Death of fansubs

How do you feel about the death of fansubbing?

Have services such as CR in your >opinion managed to attain acceptable levels of quality and therefore made fansubs unnecessary?

Other urls found in this thread:

animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-10-28/.108210
animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-04-06/.100691
animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-11-21/.108323
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I know enough Japanese to not need fansub. They can die for all I care.

considering these past seasons has been full of libsubs, no.

We keep getting this thread, and OP keeps proving he's a newfag.

For the most part, yes. Fansubbing was always shit.

I only miss the karaoke.

What's libsubs?

It's what you do when you don't get the script sent to you by the studio but have to figure out what the characters are saying by listening very closely and trying to ignore the background noise.

This.
I kind of miss those cheesy effects, mostly out of nostalgia, I think.

Also typesetting.

>cr
"acceptable" is the term but fansubs shouldn't go away. fansubs will also always be needed in some way because those companies only care about pocketing most of the money themselves and sticking to what be most popular/money bringing
inb4 miles or other shills

Well, it's not that completely dead.

Kuromukuro got fansubbed, even when the dead group stopped midway.

Some shows that are only streamed with hardsubs still get softsub scripts made.

But fansubbing was always about speed, not quality for a vast majority out there, so it was obvious that it will mostly die once there's commercial competition.

t. butthurt fansuber

its more like fansubbing has switched gears. while some groups do try to put out subs as shows are airing I noticed several groups have switched over and are just doing BD when they're released. Probably because it gives them a larger time table and not have to speed sub it.

I love the fansubs have higher quality meme. I mean are we supposed to trust autistic NEETs and jobless English majors instead of actual professional translators.
>but look at these screenshots, professionals got this one line wrong
which proves fucking nothing other than they are human and make mistakes, fansubbers likely make more mistakes when they don't just fuck up on purpose just to be obnoxious memers

What I fear is that most current fansubbers just use Crunchyroll subs, slightly reword it, and then release it on their own.

>Retarded professional translators from Daisuki do a better job than a bunch of anons.

Not this time, motherfucker.

Also,

>How do you feel about the death of fansubbing?

Fansubbing is NOT dead. I still do it. There's still enough groups doing it because....

>Have services such as CR in your opinion managed to attain acceptable levels of quality

...they haven't been able to meet my demanding standards.

Fans need to call out the licensing companies and tell them when they fuck up a title or dialogue translation. As long as fans care and take the time to voice an educated opinion, fansubs will be there to uncover the truth.

Agreed. Only weeb scum and degenerates care about fansubs and dubs.

One nice thing about Daisuki is that they do have at least multiple translation options.

On the whole CR subs are far better than fansubs ever were. But there was definitely series good groups picked up that were subbed a lot better because they knew the source material unlike most of the CR subbers and they actually cared about the material, it was a passion project not a job.

anyone have that b gata h key sub comparison image?

They suck balls definitely, but let's face it, would all those shitty shows even get subs in the first place if not for simulcasting? Like people bitch about Daisuki crap in Stella no Mahou, myself included, but I can't imagine anyone fansubbing this show (and no group is even "fansubbing" it either).

Turns out that everyone was just an attention-hog.

Exactly. There are so many old (I mean made in the '70s and '80s) shows that need fansubbing, but there is little attention to be gained with those, since few people would watch.

Quite a few from the early 2000's as well.

I miss fansub drama.

What's wrong with Daisuki's translations? Mind you, I only watched M3 and Gundam from their catalogue.

They're rather wonky at English.
Which of course makes sense, since they're a Japanese streaming service provider that belongs to the Anime Consortium.

Provide me with an example.

They've obtained levels of quality no less acceptable on average than fansubs were on average. So I don't really care.

>Anime Consortium
is this something like jedi council?

Fuck you KoG

Well, Concrete Revolutio is one where you can compare Daisuki-subs with the ones provided by Funimation.
In terms of providing an useful English translation, Funimation's version was the better one of course.

I miss [gg] guys

What do you mean by a useful English translation?

HorribleSubs works tirelessly to sub almost every anime that airs.

More like its counterpart from the Trade Federation.
They're literally bumbling around trying to find a way how to make anime more popular among gaijins.

i only need fansubs when a show i want isn't airing/funi is subbing it, because funi is y'know, cancer.

cr is just fine. the ones subbing are paid professionals, the quality is nice, and i don't understand japanese at all so i'm not anal about their mistakes.

can someone explain to me why they prefer fansubs over cr?

Jokes on you, they're now sharing the same translators since they partnered up.

Translators? Like, whoring them out or something? Wasn't it that CR hosts some Funi shows and that's it?

Yeah, every show Funi licenses will be on CR now

But that doesn't imply they share translators.

Let's make some things clear. 90% of fansubs ever release were of low quality. People praise groups like Eclipse, for example. But Eclipse had terrible editing and most of their subs sounded like a machine translation of Japanese. The meaning was correct, but the English was not.

Fansubs are not completely dead, not should they die. People still need fansubs for shows like Precure (Thank you user for contnuing that) and for BD specials/movie that don't get released on CR/Funi/Daisuke.

