end it doesn't matter. Sharon/Sakura OTP

Make sure to watch the second movie after you finish the show OP

>As someone who usually drops a show when gay shit starts happening
Are you weak or something?

I was a little turned off by the Shaoron gay stuff, but looking back on it now, his character needed that. From what I've heard, apparently both the gay for yuki think AND Meilin were anime original. Imagine those two pieces being taken away and their voids being filled with basically nothing. That's what his character was in the manga as far as I can tell.

I remember watching this as a kid and not thinking there was anything wrong with Xiaroan's crush on Yukito. I don't even think I realized homosexuality was a thing until I was like 12.

I just don't feel like watching gay stuff. It does nothing for me. I don't feel anything when I watch it, so why would I?

It doesn't really matter in CCS because it's really just a side thing and it's handled pretty tastefully.

The funny thing about CCS is watching it, discussing it, then realizing that the homosexuality Clamp put in is a family picnic compared to pairing off the Japanese main heroine with a Chinese love interest.

I disagree. Syaoran was a wasted character. They quickly got him out of the way by turning him into a generic love interest while using Yukito and Meilin as his own running gags to write most of his scenes.

That's the other thing I didn't enjoy. The flanderization of Syaoran. He begins as this badass character who can handle his own but eventually becomes Sakura's partner and they form a bond. Back-to-Back badasses incoming?

Nope! They become love rivals for Yukito's love, Meilin starts wasting all of Syaoran's screentime in jokes, the stronger Sakura becomes the more useless Syaoran becomes and once he falls for Sakura he's ALWAYS thinking about her.

I had great hopes for Syaoran but they quickly got tired of him and made him irrelevant. It's only because he's main love interest why the story even needs him.

Well, that's kind of the point I was making. His character was really thin in the manga so they tried to give him something to do in the anime. They didn't fundamentally change him or his motivations, but basically gave him some busy work. I definitely agree that he's one of the least compelling characters, but we got Meilin out of the deal so it's hard for me to fault the anime.

That's actually a really interesting point I hadn't considered. To what degree do nips consider Hong Kongers and Chinese to be different peoples?

Didn't Tomoyo's mom have a crush on Sakura's mom? And weren't they also cousins?

I love Cardcaptor Sakura but shit's real weird man

Re-reading your comment I see I missed your point. I haven't read the manga but I'm taking your word for account.

And I'm parroting what I've read in previous CCS threads from people who supposedly did read the manga, so take my word with a grain of salt. I probably won't bother reading it either, because the consensus seems to be that the anime is a pretty complete and faithful adaptation with chiefly positive additions.

Eh, it's Touya and Yukito's relationship is relatively normal considering that one of the reason CCS is infamous for is the how romantic relationships.

I mean you have:
-Sakura and Touya's parents, where their dad met with Nadeshiko when he was working at Nadeshiko's school where she was a student at the time and they got married virtually right away and she was 16. And then Touya had a past relationship with Kaho when she was teaching at his junior high school. Although Rika and Terada-sensei take the cake considering Rika is only 10 years old. Although, Kaho ends up with Eriol, a shota, is just as bad even if he is one half of Clow Reed and hold his memories
- When you have Tomoyo's mom who was clearly in love with Nadeshiko even though they were first cousins. And Tomoyo is clearly in love with Sakura and they're second cousins. And if we count Meiling, that's another cousincest type relationship.

Shit's crazy, son.

It's almost easier to list characters who DON'T have an inappropriate relationship at any point. Like Sakura is into yuki who is obviously way too old for her, her dad married her mom who was like a student of his or something? Meilin and Shaoron were causins, Tomoyo is gay for Sakura, and if we're sticking with humans only:

1. That dude who always lies in their class and the chick who always drags him off, their relationship seems fine as far as I can tell. Probably cousins though, who the fuck knows.
2. That megane girl who likes scary stories is pretty asexual as far as I can remember.
3. Probably the great-grandfather? But the relationship he had with his great-granddaughter and having Sakura wear her dress and stuff felt a little uncomfortable to me, at least. Maybe I'm just a sick fuck.

I've got to be forgetting somebody.

Yes, Sonomi was Nadeshiko's first cousina and clearly in love with Nadeshiko and was a reason she treated Fujitaka like shit for a while.

Now you realize that Tomoyo and Sakura are also second cousins.

>Although Rika and Terada-sensei take the cake considering Rika is only 10 years old.

I completely forgot about that one. I think the anime even got rid of that ship because holy shit we're not going to condone pedophilia on national television.

I can't remember if the anime kept it in or not, but I do know that they did keep Rika's crush/love for Terada-sensei in considering it was tied into one of the Clow Cards.

I'm OP so I haven't finished it yet, but this ship has definitely been recurring through the entire series.

Why watch a CLAMP show? There's always a gay and a lesbian couple.

A lot of the gay you see is "left to interpretation" at most. All the "implied gay" and weird shit could be attributed to, well, adolescence. Aside from the teacher-student relationships, I didn't see anything particularly controversial and I think these thoughts are the products of modern perspectives forcing the legit homosexual and depraved into puppy love.

anyone hyped for the new season/enjoying clear cards arc?

>implied gay
>Clamp

Nigga, what? Yukito and Touya are soulmates.

soulmates =/= gay
like I said, it's up to interpretation. It's as if people forgot about completely platonic bromances.

Oh, I get it. You mean it's up to delusion.

Correct. The homosexual delusion being one of them.

dat arpeggiator at the end of ep 69. unf.

It's bait basically. People are free to think whatever they want. CLAMP isn't gonna make anything official. They're not known for making clear statements so their couples won't get a different treatment unless the plot demands an off-spring.