St. Christopher- The Dogheaded Saint

If your name is Christopher, you're named after the this saint. They're called the Cynocephali, a race that was considered quite real for thousands of years; Jesus even had an encounter with them.

ucc.ie/archive/milmart/chrsirish.html

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynocephaly#Saint_Christopher
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

kill yourself faggot

Someone is salty their name is Christopher.

Canaanites were furrys.

>There was a persecution of Christians in time of the emperor Decius, and the holy man Christopher was taken and tortured like the others. Christopher was exceedingly wise, and had observed that the Lord assisted those of the heathen who believed just as much as he assisted Christians. Now this Christopher was one of the Dogheads, a race that had the heads of dogs and ate human flesh. He meditated much on God, but at that time he could speak only the language of the Dogheads. When he saw how much the Christians suffered he was indignant and left the city. He began to adore God and prayed. "Almighty God," he said, "give me the gift of speech, open my mouth, and make plain thy might that those who persecute thy people may be converted".

Wow, Christian mythology used to be cool as fuck

Some say it was mistranslated, but who knows.

Indeed.

Cynocephali are one those universal mythological creatures like dragons. Marco Polo even mentions it from talking with locals about nearby islands.

Not like dog men aren't a feature of basically all northern folklore. Not like we don't get reports of them in the Midwest.... Didn't know the Bible had cryptids lol.

it could of meant stubborn headed, dog was used as a prefix in rome.

The Bible has loads of cryptids; unicorns and nephilim just to name a couple.

Yep, seems to be something lost in translation that was taken literally. It could've been stubborn or a description to a group of people that appeared wildlike (barbarian) in nature. Romans often looked down on people of the north (gauls, Germanic tribes, anglo-saxons) as uncivilized, brutish and animalistic.

No they did not.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynocephaly#Saint_Christopher

>In the Eastern Orthodox Church, certain icons covertly identify Saint Christopher with the head of a dog. The background to the dog-headed Christopher is laid in the reign of the Emperor Diocletian, when a man named Reprebus, Rebrebus or Reprobus (the "reprobate" or "scoundrel") was captured in combat against tribes dwelling to the west of Egypt in Cyrenaica. To the unit of soldiers, according to the hagiographic narrative, was assigned the name numerus Marmaritarum or "Unit of the Marmaritae", which suggests an otherwise-unidentified "Marmaritae" (perhaps the same as the Marmaricae Berber tribe of Cyrenaica). He was reported to be of enormous size, with the head of a dog instead of a man, apparently a characteristic of the Marmaritae. This Byzantine depiction of St. Christopher as dog-headed resulted from their misinterpretation of the Latin term Cananeus (Canaanite) to read canineus, that is, "canine".[8] The German bishop and poet Walter of Speyer portrayed St. Christopher as a giant of a cynocephalic species in the land of the Chananeans (Canaan in the New Testament) who ate human flesh and barked. Eventually, Christopher met the Christ child, regretted his former behavior, and received baptism. He, too, was rewarded with a human appearance, whereupon he devoted his life to Christian service and became an athlete of God, one of the soldier-saints.[9] There are some rare icons that depict this martyr with the head of a dog. Such images may carry echoes of the Egyptian dog-headed god, Anubis; and Christopher pictured with a dog's head is not generally supported by the Orthodox Church.[citation needed]

>not true scotsman
Nice one Christopher

this belongs on /his/

>not true scotsman
Not sure you know what that means.

Hey wolfshiem, i have to ask, what happend to the christian generals that used to be regular around here. I havent seen one for about a week. Have i just been missing them or something?

>using Wikipedia as a source
>mfw

The story I linked was Irish Catholic. The mistranslated criticism is pretty lame revisionist BS, back when they were trying to "modernize" and "de-paganize" Christianity.

What a coincidence that the Human Flesh eating/ Child Sacrifing/ Moloch Worshipping Canaanites have their name misinterpreted so people think they are flesh eating monsters.

Maybe there is some truth to it. Dogman = Reptilians? Would fit. The false translation made them dogs.

So all dogs DO go to heaven

From the Catholic/Christian Generals being daily in 2015, at the end of the year /his/ happened, moving a lot of religious discussion there. The split hurt the commonality of religious discussion here and the 2016 election made it much worse. With the new Redditors that migrating being anti-Christian and often anti-theist the threads that some would make come up less.
However I never kept up with them so I cannot say the reason the creators themselves stopped.

>cite an encyclopedia with citations
>try to refute it with no evidence whatsoever like this is some sort of improvement
Show me evidence that a change was made to show modernization. I have already given evidence to the claim that people misunderstood a word associated with St. Christopher that led him to think he was a Cynocephali.

Pic related in St. Christopher artwork before modernity was even a thing.

It is cute.

Apparently their was a big debate over this, the cynocephaly were considered degenerate sons of Adam and therefore had souls unlike other beasts.
This was because they had laws, used tools, reason, traded, herded livestock and used barking to communicate.

Studying cynocephali is really weird, mostly because accounts of them are so matter of fact.

wtf i hate my name now

Your wiki source is a book written by an art professor, not a theologian or a linguistical expert, heck the last line you pasted in said citation needed.

The story I linked is from 15th-century manuscripts, about the time of the Schism. Iconoclasm is very common especially after the Schism and after Vatican II they pretty much dropped St. Christopher.

pic related, it's 9th century Greek Saint Christoper.

>Didn't know the Bible had cryptids lol.
Well, it even mentions unicorns as kosher and griffons as not kosher.

>With the new Redditors that migrating being anti-Christian
Bitch, Sup Forums was NEVER as pro-christian as it is now. For fucks sake christian generals used to be fucking illegal and "kike on a stick" wasn't just a meme, it was a common attitude.

These old Greek ones are pretty cute.

It might have some link with cult of Hermanubis the same way as Wilgefortis was inspired by misuderstood greek icons.

This is a possibility.

Ye old Christians and jews seemed to have been dead set on Canaanites being dogheads and were suppose to be exterminated.