We also need fansubs because some of the official subs for shows are garbage

But we won't get them.

do cr translators get a script, a few hours before it airs, or what ? im sure they dont do it by ear right

Give some examples. No, not adding honorifics is not a valid example of grabage. Sure, Funi's subs were of questionable quality, but those are pretty much dead since CR will be doing their shows.

good riddance, now if only dubbing would take off with a good large amount of VAs

They actually do get a script, yes.

Yes. Also, here's an article how simulcasts work.

animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-10-28/.108210

Haikyuu
Shirobako
Uchoten Kazoku
Haruchika
Occultic;Nine
Nourin
Pretty much any Aniplex show in the past two years

This list isn't even comprehensive, despite including the line about Aniplex shows

>Give some examples
Just like a pla-
>Sure, Funi's subs were of questionable quality, but those are pretty much dead since CR will be doing their shows.
Come on, you can't ask for examples and then disqualify the best ones.

Indeed. And don't let the name Horrible fool you. HS are the best fansub group in town!

Commie, herkz, rhe, rori, sutai, mazui, jaka, rem, eien, fff, aoi-chan, dmonhiro, fotc, matt, horriblesubs, nothing else comes to my mind right now.
Oh and also Daiz.

thanks for that, it explains a lot of some of clunky or awkward stuff I've seen from shows coming out of cr i think they are stretched quite thin

i think funi has either better resources or a lower workload, their quality seems to be more consistent

Great... you actually give examples and I can't comment on any of them.

OK, OK... I might have forgotten something: English subtitles made by Japanese comanies. Those.... well... kind of suck. They aren't incopreehensible, just....annoying.

>Sure, Funi's subs were of questionable quality, but those are pretty much dead since CR will be doing their shows.
If Funi licenses the show, their translators will work on it. They're just using CR to host the simulcast.

I remember somebody did a comparison between Funi's and Daisuki's Haruchika and Funi was Hadena-quality.

>subs
>quality

>Commie, herkz
why would you list the same group twice

>How do you feel about the death of fansubbing?
Happy. I can now watch anime almost as soon as it comes out as opposed to waiting weeks for fansubbers to get off their asses.

me too

why can't CR translate the fucking lyrics? Sometimes they have relevance to the plot of the show.

Funi is generally shit, but they at least take the extra step and give us the lyrics for most shows.

Herkz is just the most vocal of the bunch.

nice shitpost

commie devs please leave

I too look forward to watching Girlish Number six days after it airs

Reminder that fucking Chihiro is still alive.

Need extra licensing right for songs.

Please be lying to me. I was actually looking forward to that.

So what fansubs has always been?

Probably because they would need to seek extra permissions from music labels.

barely

I'll gladly put up with that considering tens of other shows air nearly same-day.

>stupid weebs want honorifics in their subs
>why isn't anyone downloading my subs?

>Need extra licensing right for songs.

so why is funi doing it?

why spend more if their competition isn't doing it?

They've released at least five episodes in the last month, that counts. I've got no idea whether they did the scripts themselves or not, of course, because why the fuck would I watch Chihiro, but they're fairly active at least.

Maybe they pay their staff poorly enough to afford it

Underwater (Daiz) actually has the right idea of having an alternate sub track so you get both.

I'm sorry for my ignorance but whats wrong with chihiro? my only experience with them has been izetta this season and i feel like they're pretty ok.

Daiz, pls.

i don't understand why more fansub groups don't do this.

Actually, the nip companies give Funi the rights to translate songs because Funi does dubbing, which is considered a way to reach a greater mainstream audience.

Bad TLs. Izetta's one of the few exceptions for them.

Source for that?

I don't mind CR dominating the sub scene since that means more subs made by former fansubbers which means more quality subs and that means less shitposting about "muh superior fansub group".

lets not forget garbage fansubs like commie/gg
id take cr or even funi over that shit any day

checked

animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-04-06/.100691

animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-11-21/.108323

Waiting six days to watch your new anime. Horrible.

Also, once the first ep is out, then the wait between each ep is still only 1 week.

That's not what I asked for. Neither mentions why Funi translates song lyrics and CR doesn't.

They did Macross Delta last season user.

Transport raws exist.

Or at least, existed.

Herkz is cancerous tho.

>professional translators
Sometimes I see these "translations" and laugh at how people pay to get this garbage.

im typically against CR, but in some cases their subs actually save us from inaccurate fansubs so im actually thankful for them

case in point, half of JoJo Part 4's manga fan translation is either butchered (removing Josuke's "Great"s) or embellished (adding cusses to Echoes Act 3 that were never there).

soon fags who say vento aureo will get BTFO as well, based CR.

>I don't mind CR dominating the sub scene
how are you still salty about Daiz putting you on blast

It's even worse when you find out the subs are bad

Anime feels somehow colder and less personal. Can also tell when the language elitist english majors with a minor in japanese get their heads up their own ass when it comes to subbing things.

The murder of subs(and we all know what happened) is directly responsible for the complete drop in popularity when it comes to anime, manga, and jap games.
The modern corner cutting and creepy otaku/fujo pandering stuff is the last nail in the coffin.

It's true.

How many of you know how to fansub? How many of you have?

>implying fansubbers could do better in general